• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
How strangely apt, I just had some Mac and Cheese an hour ago, I experimented with some stuff I've never had before. Annie's Cheddar Rice Pasta+Plain Yogurt+Coconut Oil Spread. Turned out great!

Disorder aside, I totally get the comfort food feeling of Mac and Cheese ESPECIALLY the Velveeta. That creamy texture man. I say I love Mac and Cheese almost as much as you can be minus this guy's disorder.

Even before clicking, I've heard of this disorder and figured it was that. There are certainly worse things, but I'm glad he's getting help. Wish him the best.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good dude who really wants to resolve this.

But man... this doctor out here really telling him that he's fine now, but it will be a problem when he's older? The fuck?

Either the healthcare system is terrible as I've heard it is down south or that Velveeta is packed with all the nutrients you could ever need...

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think he'd be like a Mac and Cheese connoisseur, making some fancy shit because it's all he eats, but it's just velveeta. I'm glad he's getting help though, since he's severely shortened his life expectancy by depriving his body of so many nutrients and vitamins.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
QuarterlyThatFoal-size_restricted.gif
Yup.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
You'd think he'd be like a Mac and Cheese connoisseur, making some fancy shit because it's all he eats, but it's just velveeta.
Yeah this is what I imagined at first, like he just had mac and cheese but had it in a variety of ways which would actually be pretty cool. He did say he had Annie's sometimes too, and that stuff is great.

What I wonder is, he said he's 20, and he's eaten it for 17 years then how the heck did his upbringing enable it? Did his mom just shrug it off going "Lol more money and food for me" That's really messed up. EDIT: Oh I guess it's in the latter half of the video? My bad,

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You'd think he'd be like a Mac and Cheese connoisseur, making some fancy shit because it's all he eats, but it's just velveeta. I'm glad he's getting help though, since he's severely shortened his life expectancy by depriving his body of so many nutrients and vitamins.
Velveeta just cheap enough for his father to not rage at him for eating. I can totally understand him coming from a father that micro manages me about food on a daily basis.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Insensitive Commentary on Mental Illness Over Multiple Posts
Seems like this is some kind of OCD. He can't help himself, so yeah, it is hard. for him anyway

I'm not saying it's not a struggle. It is. I'm in my mid 30s and thinking about eating something like potato salad or anything with vinegar still makes me want to throw up. i guess what I'm saying is that the struggle has trivial stakes compared to like a billion other problems people have in this world.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is what I imagined at first, like he just had mac and cheese but had it in a variety of ways which would actually be pretty cool. He did say he had Annie's sometimes too, and that stuff is great.

What I wonder is, he said he's 20, and he's eaten it for 17 years then how the heck did his upbringing enable it? Did his mom just shrug it off going "Lol more money and food for me" That's really messed up. EDIT: Oh I guess it's in the latter half of the video? My bad,

He doesn't go in a ton of detail in the video but he comes from an abusive household and left the home after being beaten unconscious. I would guess that abuse and neglect were the norm for him.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's not a struggle. It is. I'm in my mid 30s and thinking about eating something like potato salad or anything with vinegar still makes me want to throw up. i guess what I'm saying is that the struggle has trivial stakes compared to like a billion other problems people have in this world.
But you are saying he's using his abuse as an excuse for his mental illness. A mental illness that he's actively trying to overcome.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are people not allowed to suffer from mental health because other people around the world have their own problems too?

The stakes here honestly kind of seem like his life? I have no idea how a doctor can tell you you're gonna be fine after eating one food for 17 years and it seems like a miracle to me he was able to keep boxing as much as he has

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a competition. He's struggling from something that seems to be a not-widely-known yet diagnosable disorder. It's an experience worth sharing. He makes the point in the very video that finding out that he's not just super picky, but that he has something that can possibly be treated, was an immense boost to his mental wellbeing.

It's like telling an anorexic person to "just have a sandwich"!

And the stakes are high for him. That kind of diet will eventually have consequences to his physical health.

Man some of this thread is shitty. Dude suffers from some trauma and is actively seeking help.
yup.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn... the way his mac and cheese is viewed as a "comfort food" and one of the only things he has control over makes perfect sense considering the PTSD from the abusive parents.

He seems to have a good mindset for where he is and is actively seeking help. Good luck to him.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a competition. He's struggling from something that seems to be a not-widely-known yet diagnosable disorder. It's an experience worth sharing. He makes the point in the very video that finding out that he's not just super picky, but that he has something that can possibly be treated.

It's like telling an anorexic person to "just have a sandwich"!

yup.

Feels like skirting the edge of victim blaming. I don't like seeing bans for the sake of it honestly but I feel like much of the thread deserves it. People really don't give a shit about mental health

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Feels like skirting the edge of victim blaming. I don't like seeing bans for the sake of it honestly but I feel like much of the thread deserves it. People really don't give a shit about mental health
People are starving in Africa and you have depression? Get over yourself!

But seriously, mental health issues a lot of times seem small or even silly to other people, but can basically control your entire existence.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Yes they do, but watching a video for 10 minutes posting your hot take about how Velveeta is shit tier than watching the entire video, or not deciding to post unreflected input without having watched the entire story.

But seriously, mental health issues a lot of times seem small or even silly to other people, but can basically control your entire existence.

Yup.
It would really help if we had access to some ... like videos ... where people with these kinds of 'silly' mental health issues tell their story and show how much it affects them and how they're actively looking for help, right?

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Totally not shocked that some posters here don't give a shit about mental health issues, nor should anyone else be surprised. It happens in pretty much all of these threads.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Totally not shocked that some posters here don't give a shit about mental health issues, nor should anyone else be surprised. It happens in pretty much all of these threads.
Mental health, trans, and threads about overweight people continue to be a blight on ERA, because it always brings out the worst kind of people we have. The "pull up your boot straps" kind of people, completely lacking human empathy unless it involves themselves.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, hey y'all. I cracked the fucking code. Every single form of mental illness can be overcome with sheer fucking willpower. Your neural network has wired itself so that when you eat something other than the chosen food, you puke or it triggers a gag reflex?

DON'T BE A BITCH. JUST POWER THROUGH IT. TRY NEW THINGS. DON'T USE FUCKING MENTAL ILLNESS AS AN EXCUSE. OO RAH SEMPER FI TESTOSTERONE

Fuck outta here with that shit.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I'm glad he showed a class and ate with silverware directly from the pot and not with the wooden spoon while eating in front of his computer.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I feel like I only found out about picky eaters here or in the last place, and it seemed pretty common?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
D: he doesn't even eat the good stuff
Well, shit, he even focuses on that velveeta mac and cheese shit.
What happens when you're doing this more as a coping mechanism I'm afraid. Someone could probably turn this into something of a challenge by mixing it up and having something that, if not really healthy, at least gets yourself more nutrients, but so it goes when it's like this. :(

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread are fucking vile.

People running in to post their shitty takes about a dude suffering from trauma.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like he's doing better going by the youtube comments, which is a relief. I looked up the stuff he was eating and I was surprised how much nutritional value it actually had.

That being said, I'm also even more surprised he's not dead - just losing all that weight doesn't fix everything. He needs to be seeing a nutritionist, and they need to be checking all of him: liver, pancreas, a blood panel, gut bacteria panel, the works. Of course, that sounds like a massive obstacle because of money. Really fucking sucks.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Could you get all your nutrition from just mac and cheese and water? It seems like you might? Maybe a lot of calories that aren't "great", but if the basic vitamins and minerals are covered I dunno, would you be ok? You got your basic carbs, proteins, and fats and the pasta/dairy would probably give your body enough to synthesize most of the vitamins and minerals you need, the only one I don't know about is vitamin D.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it wasn't just Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, the dollar box.

At least he has some love for himself and gets the Velveeta. There's hope for this man.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I was ready to laugh this guy off but after seeing the video I believe him and hope he can work past this.

You see this barely 20yo dude open his cabinet and there's like 15 boxes of mac and cheese in there and you have certain instincts about that scenario, but it's definitely more than it seems on the surface

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I would crush up a multi vitamin and sprinkle it in at least. Next I would try mixing in another brand for a while, then trying just the other brand, then mixing in a vegetable. I'm not sure what this guy has or hasn't done but I can't imagine that much mac n cheese. Hope he can figure it out.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Hope he gets better, what kind of doctor tells you eating like that is not urgent to change? Nutritional value of that thing has to be terrible, he can't have good blood levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Could you get all your nutrition from just mac and cheese and water? It seems like you might? Maybe a lot of calories that aren't "great", but if the basic vitamins and minerals are covered I dunno, would you be ok?
There are some essentials you can get in large quantities from doing a diet like that for a specific task, like a high protein meal before a workout a couple times a week. But you can't get everything you need from just one type of food, far from it. You become incredibly deficient. Loads of compounding health problems that don't get better, because you're not supplying your body with nutrition it needs to sustain/recover. Vitamins and nutrients/metals extracted from food are much better than a strict diet of one thing+additional supplementation, that's a fact.

Part of the problem he was (possibly) having that the video doesn't touch on (I'm speculating) was that he was partially becoming sick by only rarely eating foods that his body couldn't process, after a certain point (a few years in). Your gut biome is shaped by what you eat, and raw or cooked high fiber vegetables and redder meats take a lot of energy to process. When all you can break down without getting sick is processed gluten, whey and cheese slop, you are in some real ass trouble.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I have a hard time believing this won't be a very serious (physical) health problem for this person. Glad to see he's making strides with a therapist -- hope he's able to overcome this disorder and branch out while he's still young.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Is there a chance that this guy will fare better than the other teen who went blind eating nothing but fries? The Mac and cheese has to have many more sustaining nutrients, yes?

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Could you get all your nutrition from just mac and cheese and water? It seems like you might? Maybe a lot of calories that aren't "great", but if the basic vitamins and minerals are covered I dunno, would you be ok? You got your basic carbs, proteins, and fats and the pasta/dairy would probably give your body enough to synthesize most of the vitamins and minerals you need, the only one I don't know about is vitamin D.
No. You need vitamins, fats, and proteins.