• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

One and done.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That Song of the South shit isn't in a vault. It's buried under the vault, and sealed with a series of magic runes.
Am I aging myself when i say I saw that movie with Bambi as a double feature on a school filed trip? It was a rerelease

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
A surge of sales and then cutoff the legs of a potential evergreen? Sure Sherlock, makes sense.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Personal opinion: they will start selling the three games separately this year.

But, keep in mind that I just bought All-Stars entirely because of FOMO.
Yeah I don't think it's about FOMO per se, though it of course helps. It's more that Nintendo has a long history of selling old games on new systems (or sometimes giving them away for free), and the limited availability in Mario 3D Allstars means people are still excited for Galaxy Remaster to arrive on Switch 2 a couple of years from now, instead of thinking didn't we just have this game.

(See also OoT 64 -> OoT+MQ limited free -> OoT 3D)

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Bros. 35 wasn't about sales, unless they just threw it in with the timed releases in order to get me to say that.

That game is different, though. You can still play 3D All Stars tomorrow but SMB35 is being put to sleep.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
They're losing money on this, so I remain convinced that this is a matter of principles for them, that anniversary releases designed around an anniversary (as opposed to a title that just happened to line up with an anniversary ala 3D World remaster) should only be sold during that anniversary. A very stupid principle that only gets them a short term financial gain while hurting them more in the long run, but that's never stopped Nintendo.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm still thinking they do limited edition collections for older games that aren't on NES or SNES where they think they can get away with bringing them to retail and getting $60 per owner, then offer them as digital only goods later (either for sale individually without the collection perks or as a subscription benefit).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Which Disney has given up on and are just putting everything on Disney +.

Maybe Nintendo should consider Nintendo + ?

Isn't that what NSO is? It's just not as up to date as D+ is.

A surge of sales and then cutoff the legs of a potential evergreen? Sure Sherlock, makes sense.

Presumably they have data from Mario 64 and Galaxy's previous VC releases that tells them there's a steep drop off anyways?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was known that nintendo knows that people put things on their wishlist and never buy them and this tactic is to get people to buy it instead of waitlisting forever

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Question for people here – If Nintendo announces tomorrow that each game is available separately for $20-$25, would you be OK with the decision or would you still be upset they're not selling the full package?

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I don't get it, it would for sure sell a LOT more with time.

I think, based on the small quote, that they mean how it pushed sales this FY. By making is scarce people bought it in this time period rather than using it as an evergreen title. They probably wanted to show more in their FY report than just Animal Crossing? (Assumption as well btw :p)

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm still thinking they do limited edition collections for older games that aren't on NES or SNES where they think they can get away with bringing them to retail and getting $60 per owner, then offer them as digital only goods later (either for sale individually without the collection perks or as a subscription benefit).

They did the same thing with a Fire Emblem NES title through lol

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
lol it's not
3D All Stars would have easily been an evergreen, selling way more copies in the long term.
It sounds dumb but Nintendo unironically believes anniversary products should only be available during that year. Read any japanese comment under their Mario tweets, users are happy about this anniversary and didn't complain about the collection at all. I think it's a Japanese cultural thing.
The OP FOMO explanation doesn't work for Mario 35 after all.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not even remotely close to comparable. They're doing this only for anniversary titles and not regular releases. They did the same for the Four Swords anniversary edition several years ago.

It's still nonsensical to limit digital releases especially since purchasers are able to redownload them, but there's no need to make false comparisons.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
but animal crossing didn't need artificial scarcity to sell, nor do most Nintendo games

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that much was obvious... But Super Mario Bro. 35 though... Why?!

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Question for people here – If Nintendo announces tomorrow that each game is available separately for $20-$25, would you be OK with the decision or would you still be upset they're not selling the full package?

I wouldn't be upset but I'd think less of them for waiting until tomorrow to announce that plan. That said, it's already tomorrow in Japan and it hasn't happened so at least they're not being that villainous.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Well yeah. I'd be shocked if it was for some OTHER reason.

I just wish Super Mario Bros. 35 would still be playable after today though. Pulling a game from sale after only a few months is one thing; turning off the servers after only a few months is a really dumb move.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
it was very effective in losing any potential sale from me

which is pretty funny because usually selling me mario 64 is easy money

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It will still sell more over time tho

I understand maybe a physical limited run, but digitally makes no sense

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I feel kinda bad for supporting this by buying the physical version when it launched. I was underwhelmed by it though since they pretty much did the bare minimum with the remasters... and no Galaxy 2. I've since sold it, even though it will probably go up in value over time. Don't care though... not owning it anymore means I don't have to see it and be reminded of this limited time garbage.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like our recent PS3/Vita threads prove this to be somewhat true of a trend (though obviously done for different reasons, fomo still applies).