• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-humongous-entertainment-made-edutainment-fun

But when we look back at these artifacts of our childhood, we usually forget what I'll lovingly call "the grind," which—unlike recreational games that involve endless foraging, crafting, and killing—asked young players to repeatedly solve math, logic, or word problems in activity gated environments. As much as I loved, and continue to love, these classics, there was never a question in my mind as to intent. Most of them were obviously education over entertainment.

Humongous Entertainment created a major wrinkle in that formula. The company, founded in 1992 by Ron Gilbert and Shelley Day, offered something different—a series of kid's games that were based around narrative, character, and world-building rather than lesson gated modules. The two had come from LucasArts—Day worked as a games producer and Gilbert worked as a programmer and game designer—and specialized in creating adventure games aimed at adults. After seeing how much kids enjoyed playing adventure games, they decided to apply the same principles to games aimed at younger players.

"We watched a six year old play Monkey Island and realized how much fun he was having," Gilbert told me over the phone. "He couldn't read any of the dialogue but was having fun poking around, opening and closing doors, randomly solving puzzles. But there were no adventure games for kids."

While Humongous made some activity based titles aimed at very young kids, the company's most memorable games were built around lovable characters in the "Junior Adventure" series: Putt-Putt, a purple convertible with a puppy sidekick; Pajama Sam, a boy who wasn't afraid of the dark (created by Gilbert himself); Freddi, an inquisitive, problem-solving fish; and Spy Fox, a secret agent fox-man. "Each game set had slightly different goals and age group," Tami Borowick, game designer at Humongous from 1992-2000 and fellow programmer on Monkey Island, told me over the phone. "Putt Putt was 3-4, Pajama Sam was 4-6, Freddi was 6-8, and then came Spy Fox."

Humongous' initial goal wasn't to make edutainment games at all, but to bring their children's stories to life—Day invented Putt-Putt herself, as a bedtime story for her son. "It was always about telling a really good story for the kids, not teaching them arithmetic or teaching them to read," Gilbert said. "Naming ourselves Humongous Entertainment was a very conscious choice. We very actively did not want to be thought of as an edutainment company, we wanted to be thought of as a kid's entertainment company."

I never realised Ron Gilbert was a part of Putt Putt. I'm all about saving that zoo.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Putt Putt, Freddi Fish, and Pajama Sam were always my jam. Loved the Master of Mischief games from TLC as well.

Was surprised to learn recently that Jeremy Soule worked on a handful of HE games. Wish I knew which tracks were his specifically as some of those still pop into my head

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
EDIT: Whoops, seems like someone else beat me to the post. Would like to get a mod to lock this thread.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-humongous-entertainment-made-edutainment-fun

Humongous Entertainment created a major wrinkle in that formula. The company, founded in 1992 by Ron Gilbert and Shelley Day, offered something different—a series of kid's games that were based around narrative, character, and world-building rather than lesson gated modules. The two had come from LucasArts—Day worked as a games producer and Gilbert worked as a programmer and game designer—and specialized in creating adventure games aimed at adults. After seeing how much kids enjoyed playing adventure games, they decided to apply the same principles to games aimed at younger players.

Humongous' initial goal wasn't to make edutainment games at all, but to bring their children's stories to life—Day invented Putt-Putt herself, as a bedtime story for her son. "It was always about telling a really good story for the kids, not teaching them arithmetic or teaching them to read," Gilbert said. "Naming ourselves Humongous Entertainment was a very conscious choice. We very actively did not want to be thought of as an edutainment company, we wanted to be thought of as a kid's entertainment company."

Anyone else have fond memories of these games growing up?

I used to derive tons of fun just from solving puzzles with Freddi Fish and being able to repaint Putt-Putt. It's a bit of a bummer that the article didn't mention their most memorable game (in my mind), Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, but it's nice to see the rest of their catalogue return to the spotlight.

Oct 29, 2017
JUST finished reading this.

Grew up with these games, and still play one every month or so (they're only like 45 minutes long). Humongous, and Earthbound are the things I point to when asked why I want to make games.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Was surprised to learn recently that Jeremy Soule worked on a handful of HE games. Wish I knew which tracks were his specifically as some of those still pop into my head

Never knew about that either, probably because I don't really remember the music that well from the games he worked on.

Someone else composed the music for Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, and listening to it was a huge shot of nostalgia for me.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah man this brings back memories. Ron Gilbert being associated with Putt Putt is interesting.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play the Putt Putt games ALL THE TIME as a kid. We had Putt-Putt's Fun Pack, as well as two of the others (Saves the Zoo I believe?)

I can't believe Ron Gilbert of all people worked on them. Crazy.