• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is a very dramatic take on the removal of two years-old products from the web-based PS Store in my opinion. I still play my PS Vita, too, but I think a bit of perspective is needed.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
All i know is this:
I don't spend $500 in new hardware to play 5 year old games.

It's good to have the chance to play them on new hardware? For sure...
It's important to have your legacy easily playable? Damn right!

But in the end the amount of time i'd use BC would be minimal.
I mean...look at Sony's launch line up for the PS5.

Who would actually play PS One, PS2, PS3 games on day one on a PS5? It's good to have the choice but let's face it...it's not a priority.

And the article reads almost like we can't play PS4 on it.

I'm sure they will do something about it...but not right now. They are busy doing...you know...games. New ones.
But the PS5 line-up does not consist of PS5 only games, plenty are cross-gen. You are just echoing what others want, the best version of those games. What some of you fail to realize is many just want to play great games and not everyone owned a PS3. For all of you who stay with Playstion gen after gen I get it but not everyone does that. The PS3 had some great games that could really benefit with the new hardware, instead we get (a great looking) remake of a PS3 game as the lead title.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I agree. This is why remakes and remasters are very lucrative. However I think robust cloud solutions going forward will help a lot.

Totally - I hope that as this generation continues, PS spends some time really strengthening PS Now and their investment in Gakai...the full potential is not even close to being realized.

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
If Sony would be as dedicated as Microsoft to give new life to old games

if MS weren't as dedicated as they are towards backwards compatibility, how many games would be playable day one on XSX/XSS ? Not many....

MS had to find a way to make up for their lack of 1st/2nd party input, and they are doing so by promoting their (very good) interoperability with older systems. Something Sony doesn't need to do...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't going to respect their own legacy with serious efforts toward BC, then they shouldn't make their legacy a pillar of of their marketing

Fucking THANK YOU.

This is the fucking company that can't even leave their damn desktop portal to their PS3 store up. Even though the backend is already fucking there. Plenty of web developers on Era have expressed their own confusion why this would even be difficult to maintain.

They just actively say fuck you to their own legacy. I hate it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
People had to see the writing on the wall with how they rolled out the PlayStation Classic. It sucks, but that's just how the current management feels about their legacy. Maybe that will change after Jim is either promoted or retires.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I still get a feeling Ryan called for such a limited BC. Walling off PS3 still makes no sense.
tenor.gif
What? Walling off PS3 is the part about this that makes the most sense, that system is a catastrophe architecturally

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
My poor PS3 has become a Netflix machine because games will cause the console to overheat. Thing was always a piece a crap but it didn't deserve this lol

No BC is a giant shame, but I want Microsoft to announce that they're resuming their BC programme before I start throwing spaghetti at Sony again.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to disagree with this though. I still use my PS3 and Vita very frequently - multiple times a week. Microsoft is doing a much better job on this front.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wish more people actually gave them shit for this. They basically abandoned every single Generation before PS4, and I just don't get how no one seems bothered. It has brought me literally minutes away from cancelling my pre-order numerous times, because it just annoys me so much.

Do it, they aren't going to move because people are moaning about it if they still buy the console. I don't really care about it as there's only a few games i would touch again pre-PS4. But if you're getting annoyed about a plastic box then you should do something about it and move on to another console.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo had nearly 100% BC with their last few systems and got shit on for worrying about it and offering controller BC at the time. Most people accept the Switch as a clean break due to controller and architecture differences. They also are trying to bring their old libraries to the Switch in one way or another and have clearly made strides in making emulators of their old machines for Switch.
Sure, but I mean this applies to Sony as well. Most of Sonys systems are BC. PS2 was BC with PS1, PS3 was BC with PS2 and PS1 Vita was BC with psp and PS1. Really only the PS4 has not had BC and the PS5 likely can't do PS3 BC due to hardware limitations. But they are bringing those libraries to the PS5 in one way or another (PSNow and PS3 games)

Really only Microsofts BC has gone above and beyond going to 360, and og xbox, and a lot of that has to do with circumstances (although Microsoft should certainly be commended for doing so)

EDIT: With that being said, PS1 BC and PS2 BC being lacking in the PS5 is a huge bummer. at least the PS1, PS2 classics off PSN should carry over.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
It's not just that. Pretty much all PS generations are based on wildly different architectures. As a result, they are very difficult to emulate. The PS5 is the first time it's possible to achieve 100% BC and they are doing it.
Og xbox, Xbox, 360, and the x1 are all completely different architectures. This excuse about PlayStation not having bc for that reason is growing tired. Ps1 and 2 software bc exists and Sony just doesn't give a damn because they've got insane market share.

Oct 27, 2017
Due to the fact that my backlog is and will likely always be out of control, I'm getting all third party games going forward on Xbox consoles due to their BC solution. I've held off on so many games just for this. For the past whatever, I've been playing my switch, wii u and ps3. I'm still getting ps4/xb1 games, just so I can have them ready for the new launches.

Dreamchaserhg

Sep 3, 2019
Look, I understand where people are coming from about how Sony not being the greatest when it comes to BC, but i personally feel like they're trending upwards going from a system with 0% Native BC (PS4) to a system with almost 100% Native BC for a previous console (PS5). It's getting better not worse.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I think the PS5 launch lineup speaks volumes about Sony's view of old games.

Why would you let people play the PS3 version of Demon's Souls when people will clearly pay $70 for a remake? I'm not saying there isn't $70 worth of value in that Demon's Souls remake, but it explains why they don't care to let you play the older games on the new hardware.

That and the lack of Smart Delivery for Spider-Man PS4. I plan on grabbing Miles for PS4 since I won't have a PS5 for a bit, and its super disappointing to either have to rebuy a game I already own, or play an inferior version of it. Doesn't make sense when their competitor is offering Smart Delivery.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The vitriol with which this article is written is wild to me.

I just cannot find it in me to care about backwards compatibility. I'm going to play a few games from last gen in the first 6 months, and then never again. And if it's beyond that, honestly, I want a new and improved remaster.

Would it be nice if everything in perpetuity always worked on every new console? Yes. I just still wouldn't use it and I really wonder how much it matters to most users. Not all features are created equal.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people on era don't care and will just wait for a remaster or remake.

If hardcore players don't care about backwards compatibility I'm pretty sure most of the casual gaming audience doesn't care. These are the people making up most of the console sales. People forget how many just want to play the next cod, gta and fifa.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Sony's complete and utter lack of regard for their history (unless they can pay someone like Bluepoint a lot of money to put a shiny-ass filter over it and charge full price, that is) is one of the many reasons I've soured so hard on them as a company in recent years.

Jim Ryan doesn't give a shit about anything pre-PS4, and it shows in so many ways. I would trade any number of Last of Uses or Horizons into the abyss if it meant getting a leader who actually values things beyond the latest AAA hits.

Embarrassing take Smasher.

On topic, its always such a struggle for me when it comes to BC. I have so many current gen games to play I just cannot fathom having the time and energy to finish my current catalog, let alone play through the oldies!

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Video games is maybe one of the few mediums that just shows utter contempt for its legacy, and has diligently trained its customers to never ever question that in any case. There are so many things we will be losing in the next few years because of that. While it's never expected to preserve absolutely everything (a big chunk of movies and books are, after all, lost). But I can still go buy some reprint DVD or some fucking awful movie today way easier than I could get to play a good game from the PS3 era, let alone something older.

It would be also less of a a problem if there was at least a legal and accessible alternative to this, but there usally isn't, and companies like Sony and Nintendo make absolutely sure of that.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Is Gears?
Is ori?

not sure if they are
Neither are

Smart delivery is nothing more than a marketing term for a free upgrade for games that come out at the same time, which Sony has as well. The only old game is gears5 from late 2019, and good on Xbox for improving it for free and putting smart delivery on it. But it was really only done because without reincorporating old games their launch lineup would be even more abysmal than now.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
I'm one of those people.

PS1-3 were cool but I'd rather they fully remake that stuff from the ground up. PS4 BC is all I need on ps5
Yuuuppp, backwards compatibility is a bonus not a necessity. The only game I would care to go back and play from PS3 is MGS4, I still have my disc just on a PS3 but I'm not going to be up in arms over it for the rest of my life and shit on a platform for it. And as the poster above had mentioned, it seems only Sony is the one who gets flak for it when Nintendo is just as bad if not worse at abandoning their past games.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I so regret having the PS3 as my Main Platform, if i would have gone with the 360 i could play most of those Games on the newer Console which would benefit so much from stronger Hardware.

Fuck Sony for not caring about preservation, it's such an important thing and when you are sitting on the richest Catalogue of Games of past 4 Generations and don't care about them then you frankly also don't deserve to be part of the industry. Selling shiny Remakes of older Games for full price instead of just offering the older ones and pretending those are now the definitive versions to play those Games is arrogant and fuels this idea that Games are disposable and get bad over time, when in reality that couldn't be further from the truth.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of hilarious at this point how often that Jim Ryan quote gets jumped on, as if this is all his fault.

Just remember that Sony have had this approach to BC since just after the $599 PS3 catastrophe, long before Ryan was the CEO. They switched their focus to remastering and reselling the best games from previous generations in favour of native BC, and that continued right through to the PS4.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Yep. Sony's complete and utter lack of regard for their history (unless they can pay someone like Bluepoint a lot of money to put a shiny-ass filter over it and charge full price, that is) is one of the many reasons I've soured so hard on them as a company in recent years.

Jim Ryan doesn't give a shit about anything pre-PS4, and it shows in so many ways. I would trade any number of Last of Uses or Horizons into the abyss if it meant getting a leader who actually values things beyond the latest AAA hits.
Nothing against you but this is the second time you are undermining BP work on this game, you have something against them?

On topic, save for the PS3 compared to the competition i don't think sony has done worse?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Do it, they aren't going to move because people are moaning about it if they still buy the console. I don't really care about it as there's only a few games i would touch again pre-PS4. But if you're getting annoyed about a plastic box then you should do something about it and move on to another console.

Unfortunately, me cancelling/posting on here/twitter does literally nothing. But that's not the point of posting on a forum, really, is it?
If industry people, such as Vice, actually bothered to highlight what is consistently an issue on places like this, Sony might actually figure it'd be worth taking a look at, but ehh, they're probably right that no one cares about old games any more.

Sony already have the majority of people ordering in a good place, as most won't cancel unless they do something really egregious, and I don't think there's any problem with expressing disappointment/annoyance with their stance on certain things

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
I can do better—a game from 2014: Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
That's cool that they added splitscreen and removed the frame and resolution cap for free, but that means Smart delivery is a lot less robust than I thought, I thought it was only a moniker for fully fully optimized games. I would expect a graphical upgrade too, like the big changes being made in SM:R

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
People are actually saying Nintendo is worse or just as bad as Sony with regards to backwards compatibility and its strange to read. Nintendo basically always has at least bc of the most recent hardware, whether Ds-3DS or WiiU-Wii-Gamecube, and Switch is basically a fresh start. Sony only seems to have cared when it was "easy" to just throw the PSOne in the PS2 or the 2 into the 3. Microsoft on the other hand is basically as close to the ideal place as possible in reality.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Really?

You're equating people wanting to play their old games with people wanting to preserve monuments exalting slavers.
No, I didn't. Please explain how I'm comparing them and not the argument that a very specific thing is needed to preserve history when other things represent that history?

I very clearly said I wasn't equivocating the two but the underlying logic, did you read that far?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am all for backwards compatibility but it might not be worth it on Sony's end.

Microsoft have an army of engineers to do the work Sony may not have those resources.

Microsoft games are basically made using the same architecture so it's easier to work with. The PS1 architecture is different to the PS2 and the PS3 is unique again.

I have a feeling it will be slowly introduced this coming generation. It going to take time to put something together.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure I would call 4000+ BC games dismal but w/e. Been playing Infamous 1 recently on PS3 and I wish I could have just paid 40$ for an Infamous 1/2 remaster on my PS4 Pro. I'm sure this is very concerning to some.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Game preservation is a serious subject and an old one (way before Sony made games).
But this article is just a Vita player being pissed, so he rented about Sony.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
if Sony is half-assing this legacy stuff why the fuck would I continue to use PlayStation as my main console? It seems so short sighted. I, among many others, will be moving to a platform that understands this.

for me, the PS5 will be a first party box with 10-20 games total. a sharp contrast to this gen where I own 100+ games on PS4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Embarrassing take Smasher.

On topic, its always such a struggle for me when it comes to BC. I have so many current gen games to play I just cannot fathom having the time and energy to finish my current catalog, let alone play through the oldies!

I have absolutely zero games to play or look forward to, and being able to revisit old classics like Wild ARMs, Suikoden II, Folklore or inFamous 2 would be a nice way to actually not die of boredom.