• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
The rich are always scamming people out of their due money if possible it's how we ended up with salaries.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think the idea behind this was to allow locals to work for their lunch. There used to be an old trope where a customer that couldn't pay for their meal at a restaurant had to spend an hour washing dishes there to cover the cost. This is a similar concept of literally working for your lunch. It's still ridiculous in 2022, but the silver lining is you don't have to report your food earnings to the IRS!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I get people not liking chick Fila as a company...but honestly the comments on the quality of the food crack me up.

Please point me in the direction of a fast food place with 1 better chicken and 2 better service.

As for the post itself...people line up for hours for free shit. This is dumb but bet it works.
The service is subjective, given the point is that CFAs are so bad about the lines that their good service is moot.

I wouldn't even rank CFA in the top five fast food chicken sandwiches at this point.

Irate

Oct 25, 2017
The headline makes this seem worse than it is to me. Sounds like they do pay pretty well if you want an official job there, if you're just bored and want a sammy there's an option for that too

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
1 hour for 5 entrees is a pretty fuckin good deal ngl

Aside from the optics of it all

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Cash in those free meals for cash transfers and this sounds like a good deal.

Or even set up a scheme where someone gets five chicken sandwiches and they sell them off to customers about to enter the fast food chain but charge the cost without tax. This would undercut the business. Victory!

You could go to the back of the line and offer the sandwiches for face value and probably get it.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
The service is subjective, given the point is that CFAs are so bad about the lines that their good service is moot.

I wouldn't even rank CFA in the top five fast food chicken sandwiches at this point.
Again, please epoint to specifics. Taste is very subjective, but CFA doesn't dwarf the competition because they are not top of the fast food game.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, volunteering for a private for profit company is illegal in the United States. Someone should report them to the department of labor. Paying in chicken sandwiches doesn't count.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
5 entrees for 1 hour of work kind of dumps all over the rhetoric that "If we pay teenagers $15/hr to flip burgers, they'd have to jack up the prices!!!"

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
their statement said 'We are still hiring full time and part time team members, so if you are interested in working in our store, we pay $19/hr.'

I think this whole volunteering thing is more for people that want to work for 1 or 2 hours; once in a while.

Truth be told, if i was a teenager with a free hour in the afternoon; I'd volunteer to get 5 sandwiches. Knowing that there isn't any more commitment required from me would be a huge plus.

This is a good post.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately even if you converted 5 chicken sandwiches to money that's still only $15/hr

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Again, please epoint to specifics. Taste is very subjective, but CFA doesn't dwarf the competition because they are not top of the fast food game.
I mean

That's like saying McDonalds being at the top of the fast food game for so long means that their quality is good.

But if you want specifics, having all of them in short time (including CFA via free work stuff, so it's not like I'm going against them without giving CFA a fair shot)
Popeyes is undeniably better (though, yes, the service is worse, so it balances out) And if you want to talk about popularity, the fact that Popeyes was regularly selling out their sandwiches could just as easily be spun as them having the better product
Zaxbys is better (and the service is usually better)
Bojangles is about on par for the sando and is better otherwise with their food (and the service is almost always better)
Burger King shockingly has a good chicken sandwich now to where I'd say they are probably better (and you probably aren't going to be waiting in line, though the rest of the service balances out)
KFC has a slightly better sandwich (and, once again, perfectly fine service)
McDonalds' new chicken sandwich is basically on par with CFA and you don't spend forever in line, so it edges out CFA
Hardees/Carls Jr has a better sando (and don't have bad service), with the only caveat being their price

Just about the only place I'd say has a worse chicken sandwich than CFA is Wendys, but at least you aren't supporting bigots with Wendys that farmer abuse, tho

I'm not saying people are wrong for liking CFA. I don't begrudge people who go there out of habit or because other options specifically local to them aren't as viable. I am going to side eye the fanaticism that lacks an element of slickness to use the parlance of our times. There's viable options.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It is suppose to be 88 with a heat index of 94 degrees with 74% humidly today where that store is located

Oct 29, 2017
Even aside from their obvious problematic nature and donations to shit organizations, Chic Fil A isn't even all that good. So this cult of devotion to them is just so weird.

Their sauce is good, but you can find copy-cat versions at grocery stores that are just as good.

They also got rid of their chicken salad sandwich years ago which was the best thing on the menu. Other restaurants have better base chicken sandwiches tbh.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I get people not liking chick Fila as a company...but honestly the comments on the quality of the food crack me up.

Please point me in the direction of a fast food place with 1 better chicken and 2 better service.

As for the post itself...people line up for hours for free shit. This is dumb but bet it works.

You should get a free sandwich for your volunteer work defending them.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Even aside from their obvious problematic nature and donations to shit organizations, Chic Fil A isn't even all that good. So this cult of devotion to them is just so weird.
The thing that gets me about the fanatical devotion is that it wasn't like that back in the day. People liked CFA, but it wasn't like a place where people were constantly flooding the drive throughs. At least until, you know, it became a Culture War topic

so

you know

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Not a big fan of Chik-fil-A's corporate beliefs, but the food is good.

They state they're hiring people at $19/hour if they're looking for work.

If this is just "pop in for an hour or two a week, get some free food" type deal with no other commitments, I've got no problem with it.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
their statement said 'We are still hiring full time and part time team members, so if you are interested in working in our store, we pay $19/hr.'

I think this whole volunteering thing is more for people that want to work for 1 or 2 hours; once in a while.

Truth be told, if i was a teenager with a free hour in the afternoon; I'd volunteer to get 5 sandwiches. Knowing that there isn't any more commitment required from me would be a huge plus.
Then they should hire people and pay them with money. It's fairly obvious that volunteering for them would be for their benefit. Taking advantage of teenagers doesn't absolve this. I got paid for the summer jobs I did.

In fact this would only encourage companies to advertise volunteering roles for a foot-in the company. Why be a devil's advocate?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
haha, this is right where I live… I have seen that exact restaurant. I am a recruiter and this area and yes, it's very tough.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I imagine the requirement for this is to just sign a waiver saying CFA isn't responsible if you get hit by a car or pass out in the heat. This honestly seems like a good deal if you're really struggling and have some sort of troubled background that'd make it hard to hire you. 5 sandwiches could feed lunch to 2-3 people and you don't have to go through the whole hiring process.
It's bad optics, but I actually kinda like it. I would have done this when I was a teen, or when I lost my job but didn't want to work fast food again.

May 22, 2018
Yeah I was wondering if this story would pop up here. I live in Hensersonville and just 5 minutes away from this location, and it is STUPID busy. I have no idea what management was thinking trying this stunt since now a lot of people here in town are talking shit about them and vowing not to go back (I bet they will eventually).

Even ignoring all the political baggage this chain carries that chicken isn't worth an hour in this summer heat. Its ridiculously overrated.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
I can give you 5 fuck yous per hour. Garbage company and their chicken sucks.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

If this is just "pop in for an hour or two a week, get some free food" type deal with no other commitments, I've got no problem with it.

I mean $19/hour is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't think the pay is the issue. The whole thing with Chick Fil A is their customer service and my guess is that the local well of super upbeat upper middle class teenagers has run dry. And most of your upbeat middle aged lower class types have probably figured out ways to make more money doing anything else.

Like I don't see Chick Fil A hiring the folks over at Popeyes who are always having a bad day. So whatever super specific demographic that makes up Chick Fil A's workforce just isn't there in this economy.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly someone got around to telling management that they managed to violate the single labor law that does exist in the USA if they've removed the post.

A blatantly illegal idea, still passes whatever approval method they've got for PR? Their management needs to hire themselves a babysitter.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In more positive news, the Chick-fil-A in Spring Cypress closed down not too long ago.

I'll never understand this love for Chick-fil-a. Even putting aside the crippling homophobia, like it's not even particularly great or anything. It's not bad, but like, it's still just basic ass fast food.

The service is muuuuuch better than other fast food chains. They give you free sandwich coupons every so many orders and free drink refills.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna do shit for Chick-fil-a but there are def certain ages where if I could have gotten five lunches for a random hour of time of work I might have taken it.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
You should get a free sandwich for your volunteer work defending them.
And I would enjoy it lol.

Hmm, have to give some of those a try (I don't eat fast food regularly at all). Dodnt care for Zaxbys, Popeyes was good but service is terrible. Didnt know burger King even still existed (joking obviously but seriously don't even know where one is near me). Would love if there was a bojangles near me...biscuits and gravy please.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their commercials try to seem so cutesy and wholesome, and then they pull rancid shit like this and being homophobic. Fuck this chain and anyone who eats there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The issue I'd have is that it creates (or further reinforces) the perception that this kind of work is something anyone can just pop up off the street and do for a couple of free chicken sandwiches, which might create difficulties for employees when they are want to raise awareness regarding their rights or pay. There's already a lot of "Fast food is a high school job be happy with what you get!" among a lot of Americans when the $15 min wage thing started popping up. And frankly I wouldn't put it past these large corporations to know exactly what they are doing with this stuff. Just hire people and pay them a fair, living wage.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Thats an obscene amount of food if given in one go and a fucked up way to try to get ahead of the staffing issues they have, for profit organizations doesn't get to use volunteers to cover for a lack of paid staff, it leads to more abusive situations long term.

Paying them in product while looking like a decent value on the outside, is actually a shitty deal when you consider how little money it likely costs the company to part with that product. You help the company earn money, being rewarded with their product for said work is just a roundabout way for them to pay you a lower wage.

If you substitute for paid staff, you need to get paid a fair wage that is equal or exceeding what regular staff is paid, in real tangible money. If the company won't hire more or can't find more staff, then maybe the problem is one they made to begin with by not paying an attractive wage.

Last edited: