• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
Yea if you absolutely must stay at the hotels near the conference. But he wasn't. Just a normal trip to Chicago there will be plenty of rooms available even one day out, 30 is nothing. "Scrambling" lol, just pop open hotels.com, it's not rocket science.

The author was going to Chicago for Riot Fest, a giant multi-day music festival. That's the sort of thing that causes hotels to book up early, to where 30 days out is very late.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Self promotion
I have a few properties that I rent exclusively through Airbnb and VRBO and make a good amount more vs renting it to long term renters. My rates are cheaper than hotels and guests get a much more charming, larger, nicer and flexible place (I also allow pets). They also get all the conveniences of home which is a huge selling point and something no hotel can offer. Even the ones with kitchens suck and have bar bones when it comes to anything a kitchen needs. I treat it as a business and guests have the same requests and expectations they would with a hotel.

I did get scammed once and a tenant trashed the place and refused to leave. Airbnb wasn't much help and the police didn't k ow what to do so I shut the power off (I live in Phoenix and was 105+) and it didn't take long for them to leave. They cost me thousands. Unfortunately there's risks for both parties.

MOD EDIT: self promotion link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I read this story last night and it's an excellent piece of journalism.

Reminds me of an awful AirBnB experience I had in New York a few years ago.
  1. Wife and I arrived in New York, texted our host. Host's picture looked like a 30-something woman

2. Host messages back saying she can't meet us, but her friend will let us in

3. Her friend also says he can't meet us, so his friend will let us in

4. That 3rd guy shows up - the actual place's address is slightly different from the listing's address we were given after booking it btw - and he's this coked out creepy dude with a massive ring of keys. He's constantly sniffling, amped up like crazy, randomly yelling at people on the phone while checking us in, etc.

5. The dude checks us in and basically threatens us - tells us that if the city comes by and asks, we need to lie about our planned stay that we're staying for 60 days, not just a week. Otherwise we might get arrested and our bags confiscated. Ok dude, thanks for telling me you're running a scam operation illegally.

6. After checking in, we realize that the place is disgusting, dust and hair everywhere, toilet splashes out when flushed, dirty mystery towel hanging there by itself, and more gross stuff

We left that night and didn't come back. Managed to find a hotel nearby that was just as cheap, but really nice. Managed to get a full refund from AirBnB too, thankfully.

AirBnB is a disaster. Absolutely no interest in trying it again.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
I've stayed in some awesome AirBnBs in Toyko, Nara, Amsterdam. There are some great spots all over. But obviously some shady people out there too, got to use you're judgement I guess.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I've stayed in some awesome AirBnBs in Toyko, Nara, Amsterdam. There are some great spots all over. But obviously some shady people out there too, got to use you're judgement I guess.
Yup. On balance this past few years I think all my AirBNB experiences have been quite good, hotels mixed, VRBO mostly quite good. It would be interesting to see how poor experiences stand against cost of rental; since we're mostly renting high end apartments for a week+ when we travel overseas.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Did an AirBNB last year in Philly for PAX Unplugged, worked out great. Cute little apartment close to the con, doorman knew what was up and had zero issues letting me in, everything was fine.

Staying at a different AirBNB this year since the prior one wasn't available, fingers crossed for the same good experience.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I booked an entire vacation trough airbnb exactly two years ago, now Im feeling very lucky that everything went perfect.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
This. Any time I hear about anyone talking about using one I wonder if there's a particular reason for it.
If you're by yourself, hotel is better.

With a group, a house is way better than a hotel room. You get a kitchen so you're able to go to the grocery store and cook with your friends, which is both more fun and saves you money. You can grab beers and hangout at the house instead of paying money at a bar. You don't have to worry about making too much noise. There's a million reasons Airbnb is better for group travelling, at least in my experience. It's worth the risk.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really like the reporting in the article. The FBI are investigating that slimeball? That's a good result.

I'm an Airbnb user, and an Airbnb superhost with a 5* rating. This news isn't enough to put me off doing either. Airbnb is a great way to book a cheaper room, with a kitchen if you need it, and it's been a great way to make money off the smaller unit in my building.

Here's a pro tip: If you get a call, or a message saying that your Airbnb isn't available for any reason, demand that the host cancel, don't cancel yourself.

If the host cancels, you receive a full refund, and it goes on their record. If you cancel, and it's in the no-refund window, you'll end up paying for half of your booking. You don't want that. If your host tries to direct you to a different location, demand that they cancel and contact Airbnb immediately. If you show up and it looks sketchy, contact Airbnb immediately. Take a picture if you can.

I booked an entire vacation trough airbnb exactly two years ago, now Im feeling very lucky that everything went perfect.

You had the average experience. The story describes an extreme outlier, but unfortunately it's pretty scary.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
AirBNB is not only way cheaper than a hotel, but you can get far more space, multiple rooms, and parking on site. Also kitchens. It's better than a hotel for large groups in almost every way.

But it does need a lot of regulation.

Was this not apparent in the pictures and reviews?
Bro at least pretend to have read the article in the OP.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I came across an Airbnb scam a few years ago when my fiance and I were booking places for our trip in Europe.

There was a HUGE place in Venice that looked amazing, but it's price seemed too good to be true. I think I messaged the "owner" and they responded they don't actually book the place through Airbnb, but you needed to use a seperate website.

I instantly knew it was shady as hell so I reported it and got the listing taken down.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I came across an Airbnb scam a few years ago when my fiance and I were booking places for our trip in Europe.

There was a HUGE place in Venice that looked amazing, but it's price seemed too good to be true. I think I messaged the "owner" and they responded they don't actually book the place through Airbnb, but you needed to use a seperate website.

I instantly knew it was shady as hell so I reported it and got the listing taken down.

I'm not saying what you described wasn't a scam, but the separate website thing can actually be legit. We go to Bend, OR with friends very Memorial Day weekend and the place we rent from no longer uses AirBNB to avoid the fees they're charged. We book through them directly via PayPal on our Amex (just in case) and it's always been fine. I've heard this is getting common in Hawaii as well.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying what you described wasn't a scam, but the separate website thing can actually be legit. We go to Bend, OR with friends very Memorial Day weekend and the place we rent from no longer uses AirBNB to avoid the fees they're charged. We book through them directly via PayPal on our Amex (just in case) and it's always been fine. I've heard this is getting common in Hawaii as well.
Interesting.

Given the crazy low price of the place compared to similar Airbnbs in Venice I'm all but certain this one was a scam.
Also very smart to use the card as a safety measure.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
The BBB is the most useless thing in existence.
As someone whose agency works with the BBB on a very frequent basis, attitudes like this are why the BBB struggles. It depends on consumer input, because the BBB doesn't and can't monitor every business in the US. If no one utilizes the BBB, of course the BBB is going to not be able to help. It requires multiple points of input for the BBB to take something from "this is a single isolated incident" to "this is a systemic problem we need to look in to".

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Interesting.

Given the crazy low price of the place compared to similar Airbnbs in Venice I'm all but certain this one was a scam.
Also very smart to use the card as a safety measure.

Seriously, if you've got an Amex use it for everything (and pay it off every month in full) that you can since their customer protection is amazing. We're going to Budapest and Krakow later this month and booked via AirBNB in both cities. As I said earlier my wife did her due dilligence with booking but just in case we get burned Amex has our back.

Nov 30, 2018
Why do people wait for refunds instead of doing chargebacks? I don't care about being banned from a shit service.

Easier than dealing with these corps

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
As someone whose agency works with the BBB on a very frequent basis, attitudes like this are why the BBB struggles. It depends on consumer input, because the BBB doesn't and can't monitor every business in the US. If no one utilizes the BBB, of course the BBB is going to not be able to help. It requires multiple points of input for the BBB to take something from "this is a single isolated incident" to "this is a systemic problem we need to look in to".
The BBB is just a worthless entity that markets its credibility as something worth having. It isn't worth talking to them as they almost never solve your issues.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever a follow up with FBI or nothing yet? I have a coworker that swears by Airbnb only to find out later he actually owns a bunch of properties he rents out. He seems to try and run them in a legit way but idk much more than that.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Airbnb is one of those things that make me feel incredibly old and out of touch. Why would you want to stay in someone's house our apartment rather than a professional hotel?
To give you an idea, I just stayed in Moscow in a beautiful apartment 20 minute walk to the red square for 80 dollars a night.

If I stayed at a hotel it would have cost around 300$ a night for a similar location. It also was very unique and personable, the entire apartment was designed in a ballet theme because of its close orientation to the Bolshoi theater.

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with Airbnb. Sticking with superhosts and airbnb plus places. No problems and I've done it 10 times across the US and outside the country.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
To give you an idea, I just stayed in Moscow in a beautiful apartment 20 minute walk to the red square for 80 dollars a night.

If I stayed at a hotel it would have cost around 300$ a night for a similar location. It also was very unique and personable, the entire apartment was designed in a ballet theme because of its close orientation to the Bolshoi theater.

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with Airbnb. Sticking with superhosts and airbnb plus places. No problems and I've done it 10 times across the US and outside the country.

In general, I'll echo this. I recently stayed in a huge apartment in central Vienna with luxury amenities for half the cost of a hotel.

I have mostly had positive experiences with the exception of one (super)host who tried to shake me down for an inordinate amount of money for 'damage' I had nothing to do with. It seems like there are some superhosts who think they can bully new users for a payday.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
All of these "sharing economy" companies are nothing more than huge corporations that just want to go over everyone's rights and get their profits, while getting sympathy from the public because they are now offering a cheaper service than what we had available before (I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that hey over everyone's rights....).

But about the scam itself, I dont go reading all rules of websites I visit, but since the first time I used AirBnb I know that if the hosts cancels the stay, or if I am not happy with what I am presented with, AirBnb will let me stay in a property up to 20% more expensive for no added cost. It is a decent protection for the renter. Cancellation fees are always clearly displayed before booking. If you call on the second day to complain, you re definitely not getting the first day refunded, so call them as soon as whatever shit happened.

I once had a problem with a property that offered parking and when I got there the parking was actually a public parking, 10 minutes away from the house. After calling Airbnb I got another apartment (same owner) and they refunded me the equivalent to one day of parking (about 30 euros I believe). Lost 2-3 hours of my weekend, but it was worth it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AirBnB has gotten kind of ridiculous. People use it to make illegal hotels for more money rather than providing that unit for rental housing that the area needs.

Not to mention after all the bullshit fees it often ends up being very comparable in price to a cheap hotel but with potentially less privacy.

The idea behind it is great but it is almost impossible to enforce.

The fees especially are very frustrating. I once found a 30 something dollar per night listing. Clicked on it intending to book. Final price was in the 70's/80's. COOL.

That being said, all my experiences have been fine.

Oct 25, 2017
AirBnB has gotten kind of ridiculous. People use it to make illegal hotels for more money rather than providing that unit for rental housing that the area needs.

Not to mention after all the bullshit fees it often ends up being very comparable in price to a cheap hotel but with potentially less privacy.

The idea behind it is great but it is almost impossible to enforce.

The fees especially are very frustrating. I once found a 30 something dollar per night listing. Clicked on it intending to book. Final price was in the 70's/80's. COOL.

That being said, all my experiences have been fine.
Yeah I've found that's a big problem. You should be able to search by total price instead of nightly rate, because the whole "there's a cleaning fee that's almost as much as the nightly cost" switcharoo just feels actively user-hostile.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so now they are going to verify things but not when CBC pretty much had the same story lol

Guess they didn't care until a story went viral....

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In Downtown Toronto there are multiple condo buildings where half or more of the units operate as Airbnb "ghost hotels", and it makes life miserable for the people who actually live in those buildings. It's completely out of control.

Oct 25, 2017
In Downtown Toronto there are multiple condo buildings where half or more of the units operate as Airbnb "ghost hotels", and it makes life miserable for the people who actually live in those buildings. It's completely out of control.

And every couple weeks there is a news story about someone getting shot or stabbed at a short term rental, or a party that pissed off the neighbours or destroyed a house =/

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Nah, fuck the BBB. They are a crooked organization that essentially let's companies bribe the BBB to hide bad reviews. We've had dealings with the BBB many times in the past, and they would literally threaten to post bad review from a customer but would offer us to pay for their service which would essentially hide the review to public and only paying customers could even see it. We've had the same with BBB reps coming in and offering us their "protection".

The BBB is a fucking scam with no actual power. It's Yelp that businesses can pay money too to essentially get a seal that also helps them hide bad reviews. Fuck em. And yes, the BBB is completely powerless, it's a private company and has no government connection. No matter how much negative feedback or scamming is reported, the BBB will do absolutely nothing and have zero power to do anything.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
my girlfriend and I had our AirBnB reservation on Oahu cancelled six days before we were due to depart. Local government there has enforced a massive crackdown on unlicensed airBnB's leaving thousands of people out of accommodation on short notice. Shit sucks

We're flying in two days and are scrambling to find an alternative

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge: Airbnb intends to verify all listings following shooting and scam report.
"Verification doesn't mean that Airbnb will be sending inspectors to every single home and apartment listed on the site, however. Instead, verification will be done through a mixture of company and community monitoring. As part of that, Airbnb will start asking guests to answer more questions about the places they've stayed, so that the company can get updates on whether listing details are correct. "We'll try to triangulate information," Chesky said."

So they aren't actually verifying shit then. This is just PR bullshit.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I feel dense.

I read the whole article... but I don't quite understand the scam?

Do the initial places that had "issues" just not exist at all?

Are the scammers counting on $$$ even if the buyer cancels?

super sketch, yes... and I'd be pissed. But how are the scammers explicitly profiting?
The initial places look great but do not exist, the scammers get people to sign up for (fake) apartments with high prices. Then they claim there's a problem with the property, do you agree to go to this other place not listed on AirBNB? And that place ends up being crappy. This company owns a number of rundown buildings that they could never get people to agree to on AirBNB, let alone for the high prices of the advertised units and use a bait and switch scheme.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

With a group, a house is way better than a hotel room. You get a kitchen so you're able to go to the grocery store and cook with your friends, which is both more fun and saves you money. You can grab beers and hangout at the house instead of paying money at a bar. You don't have to worry about making too much noise. There's a million reasons Airbnb is better for group travelling, at least in my experience. It's worth the risk.
If i'm going to be in a place where I think I'm going to want a kitchen and shit and it will be long enough that such a thing matters, I'll just go to an extended stay. I'm not trusting some unregulated <resource>-sharing service for anything. Same reason I don't use Lyft or Uber or anything like that.

Nov 7, 2017
If i'm going to be in a place where I think I'm going to want a kitchen and shit and it will be long enough that such a thing matters, I'll just go to an extended stay. I'm not trusting some unregulated <resource>-sharing service for anything. Same reason I don't use Lyft or Uber or anything like that.
Bruh you act like extended stays are everywhere. They are pretty rare and are hella expensive. I would be down for tough regulations on Airbnb but it's impossible and stupid to eliminate it entirely

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This. Any time I hear about anyone talking about using one I wonder if there's a particular reason for it.
Sometimes you want to stay in a hotel, but sometimes you want to stay in a place that feels like a home with all the regular home amenities. And usually AirBNB is cheaper than a hotel. For the last two years for PAX I stayed at an AirBNB right behind the Washington State Convention Center for like $120 per night, when hotel prices in the area area tend to be $200+, with the cheaper PAX-specific rooms booked out very quickly. And this place has a nice large livingroom, full size kitchen, full size bedroom, laundry room upstairs. It's also obviously a person's home, not some rental-only property, exactly as AirBNB was designed for.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
AirBNB sucks. The concept on its own is fine, but it gets exploited to hell. Especially big cities suffer a lot with tenants getting kicked out.

Oct 25, 2017

In Tokyo, even by myself AirBnB has been way better. Cheaper, get full apartments. So much more space and amenities. Almost always have a Washing Machine to get my clothes done right there.

As a group then it becomes not even close. I had a group of 9 in Osaka where we got the top 2 apartments in an apartment building. It was fucking incredible. We had tons of room for all 9, Roof access so every night we would be chilling and drinking champagne and eating bentos, or grilling since they provided a grill and charcoal. Its absolutely the best experience I've ever had with a place I was staying, and it only cost each of us $50 a night.

Japan also has more laws in place already for this, so the chances of getting screwed are much lower. Even so when the laws were first going into place people were struggling to get things in order and they had us rebook through another site for our nights in tokyo. Ended up working out fine but it was clear they were dodging the registration laws for this listing.

Still, hopefully AirBnB works out its issues, because hotels fucking suck with their absurd cost and minimal benefits. AirBnB has made my frequent japan trips so much better by insuring that the place we are staying can actually enhance the experience instead of just being a bed.