• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its been fascinating to see them go from "These people are going to be in Jail, Toei's going to pull Dragonball from Funimation, and Toei's going to give it to Vic for his new dubbing studio" to "Well Vic only lost 250,000 dollars, and Funimation and Monica lost a bunch of money so that's a win for us"

They just don't want to admit that the guy who has a history of being a sex pest, and has asked his fans to defend him maybe isn't a victim of a conspiracy involving the voice actress for Bulma (the main female lead of Dragonball) being jealous of Vic because he got to voice Broly (a character who appears in a couple of movies). Like they will move any goal post to justify the idea that "they are winning". No matter how much Ty Beard and Nick bungle the case, they are still super lawyers who are experts at law.

The fact that topic is basically dead except for some "saving face" posts every couple of weeks says more than their posts ever could.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, this is also going to go back to something Chupp mentioned to JSL a few weeks back. He mentioned that JSL may be able to prove the lawsuit was frivolous just based on Ty's filings to date.

If I was Ty, I'd be feeling mad embarrassed because the Judge essentially just called your case trash in the nicest way a Judge can; based on the filings on their face, Ty was likely screwed without much added effort. This goes back to costs because what I'm thinking Chupp is going to go for if he provides a detailed rationale is that the work defending this case did not require an extraordinary amount of effort.

Besides what was already mentioned, if the appeals court still wants to defer to Chupp on costs, Chupp's rationale can still tank Vig's appeal chances even further if he's like "the costs were justified because this case was trash" and the appeals court is like "yeah, we'll affirm the costs because he was right, this case is trash... so why is plaintiff trying to appeal this?" It's going to cover the defendant's bases either way; either it gives them an avenue for higher fees if Chupp's logic doesn't check out, or even if the fee battle is lost, Chupp's explanation if given may hurt Vig even more

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
EKU_GoJWkAU9xcj.jpg:large

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I have the sinking feeling that Chupp has had some run-ins with Lemoine in the past, but he probably never wants to see Beard ever again.

Too bad when Vic appeals, you know the trigger is going to be squeezed on the notary sanction stuff by Lemoine out of spite

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I hope Vic appeals again so that the Vicsgivings he will need to hand out can balloon to [looks it up] 370.000$.
yajirobe-dragon-ball-money.jpg

Fucking do it you maniac!

And about which Dragon Ball arc we are in. I say Super Android 17. That´s when Goku was stranded in hell during GT and had to fight Frieza and Cell at once. Vic ain´t no Goku, no sir. It ended pretty fast with only 7 eps. He´ll fold faster in court.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Nah at this point it's the Tree of Might movie. Pointless villians who can't win even with an upgrade and everyone knows it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It should be noted that if Vig appeals, the Defendants are near 100% likely to cross appeal the damages against him.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I'm confused, what happened to the 500k thing?
As I understand it...

There was $250,000 in Screech's GFM (legally speaking, Screech owns that money). Beard is alleged to have racked up enough receipts to drain the entire thing.

Vic/Beard lost the case (completely, they were blown the fuck out), so now Vic (not Screech or the GFM or Beard) is on the hook to pay the Defendants court costs, plus a penalty to make sure Vic doesn't do this kind of thing again.

The Defendants lawyers (for three human Defendants plus a corporation) dropped receipts for $800,000 (this includes costs for Vic's planned appeal).

The Judge hit Vic with $225,000 worth of lawyers fees, plus $15,000 worth of sanctions (so Vic is personally going to be hit with almost $250,000). If Vic is stupid enough to continue with his appeal, then he gets hit with another $280,000 worth of the Defendants lawyers fees (for a total of $525,000).

It's possible that the Defendants won't be forced to pay their lawyers the difference. Their lawyers might call it "good enough" and take what they can get. Also maybe there was some insurance involved.

Screech and Beard could also solve Vic's current money problems by giving the GFM money to Vic instead of Beard. Does Beard have the guts to take the financial hit for his own failure, and not charge Vic any money for his spectacularly bad performance?

Vic's appeal is very unlikely to succeed, because Beard fucked the case up with his incompetence, and the appeal isn't allowed to introduce anything new. The appeal only looks at the Judge's decisions to see if the Judge did something legally-wrong with the garbage Beard submitted (and the Judge apparently went out of his way to ensure that he didn't make any errors, or that any errors leaned in Vic's favor).

Meanwhile, the Defendants lawyers can appeal, because they put down receipts in the amount of $800,000. The Judge knocked that down to $525,000 (assuming Vic appeals) because he was being kind to Vic. An appeal can overturn that kindness.

And, the Defendants lawyers attempting to appeal the reduction in court costs will work more favorably for them if Vic pulls the trigger on his own appeal first.

Basically, the smartest thing Vic could do at this point would be to demand that Screech/Beard be the ones to pay the Defendants from the GFM, while Vic shuts down the appeal. If Vic lets the appeal go forward, then Vic will only be making things much, much worse for himself.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he appeals so he loses HALF A MILLION DOLLARS on this stupidity.
If he appeals there's a good chance he loses more than that, depending on what Chupp's reasoning for the fee cuts were. On cross-appeal the defence can potentially tear Chupp's arguments apart and the Appeals court could reinstate the full amount asked for. Potentially also increasing the sanctions (this is far far far less likely.)

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
At least he isn't running away until next year.

On the other hand, he is now spending his first vacation day filing an amended vacation notice because he couldn't file the first one without fucking up.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Mr Dunford seems a little intoxicated so his uh breakdown of this notice is maybe not as nuanced as usual.
Very funny though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Reading the comments from the ANN article and it's corresponding tweet..... Lots of "why aren't you telling everyone that Monica/Ron still have to pay a lot of money to their lawyer since he didn't get awarded all his fees!"

Guess some stans are finally dropping the pretense that this was about "justice for Vig" and more about attempting to hurt the wallets of the defendants for.....well.....trying to defend themselves. They don't seem to care that Vig still has to pay all that money somehow.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the comments from the ANN article and it's corresponding tweet..... Lots of "why aren't you telling everyone that Monica/Ron still have to pay a lot of money to their lawyer since he didn't get awarded all his fees!"

Guess some stans are finally dropping the pretense that this was about "justice for Vig" and more about attempting to hurt the wallets of the defendants for.....well.....trying to defend themselves. They don't seem to care that Vig still has to pay all that money somehow.

Its basically the only "win" they can claim considering every other aspect of this debacle.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

"Um, EXCUSE ME, but why didn't ANN report on that Rooster Teeth guy? Also, Beard did nothing wrong with filing an early appeal and Chupp messed it up."

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew it wouldn't be long for Vig's repulsive fans to claim they won because they lost in such spectacular way and as such it makes them the winners somehow rofl.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it wouldn't be long for Vig's repulsive fans to claim they won because they lost in such spectacular way and as such it makes them the winners somehow rofl.

Vic could have killed himself and they would have been like,"Well he didn't shoot himself in the face so he can still have an open casket. Take that Monica!"

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
"Um, EXCUSE ME, but why didn't ANN report on that Rooster Teeth guy? Also, Beard did nothing wrong with filing an early appeal and Chupp messed it up."

Stans thinking that the Rooster Teeth VP guy is in anyway comparable to Vig is just...... What? I don't understand what through line is... The only thing the two had in common was that they used to have employment at Rooster Teeth and now they don't. Somehow this sets a double standard.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This whole #tigerblood winning rant the Vic stans still go on is quite something but I am glad that it exposed people in the anime/gaming sphere for who they truly are. The Residence of Evil Youtube channel for example. They took significant time out of their interview with Dante´s actor when the DMC V came out to try and convert him to their side. The interviews with the Capcom related actors they get are quite good but it sucks that I have to listen to apologists of a sexual predator (this shoe has been dropping for years) who thinks that the legal system should revolve around him/them.
The whole "feminism has gone too far, they now turned men into the victim class" thing (vomit) equally keeps creeping up every time they pretend to agree that Vic may have done something wrong after the verdicts. Basically every site even tangentially related to this is covering the Vic-tanic so shit is only getting louder. The well is beyond poisoned by now.

Stay away from the ANN comments. You may be able to meet your´s truly ;-) and the Vic-related talk has finally become somewhat sane but the boards are still an absolute battlefield of reality on nearly all topics.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stay away from the ANN comments. You may be able to meet your´s truly ;-) and the Vic-related talk has finally become somewhat sane but the boards are still an absolute battlefield of reality on nearly all topics.
All I got to say is, thank you for your hard work. It's infuriating just reading the garbage these idiots spout excusing the rapist and blaming the victims, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to have discussion with them without just telling them to fuck off with their bullshit.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. Not gonna put the tweet up because it describes some horrible shit, but what Greg mentions here is just vomit inducing in every goddamn way.

With that and the recent "well Hitler was a hero from a certain perspective" posts, I am amazed at what these people can type out while still thinking they are fighting a heroic battle.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. Not gonna put the tweet up because it describes some horrible shit, but what Greg mentions here is just vomit inducing in every goddamn way.

With that and the recent "well Hitler was a hero from a certain perspective" posts, I am amazed at what these people can type out while still thinking they are fighting a heroic battle.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Holy shit this is some truly sickening shit.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Shane has apparently been going hard on this and even KF are going "Nope!"

How in the holy fuck is this a thing? I mean, sadly horrible people exist, but then trying to say they are fine people and supporting them, while claiming people speaking out against a sexual predator are evil lying bitches just makes my brain hurt.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Shane has apparently been going hard on this and even KF are going "Nope!"
I'm not surprised. Even the few Vigstans that are "taking the L"* are still spinning this as "at least we won't defend actual pedos when they get found out, unlike KV" while constantly pointing at Shane and his marriage.

*(aside: wtf is this competition bullshit. This isn't a "win" for some perceived opposing side. It's a garbage situation and reducing it to some tally is all sorts of messed up.)

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The tweet right above that one is another quote from a Stan claiming that a quarter of a million is $400k.

............Gawdamn.

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
The tweet right above that one is another quote from a Stan claiming that a quarter of a million is $400k.

............Gawdamn.
That's the type of person, when you offer them a third of the loot they go: "NO WAY! I want at least a quarter! or maybe even a fifth!"

...because higher numbers are always more, right?