• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I find it amazing when people have to be so deceptive about the company they've set up just to get anyone to work with them and yet a lightbulb doesn't go off in their head that makes them think "maybe its us that needs to change"

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Anime Matsuri is still popular. Disappointing to see, but not surprising.

Anecdotal but I know people who claim to be "progressive", talk shit bout Vig etc. but still talk about recent experiences there, so I assume they still go. Can't have ideals/ethics get in the way of their fun anime fanservice time.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

View: https://twitter.com/TheMorganBerry/status/1549147672983916544?s=20&t=zfuoZQNdWjE1t1mJjNWEcg

I figured most, if not all, of the relevant VA were left in the dark due to standard industry practices --Matsuri's shifty practices undoubtedly didn't help matters. (Although Vic apparently being the ADR director does raise eyebrows.)

I'm only sad it came down to Monica blocking people; granted, I can't blame her for being firm with boundaries after everything that happened, but I hope she can forgive them one day.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I've grown numb to cultists willfully ignoring Occam's Razor over the past six years, and yet watching the same exact excuses poisoning the well after all this time -- be it our apparent hatred of Vic's undying Christianity imaginary casting couches -- is nothing less than pathetic. I'm convinced this still dominates their lives.

(He'll, they're still making up new shit! Got a good laugh out of "JAMIE IGNORED A COURT ORDER" earlier)

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
So, let me get this straight. Anime Matsuri is about to corner the market of anime dubs. By hiring actors under a fake name, with an address on an empty lot in Texas.

And they forgot to secure the distribution rights to the series...

I can't decide if this is a better Vig comeback than the time he was presenting homemade action figures on a trashcan.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Oh jesus, I decided to look at Anime Matsuri's speaker list, which includes Nick Rekieta and that chode from Geeks and Gamers

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
been on a ride reading all these twitter threads.

Their "office" for their dubbing business is 15 minutes from where i live. Dont think they'll get many more projects after whatever they screened based on owner's history.

Nice to finally know why Planet Zero shut down (holy shit $85k of unpaid rent!). Always wanted to go as a teen but in hindsight, glad I never went. Makes sense that the husband is way more into cars than anime. The couple times I did pass by the arcade, there always seemed to be a car meetup and the times I browsed their site seemed to focus on the cars more than the anime+ arcade machines.

Blows my mind that people still want to go there. Even if you ignore all these sexual harassment cases that got bad enough to make the local news, the guest list seems...underwhelming? Now I never been to an anime convention so I don't know the standard but I feel like being in a state where half the U.S. anime industry is based should get you an advantage in getting guests and companies to set up panels and booths at your convention. The guest list had little of that.

Are there alternative conventions in Houston or in other cities in the state? Is it a case of them being the only convention so you dont have options unless you're willing to buy a plane ticket? Tbh, I only ever see Anime Matsuri being advertised in billboards and stuff driving around.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
For reference of CSX post, read this:

www.houstonpress.com

The Con: Anime Matsuri Is Growing, and so Is the List of People Unhappy With It

It’s not uncommon in anime to see a lone girl standing bravely before a colorfully dressed, angry horde determined to get past her, but this was real life and Sarah Skrobarczyk, president of Delta H Con, had to make do with diplomacy given her lack of ninja skills or magical...

Are there alternative conventions in Houston or in other cities in the state? Is it a case of them being the only convention so you dont have options unless you're willing to buy a plane ticket? Tbh, I only ever see Anime Matsuri being advertised in billboards and stuff driving around.

https://deltahcon.com/ is in Houston

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The comments for that ANN article are the usual trash fire, marzgurl is holding a valiant effort against the hordes of "well Monica is just as bad for siccing her Twitter followers on the VAs associated with this" and "well actually none of those speakers are alt-right". Plus a guest shot from someone complaining about the "loli = pedo apologia" sign for the exact reason you think.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
The comments for that ANN article are the usual trash fire, marzgurl is holding a valiant effort against the hordes of "well Monica is just as bad for siccing her Twitter followers on the VAs associated with this" and "well actually none of those speakers are alt-right". Plus a guest shot from someone complaining about the "loli = pedo apologia" sign for the exact reason you think.
Isn't G&G explicitly alt right?

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, in terms of big ones would be Ikkicon (Austin) and San Japan (San Antonio). The latter is happening pretty soon.

Houston has a few smaller ones coming up according to this:
animecons.com

2022 USA Anime Convention Schedule | AnimeCons.com

A list of 2022 USA Anime Conventions from the biggest convention database as found on AnimeCons.com.

Oct 26, 2017
Anime Matsuri is still popular. Disappointing to see, but not surprising.

Anecdotal but I know people who claim to be "progressive", talk shit bout Vig etc. but still talk about recent experiences there, so I assume they still go. Can't have ideals/ethics get in the way of their fun anime fanservice time.

I have never been but from what I've heard it sounds like a pretty terrible con. I have no idea how the creators haven't been buried alive by lawsuits yet.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The opinion is out on Westlaw but not up on the Texas Second Court of Appeals website yet, but it's sounding like it's a brutal beatdown.

Vig's now 0-35, is halftime over yet?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Hah so not only lost again but has to pay MORE.

Maybe he should stop listening to his lawyer.