• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get the impression that Pillock thinks there's a chance the EU becomes a formal nation with the UK being a state among federated states like NY is in the US.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because we did doesn't mean we always would. Anyway you asked that's why I voted.
ZT6VpEb.gif

And what is this mythical scenario where wouldn't be able to in the future ?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: inflammatory accusation
Not for race reasons though, I don't have a racist bone in my body.

I'm not sure if this is you or not (I certainly hope not, because fucking yikes at that tweet), but that is nonetheless the exact same sort of dangerous and terrible islamophobia that largely fueled the Leave vote. As was posted earlier in the thread, Leave was overwhelmingly about immigration fears, which is a smoothed over way of saying it was almost completely about racism and fear of Islam.

To me, hearing Leave be justified by a desire for general independence sounds an awful lot like moderate Confederate-sympathizers trying to argue that southern US state's seceded because of general States' Rights (it wasn't - it was slavery).

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Our sovereignty is important. Would you have adopted the euro in the UK? Would you give up the pound?
You are in the EU with the pound... What do you think the EU would do? EU can't force politicaly the UK due to the veto powers; the EU can't militarily force the UK because it doesn't have an army; it can't force the UK economically because EU countries are all under the same EU law.

What could the EU do against the UK?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
You are in the EU with the pound... What do you think the EU would do? EU can't force politicaly the UK due to the veto powers; the EU can't militarily force the UK because it doesn't have an army; it can't force the UK economically because EU countries are all under the same EU law.

What could the EU do against the UK?
Yup, they had a sweetheart deal and pissed it away just like that. It's kind of incredible.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why specifically did you vote to leave?
Pillock's answer in case you didn't read.

We get to vote for government. We get to make are own laws. We control our future. Our current government is a shower of cunts and we will vote then out in a few years.
Just because we did doesn't mean we always would. Anyway you asked that's why I voted.

IT should put his answers in perspective.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Exactly. This thread's OP is proof that a bunch of loud and proud racist idiot leavers made lots of other people reconsider jumping off a cliff.

I've read decently argued opinions about Euroscepticism, but none of them tend to support Brexit, since it's so obviously a reactionary brain fart centred on racism and xenophobia!

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the fault of the politicians. There should have been a plan in place to prepare the country over the last 3 years. We voted leave, were leaving.
Do you not know that changing one's mind is a thing, especially when presented with new information?

"I have a surgery tomorrow.
I learned recently that the doctor killed his last 3 patients.
Welp, I made my choice, nothing I can do about it now."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was disappointed when the UK voted for Leave, but in hindsight it stopped a lot of other countries from doing the same, so it was probably for the best in the end.

Unless you're from the UK.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
That's irrelevant now. We voted leave. Calling people idiots is not going to help.

Remember what that beacon of democracy Switzerland did when they had a (legally binding!) referendum on FoM which passed? They buried it, because it's fucking dumb.

Also while the far-right isn't pro-leave anymore the fuckers have wizened up and realised they can do far more harm on the inside.

I get the impression that Pillock thinks there's a chance the EU becomes a formal nation with the UK being a state among federated states like NY is in the US.

This will never happen, and it shouldn't, but we should all be responsible for our collective defense in the future under the EU banner.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People talk about the EU becoming more federalist. That's largely an argument from the 80's which has been put to bed. It won't become more federalist (it probably should in the Eurozone at least but that's a different story) simply because the structures of the EU still, despite what you hear, mean that almost all of the power is with the member states.

You'll get the commission president and maybe the parliament president wax lyrical about closer union and federalisation (because which parliament or civil service wouldn't like more power to carry out their mandate) but it goes nowhere. The biggest problem with the EU isn't the spectre of federalisation is that it's now sort of stuck with the structures it has, as another treaty seems next to impossible.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
We get to vote for government. We get to make are own laws. We control our future. Our current government is a shower of cunts and we will vote then out in a few years.
Which "future" laws of the UK would be against the European Union?
All you will get are extreme privacy, economical, law enforcement laws on top of the laws against refugees and immigrants.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Wanting independence from the EU is absolutely idiotic. EU is literally building my country up, an example here ; 3.2M€ for upgrading our hospital. Do you think any Portuguese politician would invest in an hospital in a small town? (52000 people live here)

Alongside the hospital the EU has funded:
  • Upgraded the tech in schools
  • New power substation
  • New water treatment facility
  • Rebuilt 2 city parks
And that is what i know because it affects me directly. Do you know what our politicians built:
  • Underground car park
  • Electricity spots for electric cars (just 10 for the whole city...)

If it wasn't the EU Portugal would be a disaster.

What the EU does really well, again despite the press reports, is allocate development funds, because it has a really detailed framework for that allocation (to stop member state squabbling) which makes allocation pretty apolitical.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wanting independence from the EU is not totally idiotic. No other countries have been given a chance for a referendum yet and the EU seems to be dam sure to make an example out of the UK for daring to want to be independent. If we had voted to remain it would have been for ever.

Wanting to make an exemple out of the U.K. by allowing them to sort themselves out multiple times because they couldn't even be arsed to follow through with their decision?

Dumbest shit I've seen today.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Grand.

When I'm wandering the wasteland of post-Brexit Britain I will be consoled that others won't be so silly.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well, that's not entirely true. Schengen is optional (and the UK opted out) but the free movement between member states is not.
What the UK could have done (and what other countries like Germany did) is limit migration of new member state citizens to the UK for a little while. But Tony Blair thought the cheap labour was neat so they didn't use the restrictions they could have used. So that's why so many Poles moved to the UK and what partially caused Brexit sympathies.
Another reason for Brexit was the hate towards muslims and people from India and Pakistan, which ofc had nothing to do with the EU but that didn't stop Farage & co.

There are other restrictions but the UK has

1) no real method of seperating EU visitors from EU immigrants (other EU countries require you to register as a 'permanent' citizen) so the UK cannot enforce the be able to support yourself after 3 months or return to country of origin rule
2) a residency based benefits system not a contributory one (this is for reasons of administrative simplicity). Had the UK had a system where benefits (which btw in the UK lag miles behind most of the EU avg) were based on contributions past say age 21 then a lot of the press around immigrants abusing 'our' benefits system disappear.

Plum

May 31, 2018

You realise that by voting Leave you've given the "shower of cunts," that is the current government complete free reign to do whatever the fuck they want with no consequence? Are you really that short-sighted to not see how taking the EU, which so far has been the only thing protecting millions of disadvantaged people throughout the OK, might allow the Tories to fuck us over? Do you really think that Britain can actually be independent" (whatever the fuck that means) in a globalised world, and that it won't just go suck up to Trump's America with trade deals that fuck us over?

But I hope that when Brexit happens you can at least own all of its consequences. Will you choose to be a spineless coward or will you be willing to explain to all the people who lose jobs, healthcare, benefits, and loved ones due to Brexit that their 'sacrifice' has been for something good? Will you even care about those people, or are you a sociopath who values some vague sense of 'freedom' over their very real suffering?

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pillock has the most apt username I've ever seen on this site. Hope they keep posting about how we need to take 'are' country back, I need the laugh.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
What the EU does really well, again despite the press reports, is allocate development funds, because it has a really detailed framework for that allocation (to stop member state squabbling) which makes allocation pretty apolitical.

I'm rather glad we might start linking them to democratic development though.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This will never happen, and it shouldn't, but we should all be responsible for our collective defense in the future under the EU banner.
It could happen but I'm one of those "anything can feasibly happen" types of people. It is just not a significant worry for anyone alive now. If Europe becomes a country, it will happen in 200 years, not within any of our lifetimes.

And I don't think Europe being a country is a bad thing. What even is a country anyway? Who knows if being a country will have the same connotations it does in 100 years than it does now.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh sweet summer child, you fucked up. Big.

Finding out that Leave-voters have no clue how the EU works, what it does and what not etc. unfortately has become all too common.

You've been lied to by Brexiteers and you still refuse to acknowledge that proven fact.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Username checks out...

Petulant child wants to leave club that helps its members out, then throws a massive tantrum when that club says they'll withdraw any help they give if they leave.

"Takin bak cuntrol of are country"... We always had control. I've challenged so many people who voted leave to name a single law that's been imposed upon us by the EU, and y'know what? Not one person has been able to. When pushed, the 'real' reason comes out that, oh yes, they just wanted rid of brown people.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanting independence from the EU is not totally idiotic. No other countries have been given a chance for a referendum yet and the EU seems to be dam sure to make an example out of the UK for daring to want to be independent. If we had voted to remain it would have been for ever.
Not giving in to completely delusional and absolutely unreasonable demands by a bad faith actor that thinks too highly of itself is apparently " making an example of". The EU has been more than fair and forthcoming in everything related to Brexit.

And yes, Brexiters are idiots and almost every single one is a massive racist.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The EU is simply sticking to its rules and principles - which it told the UK right from the beginning (before the Brexit vote) is precisely what is going to happen.

The UK was simply delusional with its demands and is now finding out that their supposed leverage over the EU was a pipe-dream.

Last edited:

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Jesus you guys are a savage lot. I not once insulted any of you yet I've been shat on.

Fuck you!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Listening to the radio in the car yesterday and there was a woman on who, as proof that leaving the EU will be good, said that the guy who owns Wetherspoons had found a way to import his booze that meant the savings could be passed to consumers, even though that deal was done whilst we're a member of the EU!

After that she came up with the fact that we'll be able to use newspapers to wrap fish 'n' chips!

It's funny as I often find myself stuck between anger and pity for these people. I'm annoyed that they've fallen for lie upon lie and are willing to see this country go down the toilet despite the evidence that shows that Brexit is the biggest disaster facing this country since probably WW2. Yet on the other side I feel sorry for them that they've been so completely brainwashed into thinking that being poorer and having less opportunities is a good thing.

Oct 28, 2017
Pillock's avatar makes them look exactly like your average Brexiteer. They dug a hole, climbed into it and it slowly filled up over time. All they can do is scream about how great it is, because in every other way, it has crippled their ability to live.

"I LOVE BEING IN MY HOLE! ITS SO GREAT! NO DOWNSIDES!!!"

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Jesus you guys are a savage lot. I not once insulted any of you yet I've been shat on.

Fuck you!

Come on mate you know that's not true. I've looked through the replies to you and people have carefully explained where your thinking isn't correct. You may not like the answers but that doesn't mean you've been 'shat on'.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Come on mate you know that's not true. I've looked through the replies to you and people have carefully explained where your thinking isn't correct. You may not like the answers but that doesn't mean you've been 'shat on'.
Woke up today to about 18 posts from people calling me all sorts. Fair enough though I guess.