• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

I only spotted this now courtesy of IGN's Twitter, but it has a video attached and I thought it looks amazing.

GTA me if already a thread.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, that's my video!

Thanks for the share, also I highly suggest downloading this mod. It's a lot of fun exploring the map although it does make you realise how tiny the Vice City map really is.

OP
OP
ThroughtheVoid
Oct 25, 2017

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The best GTA in the best looking GTA. Quite the achievement.

I'm assuming none of the original music is in this for obvious reasons. Spotify was made for this.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer if GTA goes back to a smaller scale like 3 & VC. Add more detail and I'll be happy.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I actually prefer if GTA goes back to a smaller scale like 3 & VC. Add more detail and I'll be happy.

This.

I used to play GTA3 and Vice City by barely using the map and the navigation because the maps were small enough that you could just use your memory to navigate it. Now I can't do a mission or go somewhere in GTAV without having to use the nav and the map.

I have finished GTAV and apparently have about half of the map that has to be discovered by me and have very little interest in doing so.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they make a vice city please just make an Atlanta analogue similar to Vegas in San Andreas.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This.

I used to play GTA3 and Vice City by barely using the map and the navigation because the maps were small enough that you could just use your memory to navigate it. Now I can't do a mission or go somewhere in GTAV without having to use the nav and the map.

I actually thought about it more, And GTA4 is basically the direction I'm thinking of. SA and V are the only ones that go bigger. Stay away from California R* lol

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want R* to take GTA to another era again (to be clear: a hyper-realized version of what that era might be known for etc.), they can do whatever they want with the map and scale. I just found playing in the current time period way more boring compared to the 80s and 90s.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Been having a lot of fun messing around in it lately.

G1Xj09L.jpg

4wOSdpQ.jpg

I assume it's just the map and not the story.
Yup, along with working traffic and pedestrians. I'd highly recommend anyone give it a try as it's probably one of the least buggy conversions out there. Just to note: you'll need to lower your texture detail to prevent crashes.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yup, along with working traffic and pedestrians. I'd highly recommend anyone give it a try as it's probably one of the least buggy conversions out there. Just to note: you'll need to lower your texture detail to prevent crashes.

Oh wow, it's more built-up than I thought it would be. Street names, traffic, pedestrians, and "new" vehicles are a nice touch.
Unsure if the vehicles have been officially added to Online, and imported or made specifically for this mod.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Oh, man, I want GTA6 to be Vice City in the 80s so badly. I am an old guy, and I'm all about the 90s hip hop so you'd think I'd like San Andreas, yet Vice City was done so well it remains my favourite GTA ever.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Vice City always had a very narrow focus. It knew what it was about. San Andreas was less of a scene change but more of an entirely new game. It really REALLY expanded what a GTA game was. So the thematic changes were lost among all the gameplay changes.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Been having a lot of fun messing around in it lately.

G1Xj09L.jpg

4wOSdpQ.jpg

This is definitely the direction Rockstar needs to take the next GTA in! This looks absolutely stunning, despite it being a port that was released nearly five years ago. I would show zero reluctance to be able to experience that area again with all of the improvements that have been introduced to the series since then. Refinements such as the improved aiming system, ability to swim, just to name a couple. Also, to echo what Cake Boss was saying, Vice City was so much easier to navigate due to its smaller size. Even after you progressed far enough to unlock the entirety of the game's world, it was still manageable from memory. That aspect made it feel more like a video game, and less akin to the moderately stress-inducing real world experience of driving with the assistance of your smartphone's GPS.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Bastards... I say this now, if Rockstar just made Vice City as a DLC sandbox, not even the missions, I would purchase whatever it is added on to. That vid, plus the music? That's crack right there.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the new GTA was Vice. I've read rumblings that some south american places are being talked about. Would fit in with the Vice them as Tony Montana paid a visit to Bolivia etc.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
As much as if love GTA 6 to be set in Vice City, I'd prefer even more for them to make a location outside the US.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's something that could convince me to get GTA V. Vice City is my favorite game in the series.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain you can still download that map and get it into GTA V, I've seen quite a few videos released not too long ago of people doing that.
Liberty Rewind is the best one currently available. Last time I tried it out it was pretty unstable and buggy but there was still fun to be had. The original project was being worked on by OpenIV's team and was looking to be the most polished port ever, but yeah Take-Two shut their shit down unfortunately.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Liberty Rewind is the best one currently available. Last time I tried it out it was pretty unstable and buggy but there was still fun to be had. The original project was being worked on by OpenIV's team and was looking to be the most polished port ever, but yeah Take-Two shut their shit down unfortunately.
Sad times.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how clearer graphics, longer draw distance, graphical fidelity, etc., makes these PS2-era worlds seem so much smaller. Playing Vice City at the time, the island wasn't huge but it was good sized, maybe smaller than GTAIII but because of the street layout it often felt larger due to the bottlenecks of the new bridges... But when you play it on a map that doesn't load in the middle, and you have modern drawdistances and environmental affects, it makes it all feel so much smaller.

This video was pretty good: