• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Between his two gun stores, JR Cox estimates he's losing about half a million dollars in sales due to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's firearms ban.

"It's attacked so many facets of my business," said Cox, who runs two retail stores with shooting ranges—Target Sports Canada and The Shooting Edge—in Toronto and Calgary, respectively.

Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announced the ban on 1,500 "assault-style weapons" including the controversial but popular AR-15 rifle about two weeks ago, not long after the Nova Scotia mass shooting that left 22 people dead. The shooter was not a legal firearms owner and procured most of his weapons from the U.S., according to the RCMP.

The Liberals introduced the ban through an order-in-council, a regulatory mechanism they used to reclassify swaths of firearms as "prohibited." They did not table legislation to push through the changes.

Trudeau said the banned guns are used "for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time."

While the government said it will introduce a buy-back program for the newly banned guns, it has yet to provide any details about that.

For now, firearms dealers are sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars in guns and related accessories that are effectively useless to them.

Cox has hired Calgary-based criminal lawyer Greg Dunn, who is also a firearms owner, to launch a legal challenge against the government in an attempt to fight the ban.

Dunn said the challenge will focus on the use of an order-in-council to implement the ban, which he alleges is an abuse of power.

"The process is unfair and it affects people's livelihoods," he said, noting that Cox is "a guy that invested heavily in semi-automatic sporting and hunting rifles. All of a sudden, without any warning, all of those are unsaleable."

Dunn hasn't finalized the exact nature of his challenge, but said it will be "a tough set of arguments" to raise.

But some advocates of the ban are calling for even stronger gun control.

On Thursday, Poly Remembers, a group of students and grads of École Polytechnique, where a gunman killed 14 women in 1989, published an open letter to Blair calling for additional gun control measures.

The group is calling for the government to implement a mandatory buy-back program for all the banned guns; the Liberals stated current owners would be able to keep their banned guns through a grandfathering system, but not use them.

Poly Remembers also wants the ban to include other firearms and modifiable magazines and is recommending the government stop importing handguns.

Several gun owners who spoke to VICE said they're focusing their attention on getting the Conservatives elected as a way of reversing the ban. Some gun retailers are also promoting Conservative party memberships on their websites.

"It's the only way," said Cox.

LOL Lobbying gun owners to vote conservative when 4 out of 5 Canadians want the ban. Let them cry

www.vice.com

Trudeau’s Assault-Rifle Ban Could Cost Gun Sellers Hundreds of Millions

Firearms retailers says the ban will decimate their industry and are lobbying gun owners to vote Conservative in the next election.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Lol good. Couldn't care less about gun owners being upset and nobody's going to vote conservative like they're wanting.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
NRA in the US was so fucking shook when Punished Trudeau announced this. Because of how close to the US this is. And would be a huge example of how to rightfully destroy their influence on their own citizens, by showing how northern neighbours can do it.

Imagine the absolute state of their pants and the contents that were dropped within.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
200.gif

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that you're losing business, but people are dying, so then shut down and work in a new business. Like weed.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
NRA in the US was so fucking shook when Punished Trudeau announced this. Because of how close to the US this is. And would be a huge example of how to rightfully destroy their influence on their own citizens, by showing how northern neighbours can do it.

Imagine the absolute state of their pants and the contents that were dropped within.
Any articles full of NRA tears?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
does anyone ever self reflect on the concept of losing millions of dollars because you cant sell guns designed to kill people

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry that you're losing business, but people are dying, so then shut down and work in a new business. Like weed.
That's a bit unfair, and I say that as someone that mostly supports strong gun control. People have invested their whole lives and their entire livelihood is based on this industry. It's not that easy to just... switch, especially when you have hundreds of thousands of inventory that is no longer sellable. The govt should do something for gun retailers, absolutely. We can argue morality of the business of selling firearms, but it's something that was acceptable for decades, before the rise of mass shootings and this level of armed terrorism/"patriotism"/right wing mania. I don't think retailers should be left twisting in the wind, something should be done for them to help them pivot or survive.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Damn, they're gonna have to find some other way to profit off death I guess. Maybe try selling cigarettes? What a shame.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Oh well.

People will still spend their money somewhere, maybe we'll just have to... I don't know, like, grow and evolve beyond the manufacture and sale of weapons of war?

That's a bit unfair, and I say that as someone that mostly supports strong gun control. People have invested their whole lives and their entire livelihood is based on this industry. It's not that easy to just... switch, especially when you have hundreds of thousands of inventory that is no longer sellable. The govt should do something for gun retailers, absolutely.
Imagine how hard it is for the victims to just switch. You know, sometimes shit just happens, people need the capacity to grow and overcome adversity, not stay in the dark ages because it inconveniences their current positions.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Asbestos siding and lead paint companies and Cigarette companies went out of business or adapted.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The long range shooting competitions are done."
Cox said many of the members of his shooting ranges store their now-banned firearms at the range, but under the order-in-council they're no longer able to do that; people who can't store guns at home may be left with no choice but to turn them in for destruction, he said.

In response to the argument that sport shooters should just find another hobby, he said "just because people don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong. It's tyranny by the majority."

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bit unfair, and I say that as someone that mostly supports strong gun control. People have invested their whole lives and their entire livelihood is based on this industry. It's not that easy to just... switch, especially when you have hundreds of thousands of inventory that is no longer sellable. The govt should do something for gun retailers, absolutely. We can argue morality of the business of selling firearms, but it's something that was acceptable for decades, before the rise of mass shootings and this level of armed terrorism/"patriotism"/right wing mania. I don't think retailers should be left twisting in the wind, something should be done for them to help them pivot or survive.

oh the government should buy back guns, but society should transition out of gun economies, like we transitioned out of coal and whaling. In the short term it hurt some people, and the government should help those people, but ultimately, if you're running a multi-million dollar business like the owner in the OP, you're talented enough to do business with a different trade instead.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh well.

People will still spend their money somewhere, maybe we'll just have to... I don't know, like, grow and evolve beyond the manufacture and sale of weapons of war?

Imagine how hard it is for the victims to just switch. You know, sometimes shit just happens, people need the capacity to grow and overcome adversity, not stay in the dark ages because it inconveniences their current positions.

Sorry, are you saying the victims of gun violence should just switch or that gun retailers should just switch? You phrased this in a weird way.

I mean, Asbestos siding and lead paint companies and Cigarette companies went out of business or adapted.

Yeah, fair enough, but cigarette companies are still trucking along just fine (mostly), while safer alternatives became available to asbestos and lead paint products that didn't require the business itself and it's sales channel to shift.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Any articles full of NRA tears?

Just go on twitter(don't even need an account) and search Canada Ban. Or Canada NRA.

It's full of extremely shook and decimated individuals. Gloriously hilarious reads. The fact that the NRA went out of their way to make a tweet about it, is extremely telling(and what is great is that it seemed to energize the Pro-Gun Ban American brothers and sisters, to show their support for a ban as well. A lot of Canadian citizens basically told the NRA to fuck off in a polite way too).

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

I like this proposal and I support it. Sell weed instead. Or literally anything else.

People who sell AR-15s know they are on the raggedy edge of what decent society is willing to tolerate and they deserve whatever losses come to them. Fuck assault weapons. Hunting and sporting my ass.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

lol, bizarre. You can still do long range shooting competitions with bolt action or hunting rifles, no? Tons of rifles aren't banned.

oh the government should buy back guns, but society should transition out of gun economies, like we transitioned out of coal and whaling. In the short term it hurt some people, and the government should help those people, but ultimately, if you're running a multi-million dollar business like the owner in the OP, you're talented enough to do business with a different trade instead.

That's a fair position to take, I'm just saying the government shouldn't just demolish the industry and it's workers/company owners overnight, but help them transition/pivot/consolidate into new/related fields.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Cox has hired Calgary-based criminal lawyer Greg Dunn, who is also a firearms owner, to launch a legal challenge against the government in an attempt to fight the ban.

Dunn said the challenge will focus on the use of an order-in-council to implement the ban, which he alleges is an abuse of power.

"The process is unfair and it affects people's livelihoods," he said, noting that Cox is "a guy that invested heavily in semi-automatic sporting and hunting rifles. All of a sudden, without any warning, all of those are unsaleable."

Dunn hasn't finalized the exact nature of his challenge, but said it will be "a tough set of arguments" to raise.

Hehe lawyer is gonna make some money on a pointless legal challenge.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes! They could re-purpose all guns into a brand new product, Extreme Pez™. Load the pez mag, cock it, and then fire those delicious pez into your mouth in fully automatic or semi automatic modes.

You can have that one for free, NRA.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, are you saying the victims of gun violence should just switch or that gun retailers should just switch? You phrased this in a weird way.

Yeah, fair enough, but cigarette companies are still trucking along just fine (mostly), while safer alternatives became available to asbestos and lead paint products that didn't require the business itself and it's sales channel to shift.

They've shrunk significantly - and worse - tried to export to new emerging markets with less regulation - but they've also adapted business and some are growing other crops.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That's a bit unfair, and I say that as someone that mostly supports strong gun control. People have invested their whole lives and their entire livelihood is based on this industry. It's not that easy to just... switch, especially when you have hundreds of thousands of inventory that is no longer sellable. The govt should do something for gun retailers, absolutely.
Imagine how hard it is for the victims to just switch.

I'm saying manufacturers and businesses have the capacity to switch paths and eventually recover. Victims of gun violence are going to have a much harder time overcoming a society willing to move forward, seeing as how many of them had to die for anybody to do anything.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
seriously, thankfully the NRA nutter types are a minority here. Guns won't be missed here. Even for hunting, just let go at it with a bow and arrow or something. Give the animals a fair chance lol.

Exactly fam.

And man, when you consider it, this futile effort by them is exactly the type of "watching a train crash about to occur, but being able to do nothing about it" situation that you would actually want.

does anyone ever self reflect on the concept of losing millions of dollars because you cant sell guns designed to kill people

Yeah, it's crazy that they can't see how many lives will now not be potentially lost by stopping the usage of fucking weapons designed to end lives.

If they want to sport shoot, get a gaming PC or VR headset, and play an FPS.