• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I snapped at a FB friend over this because she posted a comment over "Not worth mourning a rapist."

There's a conversation to be had about this, but not the day the guy dies. Especially in the presence of his daughter. It just comes off classless and tactless to me.

Sure, let's have the conversation with a calm decorum. But also the proximity to the event is just too much for me.
Have you considered that maybe your friend or someone she knows have been the victim of rape or sexual assault and seeing him being lionised was too much for her?

Nov 2, 2017
No I can't say, of course. But If a settlement was reached, the victim has somewhat indicated that they intend to heal from thier suffering. It's horrible for her, and Kobe was a piece of shit for what he did, but having daughters of his own, I'm absolutely certain it haunts him everyday, and as long as that is felt, he's shown sincere remorse.

Come off the bullshit. The victim would love to heal from their suffering, but the settlement isn't an indicator in that regard, particularly when you look at the fucking vile behavior of Bryant's legal team in actively smearing her reputation as Kobe's defense against criminal activity that he eventually admitted to committing.

It's not like things were calm and proceeding smoothly and she just decided "you know what, I'm ready to move on, let's just be done with this whole thing", which is how you're trying to inaccurately frame the scenario with this.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What Kobe did was bad and he should have received more punishment for it. That doesn't negate the mountain of good he did, nor the loss of all the good he could have continued to do going forward. People mourning his loss are not trying to celebrate someone who did something wrong. They're mourning the pattern of good and inspiration that he became afterwards.

There may be a lot of things a rapist deserves. Dying in a burning helicopter with your daughter in your arms is not one of them.
Yeah the good we are gonna miss out on now is something I havent seen mentioned very much, but is certainly something that should be talked about. Kobe was one of the most prominent supporters of womens basketball. He was literally on his way to his daughters basketball game. And his daughter was well on her way to becoming a formidable player in her own right and wanted to play in the WNBA. That obviously would have been a huge story which would have brought alot of much needed attention to the WNBA.

And all of it taken away just like that. Its not fair.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that you can't paint yourself as a progressive person and forum and have your first response to a tragic accident in which innocent kids smashed in to the side of a mountain be ''yeah but he's a rapist''. Like these are sensitive subjects, Kobe has left behind a victim who other than financial gain has had no justice in her favour but on the other hand multiple families have been devastated by a tragic accident.

The response to anybody trying to brush the rape under the carpet should absolutely be to remind them of it because it's part of his legacy. On the other hand eight other people died in that accident yesterday. This is why for me you aren't as progressive as you may think if you operate and two different ends of an extreme scale. We can show empathy for the woman Kobe raped but we can also show empathy for his family, the other families and the people he inspired.

We have the emotional capacity to do both and subjects like these and especially on this forum should be discussed maturely. Jumping in with ''He's a rapist'' and also responding to people with ''fuck off'' is neither.

People can change, they can be rehabilitated, they can improve their lives and the lives of others. They can be looked up to, placed on a pedestal and do right in their community but they can also commit terrible acts with little to no justice. These things absolutely go together but emotions are raw and complicated.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't know well the Kobe case but there are ppl that still defend Michael Jackson so things like this doesn't surprise me anymore...

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The problem is that you can't paint yourself as a progressive person and forum and have your first response to a tragic accident in which innocent kids smashed in to the side of a mountain be ''yeah but he's a rapist''. Like these are sensitive subjects, Kobe has left behind a victim who other than financial gain has had no justice in her favour but on the other hand multiple families have been devastated by a tragic accident.
while true, that would be terrible for someone's first thoughts to be, that hasn't really been whats going on in this thread

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble seeing the problem with this thread. If you don't want to remember or talk about his past misdeeds, ignore this thread, and continue on in the other one. I say this as a fan of Kobe's talent on the court and the good things he has done off the court. He also made a very poor choice here and it's ok to remember that.

The people bringing it up as an almost justification for this tragedy are jerks though. Full stop.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Have you considered that maybe your friend or someone she knows have been the victim of rape or sexual assault and seeing him being lionised was too much for her?
She has a history of "woke hot takes," not implying that she couldn't have been traumatized or known someone, but this particular situation mirrored others that were meant to elicit something reactionary.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
So you subscribe to the Republican talking point of "we can never talk about gun crime because there's these grieving families of gun crime"?

Is this really the way you argue with people?

Yes, clearly talking about gun crime after a gun massacre is the same as talking about a previous criminal offence after an accidental tragedy.

better try and paint him as a republican!

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The deification of celebrities in pop culture is abhorrent and part of the reason we are in this current political environment. Nice to know that you will excuse anyone as long as they know how to play ball good.

Nobody said that.
You and others directly compared Kobe dying to people like Bush or McCain. The only reason to bring them up is if you're comparing them and what they did.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to bed soon so I'm going ask this one more time and hopefully I get an answer this time, what specifically did Kobe do besides basketball and being a family man that count as doing good? Like I saw stuff about charity work but what was it? And did he actually give a significant amount of his money/put in a significant amount of genuine effor or was it like what Bill Gates does where the amount he donates is only a tiny fraction of his fortune?

Here is what CNN has listed as his charity work.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/honoor-kobe-bryant-charity-iyw-trnd/index.html

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to bed soon so I'm going ask this one more time and hopefully I get an answer this time, what specifically did Kobe do besides basketball and being a family man that count as doing good? Like I saw stuff about charity work but what was it? And did he actually give a significant amount of his money/put in a significant amount of genuine effor or was it like what Bill Gates does where the amount he donates is only a tiny fraction of his fortune?

It's mostly anecdotal stories of character, some donations, and coaching his daughter's basketball team and being a general proponent of women's basketball.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The response to anybody trying to brush the rape under the carpet should absolutely be to remind them of it because it's part of his legacy. On the other hand eight other people died in that accident yesterday. This is why for me you aren't as progressive as you may think if you operate and two different ends of an extreme scale. We can show empathy for the woman Kobe raped but we can also show empathy for his family, the other families and the people he inspired.
This may be true, but that also assumes that someone bringing it up is not remembering or having a degree of sympathy when you don't know that to be the case, it's kind of reading into their intent, without being in their head you don't know exactly how they feel. I think we need to be careful to make sure we aren't ascribing "you need to grieve in exactly this way or you aren't genuine/respectful (which is a very subjective thing)" or worse that people can only bring things up in one specific way for it to be valid.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This is what i thought as well, but in practice its a lot more complicated. someone brought up vick and hell even tyson and people will never forgive them,and or would celebrate their deaths probably as well. so i always wonder if people really dont believe in that ideal at all.

In Kobe's case he was never rehabilitated, he never served time for the crime. I wouldn't celebrate Vick's or Tyson's deaths because celebrating death is gross. But I think in the case of movies like The Hangover, people in large amounts, showed that they don't care. He's played for laughs. At least Tyson and Vick actually went to jail though so in that way I don't think the situations are the same.

People are more the sum of their best and worst moments, but it's not up to me, or really any of us to act like one act, or 17 years of acts can make up for the hurt and pain that he caused another person. She's had to deal with that every day, every moment since then. I think some empathy towards her is warranted and deserved.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So you subscribe to the Republican talking point of "we can never talk about gun crime because there's these grieving families of gun crime"?
Guns are a political problem that can be solved via legislation, needing active participation and activism to help get it done. Yelling Kobe is a rapist in the the thread announcing his death doesn't really do much and changes nothing.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of sexual assault, ignoring staff post
Here are my 2 cents.

9 people ( many young children) dying in a tragic helicopter crash is not the same as a mass shooting. Meaning moments after it happens you tweeting about gun control isn't going to help because Kobe Bryant being accused of rape wasn't the cause of the crash. Like seriously no one has forgotten the case but have some decency.

Feel for the people subject to the abuse and that's never ok.

Regarding Kobe and his assault. I just don't think it's the right time to bring up his past crime considering his 14 Y/old daughter had also just died with him.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This thread stands as an excellent example of why people don't come forward or follow through with the legal process.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

Regarding Kobe and his assault. I just don't think it's the right time to bring up his past crime considering his 14 Y/old daughter had also just died with him.
This is the right thread for it and it's OK to not want to participate.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You and others directly compared Kobe dying to people like Bush or McCain. The only reason to bring them up is if you're comparing them and what they did.
The fact that you can't see that the comparison I'm making is between people's attitudes to their celebrities and not the celebrities themselves tells me you aren't engaging in this discussion in good faith and are just looking for any excuse to pin the dissenting party as a crazy extremist.

I'm done with this thread, since it's obvious you're not even willing to engage in actual discussion.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I look at this way. If Kobe truly repented to the Lord and the Lord will forgive him then who am I to judge? Only God knows Kobe heart

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): Ignoring staff post, trolling, thread whining in a sensitive thread
"I know we just got word about his death, and we still haven't identified all the dead bodies, but he raped someone 15 years ago! I know, no one actually forgot that. But I HAVE TO SAY THAT RIGHT NOW!"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
A poster did say it here actually.
There was a banned post yesterday that said something along the lines of "there must be a god" in response to finding out about it :(
Well, that's pretty shitty, there is a chance that person is a rape victim themselves and that is where that is coming from so I don't want to cast aspersions but even then other people were on that Helicopter who had nothing to do with it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The fact that you can't see that the comparison I'm making is between people's attitudes to their celebrities and not the celebrities themselves tells me you aren't engaging in this discussion in good faith and are just looking for any excuse to pin the dissenting party as a crazy extremist.

I'm done with this thread, since it's obvious you're not even willing to engage in actual discussion.
I've made plenty of discussion points here and nothing "in bad faith." You do you, though.

yerrr

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
What Kobe did was bad and he should have received more punishment for it. That doesn't negate the mountain of good he did, nor the loss of all the good he could have continued to do going forward. People mourning his loss are not trying to celebrate someone who did something wrong. They're mourning the pattern of good and inspiration that he became afterwards.

There may be a lot of things a rapist deserves. Dying in a burning helicopter with your daughter in your arms is not one of them.

One of the few sensible posts in this thread. Thank you.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

No one in this thread is messaging Kobe's family with this stuff. Discussing it on a message board is fine imo.

"I know we just got word about his death, and we still haven't identified all the dead bodies, but he raped someone 15 years ago! I know, no one actually forgot that. But I HAVE TO SAY THAT RIGHT NOW!"

Why do so many people feel the need to engage in strawman arguments? Seriously the quote function exists for a reason. If it a post irritates you, quote it and point out why. I really don't see the point otherwise.

Some people believe only God can judge other people. This sentiment gets blunted when there are many Christians who judge people who are different from them. And the fact that God, according to many Christian sects, does not allow non believers into heaven.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Inflammatory Accusation, Ignoring the Staff Post, and Threadwhining
If your initial reaction to "five people died in a helicopter crash" (It eventually became 9, but I'm basing this on early reports) is "one of them was accused of rape!" - You are a piece of garbage.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

This is so tiring so I'll just qoute this post.

Oct 30, 2017
What highlights the hipocrisy the most to me is how this same situation was handled when McCain and H.W. Bush died. Callouts of dead people are fine when it's not someone from your own team.

Kobe AND his 14 Year/Old daughter died. I fell for that family, especially losing a child in a horrific accident where they most likely burned to death.

Also Bush was responsible for 100s of thousands of death. Not the same scale of crime either.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If your initial reaction to "five people died in a helicopter crash" (It eventually became 9, but I'm basing this on early reports) is "one of them was accused of rape!" - You are a piece of garbage.
Counter point, if you are using the other people who died as a shield to deflect the actual rape he committed then you are also not exactly a great person.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Some people believe only God can judge other people. This sentiment gets blunted when there are many Christians who judge people who are different from them. And the fact that God, according to many Christian sects, does not allow non believers into heaven.

Seems a little messed up to talk about whether or not God forgave him and not his victim.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No he's Brock Turner
Jury's out on Turner. If he spends the next 17 years of his life out of trouble and in general working towards positive causes, then the comparison would apply. So far, he's only tried to fight his conviction and has never put out any sort of statement or acknowledgement that what he did was rape. So he's not really off to a good start.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
it kind of bothers me when I see some of these tributes describe as having been a great family man.

Maybe he became one, but how you can praise him as a family man when he was credibly accused of sexual assault and admitted that the woman felt the sex was not consensual in the civil settlement?

At best he cheated on his wife and at worst he raped a woman.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
King David killed the husband of Bethsheba in the Bible. He repented and while the Lord forgave him of his sin he was still punished when his newborn baby died because of what he did. Read the Old Testament. God is always willingly to forgive us if we truly are repented of the sin we commit.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
You know its almost as if theres more to this and people's reasoning than what you're implying
King David killed the husband of Bethsheba in the Bible. He repented and while the Lord forgave him of his sin he was still punished when his newborn baby died because of what he did. Read the Old Testament. God is always willingly to forgive us if we truly are repented of the sin we commit.
lol

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Why do so many people feel the need to engage in strawman arguments? Seriously the quote function exists for a reason. If it a post irritates you, quote it and point out why. I really don't see the point otherwise.

My post is response to the OP, and the nonsense from the thread from yesterday. But go head child, make that point.