• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When Marcus got hired to work at the first legal weed dispensary in Toronto, he didn't expect to come face to face with a puddle of human feces.

But Marcus, 22, quit his budtender position at the Hunny Pot Cannabis Co. after he alleged the company mishandled two floods, including one where his colleagues were asked to clean up sewage water without proper equipment.

"It smelled like shit," Marcus said.

In a separate flood, Marcus alleged management offered water-damaged containers of cannabis to staff at a discount. He said he didn't realize the water may have been contaminated with sewage.

Marcus and five other former Hunny Pot employees who spoke to VICE described a chaotic and at times unsanitary environment, with racial microaggressions and payroll issues. They described a culture of fear, where management played favourites among staff, and those who spoke up were punished or faced "jokes" about being fired. The workers (five out of six declined to use their real names due to privacy concerns, and are identified by first name pseudonyms) showed VICE documentation of their grievances, including a letter they gave to management in October.

"I had to leave for my own mental health," Marcus said.

All six former employees quit their jobs.

When I spoke to the Hunny Pot's owner Hunny Gawri, a real estate agent, on opening day, he admitted he had very limited knowledge about cannabis but said his retail experience would allow him to run a successful shop. The store is opening a second location in Burlington soon.

But the Hunny Pot made several gaffes from the get-go. It wasn't wheelchair-accessible; it was accused of overcharging its customers; and, as VICE reported, the shop's publicist pretended to be its first customer in a television interview, during which she raved about the service she received. A shirt worn by a white female employee bearing the slogan "I run on weed & gangsta rap," was criticized by some as being tone deaf considering that Black people are disproportionately arrested for cannabis crimes and often left out of the legal industry.

D3FOeqSXgAAVC3I

Sara, 27, was among the first cohort of Hunny Pot employees. She said from the first day of orientation, prior to the store launch, there was something off.

"This big old white dude comes in the room in front of all the people and announces, 'I don't partake in this stuff, I'm just the money,'" she said.

Sara told VICE a fellow employee at the meeting talked about how she'd gone through chemotherapy and was concerned about the lack of a railing on the stairs.

According to Sara, the man, who she believes is an investor with the company, abruptly responded that the Hunny Pot wasn't the place for people with trouble walking. Another former employee who was present during the orientation corroborated Sara's claim.

"That kind of theme is kind of what carried on with every issue," Sara said. "The safety of workers, the happiness of workers, anything to do with their people, it was completely second thought."

Sewage floods
On September 28, a sewage pipe in the Hunny Pot's basement caused flooding. The area is where the former employees said they clocked in and out for their shifts and includes the vault, where cannabis products are stocked.

When Jake, another Hunny Pot budtender, showed up at work that morning, he said everyone was "in a panic and confused" over the flood. According to Jake, his manager Carlo Bernabe was cracking jokes and encouraging people to go downstairs where the flood was most active in order to clock in.

You could actually see the floor was brown," he said, noting there were parts of the floor that looked like slush.

Racial microaggressions
Jake, who is Black, said he was subjected to racist remarks by one of the store's supervisors.

He alleged that during one shift that supervisor told him that he was the "perfect" person to guard the store because he's a "big Black guy." That same day, he alleged she remarked on his Ankh necklace and asked if he was going to "summon fertility from the gods." Jake said soon after she made the comments, the supervisor stopped working for the Hunny Pot.

www.vice.com

‘It Smelled Like Shit.’ Why These Workers Quit Hunny Pot Toronto’s First Legal Weed Shop

Sewage floods, missing pay, and racial microaggressions all contributed to an unbearable work environment, according to six former Hunny Pot employees who spoke to VICE.

More in the article.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize it would be about the literal smell of shit.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory generalizations
I mean that area of Queen St. is full of homeless people and vagrants so not surprised tbh.

Edit: Sorry, I was only reacting to the thread title. I came across as an ass.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The headline from this article is pretty dumb. "It smelled like shit" seems to obviously imply that the weed smelled like shit and workers couldn't take it, so they quit... When in fact, a sewage pipe burst in the building and shit smells like shit. Yeah. Shit smells like shit, so..

The rest of the pot shop just sounds like it's horribly run by negligent owner and sounds like a shitty place to work. I'm surprised that they could skirt by regulations for accessibility or other laws that might exist in Canada. In the US that'd be illegal without an exemption, and because weed shops in legal states also usually serve medical use patients, the exemption would never be given. Not a chance that a place that has a large percentage of disabled or infirmed would be able to skirt by ADA regulations.

I heaped a lot of crap on Massachusetts for being so slow to roll out recreational pot dispensaries, taking nearly 2 years to open their doors from when voters legalized it, but now it's running pretty well... Stores are really clean, well run, with knowledgable staff, there's never any lines anymore, the product is all really good. It's expensive, but I'd rather pay for good product, good experience, that I know where it comes from and that a portion of it is going back to cities and towns than save $20. There's still some issues, like the law legalizing marijuana mentioned that some percentage of revenue from the tax has to go into communities that have been hurt by marijuana enforcement, but that provision was vague and it hasn't been implemented -- tax revenue is still just going back to the state's general fund. There are some other flaws too, like how many towns that skew whiter and richer have put moratoriums on marijuana shops from opening in their town limits, effectively ghettoizing retail marijuana into cities where there's more diversity and poverty, which is bull shit, but not surprising. Personally I think if a town opts out of a retail shop then they should opt out of revenue from marijuana from the general fund. But overall, since last year when the first retail shops opened to long lines, short supply, and some chaos, it's all settled down and is running well.

I mean that area of Queen St. is full of homeless people and vagrants so not surprised tbh.

What do the homeless and vagrants have to do with a busted sewage pipe?

Edit: Quoted person edited so this post has been updated since my reply

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's what new employees like to see, a big dumb idiot showing up saying theyre the money and immediately make denigrating remarks about the staff. So many shops have opened up across Canada and the US attracting all sorts of morons who wanna launder money.

Oct 30, 2017
Going off the thread title alone I thought of how I hate the smell of weed, but reading the OP, this isn't "Smells like shit" but a literal SMELL OF SHIT!

I'm gagging!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Should've kept the LCBO model of government-run shops with union-represented employees. Fuck Ford.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The roll-out of cannabis retail in Ontario was a fucking mess, and these guys rushed to be the first.

The previous provincial government had planned on government-run retail outlets, which was a deeply flawed plan because they were going to start with 12 locations, but it was a plan. Master of turning everything he touches in shit, Doug Ford, was elected and scrapped those plans. Instead he brought in a lottery system for a limited number of retail licences, and people with no experience in the industry (or any retail at all) largely won them. They had a very short enforced timeline, something 30 days, from winning their licence to opening their stores.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I did assume it was the smell of actual shit. Maybe cause the news had a story this morning about busted sewage pipes and thats on my mind

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"he didn't realize the weed may have been contaminated by sewage"

When your weed is so dank you keep it in Gahiggidy's Litter dispenser.

Wky9sfZ.jpg

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Look I'll smell some shit if I can legally smoke.

I already have had dealers with really gross houses anyways.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol lived right down the road from there and went a few times. not surprised at all hahaha

thankfully the other stores in the city are generally run much better

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That sounds horrible. Thankfully the store I frequent here in MA seems pretty clean.

as The Albatross said I was a little upset with the slow rollout but it seems to have created a pretty good system with experienced outfits and stores that emphasize quality and cleanliness in both product and service.

I don't think they just allow just anyone to open a store, or have license lotteries, I am pretty sure outlet regulations served for outfits that were already doing medical and in other states like Colorado a chance to apply already working methods. Not sure how that works in the business or if it's good or bad in capitalism or weird cronyism/monopolizing, but it has led to an amazing customer experience and a product that before tax is very favorably comparable to street prices (at least the store I like going to) and I don't mind paying the tax for the convenience, choice and experience and labeling, but most importantly the ability to buy it and have it as a law abiding citizen in the middle of the day while running my errands instead of 2 minute running car exchanges in half lit parking lots is worth the extra 20 dollars.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The Ontario system is a giant racket funneling money to LPs and their retail arms which buy up the winning licences from the lottery. I recommend if the option is there for people to buy local and illegal until something changes

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds horrible. Thankfully the store I frequent here in MA seems pretty clean.

as The Albatross said I was a little upset with the slow rollout but it seems to have created a pretty good system with experienced outfits and stores that emphasize quality and cleanliness in both product and service.

I don't think they just allow just anyone to open a store, or have license lotteries, I am pretty sure outlet regulations served for outfits that were already doing medical and in other states like Colorado a chance to apply already working methods. Not sure how that works in the business or if it's good or bad in capitalism or weird cronyism/monopolizing, but it has led to an amazing customer experience and a product that before tax is very favorably comparable to street prices (at least the store I like going to) and I don't mind paying the tax for the convenience, choice and experience and labeling, but most importantly the ability to buy it and have it as a law abiding citizen in the middle of the day while running my errands instead of 2 minute running car exchanges in half lit parking lots is worth the extra 20 dollars.

I dunno if you've checked out The Botanist, but it's really nice. Requires medical card, though:

www.shopbotanist.com

Worcester Medical Marijuana and Adult-Use Dispensary | The Botanist Cannabis 21+

Discover Worcester's favorite medical marijuana and cannabis dispensary. Visit us or pre-order online for a wide variety of cannabis products like flower, edibles, vapes and more.

0dap9wP.png

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Ontario system is a giant racket funneling money to LPs and their retail arms which buy up the winning licences from the lottery. I recommend if the option is there for people to buy local and illegal until something changes
Ontario just scrapped the lottery so now it's easier to sell licenses to their "donors".

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Ontario just scrapped the lottery so now it's easier to sell licenses to their "donors".
honestly scrapping the lottery is a positive step given that it basically did nothing to stop that from already happening. At least now the price for partnering with a licencee will hopefully fall to the point where local startups can get involved.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno if you've checked out The Botanist, but it's really nice. Requires medical card, though:

www.shopbotanist.com

Worcester Medical Marijuana and Adult-Use Dispensary | The Botanist Cannabis 21+

Discover Worcester's favorite medical marijuana and cannabis dispensary. Visit us or pre-order online for a wide variety of cannabis products like flower, edibles, vapes and more.

0dap9wP.png
I am trying to get medical so if I do I will check it out, looks amazing.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I think alot of new small businesses run by people with no experience running a business tend to have horror stories like this. If you aren't related to the owner or a good friend, mistreatment can be common. This stuff sounds tame in comparison to the average bar or restaurant.