• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
By Patrick Klepek
1579023772180-destiny-bungie.jpeg

James 'My Name is Byf' Byford is one of Destiny's foremost historians, trying to untangle a game infamous for having a story that's hard to make sense of.

In the days leading up to Destiny 2: Shadowkeep last fall, I was determined to get back into Destiny in a big way. This time, it would be different. This time, I'd finally understand the notoriously convoluted lore, the bits of inscrutable storytelling many Destiny fans swear by. Things have changed since Destiny once locked critical parts of its world building inside collectible cards, but Bungie's never provided an easy path for newcomers to catch up on the past. The answer, most told me, was to watch the intricate videos by My Name is Byf.

Around this time, My Name is Byf had released their magnum opus, a four-hour epic that promised to walk through the entire confusing story of Destiny, including events that predate the timeline of the games by theoretically millions of years. The video isn't just rambling commentary layered over footage of someone shooting up monsters in Destiny, but a moody walkthrough of Destiny's layered history, complete with original artwork bringing things to life.

It nonetheless remains incredibly hard to follow, but that probably has less to do with the work of My Name is Byf than it does with the often rickety foundation he's working with from Bungie. But I've watched a lot of lore videos, and most are nonsense. There's a reason My Name is Byf, otherwise known as James Byford, has become a household name for the most dedicated fans of Destiny. It's how one ends up affectionately called "Lore Daddy."

Byford started their channel at 16 years old, and has amassed 758,000 subscribers in the eight years since. The channel started with Byford uploading random videos from Halo and other video games, before Byf landed on something that worked: Destiny analysis. It wasn't a home run at first, with most videos amassing less than a thousand views, but Byford's audience began to skyrocket around the time of the Destiny beta and its eventual launch, when he started publishing exhaustive analysis videos and guides to the game's weapons.

The four-hour Destiny take, according to Byford, "took months" to complete, requiring a document with 28,500 words, 48 hours of voice recording, and splitting editing into 15 different sections because otherwise it'd have crashed the computers it was being made on.

Making videos like this is Byford's full-time job. It should, perhaps, not be a surprise it's possible to carve out a successful career making lore videos about a popular video game, but I also can't help but wonder more about his work. It's why I reached out to Byford, which got us talking about his process, how he's able to keep all of Destiny's lore in his head (there's a reason!), and why the complicated story of Destiny has entranced so many.

There is a lot lot more in the article and I implore people to read it. :)

(Please, I know I shouldn't have to say this but if the guy enjoys what he does, that's all that matters. No need to do the whole: "Get a real job act", your not impressing anyone)

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some day there will be historians figuring out why millions of people spent their free time wiling away at the inane Destiny grind.
The recent Corridors of Time event was fucking ridiculous.

Edit: I say that with much love and appreciation towards Bungie and their lore/atmosphere/world-building. I just wish this content would not be locked behind timed events/endless grind.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the shit out of destiny 2, and I literally didn't know any of the story. If it's that good I might try to jump back in with the new expansion

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should watch him more considering I do find Destiny's lore intriguing and I've enjoyed VaatiVidya enough with their Souls content. I think it's because Byf's video seem a bit too long for me to find the time to watch them compared to Vaati. Although that could be because Destiny has way more lore to go through whereas Souls lore has to go off of a lot of interpretations of vague descriptions. When Destiny lore is like a fucking book, it makes for a long ass video.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie is so bizarre in that one day they randomly show everyone who started up the game a fully produced CG cutscene of Uldren being revived and then not address it at all for almost a year until they add a piece of lore hidden away behind several menus in an holiday event where they talk about him hiding in a shipping container feeling left out of the festivities.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Destiny has amongst the best lore of any game this generation. There's just so much of it and it goes so deep with interesting tales you could spend a whole day just watching/reading about it. It also leans heavily in the meta-crisis territory.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: Destiny has amongst the best lore of any game this generation. There's just so much of it and it goes so deep with interesting tales you could spend a whole day just watching/reading about it. It also leans heavily in the meta-crisis territory.

I have no time to watch/read about the lore because I'm behind on the grind! (We need to talk about this)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bungie is so bizarre in that one day they randomly show everyone who started up the game a fully produced CG cutscene of Uldren being revived and then not address it at all for almost a year until they add a piece of lore hidden away behind several menus in an holiday event where they talk about him hiding in a shipping container feeling left out of the festivities.

Lol what. This dude is just being homeless in a box somewhere after all of that Forsaken shit?

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's not a hot take. This is factual. Destiny's achilles is its execution in getting the story and lore across to the user.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
He ones in a while also does raid runs with other streamers and its a "lore raid". They go through the Raid and in the meantime he is explaining stuff. Its amazing.

For example with Gigz

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least someone out there cares about it, though it's no surprise that it takes someone with a photographic memory to understand it

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I've always found it weird how the story you play ranges from pretty good to meh, while all the lore is absolutely amazing.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, Destiny doesn't really take advantage of any of the lore in the games. It's just kind of pointless dribble at the end of the day.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I should watch him more considering I do find Destiny's lore intriguing and I've enjoyed VaatiVidya enough with their Souls content. I think it's because Byf's video seem a bit too long for me to find the time to watch them compared to Vaati. Although that could be because Destiny has way more lore to go through whereas Souls lore has to go off of a lot of interpretations of vague descriptions. When Destiny lore is like a fucking book, it makes for a long ass video.

I suppose MyelinGames is more of your style for lore vids?

May 25, 2019
London
Good for him and the community, but I've been with Destiny since the beginning and I think the lore is absolute crap.

Part of this is because they started off trying to be super serious and space opera-y before having a bunch of mid-development plot changes and rewrites while still keeping some stuff for the Grimoire, but good lord. I like some of the storylines specific to certain races (the Vex, the Fallen) but I can't be bothered to care about worm gods or Crota's father's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
my favorite part about destiny lore talk is like 5 percent of people are super into it

and the other 95 percent don't even know it has any

the game itself and most of bungie also seem to be in the latter category

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good for him and the community, but I've been with Destiny since the beginning and I think the lore is absolute crap.

Part of this is because they started off trying to be super serious and space opera-y before having a bunch of mid-development plot changes and rewrites while still keeping some stuff for the Grimoire, but good lord. I like some of the storylines specific to certain races (the Vex, the Fallen) but I can't be bothered to care about worm gods or Crota's father's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Youre missing out, Crota's roommate, Jeff - is an absolute legend, went out with Crota's aunt on a dare - she tried eat him.

He came back to the dorm traumatised and then he and Crota got super high and played super mario for 7 hour straight.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite lore thing was the one about Cayde calling in a favor with Shaxx to make him coach little league.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Youre missing out, Crota's roommate, Jeff - is an absolute legend, went out with Crota's aunt on a dare - she tried eat him.

He came back to the dorm traumatised and then he and Crota got super high and played super mario for 7 hour straight.
Damn, the Guardians really are missing out.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Crota, Destroyer of Munchies