• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg got some great news Friday. The Democratic National Committee announced it would drop its donor requirement for its February 19 debate, meaning Bloomberg, who is self-funding his 2020 presidential campaign, could qualify for the debate stage for the first time.

That change follows a spike in Bloomberg's national polling as he's blanketed the country in ads in an explicit strategy to focus on the post-February states. It also comes several months after Bloomberg gave $300,000 to the DNC in three donations on the same day in November.

Bloomberg's Democratic competitors, already criticizing him for buying his way into the election, blasted the DNC for changing the rules in a way that appears to favor one candidate: Bloomberg.

"To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong," Bernie Sanders senior advisor Jeff Weaver said in a statement released by the campaign. "That's the definition of a rigged system."

Bloomberg made three separate donations of $106,500 to the Democratic National Committee on Nov.19, 2019, according to Federal Election Commission records. Individuals are allowed to donate up to $106,500 to each national party account in the 2019-2020 election cycle, according to FEC contribution limit guidelines.

Both the DNC and the Republican National Committee have three "accounts": One for the presidential convention, another for election recounts and other legal proceedings, and another for the party headquarters building, meaning that individuals can contribute up to $319,500 to the national party committees per cycle. It appears this is what Bloomberg did.

In addition to the donations made directly to the DNC, Bloomberg also made an $800,000 donation that same day to the Democratic Grassroots Victory Fund, a joint fundraising PAC between the DNC and state Democratic parties around the country which was established in 2017. Bloomberg also donated hundreds of thousands to state parties around the country in November, according to FEC records.

The DNC said its qualification threshold for the February 19 debate in Las Vegas would be winning a single delegate in either Iowa or New Hampshire, or meet polling requirements of at least 10 percent in four qualifying national polls or two polls of Nevada and South Carolina. The January debate threshold, for example, was a polling requirement and at least 225,000 individual contributions.

www.vice.com

Mike Bloomberg Gave the DNC $300K Two Days Before He Entered the 2020 Race

And now the DNC is changing its rules in a way very favorable to ... Mike Bloomberg.

No issue with Bloomberg going onstage to get trashed. But this really spits in the face of the other candidates who had to actually try. And highlights one of the major issues of elites essentially forcing their way into the political process, and outs the DNC in particular for those who argue they are a fair and neutral organization. Money and influence speaks over all.

Ironically, even Steyer called Bloomberg out, another billionaire who openly bought his way onto the debate stage.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inappropriate joke, drive by
Someone should kill this dude (in a video game)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not only did they change the rules for just him, but he actually paid them to do it? that's so transparent.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if he were paying them to change the rules, you would think he could have gotten into an earlier debate.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I wish dorks stop pushing conspiracy theories. They just need to accept that if you have enough cash you can make the rules.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think Bloomberg should go with the GOP strategy and put out a statement saying "I paid the DNC $300k to be included in the debates. See you in Nevada!"

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb. He gave them money in November and might get into a debate on Feb 19? Miss me with these conspiracies.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we just get the story about Warren wanting these rules changed so that Bloomberg can get trashed on stage? If anything, his "donation" might've been to keep the rules the same. lol

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
bloomberg is hitting over 10% and third place in some polls and it's kind of crazy to insist the only proper way to handle a self-funding candidate with essentially unlimited resources is to continue to let him flood the airwaves advancing his own positive case for himself and prohibiting him from facing any questions or opposition at debates because the rules the DNC drafted at the start of the process didn't anticipate this scenario.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg would rather avoid getting trashed during the debates. Just like the time he got bood during the convention in 2016. This is just a dumb conspiracy all around. Try better Russia.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg would rather avoid getting trashed during the debates. Just like the time he got bood during the convention in 2016. This is just a dumb conspiracy all around. Try better Russia.
Russia isn't the one who posted this on Era. We should all try better than exhibiting the same bullshit divisive behavior that was rampant in 2016. Motherfucker is about to be acquitted and this is what we're supposed to expend energy on?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This is not Qunan. Our government is corrupt and to the highest bidder. Corporations are legally people, social programs that could easily be paid for are put to the aside for tax cuts for elites. DNC will be just as guilty if and when they come for social security.
I was being sarcastic, but it's hard to tell in these discussions, so I don't blame you.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peopel still wanna rationalize why billionaires should exist and totally "earned" exponential amount of capital than the average person?

Unlimited accumulation gives people power to obstruct, corrupt, and circumvent democracy. Every time.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Yikes. Not that I was a Delaney stan or anything, but he campaigned and had to raise money from real people to qualify. This is stupid.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Elizabeth Warren in on this plot to elevate Bloomberg due to his donations?

I mean... she is the one who requested he be included in debates
I only saw Klobuchar say this. Where did Warren say this? Warren allies saying this is not the same as Warren saying this (and Warren was on twitter denouncing this btw)

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly, if by some miracle the Dems choose Bloomberg over Bernie or even Biden, it would be proof that not only was Bernie's criticism of the party not over the top, it did not go nearly far enough. What an embarrassing disaster that would be.

Edit: If this is a Warren scheme... so help me god, I cannot believe how bad her political instincts are. As long as he's just a guy in commercials, you undermine his ability to seem like a real candidate. Letting him share the stage with you guys just makes him seem like your equal, you dummies!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Is Elizabeth Warren in on this plot to elevate Bloomberg due to his donations?

I mean... she is the one who requested he be included in debates
Allies of Warren and Klobuchar asked for him to be included so they can tear him down instead of letting him skate all the way to Super Tuesday by blasting the airwaves and avoiding all the other candidates.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Allies of Warren and Klobuchar asked for him to be included so they can tear him down instead of letting him skate all the way to Super Tuesday by blasting the airwaves and avoiding all the other candidates.
Yea, but no it's actually a secret conspiracy by the DNC to elevate a billionaire who has no chance of actually winning!

Why believe a perfectly reasonable and acceptable reason for Bloomberg being included when I can reinforce my preconceived irrational hate for the Democratic party?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The DNC took his bribes in November so he could get on the debate stage in February after voting had already started, all in an effort to stop Bernie Sanders even though Governor Mike Gravel is literally the only person in the country who would ditch Bernie for Bloomberg. It makes perfect sense if you understand that the DNC is somehow simultaneously Pure Evil And Acts Maliciously For No Other Reason Than To Be Evil, Completely Incompetent, and Also The One Thing That Can Stop Bernie And His Movement.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it really would have been preferable if the billionaire had played by the rules, and tricked hundreds of thousands of middle class Americans into giving him money.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DNC took his bribes in November so he could get on the debate stage in February after voting had already started, all in an effort to stop Bernie Sanders even though Governor Mike Gravel is literally the only person in the country who would ditch Bernie for Bloomberg. It makes perfect sense if you understand that the DNC is somehow simultaneously Pure Evil And Acts Maliciously For No Other Reason Than To Be Evil, Completely Incompetent, and Also The One Thing That Can Stop Bernie And His Movement.
why are you bringing up Bernie Sanders?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
why are you bringing up Bernie Sanders?

perhaps you should ask Soul Skater and Snowy that question?

bernie bro conspiracy :(

Honestly, if by some miracle the Dems choose Bloomberg over Bernie or even Biden, it would be proof that not only was Bernie's criticism of the party not over the top, it did not go nearly far enough. What an embarrassing disaster that would be.

Edit: If this is a Warren scheme... so help me god, I cannot believe how bad her political instincts are. As long as he's just a guy in commercials, you undermine his ability to seem like a real candidate. Letting him share the stage with you guys just makes him seem like your equal, you dummies!

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Russia isn't the one who posted this on Era. We should all try better than exhibiting the same bullshit divisive behavior that was rampant in 2016. Motherfucker is about to be acquitted and this is what we're supposed to expend energy on?
Oh yeah I know it's not Russia just making a joke but seriously I don't think that Bloomberg will benefit from this at all, if he could he probably would have bribed to not show up at the debates.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People arguing about whether this effects bloomberg or not are missing the point. This shouldn't be happening