• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sen. Chris Dodd was well known as Sen. Ted Kennedy's wingman during the 1980s. The Almanac of American Politics described his "reputation as a party boy and a partner-in-nightlife-crime" of the former senator.

www.vice.com

Biden Just Picked a Guy With #MeToo Issues of His Own For a Key Campaign Slot

Sen. Chris Dodd was well known as Sen. Ted Kennedy’s wingman during the 1980s. The Almanac of American Politics described his “reputation as a party boy and a partner-in-nightlife-crime” of the former senator.

Looks like one of his delegates has issues of his own. Never thought I'd see a political version of the "vagina bones" tweet.

Look at all that electoral anxiety.

If not supporting the rapist child groper himself is characterized as just sore losing disgruntled leftists, then only Russian assets would demonize these normal seeming democratic men. You don't want to elect Trump by being critical of the party, do you? How is that politically pragmatic when the stakes are so high? Republicans must love all this free oppo, right?

That script is much less transfixing when applied to his inner circle but it will have to be because the party is going all in on throwing values overboard for the Greater Good™.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
I never claimed it doesn't matter. I think it matters. And I'm understanding. I'm just not discussing my understanding with you.

What I am discussing with you was the poster's claim that the 2016 election demonstrated that the electorate prioritized punishing sexual assault, which it doesn't, because voters knowingly elected a rapist that year. If you have better data about why sexual assault elevations will have a bigger electoral impact this year, feel free to share.
Lol cooldblooded

You're trying to swing "data" as the convincing point of viability in a discussion on people of power having sexually assaulted someone...

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that this is an ultra important position. But why is it so hard for Biden to be better?

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, even if Biden is trash, you're also voting for all of the fine democrats he'll put in key positions.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
"You're all in a bubble!"

- Some absolute fucking genius who can see through the Matrix
I don't think it's crazy to call Era a bubble. I was around the old place in 2016 when most were saying a Trump victory was impossible and look how that turned out. I now treat most politics threads around here with a healthy dose of cynicism. The views in here, no matter how valid they might be, don't always represent the views of the wider public.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck this.

When we get Biden in the White House, then we can rally for better candidates to take over the next 4 years.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol cooldblooded

You're trying to swing "data" as the convincing point of viability in a discussion on people of power having sexually assaulted someone...
I am making no claim at all about whether Biden is "viable," whatever you mean by that. I was responding to the poster who claimed the election of Trump in 2016 showed that voters punish sexual assault, which it doesn't. 2016 if anything has a discouraging message, because a rapist with IIRC allegations of assault from 23 different women was elected. If you have something quantitative or measurable regarding the impact of sexual assault allegations on this election, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this.

When we get Biden in the White House, then we can rally for better candidates to take over the next 4 years.
Not if the mentality is "getting a Democratic in power is always more important than progressive goals."

Vote for him if you want, but people should not let any of this go unpunished, especially if they consider themselves progressive leftists and/or say they believe women.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It is ironic that while Biden has promised to nominate a woman as his VP, the gatekeeper is going to be the literal archetype of the old white guy who was born into power and success. A 75 year old prep school graduate and lawyer who has spent his entire life as first a politician and then a lobbyist.

There is also an account of Carrie Fischer (Princess Leia) writing in one of her memoirs that she went on a group date with Dodd during which Ted Kennedy asked Carie whether she would have sex with Dodd in a hot tub while Dodd "observed with an unusual grin hanging on his very flushed face". So yeah, great job Biden campaign.

from 2011
abcnews.go.com

Carrie Fisher's Top 3 Crazy Tales: Senators, Prostitutes and Michael Jackson

Carrie Fisher's 'Shockaholic' tells of drunken senators, prostitutes, and Michael Jackson's accuser.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
I am making no claim at all about whether Biden is "viable," whatever you mean by that. I was responding to the poster who claimed the election of Trump in 2016 showed that voters punish sexual assault, which it doesn't. 2016 if anything has a discouraging message, because a rapist with IIRC allegations of assault from 23 different women was elected. If you have something quantitative or measurable regarding the impact of sexual assault allegations on this election, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm just tired of data being used to excuse or contextualize stuff like this in the bigger picture, but maybe that's the fault of politics in general.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Biden's senior campaign advisor is Anita Dunn, who ran PR for Harvey Weinstein when he was accused, for free.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Biden's senior campaign advisor is Anita Dunn, who ran PR for Harvey Weinstein when he was accused, for free.

"You should accept your fate graciously, and not seek to deny or discredit those who your behaviour has affected." is the advice Dunn sent.

She didn't "'run PR' for him".

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Vote for him if you want, but people should not let any of this go unpunished, especially if they consider themselves progressive leftists and/or say they believe women.
Damn straight. We need him to undo Trump's reign and bring back at least a little stability. Afterwards, we give him hell and a better candidate like Bernie in the White House.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you're seeing, if anything the side that is admonishing the DNC's choices right now aren't the ones trying to repeat 2016.

Really??? Could've sworn that people on here are actively trying to denigrate the apparent nominee that won the most pledged delegates through a democratic system of selecting a nominee. I know someone else (if not you) will bring up that the convention hasn't happened yet, so Biden should step down and allow someone else to be selected in his place. In my (logical) opinion, it's morally imperative that Trump be defeated, and this move would be anathema to that goal.

It's adds unnecessary risk to achieving that goal by telling people that all the primary votes for Biden up to now didn't matter, but still go along with the person that a select few will choose in a convention hall. That is the only realistic alternative to what we have now.

The only one.

Even if they selected Warren (my preferred candidate), I know that it will be an uphill battle to get voters enthusiastic about voting for her in November. Not for us in this thread that understands the importance of being rid of Trump, but for John and Jane Q. Voter that feel like their votes won't matter.

"No big deal"? How many accused sexual assaulters have you employed?

Also please don't compare sexual assault to "eating crackers".

I don't like to put my private business out in a public forum, but I will just this once. I was abused as a child. I'm married with a child of my own, but I still have difficulties being intimate with my wife at times. I know what it feels like to be in a powerless position and have to be around someone abusive and more powerful than you and have to pretend that everything's okay.

In the context of THIS scenario and THIS election, this is no big deal. That's not saying that this would never be a problem in any other circumstance, however.

No. And Clinton is rightfully hated, don't come with shit.

Please, explain why she is "rightfully hated". For losing an election? For staying married to a cheater? For allowing his behavior? Or is it just for her voting record while in the senate? Or for what she did as Secretary of State?

Look, I want our politics to be clean and pure. But TODAY, our politics are downright dirty and vile. All we can do is vote for and support people who are willing to change that system. Even though Bernie lost twice now, his policy and ideas have become a major part at the Democrat Party platform. That's a win for the movement, and a necessary step in reaching the ultimate goal of constantly reminding those that we elect that they work for us and not for big corporations and billionaires.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
About 99 percent of politicians above a certain age are gonna be a liability with #MeToo issues.

Which is part of why the candidate should have been Bernie, but the electorate was more focused on electability.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn straight. We need him to undo Trump's reign and bring back at least a little stability. Afterwards, we give him hell and a better candidate like Bernie in the White House.
But I also want to be clear on something because I think this should never go unsaid: I'm Brazilian, I don't participate in your elections, I obviously hate the orange guy and want him out (just look at what he does to Latine immigrants to begin with), but I'm not going to shame anyone who can't vote for Biden due to his sexual assault and other very problematic behaviors. This is why I said "vote for him if you want," but I won't ask victims, women, non-binary people, and other minorities to ignore their own traumas.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

No one will give him hell. To vote him in office is to approve of him. How the hell will go "give him hell"? Go on ERA and ask for Biden to resign? Do you honestly think the DNC will let Biden go because some voters are now suddenly uncomfortable with having him in office?

It will always be the same shtick. Oh vote Biden now, because if we don't vote for him we get Trump! We can't replace him because then Trump will win! Oh it's 2024, I hope no one challenges Biden because then the Republicans will win! How will this look if we challenge Biden? We need to vote Biden to KEEP the Republicans from getting in office again! It's for SURVIVAL!

If Biden wins, Biden will also be the nominee in 2024.

Note that I perfectly understand the appeal of voting for him over Trump. I'm NOT saying he's as bad as Trump or worse than him. But please don't delude yourself. You're still voting for an alleged rapist, and he won't suddenly go away because you feel bad about it.

EDIT: Removed out of place passive aggressive remark at the start after re-reading and seeing it quoted

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You're cute. No one will give him hell. To vote him in office is to approve of him. How the hell will go "give him hell"? Go on ERA and ask for Biden to resign? Do you honestly think the DNC will let Biden go because some voters are now suddenly uncomfortable with having him in office?

It will always be the same shtick. Oh vote Biden now, because if we don't vote for him we get Trump! We can't replace him because then Trump will win! Oh it's 2024, I hope no one challenges Biden because then the Republicans will win! How will this look if we challenge Biden? We need to vote Biden to KEEP the Republicans from getting in office again! It's for SURVIVAL!

If Biden wins, Biden will also be the nominee in 2024.

Note that I perfectly understand the appeal of voting for him over Trump. I'm NOT saying he's as bad as Trump or worse than him. But please don't delude yourself. You're still voting for an alleged rapist, and he won't suddenly go away because you feel bad about it.
Seriously. Democrats are not going to go hard on him once he's elected. Its all wishful thinking.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not if the mentality is "getting a Democratic in power is always more important than progressive goals."

A Democrat in power this election is more important than progressive goals.this voting cycle. You run a progressive when the right don't got shit going for them and you can put a foot on their neck. You don't run them when even with Biden it will be a tight race. You put a progressive against Trump and we might as well not even bother holding the elections. No one wants to see a redder than usual map.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Democrat in power this election is more important than progressive goals.this voting cycle. You run a progressive when the right don't got shit going for them and you can put a foot on their neck. You don't run them when even with Biden it will be a tight race. You put a progressive against Trump and we might as well not even bother holding the elections. No one wants to see a redder than usual map.
Hey quick question, could you tell me one election when the democrats should have run a progressive under these conditions?

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this.

The entire point of Biden is because people want to return to an era where the president wasn't aggressively promoting how horrible he is, so they don't have to pay attention to things like sexual harassment, or deportations, or drone strikes.

Liberals don't aspire for better. Joe Biden isn't the means to an end, he's just the end.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I'm really shocked that Dodd escaped #metoo unscathed since there are more stories that never surfaced. I'm surprised this wasn't a thing when he was stumping for Biden in Iowa.

Also worth noting Orrin Hatch was Dodd and Kennedy's sober DC bar scene wingman who laughed at their antics.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Banned (3 days): thread derail
I meant the symbol that represents proletarian solidarity. Let's not get off topic.
Please don't derail a sexual assault thread over an avatar. I've stated what it represents to me. Feel free to talk about it in your own thread but don't do it here.

Using the exact imagery from the Soviet flag means you accept what it represents, including Stalinism. You don't get to redefine it at random.

What you're doing here is no different than displaying the Confederate battle flag and insisting that it just represents "Southern Pride" to you and that those who mention racism are off topic.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else type Chris Dodd in Google and see what the first recommended search is?

Using the exact imagery from the Soviet flag means you accept what it represents, including Stalinism. You don't get to redefine it at random.

What you're doing here is no different than displaying the Confederate battle flag and insisting that it just represents "Southern Pride" to you and that those who mention racism are off topic.
The sickle and hammer predates Stalin. It's even used by some anarchist groups, who are a far, far cry from Stalinists.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The entire point of Biden is because people want to return to an era where the president wasn't aggressively promoting how horrible he is, so they don't have to pay attention to things like sexual harassment, or deportations, or drone strikes.

Liberals don't aspire for better. Joe Biden isn't the means to an end, he's just the end.

This. The electorate doesn't want genuine decency, it just wants "civility." All the horrible things we ignored can be safely ignored again just as soon as we get a president who puts on an empathetic mask.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this.

Likely not, because Biden winning also rewards the Democratic Party for putting a racist rapist on the helm which can be taken as a green light for putting another horrible human being the next time too

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why is there this delusion that, by electing Biden and giving him more power, we are somehow in a better position to pressure him? Or that Democrats in Washington won't do everything in their power to protect and run interference for a future President Biden? This is some galaxy brained thinking that you'd expect from idiots from the right. It is really sad seeing people on the left--who should know better--peddle this same delusion. Is it just one big coping mechanism to make yourself feel less guilty about voting for a creepy, sex pest into the WH?

People need to comes to terms with the fact that, if Biden wins in November, he will never face any consequences for all the creepy shit he's done. If you're voting for him, accept that that will happen if he wins, and stop peddling delusions to make yourself feel better.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hammer represents the factory workers, sickle represents the farmers.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Joe Biden and fuck the Democratic Party, they're a bunch of complicit incompetent centrist morons who hold nothing but absolute contempt for anyone that isn't one of their corporate donors. Continuing to prop up a rapist because the idea of poor people having healthcare is too outlandish to them is pure evil.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least some actions have consequences in this hell year

If this means the guy will definitely lose his post, then good.

It's a symbol with a history span far greater than Stalin or the USSR and has been in use by several other nations and many other communist groups and formal parties around the world to this day. Your comparison is absurdly reductive and by this measure we can surely ban the ol' star spangled banner right this minute. Now quit trying to start a derail or start a new thread if you really want to drag this out

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the 2016 election is not evidence that it matters electorally, at least. Not sure why that poster thought Trump's election was evidence that punishing sexual assault is a priority for voters. Maybe you can explain how it was.
People may not want to hear this but I truly believe there is me too fatigue happening. It seems like everytime a politician is heading for an election a sexual assault allegation is made public. I've even heard it from my own parents. Its fucked up.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Likely not, because Biden winning also rewards the Democratic Party for putting a racist rapist on the helm which can be taken as a green light for putting another horrible human being the next time too
Not if you put forth better damn canidates
Or maybe take a break from men who can't keep their hands to themselves or their dicks in their pants

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but I disagree. There will always be excuses to not vote for someone who is progressive. And yet all of them come down to not be willing to vote for them. Everyone who isn't voting for the orange dude wants him out, but that doesn't mean they have to vote for another predator. Voting here in Brazil is mandatory, and that helped put Bolsonaro in power because everyone excused his behavior. Folks downplaying Biden's behavior when he's done exactly what we condemn only means they're willing to forgive and forget as long as it's a Democrat. There were multiple stories on him before the primaries and he still got chosen. And the tolerance continues to this day.

Biden should be judged just like Weinstein was. I won't convince anyone to do anything with their vote, but it's disgusting to see anyone actually defending him or downplaying his behavior. There should be more focus on getting to the bottom of this, not elections that are six months away.