• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Another way to describe it could be 'thoroughly middle of the road.' Though an oscsar nom isn't that much weirder than the other crap that has been on the roster the last decade.

The only thing memorable about BP was the villain who was underutilized.
A middle of the road movie doesn't have a 88 MC score or 97 RT. And a movie doesn't make billions if it's only memorable because of a great antagonist. The cultural consensus is that it's an Oscar caliber movie.

If you feel that way though, more power to ya.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Vice, but I liked Roma even less so that makes it my least favorite 2019 BP nom.

While I agree that the editing in Bohemian Rhapsody is...abysmal, I don't think it actively harms the telling of the story. At the very least I can look at this scene and understand what it's trying to say. Vice's editing, on the other hand, is a complete trash fire. Easily the worst editing of any 2018 film I've seen, Oscar nominated or otherwise.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously pulling for Black Panther to win. That'll be the most entertaining result.

Vice and BR were just bad movies straight up.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm talking in terms of cultural impact. Black Panther was huge and the highest grossing movie of the year in the US and introduced a ton of shit into the cultural lexicon. It's a movie people will still be talking about in twenty years. Ain't nobody talking about Vice except for the context of "Why was this nominated?"

And Vice is way too scattershot and does a piss poor job of explaining why Cheney was so bad. Basically just amounts to "Dick Cheney was bad" which most people already knew.

This isn't supposed to be about awarding the highest grossing movie. In that case every year best picture goes to popcorn flicks that made a lot of money. I don't disagree with the rest of your point. Just don't think it's a great movie despite its success. I don't know if it will be as remembered as you think though. There are several marvel movies a year now, it'll get lost in the shuffle when people look back.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Roma and The Favourite are the best.
Then there's Vice and BlackKklansman.
Then Green Book.
Then Black Panther and Star is Born.
And Bohemian Rapsody at the bottom.

Nov 1, 2017
This isn't supposed to be about awarding the highest grossing movie. In that case every year best picture goes to popcorn flicks that made a lot of money. I don't disagree with the rest of your point. Just don't think it's a great movie despite its success. I don't know if it will be as remembered as you think though. There are several marvel movies a year now, it'll get lost in the shuffle when people look back.

No, the Oscars shouldn't be a popularity contest but 99% of the time the movie they give Best Picture too isn't the best picture of the year. The best that you can hope for with the Oscars is that they give it to a good movie that will be remembered, as opposed to shit like The Artist which people have already forgot about. I think BP is the 5th best nominee but I'd be fine with it winning cause I think it's good (objectively a better-made movie than IW) and in a lot of ways representative of the big "narrative" of the year in cinema.

Also I totally disagree that it will get lost in the marvel shuffle. The setting and cast differentiate it in a way that keeps it from blending in with most of the other Marvel movies, aside from the fact that it's already a phenomenon and domestically the highest-grossing MCU movie of all time.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"People will still be talking about Black Panther in 20 years" kind of ignores how quickly the relevance and memory of Marvel movies gets buried under the weight of more Marvel movies. Almost all of the solo hero flicks are forgotten pretty quickly.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I personally enjoyed Vice but I definitely don't think it deserves to win Best Picture. I don't agree with most of the criticisms I've seen of the film but it definitely has problems with: the way it really downplays Bush's involvement, the Shakespeare scene, the torture scene and nobody looks right until pretty deep into the film. What I mean by that is for example early in the film Steve Carell just looks like Steve Carell with glasses and Christian Bale just looks like husky Christian Bale. It's pretty distracting. Also, the ending is such a nothing scene. I will say that I like Bale's Cheney voice more than his fucking atrocious Batman voice. lol

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like Vice, but I liked Roma even less so that makes it my least favorite 2019 BP nom.

While I agree that the editing in Bohemian Rhapsody is...abysmal, I don't think it actively harms the telling of the story. At the very least I can look at this scene and understand what it's trying to say. Vice's editing, on the other hand, is a complete trash fire. Easily the worst editing of any 2018 film I've seen, Oscar nominated or otherwise.

100%. Vice's editing actively gives you a headache and muddles the story

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
Please give me to 10 examples

Compare 2018 to 1994

First Reformed
The Rider
You were Never Really Here
Paddington 2
Eighth Grade
MI Fallout
If Beale Street Could Talk
Leave No Trace
Can You Ever Forgive Me
Spiderman
Shoplifters
Burning
Sorry To Bother You
Blindspotting
Annihilation
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Hereditary
Widows
Suspiria
A Private War
Private Life
Wildlife
First Man
The Old Man and the Gun

All better choices than at least half of the films nominated

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
While not the best movie of the year, I think Black Panther is the most important movie of the year, which the oscar for best picture used to go to for quite a long time.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Being LGBT myself, I really didn't have anywhere near the same impression you did.

Sure, and I and many other queer people thought the film came across as weirdly homophobic.

Framing all the gay encounters as either dark shadowy figures or the entirely fictional lying gay man who manipulates Freddie and is the start of his downfall is a clear choice. Film is a visual medium and how you depict the characters and situations creates a moral implication. Literally having a scene where he visits a leather bar and looks almost overwhelmed by hedonistic desire directly juxtaposed with the song Another One Bites the Dust suggests a clear moral framing of non-monogamous gay sex, whether intended or not, that depicts it as a destructive and terrible force in his undoing. The immorality of sex with strangers is shown to be an element of what we're meant to read as the self-destructive behavior and the "good" gay lover only appears briefly, despite being a massive part of Freddie's life for years and years, and is framed as sexless moral support who quietly holds his hand.

Hutton's meeting with Mercury is presented as entirely devoid of any of the same debauchery the rest of the gay encounters are depicted as -- he's cleaning up your house, Freddie, do you get it! -- even though in real life he met this second great love of his life at a gay bar, because of course he did. Couldn't possibly have that in the film, though, could we; people might get the wrong impression and think this was one of the bad gays like all the rest.

"People will still be talking about Black Panther in 20 years" kind of ignores how quickly the relevance and memory of Marvel movies gets buried under the weight of more Marvel movies. Almost all of the solo hero flicks are forgotten pretty quickly.

People still obsess over Iron Man as the first one -- and so for a certain kind of person, forever the best one -- so it's possible Black Panther could have the same relevance.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No more or less than 90% of other films. I hear people talk about the Captain America films more than The Artist, Hurt Locker, or Birdman

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by this thread im only one of the handful of people on era that enjoyed BH. Hell yeah

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Black Panther - overlooking the color of the cast this was boringly mediocre.
Green Book and BlackKkklansman are out because of serious historical inaccuracies that fixed could have made much more interesting movies about race relations.
Bohemian Rhapsody - never have a movie celebrated a gay icon so much and at the same time shamed him so much for his sexuality and illness. If I were gay, I would be furious that it was nominated.
Vice apparently is a mess.
A Star is Born - Why on earth was this nominated?
Roma and the Favourite seem to be reasonable contenders. As usual the best film is probably foreign and not nominated.

I'm gonna just agree and quote this.

This crop of best picture nominees is absolutely just awful.

Roma or the Favourite better win. When considering the competition they are not only better but the ONLY reasonable choices.

Judging by this thread im only one of the handful of people on era that enjoyed BH. Hell yeah

It's a horrible film with horrible acting. It is a slap in the face to Freddy Mercury as a musician and artist. He deserved better.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Vice wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst of the nominees. It also made me laugh out loud with some of the comedy bits, which is rare.

I'd argue A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are both weaker than Vice, mostly due very weak scripts (in Bohemian's case abysmally so, Star was just all sorts mediocre).

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Do we think maybe the framing of gay sex as horrible and immoral in Bohemian Rhapsody was the entirely accidental result of its director being a pedophile who literally doesn't know how to depict a healthy expression of queer sexuality?

Vice wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst of the nominees. It also made me laugh out loud with some of the comedy bits, which is rare.

I'd argue A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are both weaker than Vice, mostly due very weak scripts (in Bohemian's case abysmally so, Star was just all sorts mediocre).

The weirdest thing about A Star is Born is that it's a remake of a series of films that are largely about what it's like to be the wife of a self-destructive man and reframes it so that she's almost a side character. The husband has historically been underdeveloped in these movies, so it's nice to evolve his role, but it's like they overcorrected to make the film entirely about him, which in the end resulted in it lacking in depth. She's still technically the point of view character, at least sometimes, but there's so little there about her actual perspective.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with BR as being the worst of the bunch. I enjoyed the movie for the most part but BP nominee? Not even close. I didn't even think Malek's performance was that great and they exaggerated the hell out of his teeth. The movie was horribly safe and by-the-numbers. I would have rather saw Cohen's take on it, personally.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I think people think of the Best Picture category as more prestigious than it actually is. For years, there have been movies created to fit the "Oscar bait" mold to fill up nominations in these categories despite being filled unremarkable movies each year. This is one of the first years in recent memory where the nominations actually are in line with what the critical and audience reception of these movies were in real life, rather than some super elite group of movie snobs that get off praising the same types of movies every year.

It's never been about nominating the outstanding work of the year, but rather checking boxes to gain approval of a voting body with their own biases. The argument of whether the Best Picture nominees are mediocre this year seem silly in this context.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lion King? The person you're responding to says a lot of posters don't recognize the importance of the themes in the film and your response is that it's like The Lion King?

Yeah for a formulaic Marvel film it's crazy how much of Black Panther seemed to go over your head.
I mean, there's literally a scene where the main character talks to a spirit version of his dead father for guidance that even as far as imagery goes is straight lifted from TLK. But more to the structural points of TLK, it becomes about the throne being usurped and the main character, who is the true heir to the throne, coming back to reclaim what is rightfully his.

And I want to be clear, I am not saying BP is literally The Lion King, what I said is "[it] also cribs liberally from The Lion King at points." As in, that was an aside in addition to my larger point. But to say it doesn't have any of these same beats is wrong.

My point was largely that BP still follows the Marvel blockbuster formula to a T. And there's nothing wrong with that. I love all the Marvel movies, including Black Panther. But people are ascribing much greater importance to the plot than there actually is. I think there is a bit more depth going on with the Killmonger character (which I also pointed out in that post) that is a bit more outside the normal formula and is actually about something real, but I don't think that is enough to elevate the entire movie -- and I also think they shied away from REALLY making a statement with him because they didn't want to veer too far off the formula.

But I'm always willing to listen and learn. So please don't hesitate to enlighten me on what supposedly important themes I'm not recognizing in the movie.

I doubt any of them deserve the title of worst best picture nominee ever though.
I never said they did.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's a race for last this year. 2018 had so much more to offer in cinema than these shocking nominations. In a year where voters were absolutely spoiled for choice, with so many genres and so many opportunities to represent marginalized filmmakers, we have the likes of Vice and Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't like ASIB or Black Panther either but at least their merit is debatable. Those other three are not debatable -- they are bad.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Black Panther IS special by being the first major blockbuster with a majority black cast. And it's going to be remembered for that. I don't think that aspect alone though makes it best picture of the year material though.

I'm not a fan of Black Panther. It doesn't deserve an Oscar for any catagory. However, I recognize it justifiably meant a lot to the black community as a film not just about strong black characters, but also went mainstream with young people. That said, it's not the first film to accomplish that.

Many critically and financially successful mainstream films with a majority black cast existed before Black Panther. I make this point because it would be a massive disservice to those films to imply they were simply "too white" or not popular enough.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of Black Panther. It doesn't deserve an Oscar for any catagory. However, I recognize it justifiably meant a lot to the black community as a film not just about strong black characters, but also went mainstream with young people. That said, it's not the first film to accomplish that.

Many critically and financially successful mainstream films with a majority black cast existed before Black Panther. I make this point because it would be a massive disservice to those films to imply they were simply "too white" or not popular enough.

What's your argument against it in terms of sound editing, sound mixing, and costume design?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't say no movies with a majority black cast existed before BP. BP is absolutely the first blockbuster film at the budget level it's at (and put out as a major studio release like it was) to have a majority black cast though.

Nov 11, 2017
Vice is leagues better than Bhohemian Rhapsody. Watched it today and this is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Screw the Best Picture nonsence, the real injustice will be if Spidey doesn't get the best animated feature film nod.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Hutton's meeting with Mercury is presented as entirely devoid of any of the same debauchery the rest of the gay encounters are depicted as -- he's cleaning up your house, Freddie, do you get it! -- even though in real life he met this second great love of his life at a gay bar, because of course he did. Couldn't possibly have that in the film, though, could we; people might get the wrong impression and think this was one of the bad gays like all the rest.

The entire ending of him finding the nice, non-deviant male who works hard, introducing him to the family, talking about how he always remembered what his father said, becoming monogamous, getting away from drugs, etc. They painted a pretty clear picture of what is considered "good" and "bad" and tied everything bad to the homosexual lifestyle he had prior. Might as well added the white picket fence in.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Vice is leagues better than Bhohemian Rhapsody. Watched it today and this is one of the worst films I have ever seen.
I usually watch all the best picture nominees, but from clips that I've seen (and reviews/impressions) I decided to skip Bohemian Rhapsody (and Star is Born for other reasons). I thought Vice was quite decent, but not nearly the best I've seen from last year.