• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why Tether specifically?
Tether has always been the emptiest promise of the whole crypto market. Backed by absolutely nothing and continuously used to pump up the marked with newly "printed" billions of tether "$"s out of thin air whenever it was needed.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this biggest of all ponzi schemes ever conceived by humanity (next to institutionalized religion) hasn't spectacularly imploded years ago already. Everyone even remotely familiar knows it's a huge, unsustainable scam but secretly hopes the ruse holds up so they can keep making actual money.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
can't decide whether to feel sorry for the people getting financially ruined since they're victims of fraud, or to feel schadenfreude over selfish people who are ok with ruining the planet to make money instead losing their money

ngl, leaning towards schadenfreude

but then again, if this exacerbates an ongoing global economic meltdown at large, then lots of innocent people get caught in the crossfire. and obviously, if this actually leads to suicides, that would be really tragic. feeling torn. the only thing i'm not torn on is rage towards the small minority of people who knew what they were doing and ended up profiting from this, at the expense of so much harm and suffering of others and of the planet
You should always choose to not be an asshole if that means celebrating during other people's misery. It's not that hard.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Eh, who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Will this at least have a positive effect on the already falling gpu prices? I'd love to build a high end PC for sub $2k again.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Tether is a stable coin that is supposed to be pegged to the dollar. This is the equivalent of a money market fund breaking the buck.

Tether is a huge scam and is the third largest crypto by market cap. They print billions of it out of thin air every couple weeks and use it to pump the price of bitcoin and eth. They printed a billion just a couple days ago

kind of seems like there are A Lot of red flags when it come to crypto

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I was sure there will be at least one post like "One Ponzi scheme is collapsing, but my Ponzi scheme will never do that" in this thread and unfortunately I was not wrong.

I feel sorry for the people who lost money they didn't afford to lose and I hope they get some help. Never invest money if you can't afford losing a good part of them.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Basically everything that was warned about a month ago in this Coin Bureau video is basically happening now, for those looking to understand what's going on a bit better.

That guy is a conspiracy theory nutjob

Edit: unrelated to the topic of the video btw. I just remember watching his videos a while ago when I was researching crypto and had some really bad takes (great reset, nwo, that kind of stuff)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing has always been a distasteful, environmentally destructive scam, but I feel bad for the rubes getting wrecked in its wake.

People talk about regulations like they're alway bad but many of them exist specifically because scams & crises like those rampant in this field are at least as old as capitalism and almost took down entire nation states at one time or another.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
can't decide whether to feel sorry for the people getting financially ruined since they're victims of fraud, or to feel schadenfreude over selfish people who are ok with ruining the planet to make money instead losing their money

ngl, leaning towards schadenfreude

but then again, if this exacerbates an ongoing global economic meltdown at large, then lots of innocent people get caught in the crossfire. and obviously, if this actually leads to suicides, that would be really tragic. feeling torn. the only thing i'm not torn on is rage towards the small minority of people who knew what they were doing and ended up profiting from this, at the expense of so much harm and suffering of others and of the planet
I think the appropriate response should be anger, because the super-rich have *always* controlled the crypto market and any gains made in it are directly off the backs off the people it swallowed up only to lose their shirts. It's what ponzi schemes do.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Will this at least have a positive effect on the already falling gpu prices? I'd love to build a high end PC for sub $2k again.
In regards to GPU, partly. Crypto is only one factor to that. Chip Shortage is the other and as consoles and most other electronics can vouch that is not getting better in the near-term.

So a crypto collapse will lower prices and make them a little easier to find, but certainly not order one MSRP whenever you want easy.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Why Tether specifically?

it's promoted as a "stable coin" pegged to the us dollar. if it's trading below 1 usd that means people are trying to cash out their tether for dollars. there have been questions and investigations as to their actual reserves backing the token. so if it turns out that at some point you can no longer cash out your tether for dollars because they don't have the funds to back it up...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You should always choose to not be an asshole if that means celebrating during other people's misery. It's not that hard.
when i first made the post i hadn't considered the possibility of, and read the posts about suicides. i obviously don't feel schadenfreude about people getting so ruined they see that as their only option

but people who really should have known better? who were in communities like this one, surrounded by people explaining why crypto is bad over and over, but still stuck with it out of greed? if they were completely ruined, i can't feel happy about that, but so long as they're losing money they can afford to lose, i think schadenfreude is warranted

but yeah, my initial post was callous and maybe a bit cruel. I'm mostly trying to work out my own feelings about this and putting that process into print in these posts and in doing so, they're lacking some nuance. but i know i don't want to see young or vulnerable people completely financially ruined by this scam. it brings me no joy

Last edited:

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
If you bought $100 of Rivian six months ago, you have $15.86 now.
If you bought $100 of Netflix six months ago, you have $24.37 now.

Love watching all these FOMO plays burn. VTI till the day I die, respect.
Yeah what the hell kind of post is that. Is anything doing well from 6 months ago. Amazon and Google down.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel a bit of sympathy for crypto bros if the vast majority of them weren't simultaneously fuck the poor types.

Hard to feel for people like that even if they are taken for a ride.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tether is a stable coin that is supposed to be pegged to the dollar. This is the equivalent of a money market fund breaking the buck.

Tether is a huge scam and is the third largest crypto by market cap. They print billions of it out of thin air every couple weeks and use it to pump the price of bitcoin and eth. They printed a billion just a couple days ago

Uhh.

This doesn't seem sustainable. But what do I know.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Why Tether specifically?
It's called a Stablecoin, which is less volatile than other coins, but is tied to other coins. So if it feels the effects of all that's going on it hurts everything else around it.

www.nytimes.com

Bitcoin Is Increasingly Acting Like Just Another Tech Stock (Published 2022)

The cryptocurrency’s plunging value has mirrored losses in the Nasdaq, a benchmark that’s weighted toward tech stocks.

good reading if you're interested.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
So this ties into NFTs too right?
I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about this.
Yes, basically. NFTs are a little more complicated, in that they exist on a different "coin system" called Etherium (or one of its many derivatives) but in general the entire ecosystem depends on a certain amount of (hah) fungibility between the different coin systems thanks to coins like Tether and in general a problem this large affecting one part of the market is going to affect all of it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My employer has some money tied up in Crypto (no idea how much)

I wonder how he's coping. He certainly has been a bit more quick-to-anger than usual, but that's pretty normal for him.

How much real money and energy has been spent to create this monopoly money so far?

Ugh, I think that's what bothers me the most. How much CO2 have we pumped into the atmosphere for a fake currency that is now worth a fraction of what it once was.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So I was there thinking "hey it's gonna go up again eventually" but now I'm like... what should have been the point of crypto, again? Has it been just hype?

Sad for the people who bet all their money on this. You should never put too much money in stock without diversification.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that there's a crypto that just prints its own currency to inflate the worth of other cryptos is just insane to me.

I really don't know enough about the topic to consider my opinion informed, but that sounds like a potential disaster.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the appropriate response should be anger, because the super-rich have *always* controlled the crypto market and any gains made in it are directly off the backs off the people it swallowed up only to lose their shirts. It's what ponzi schemes do.
Absolutely. Crypto is just another - and extremely effective - tool for funnelling more wealth to the top, increasing social inequality.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, to all who placed all faith in funny money that is totally invulnerable from outside market forces, genuinely sorry. Meanwhile, peeps still unable to get insulin out there.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So this ties into NFTs too right?
I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about this.
It does in that NFTs and cryptocurrencies both use blockchain technology. However the value of a given cryptocurrency is not connected to the value of a single NFT, or NFTs in general. They both rely on the use of a blockchain, but their value/worth are not directly connected. Dogecoin's value plummeting doesn't make Bored Apes suddenly cheaper.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
So I was there thinking "hey it's gonna go up again eventually" but now I'm like... what should have been the point of crypto, again? Has it been just hype?

Sad for the people who bet all their money on this. You should never put too much money in stock without diversification.
The original point, in theory, was to provide a way to exchange money without traditional banks attached.

Seems like it's turned into another way for rich people to fleece money from rubes.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Good, hopefully bitcoin and eth are next.

Isn't it interesting how that ad coincides with the start of a long, not-so-slow decline in crypto value? Almost as if a bunch of rich investors were looking for a bunch of rubes to unload their worthless assets. Anyone who bought in to crypto over the past half year got absolutely washed.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My employer has some money tied up in Crypto (no idea how much)

I wonder how he's coping. He certainly has been a bit more quick-to-anger than usual, but that's pretty normal for him.
My neighbor is retired and has basically all his stuff in crypto. All he does is in his garage and just watches financial stuff on the TV and talks on the phone.

I walked my dog earlier and he was literally yelling in his garage about the crash. I could hear him even though the garage door was closed.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The best thing that could happen is if crypto just disappeared. It should have never been a thing to begin with

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
It's like almost everything in our society. A ton of energy spent, a ton of normal people hurt.

Just go the rich can get richer.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Good, hopefully bitcoin and eth are next.

Isn't it interesting how that ad coincides with the start of a long, not-so-slow decline in crypto value? Almost as if a bunch of rich investors were looking for a bunch of rubes to unload their worthless assets. Anyone who bought in to crypto over the past half year got absolutely washed.

The 21st century equivalent of the shoe shine boy telling you about the hot new stock. These things tend to only become mainstream when the markets are near the top, and I'm sure that isn't an accident.

I hate crypto but this graph is really silly. It looks like a massive decline but it's less than 0.4 percent.

A stablecoin should never go above or below $1 - the idea (though not the reality in the case of either Tether or TerraUSD) is that it's backed by real currency, so should always be exchangable for that currency on a 1 to 1 basis. In the case of TerraUSD, the peg was algorithmic (Luna Terra and TerraUSD were linked in a way that you could 'burn' some of one for some of the other (1 UST for $1 of Luna Terra or vice versa), relying on arbitrage over the tiny fractions of a cent in variation to cause people to burn one or the other at any given time, keeping the price at $1. Needless to say, that only really works if people a) have confidence in the value of Luna Terra, b) the market can actually respond to these tiny changes on very short scales, and c) that there's enough of that coin around to exchange for UST, even as the price of UST drops. In the case of Tether, they were supposed to be backed by a stash of actual USD, but I don't think anyone actually believes that. Those fractions of a cent may look inconsequential, but if Tether were to lose a cent or two, I think we'd see a run on the market that would crash everything. People use stablecoins to lock in value in an otherwise volatile market, and when your 'stable' currency becomes volatile, all bets are off.

Last edited:

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yes, basically. NFTs are a little more complicated, in that they exist on a different "coin system" called Etherium (or one of its many derivatives) but in general the entire ecosystem depends on a certain amount of (hah) fungibility between the different coin systems thanks to coins like Tether and in general a problem this large affecting one part of the market is going to affect all of it.
It does in that NFTs and cryptocurrencies both use blockchain technology. However the value of a given cryptocurrency is not connected to the value of a single NFT, or NFTs in general. They both rely on the use of a blockchain, but their value/worth are not directly connected. Dogecoin's value plummeting doesn't make Bored Apes suddenly cheaper.
Thanks. I don't know much about how these work or are interconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.