• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm upset that people thought it was more important to make sure the focus was on Kobe being a rapist in the fresh hours of victims being confirmed rather than mourning the innocents lost especially when children are involved and an entire family basically perished in that crash.

I saw multiple people only writing about him being a rapist and not giving any attention to the innocents in the crash. The gleeful shit being the worst because people were using this situation to celebrate as though innocents perishing is totes okay because they a rapist is dead!

Sure. That's not what posters were doing. They were specifically focusing on the rape case without any mention of the innocents that died. Same with many others on twitter. If you think that's more important than showing support for the innocents than that is disgusting.

While I'm not here to defend every particularly morbid post, I think it would be disingenuous to say this discussion is solely about people who said "glad he's dead and fuck them kids too". A lot of people's issue come from the fact that people brought up at all.

The problem is that you can't paint yourself as a progressive person and forum and have your first response to a tragic accident in which innocent kids smashed in to the side of a mountain be ''yeah but he's a rapist''. Like these are sensitive subjects, Kobe has left behind a victim who other than financial gain has had no justice in her favour but on the other hand multiple families have been devastated by a tragic accident.

The response to anybody trying to brush the rape under the carpet should absolutely be to remind them of it because it's part of his legacy. On the other hand eight other people died in that accident yesterday. This is why for me you aren't as progressive as you may think if you operate and two different ends of an extreme scale. We can show empathy for the woman Kobe raped but we can also show empathy for his family, the other families and the people he inspired.

We have the emotional capacity to do both and subjects like these and especially on this forum should be discussed maturely. Jumping in with ''He's a rapist'' and also responding to people with ''fuck off'' is neither.

People can change, they can be rehabilitated, they can improve their lives and the lives of others. They can be looked up to, placed on a pedestal and do right in their community but they can also commit terrible acts with little to no justice. These things absolutely go together but emotions are raw and complicated.

I don't particularly care for this line of rhetoric because it projects a label onto people to create a strawman.

The crux of topic in general IMO is not a rejection of purported binary thinking. It's about who's feelings matters and when. For one, feelings about sexual assault don't come out of no where, and I find it troubling that people are sort of adopting this counter-internet culture thinking by dunking on people they've identified as "progressive".

I don't know what it says about us when we presume that people have strong feelings about rape because we think they are trying to virtue signal that they are the most "progressive" of them all. I think a lot of people have strong feelings about rape because either they themselves have been victims of the act, or know somebody who has. To me that is the good faith approach when responding to people who are effectively saying "fuck kobe". Presuming them to be disingenuous internet strangers trying to get upvotes and internet clout for having a visceral reaction to people who commit sexual assault...I just can't get down with that.

I think we should have visceral reactions to sexual assault. What's troubling here is that we are downplaying the feelings of those who do in the name of "nuance".

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Jury's out on Turner. If he spends the next 17 years of his life out of trouble and in general working towards positive causes, then the comparison would apply. So far, he's only tried to fight his conviction and has never put out any sort of statement or acknowledgement that what he did was rape. So he's not really off to a good start.

Kobe never did any work in areas of rape culture tho...Like it's great he did so many other great things, but no one has showed me that he put the work in in the area he should have most

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The overwhelming response on this forum yesterday putting Bryant on a pedestal and getting angry with people who brought up the fact that he was a rapist, to the extent of wishing death on other posters, is absolutely despicable. This forum disgusted me yesterday, and I don't think the mods did enough, quite frankly.

This is Michael Jackson all over again. If Bryant supporters wish to lumped in with his supporters, then they should keep it up. I can't help but wonder how much overlap there is with R. Kelly fans, as well. So many people in the mourning thread need to take a good, hard, long look at themselves in the mirror and realize that they need to open their minds from supporting disgusting people just because they "put the ball in the hole real good" or whatever stupid bullshit. If not, they are just as disgusting as the rapists they support.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If your initial reaction to "five people died in a helicopter crash" (It eventually became 9, but I'm basing this on early reports) is "one of them was accused of rape!" - You are a piece of garbage.
You don't know what someone's initial reaction was though, you only know what someone chose to post, and what they choose to post does not necessarily represent the totality of their opinion.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see what she's saying. Let's say in 20 years people forget about the things Spacey did and he dies, people bring it up, you'd have people outraged that it's either mentioned or ignored.

I'd personally say that if they have paid their crime to society/justice, people should forgive, I know they'll never forget.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
These reporters have every right to say remind us of his rape. I hope the woman he raped and the family he hurt are still doing okay.

Condolences to everyone affected by the news yesterday.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If your initial reaction to "five people died in a helicopter crash" (It eventually became 9, but I'm basing this on early reports) is "one of them was accused of rape!" - You are a piece of garbage.
The reactions are to the sterilized commentary about Bryant. No need to shield his biography. The event itself is tragic and plenty of people acknowledge that. But that's not where the posts ended. If people can bring up video games he was in or games he won in sports and say he was incredible, they're not talking about the crash and are talking legacy and history. It's perfectly ok for people have a different view of his history than the pretty version mandated in the other thread. This thread is absolutely fair to bring it up.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
My post is response to the OP, and the nonsense from the thread from yesterday. But go head child, make that point.

My point's been made, it's sad that you'd engage in insincerity when talking about something serious like this, but there's not much I can do about it.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I found it weird that knowing when people like Woody Allen or Trump or Cosby or Weinstein die, they'll have their history brought up almost certainly - yet this situation led to censorship of anything by those willing to address his rape allegations. There's hundreds of posts about his random trophies or rapping that are no more on topic with the families dying than talking about his complicated history would be. But for some reason, those who care about the rape need to be quiet and let the clean and pure legacy rule the thread.

The message seems to be that if you want to boost his image or damage control, you're fine. If you have something to say about what you find complicated and disappointing about him, you are derailing. I can't imagine these rules in a thread for the men I listed above. I don't get why a popular athlete is an exception.
Excellent points. I was just looking at the Kobe thread seeing not just bans but outright censorship of comments. It got me thinking thoughts similar to yours.

It feels like the moderation in the Kobe thread goes against the typical ResetEra of allowing posters to constantly remind everyone of the bad things a person or company has done when there is a thread about them. Those threads aren't normally about someone dying though so I get that the Kobe situation is different.

The Kobe thread has certainly set an interesting precedent for when Bill Cosby passes and I'm curious if the mod team will be hypocrites or not when that happens.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I am uncomfortable by the number of people going "let's wait and let people mourn" in a thread specifically about the harassment the victim's supporters received.

There's a larger conversation to be had about good acts making amends (or not) for bad ones and a mixed legacy and all that, but this part is specifically irksome. Feels pretty insulting to the victim and related harassment is brushed away with "let people mourn, don't talk about this".

The OP framed it that way themself, and made it basically a response thread to the main thread, rather than centering harassment of journalists on Twitter in the discussion.

I noticed how the reported backlash journos faced from Kobe fans felt more like a vehicle to have a discussion about the meta surrounding Kobe death on this site, rather than what the Vice article was about.

Either way, it was bound to go this direction within a page or two. Nothing much to add to a discussion of harassment other than "that's fucked up, people are assholes, hero worship is bad." The third leg of that dovetails quite nicely into the current discussion going on right now.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Kobe never did any work in areas of rape culture tho...Like it's great he did so many other great things, but no one has showed me that he put the work in in the area he should have most
Fair. The only thing I think is his work in the WNBA and trying to elevate that - which isn't sexual assault. But it is giving more women a platform and more power/fame.

But you're right, that alone isn't enough.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Jury's out on Turner. If he spends the next 17 years of his life out of trouble and in general working towards positive causes, then the comparison would apply. So far, he's only tried to fight his conviction and has never put out any sort of statement or acknowledgement that what he did was rape. So he's not really off to a good start.
Kobe, in his criminal trial, permitted his lawyers to defend him in such a profoundly unethical way that it provoked a legislative reaction in an area of the law that is particularly resistant to change (rape shield laws). He then went on to settle the civil suit against him in a way that conveniently involved him not calling what he did rape and thereby set the stage for people to continue to drag the victim through the mud by asserting that Kobe didn't rape her.

I actually think Brock Turner comes out looking about the same here but I'm not the type to weigh one's bad deeds against their good deeds in some sort of St. Peter-esque balancing act. Indeed, it's hard for me to imagine anything worse to be than a rapist who denies responsibility for their actions then goes on to play a pivotal role in the gaslighting and double victimization of the victim by the courts and press.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people bringing up his past aren't exactly celebrating that he's dead, they are just trying to stop the idolization of the man. Even the people that are glad he's dead, be it because they are a victim as well or something else, are almost definitely not happy that other people died in the crash as well.

John Dope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Ignoring staff post, thread whining, hostility regarding concerns of sexual assault, account in junior phase
Some of you people are disgusting and pathetic. Every time I decide to browse this forum I remember why I mostly stay away these days. All of you that act like you're holier than thou and are always looking for the next person to attack no matter how they turn their life around . Get a grip. The man literally just died and 8 others just died along with him and ya'll acting all high and mighty like if you have no skeletons in your closet and you're these perfects beings.

They settled the freaking case, he turned his life around and the woman involved never complained again. Why the hell do you care so much? Clearly he had to go through a process with the legal system, his wife/family and everyone was able to move on. Why do we always need to feel like it's ok to pass judgement on everyone as if all of us are these perfect beings?

No one will probably ever know what really happened in that room and it doesn't fucking matter anymore. Not saying I don't feel sorry for that woman but she had options and decided to settle and stay quiet the rest of the way so we all moved on. It's been long over a decade since that happened and all of these attention seeking people suddenly care so much. Please get out of here with the bullshit. Some of you are the definition of hypocrites only caring when it fits your narrative or benefits you in whatever way. The man had an extraordinary impact on this planet whether you like it or not so please stop being disrespectful to someone who can't even defend themselves against you anymore.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There's some gross accusations towards other users from both sides happening in this thread. People being accused of not caring about the other victims.

it kind of bothers me when I see some of these tributes describe as having been a great family man.

Maybe he became one, but how you can praise him as a family man when he was credibly accused of sexual assault and admitted that the woman felt the sex was not consensual in the civil settlement?

At best he cheated on his wife and at worst he raped a woman.
The family man aspect is hard because Colorado was 17 years ago with his oldest daughter being 17, so he very well could've become a "great family man" since.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Excellent points. I was just looking at the Kobe thread seeing not just bans but outright censorship of comments. It got me thinking thoughts similar to yours.

It feels like the moderation in the Kobe thread goes against the typical ResetEra of allowing posters to constantly remind everyone of the bad things a person or company has done when there is a thread about them. Those threads aren't normally about someone dying though so I get that the Kobe situation is different.

The Kobe thread has certainly set an interesting precedent for when Bill Cosby passes and I'm curious if the mod team will be hypocrites or not when that happens.
People said the McCain thread was moderated the same, but it's revisionist history. Check the thread. They said don't sound celebratory, but let people easily discuss his record and wrongdoings. That was classified as 'going off-topic' if you discussed Kobe's wrongdoings, despite many being allowed to happily bring up positive points about his history and athleticism that were equally unrelated to the crash and other victims.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 months): Ignoring the staff post, trolling about rape over multiple posts
First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo
. I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Yeah. Totally seems like the unapologetic rapist we should be admonishing within hours of his violent death. I can rest easy now knowing you guys held him super accountable while others championed his achievements and friendships. Perhaps one day we can remind his daughters of it should they decide to speak favorably about their father.

lol smh

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Yeah. Totally seems like the unapologetic rapist we should be admonishing within hours of his violent death. I can rest easy now knowing you guys held him super accountable while others championed his achievements and friendships. Perhaps one day we can remind his daughters of it should they decide to speak favorably about their father.

lol smh
his daughters can feel or talk about him however they want, nobody in this thread has suggested his family has to consider him a shithead

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

lol smh

Why didn't he turn himself into the police and confess?

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

lol smh
If you want to invoke his daughters, I'd ask that you consider the effect your whitewashing of rape has on the sexual assault and rape victims in this thread. I think you know that it's not a good one.

Volimar, you were right.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Death doesn't automagically qualify you to receive unending respect and canonization. It's absolutely vital that we don't forget what someone's done--and don't silence people who want to discuss it--simply because people want you to "respect the dead".

The overwhelming response on this forum yesterday putting Bryant on a pedestal and getting angry with people who brought up the fact that he was a rapist, to the extent of wishing death on other posters, is absolutely despicable. This forum disgusted me yesterday, and I don't think the mods did enough, quite frankly.

Completely agree.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

lol smh
Nobody here knows him or his daughters. Nobody is talking to them. The theatrics to censor people who care about sexual assault and don't agree with purifying his biography are not wrong to speak while everyone else is getting to bring up every little trophy and video game he ever touched to make him look like a fun time.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I see what she's saying. Let's say in 20 years people forget about the things Spacey did and he dies, people bring it up, you'd have people outraged that it's either mentioned or ignored.

I'd personally say that if they have paid their crime to society/justice, people should forgive, I know they'll never forget.
Spacey has lost most of his cultural inertia and likely will not act in anything notable again for the rest of his life. Nor has he made any indication of wanting to become a better person and help people like those that he hurt. If he's remembered fondly in passing, it will have been because of something he did between now and then to make up for it, and that seems unlikely.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Some of you people are disgusting and pathetic. Every time I decide to browse this forum I remember why I mostly stay away these days. All of you that act like you're holier than thou and are always looking for the next person to attack no matter how they turn their life around . Get a grip. The man literally just died and 8 others just died along with him and ya'll acting all high and mighty like if you have no skeletons in your closet and you're these perfects beings.

They settled the freaking case, he turned his life around and the woman involved never complained again. Why the hell do you care so much? Clearly he had to go through a process with the legal system, his wife/family and everyone was able to move on. Why do we always need to feel like it's ok to pass judgement on everyone as if all of us are these perfect beings?

No one will probably ever know what really happened in that room and it doesn't fucking matter anymore. Not saying I don't feel sorry for that woman but she had options and decided to settle and stay quiet the rest of the way so we all moved on. It's been long over a decade since that happened and all of these attention seeking people suddenly care so much. Please get out of here with the bullshit. Some of you are the definition of hypocrites only caring when it fits your narrative or benefits you in whatever way. The man had an extraordinary impact on this planet whether you like it or not so please stop being disrespectful to someone who can't even defend themselves against you anymore.

I am fairly confident that by some severe distance, I am a better human being than Kobe was given what he did to that girl.

Yeah. Totally seems like the unapologetic rapist we should be admonishing within hours of his violent death.

lol smh

So apologetic he denied any sexual contact even happened until police revealed they had taken a semen sample.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
It probably isnt okay participate to mourn for a rapist even though they are larger than life. My entire childhood was watching him play with my brother on our tv and playing basketball during halftime.

He's still a rapist and I deserved to be criticized for wearing his jersey to work. But I can't deny he means a lot to me either.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

This paragraph is especially interesting in light of the other thread, where the majority of people felt the way you did. Perhaps you're selectively reading certain things?

Assault victims don't just "move on" after settling a case, civil or criminal. I'm not sure you exactly know what transpired here. Saying the woman never complained again is actually an astonishing level of apathy towards someone who suffered a horrible experience and most likely will never have a day in their life where they don't think about it.

Why are you including yourself in this situation? Using words like 'we all moved on', you aren't involved. It's pretty damn weird. When a public figure passes away, it is allowed to talk about all aspects of their lives. The good parts and the bad ones. And it's not up to you to gatekeep it because you don't happen to agree or even like it.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017

lol smh
Again, by not acknowledging that what he did was rape and that his defence in the criminal trial that arose from said rape was wrong he was both complicit in her victimization by the press and an active participant in her victimization at the hands of the court.

Actions speak louder than words, particularly when those words in all likelihood originated from one of his lawyers.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone please tell me where Mike Tyson fits into all of this.

As far as I can tell Mike Tyson does just fine and ain't nobody calling for his head.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Hello I don't follow basket much so, to be honest, I didn't know who Kobe was nor that he had been a rapist. But in such cases don't sport organizations ban people from sport?I remember the story of a swimming pool student that was banned from this sport. According to wikipedia there was indeed a case that was settled out of court.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Kobe, in his criminal trial, permitted his lawyers to defend him in such a profoundly unethical way that it provoked a legislative reaction in an area of the law that is particularly resistant to change (rape shield laws). He then went on to settle the civil suit against him in a way that conveniently involved him not calling what he did rape and thereby set the stage for people to continue to drag the victim through the mud by asserting that Kobe didn't rape her.

I actually think Brock Turner comes out looking about the same here but I'm not the type to weigh one's bad deeds against their good deeds in some sort of St. Peter-esque balancing act. Indeed, it's hard for me to imagine anything worse to be than a rapist who denies responsibility for their actions then goes on to play a pivotal role in the gaslighting and double victimization of the victim by the courts and press.
That's a whole other discussion on defense attorneys. Their job is to vehemently defend their client within the bounds of the law. Were they disbarred or reprimanded in anyway? As for his civil settlement statement, him saying that he continued to act when the victim felt consent didn't exist is him copping to rape. That's the definition of it and that's what he said.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Can someone please tell me where Mike Tyson fits into all of this.

As far as I can tell Mike Tyson does just fine and ain't nobody calling for his head.

His net worth is around three million dollars today. He isn't struggling that's for sure.

Hello I don't follow basket much so, to be honest, I didn't know who Kobe was nor that he had been a rapist. But in such cases don't sport organizations ban people from sport?I remember the story of a swimming pool student that was banned from this sport. According to wikipedia there was indeed a case that was settled out of court.

Well this happened almost two decades ago, so it's a bit different. Also, it should be mentioned, many players that do horrible things end up back in leagues because they're good enough. Kobe's a first ballot HOFer, even if he got jail time, I don't think he would struggle to find a team to play on when he would have come back.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The reactions are to the sterilized commentary about Bryant. No need to shield his biography. The event itself is tragic and plenty of people acknowledge that. But that's not where the posts ended. If people can bring up video games he was in or games he won in sports and say he was incredible, they're not talking about the crash and are talking legacy and history. It's perfectly ok for people have a different view of his history than the pretty version mandated in the other thread. This thread is absolutely fair to bring it up.

Absolutely.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine dismissing a woman being raped because "she had options"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

The swimming pool student didn't settle it out of court.

Actually just ignore anything to do with Kobe for a second. The above post is just straight up downplaying rape as a thing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That's a whole other discussion on defense attorneys. Their job is to vehemently defend their client within the bounds of the law. Were they disbarred or reprimanded in anyway? As for his civil settlement statement, him saying that he continued to act when the victim felt consent didn't exist is him copping to rape. That's the definition of it and that's what he said.

No because their behavior pushed the boundaries of courtroom decorum without overstepping them. That is what a good defense attorney is supposed to do. The CO legislature also took the necessary steps to update their outdated privacy laws.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His net worth is around three million dollars today. He isn't struggling that's for sure.

Yep and his not banned from TV. Dude had a Broadway tour. He doesn't get called out for being a convicted rapist.

That's not me shitting on Tyson as whether he did it or not I don't really know but I just find it strange that no doubt many of the people wailing on Kobe love Mike Tyson.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No because their behavior pushed the boundaries of courtroom decorum without overstepping them. That is what a good defense attorney is supposed to do. The CO legislature also took the necessary steps to update their outdated privacy laws.

The fact that Colorado had to CHANGE THEIR LAWS after what those assholes did to that woman is all I need to know.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
They shouldn't be harassed over what they said and I'm not shocked that they were.

What he did to his victim was horrible. That's it. I, personally, cannot wash this fact away even with a lifetime of work after the act. Because the victim will live with it forever while he is allowed to move on with a payout and good behavior. She won't ever get that option.

The crash was a horrible thing that happened. Several of the victims lives ended before they could even begin. This horrible event doesn't give a free pass to forget the victim. There is an argument for time and place. But as others mentioned prior, this always ends up being a can that is endlessly kicked down the road, so I can understand their side easily.

Hopefully more people can understand this.