• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Sending good vibes to Austin, Patrick and team. They're tremendous.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that people are losing their job, would be a real shame if a team as talented as waypoint were eliminated.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
This would really suck. They've been doing a ton lately even if I just focus on their gaming podcasts. Danielle, Patrick, Austin, Natalie, and Rob are all fantastic in their own ways and I hope that if this comes to pass that they will all land on their feet and find a place they are secure and happy. They deserve it.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What's with companies over expanding leading to major problems? Vice started a cable channel and expanded waypoint and their HBO show then shortly after cutting down workforce and financial troubles. Telltale example comes to mind. Not as drastic obviously but still.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Writing been the wall but feel awful for those guys/gals if it's true because I really liked their work. And they spoke up in a thoughtful way about a lot of the problematic bullshit in the culture/hobby/industry.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks that people are losing their jobs. Didn't love Waypoint, but nonetheless, this is awful.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely terrible news. I listen to 3-4 Waypoint podcasts a week and love all of them.

I really hope they land on their feet. Maybe Giant Bomb East expands dramatically?

Oct 25, 2017
Losing Waypoint would be a huge loss, if there's any truth to it then I hope they can pull their talent together elsewhere.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a good Twitter thread explaining all these layoffs:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I never saw eye to eye with them but it really sucks for anyone to lose their gig. Still miss their days at GB though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Besidess, Patrick would need to stay remote, and that's not sure conducive to how GB works. Austin feasibly could, but I don't know if he'd even want to.

Yeah, I definitely think you'd get a too-many-cooks vibe in GB East with Austin returning. As for Patrick, I thought he did a really good job of trying to make his remote status work, between the Super Mario Maker stuff and Scoops & the Wolf. But it's also true that Patrick ended up being pretty isolated from what the other two crews were doing, and it's not clear what the path to reconciling that would be.

I think Waypoint was a really good setup for everyone involved and they were very quick out of the gate in terms of establishing a unique voice and community that you can't just merge back into some other site. Throwing that all away would be a shame, even though I get the economics of it from the Vice side.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Last time I checked, ad block rates were 40%+ on gaming websites - can't survive without that revenue.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Waypoint has taken over Polygon as the completely ridiculous video game news sight that I can't take seriously ( Monster Hunter reminds me of Trump sons being the most notable example), but as much as I dislike the site, it's a shame to see so many people lose their jobs.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
This is horrible but it seemed weirdly inevitable the moment waypoint was launched. It has the vibe of 'we don't expect this to last so enjoy it while it is here'

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked, ad block rates were 40%+ on gaming websites - can't survive without that revenue.
Not unless you have an alternate stream, like GB Premium or Patreon, for sure. It's also why IGN does so much sponsored content, they couldn't survive just off ad revenue. The old model just isn't sustainable anymore. Waypoint was an incredible site, but I always got a bit of a "long-form articles and very little video? I'm not sure how long this will last" vibe from it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Tweets and video gets more engagement than long written articles

Wasn't the impact of video significantly overstated? I can see tweets though. Literally, people only want to digest a snapshot bit of content.

Which sucks, because I pour hours into copy. If I could boil a review down into 280 chars, that would be quite the thing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Aw fuck. I feel sorry for everyone who's affected by this.

I really hope Waypoint makes it through this okay. That team has been a gem.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I know GB is not the best place for written articles and journalist pieces that Klepek and Walker prefer, but I really miss them on GB podcasts.

I wish them luck.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Patrick really messed up by leaving Kotaku. He could've had that job for as long as he wanted.
Meh, I don't think he messed up. Waypoint was an incredible opportunity for him to help start up something that truly meant something to him. Kotaku may have had stability, but it wasn't the kind of content Patrick wanted to put out (or was good at). Anytime Patrick published something at Kotaku, it felt super out of place with the rest of what they did. Honestly, the same was true of Giant Bomb to a degree.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I loved loved LOVED Patrick and Austin at Giant Bomb, I think that they both have different goals about what they want to focus on and accomplish with their careers. And so while selfishly it'd be cool if they came back and cool if GB was able to keep them able to pay rent, I think they've sort've grown into a different direction than the 'entertainer' direction.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Crossing my fingers for my Waypoint crew. I love them and hope all the best for them. This is some real bullshit and Waypoint's voice is extremely important right now.