• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you care about how the PS5 will look in your home/setup?

• I care and I don't think it will look good.

Votes: 688 27.1%
  • I care and I think it will look good

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • I don't care but I don't think it will look good.

Votes: 563 22.2%
  • I don't care but I think it will look good.

Votes: 513 20.2%
  • I don't care at all

Votes: 478 18.8%

• Total voters

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I was on Patricks side until the "Costco branded whiskey" then he lost me.

Yeah, I recoiled from that. Even so, it fits him and I can understand it. "It does the job" clearly means something different for him then me since I'm not going to the scotch to just get hammered. The thing I'm often surprised about with Patrick's takes is something Rob mentioned. How reductive and obtuse he can be in relation to other people's point of view on points of view he doesn't share.

For the looks, I think it's(ps5) ugly and big and wish it was less ugly and less big. Best looking console for next gen atm is the Series S, if it would come in a single color. It's also the one I'm least likely to buy.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's a device with a practical function, not a piece of furniture. It's also black and white so its colors aren't even clashing with everything else.
I couldn't care less about how it looks in my living room. I will buy it to play games.
When most electronics are black, and most furniture is gonna be black or wood, white def does clash.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing that the duelling positions are "it's hideous vs I don't mind that it's hideous," and not a position that it actually looks good.

I think it looks ugly as sin, and I think I prefer that to another generic indistinct box.
The PS4 era designs were simple, clean, yet instantly recognizable as Sony devices, PlayStations. Not indistinct at all, just not eye-catching strangeness.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for "I don't care at all".

Since even though I think it looks good, although I'd prefer if the middle glossy black piece was matte black instead, I had big consoles before.

The OG Xbox, the Phat PS3... I mean this is bigger I guess but I am used to big consoles and can adjust to such. I prefer the reasoning behind it more then the actual design of the unit which eventually I won't even look at a couple of months in.

What will forever still be warranted is the fan noise, the loading speed, etc... and I believe this thing will indeed be silent.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Mine goes behind the TV, so I don't even see much of it.

I can understand people being upset if it is basically placed in the front and center of the entertainment unit.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
The opposite is also true: when I'm in a space that reflects back to me the things I love, the values and aesthetics that bring me joy, the planning and thoughtfulness behind them, then I'm closer to my best self. My thoughts don't churn, they flow. I'm not surrounded by frustrations, but by possibility. This isn't about good taste or bad: I would wager if you fed an AI a late 2000s Kenneth Cole collection and the first three seasons of Mad Men, it would be able to predict my preferences almost exactly. Or procedurally generate an entire season of Suits. The point is, the fact of liking or disliking an aspect of my experience isn't just an isolated feeling. It alters the experience itself.

save me...

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
Its ugly as all hell.
Luckily by the time it gets games worthwhile to buy it, the slim redesign will be out.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ugly as sin and I care but it's not stopping me from a purchase. Partner who doesn't play games much cares more but can tuck it behind the left side of the stand to hide it a little. Series X wil go on the right hand side and while bulky, is at least a little more nuetral in terms of looks. The Series S was definitely the more attractive of the white consoles and looks quite nice in general imo.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with Patrick Klepek on this one. I'm going to be putting it on my shelf and that's that. How it looks isn't really important to me, as long as I have room for it. I think people's extreme aversion to the PS5 design is silly tbh.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I like the way it looks mostly. It's just big. I'm not a form guy, generally, either (though I won't say I'm as rigidly function over form as Patrick seems to be).

But, I do think Rob makes a compelling, if abstract, point. We don't care what our setups look like, but that's not to say they don't affect us. If people legitimately don't like the design, especially in a piece of art (I guess) that is meant to stand out, then no one should be chastising people for caring. In that context, the comments like "you're not gonna be looking at it anyway, get over it" are condescending and weird.

THAT SAID, not a lot of those comments and I generally don't expect PS5 to ruin people's vibes. We'll all train ourselves to be fine with it, just like people trained themselves to be fine with fan noise and whatnot.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I'm quite fond of how the PlayStation 5 looks, but I don't really care. It's nice it's not just a black or grey rectangle.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I can get being bothered by the physical size of the console but being bothered by a console's aesthetics are something I simply can't relate to. Which isn't even to say that there aren't consoles I find ugly or that I don't care about aesthetics in my house but I just have never been so bothered by the look of something like a console that I'd feel embarrassed about it.

Obviously there are many reasons people care about aesthetics in their house and it's a legitimate thing to care about but I'd be lying if some of the comments I've seen and heard across the internet about the disdain people have for the aesthetics of the PS5 sitting on (or soon to be sitting on) their TV stands didn't come off weird sounding. I just can't relate.

If you hate the aesthetics of the PS5 you can take solace in two things:
1. The removable side panels are core to the aesthetics of the console so custom side panels that are bound to be made will truly be transformative to the look of the console.
2. The inevitable PS5 slim and Pro consoles may refresh the look of the console so if you're the type of person to upgrade to those types of consoles then you probably won't be stuck with the base PS5 for the entire generation.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It fitting in my shelf is what's important and don't think this does. This is the most relevant aspect for me. If I need to access it to load discs or use then USB, I don't want it tucked away inconveniently. This (and the library thus far) is what factors into my purchase decision and why I might be (am probably) waiting for a slim version. Also hoping a slim has more storage space. Price isn't a concern.

Far below all of that is where I rank looks. For any console. I guess it's just additional salt in the wound that's it's ugly. And I do think it's really ugly. But that's not what's stopping me from picking one up at all.

Oct 28, 2017
This. Imagine wanting to play Demon's Souls but thinking "fuck this console is too big, not buying."

Like what the fuck.

That's me. I would have bought one early next year but for the design. Now I will wait for a mid-gen refresh that doesn't look like a children's toy. Because as much as you wish it weren't true, the opinions of friends on how my home looks does matter and that thing is just hideous and childish.

I don't like the SXS either, but I can hide it in a cabinet that the PS5 wouldn't fit in.

That said, I'm not one to need to play the latest games. I'm happy to wait to play.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
I think it will look hideous in my setup as it needs to be in horizontal position.

IMG-20201101-164325.jpg

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This thing is an abomination, it's going to get us at night and you all know it.
tenor.gif

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
The system is probably the biggest console ever released with a very odd design. I'm more concerned it won't fit anywhere, and even if it does, it will still clash.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 with those white wing flaps is ugly as sin. And I find it hard to believe that anyone actually thinks it looks good.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't love how it looks, but...it's a device to play games. As long as it does that task, we're all good.

I've seen a ton of people (here and elsewhere) imply they don't like the PS5 design simply because it's so obviously a games console. And that is baffling to me. Why does it matter if people see that you own a console? Almost everyone under 40 plays games these days. I can't relate to that insecurity at all.

Feb 6, 2019
I've seen a ton of people (here and elsewhere) imply they don't like the PS5 design simply because it's so obviously a games console.

Personally it's the least game-console looking console i've ever seen. I see people mostly complaining that it isn't a traditional generic game console shape. People also whined about PS3 not being a traditional console shape. I guess people have an affinity for flat-top systems.

If you put it on a shelf on display I could easily see somebody unfamiliar with gaming mistaking it for some kind of weird, cliche, modern-art minimalistic sculpture from ikea or Target or Pier 1 or something.

Last edited:

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
LOL it's a sad (read:hilarious) day when someone seriously won't buy a game console they want because RANDOM PEOPLE may think it clashes with their decor.

I think I've read it all.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Weird because it's the least game-console looking console i've ever seen? If you put it on a shelf on display I could easily see somebody unfamiliar with gaming mistaking it for some kind of mildly pretentious generic modern-art sculpture from ikea or Target which is probably what they were going for with the design - sculptural
True. Maybe it's more that it's eye-catching enough to draw questions over what it is, forcing people to reveal that they own a game console.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how it will look. I care where it will fit. Slim Playstation consoles are always more convenient, except the PS3 Slim which was so NOT slim that they made a PS3 Super Slim...

Feb 6, 2019
not even remotely lmao

How so? His room is modern minimalism in a matte white with black accents. The PS5 is modern minimalism in mostly matte white with black accents.

Like this on plays out if there wasn't a competitor with a more powerful box that is smaller and seems to be perfectly quiet.

While Microsofts box is shorter, it's quite a bit fatter. Sony could have made the PS5 shorter and fatter as well but they went with a longer thinner approach.

On a side note i also see a lot of people saying it's ugly because it's large. I'm sure plenty of people think it's big AND ugly, but it wouldn't look any different if it was scaled down.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about how it looks, my problem is that it's fucking enormous and I'll have to put it in my bedroom because I live with roommates and I wanna be able to play whenever I want D:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I care more about the size than the actual look, and the size tells me that it'll be a pain in the ass to fit inside my media unit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's me. I would have bought one early next year but for the design. Now I will wait for a mid-gen refresh that doesn't look like a children's toy. Because as much as you wish it weren't true, the opinions of friends on how my home looks does matter and that thing is just hideous and childish.
I honestly don't mean this as an attack on you but to me, worrying so much about how a console looks because your friends might not like how it looks in your home is the childish thing here.

It's one piece of electronic equipment that is hooked up your TV. It's there to play games/media and is something you don't even have to look at to use.

Worrying about how your friends might react to it is the sort of thing kids and teenagers do.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I'd like it to be pleasing to look at, but it's not a deciding factor at all, it'd only be to enjoy it when I glance at it.

So far I think it's ugly as, and I have to put it horizontal. But meh, seems like it runs great + Sony exclusives. Can't wait!

I'd get an uglier car if it meant it uses less fuel and maintenance.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
It's very ugly and it does bother me, every time I see it I just wonder ...why? Wish that technology came in an elegant package.

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't mean this as an attack on you but to me, worrying so much about how a console looks because your friends might not like how it looks in your home is the childish thing here.

It's one piece of electronic equipment that is hooked up toy our TV. It's there to play games/media and is something you don't even have to look at to use.

Worrying about how your friends might react to it is the sort of thing kids and teenagers do.

As a teenager I didn't care. Now that my wife and I have put a lot of effort into making the house look nice, dragging it down with that ugly thing would be undoing some of that hard work. Having a nice house is something to be proud of and something I'd like to show off.

I don't think that's childish. It's just human nature. You're welcome to not care -- maybe one day you'll change your mind just like I did!

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Its ugly as sin, but as long as it is quiet... I dont really care.

+ making it black its gonna do wonders to it.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah I absolutely care. It's humongous size isn't even the issue for me, but how it looks. I honestly have no idea what Sony were thinking with this one.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone complaining about how the console looks should have to post a photo of their entertainment setup. I'm trying to see something...

Feb 6, 2019
As a teenager I didn't care. Now that my wife and I have put a lot of effort into making the house look nice, dragging it down with that ugly thing would be undoing some of that hard work. Having a nice house is something to be proud of and something I'd like to show off.

I don't think that's childish. It's just human nature. You're welcome to not care -- maybe one day you'll change your mind just like I did!

That's funny, I put a lot of effort into making my living room look nice, and I like that the PS5 will accentuate and complement the modern decor in the room, which is to say lots of white plain surfaces, simple clean lines, and minimal detail.

Everyone complaining about how the console looks should have to post a photo of their entertainment setup. I'm trying to see something...

My tv unit is a matte white Besta thing from IKEA flanked by two white Billy bookshelves. On top of the Besta is a black center speaker and on either side of the bookshelves are two 4ft tall black floorstanding speakers. For decor in the room I have a few small fake plants, assorted generic white/black ornaments on shelves, and the stereotypical "Sticks in a large vase on the floor" that nearly every modern room seems to have. It's like the PS5 was made for the room lol.

I guess I'm crazy or something but I'd rather have a game console that looks like a sculpture or piece of art/decor with some sort of artistic flair to it (PS2, PS3 phat, PS4, PS5, Xb1 S, Wii) than one that looks like a typical discreet dvd player / home theater equipment that the majority of systems aim for.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Haha I will be 36 in February and been married for over 11 years. I'm actually very house proud and want my house to look good, mainly for myself. One piece of electronic equipment isn't going to undo the rest of my house.

Hell, playing video games in general is more of a stigma amongst most people than having a console that is divisive looking.

At the end of the day, you do you but to me, that sounds really insecure.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people who don't care how the PS5 looks also don't have non-gamer spouses that control everything that enters their carefully curated and designed living room.

I mean we're getting a PS5 when they're in stock again, but it's going in my office, my wife isn't allowing it on the big TV in the living room since she thinks it's "fugly". 🤷‍♂️

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
kCwkAlQ.jpg

Have a grilled vented component rack with a door, going in there. Won't see it much.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like people who don't care how the PS5 looks also don't have non-gamer spouses that control everything that enters their carefully curated and designed living room.

I mean we're getting a PS5 when they're in stock again, but it's going in my office, my wife isn't allowing it on the big TV in the living room since she thinks it's "fugly". 🤷‍♂️
We didn't even get to the wife's veto power in my house because the ps5 design is so obnoxious I veto'd it early.

If I can't wait for a refresh I'll be putting the ps5 in the garage with all my other obnoxious shit. Lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The likely need for me to have both XSX and PS5 horizontal and that adding to the overall clutter of my AV stand made me rethink things completely. I now have fully covered BESTA shelving and made some custom doors with speaker cloth to allow sound from my speakers through, IR signals into the cabinet, and air intake. I also added some fans to pull air out the back so the consoles can breath.

I really think there is an opportunity for IKEA to sell some BESTA system doors with fabric/ventilated fronts for AV cabinets, and perhaps even USB powered exhausts like AC infinity offer that are compatible with their units (this could just be a replacement backboard, or have the existing backboard perforated to allow air to escape). Couple of fairly simple updates to sell as accessories.