• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Greg's take on this latest filing is that it's primarily to try and get higher fees and sanctions on appeal if Chupp lowballs them rather than being directed at Chupp himself.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to watch KF and vicstans call Chupp biased when Chupp gave Percy and Vig a gift. It's probably what should have come out of mediation in the first place.
When considering that if he doesn't appeal, he may drain the entire GFM but can walk away, it should be over if Vig was smart.
There's nothing left in the GFM. Ty has billed it out to hell and back.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When considering that if he doesn't appeal, he may drain the entire GFM but can walk away, it should be over if Vig was smart.

But there ain't no stopping this train

The GFM account is long since empty I'm sure.

In the end I'm glad he decided to sue.

If he done the smart thing and just hired a PR firm to let him go into hiding for a little bit push some positive stories about him in the press, he probably would already be back to voice acting in various places.

This way he's basically blacklisted from any reputable company.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
So ignoring expenses awarded, sanctions awarded and additional payments if its appealed and just looking at attorney related fees asked for originally and awarded, Funimation asked for 167K and got 50K, Marchi asked for 48K and got 48K and Monica and Ron asked for 271K and got 100K, correct?

Feels like this is gonna hit Monica and Ron fairly hard if that's the final tally then assuming I'm looking at the right numbers and their lawyer is actually billing them for that full amount.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
The sanctions are disappointingly low. It's a shame that they couldn't convince the judge of the significance of the GFM. I feel like this is yet another case of law not catching up to technology.

This also means that by filing this lawsuit, Vic managed to hurt the defendants financially. I mean, sure, he took a much bigger hit, but the point of these right-wing fueled hate campaigns is to cause as much pain to the person on the other side as possible, even if it means (figuratively) setting themselves on fire.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The other thing too is that unless Lemoine was over posturing, Rial and Toye are still going to have a big bill for this. Not as big as Vic's, but still something...

Funimation will likely eat the costs and will never hire Vig ever again for this (and this comes to the reality of litigation; you still may owe even for defending yourself from BS claims; and for a business, who the fuck is going to hire someone who will sue your employer making them expend some time and cost?) Word of this will get around and Vic might be done in the dubbing world for this alone, not even touching all the other lunacy that came out about this suit

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I believe there has already been talk about Rial and Toye having the suit covered by insurance. Not entirely sure how that works, but certainly hope so.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

Important thing to consider.

Vic could walk away here.

That would be the smart thing.

That said, Vic hasn't done anything smart in this whole debacle.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Feels like this is gonna hit Monica and Ron fairly hard if that's the final tally then assuming I'm looking at the right numbers and their lawyer is actually billing them for that full amount.

From what I understand a lot of lawyers will call it a wash at that point. They got paid a large chunk of their fees for something like this that usually just let the defendants off the hook for the rest

Oct 25, 2017
You know what the dumbest part is? We could have avoided all this.
Vic could have taken his termination like a champ, go underground for a year, then come back once the heat died down. How many celebs went through similar scandals, vanished and then came back like nothing happened?
But no, he listened to a grifter, and even on the advice of the successful business CEO telling him it's a bad idea, he still sued. Now nobody is going to hire him, he'll never attend major conventions (he's lucky to get dying malls now) and now he's going to lose a ton of money.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Vic could have taken his termination like a champ, go underground for a year, then come back once the heat died down. How many celebs went through similar scandals, vanished and then came back like nothing happened?
But no, he listened to a grifter, and even on the advice of the successful business CEO telling him it's a bad idea, he still sued. Now nobody is going to hire him, he'll never attend major conventions (he's lucky to get dying malls now) and now he's going to lose a ton of money.
Yup, could have just gone dark and do some serious self reflection (lol yeah right) and would have been MUCH better off

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, if anything good came out of this whole lawsuit it's that Vig has effectively salted the earth of his career. None of the big companies are going to want to work with him after this.

I hope it was worth it, Vig. Now go rot somewhere.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Besides the Schadenfreude of watching a predator and a pair of idiots self destruct. It is also deeply satisfying to know I have never been "I lost myself half a million for nothing" level stupid.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the Schadenfreude of watching a predator and a pair of idiots self destruct. It is also deeply satisfying to know I have never been "I lost myself half a million for nothing" level stupid.

If he does nothing, he'll only lose $250,000 (and if the GFM truly did run out, in all likelihood Vic's on the hook, so he better start looking for malpractice attorneys).

Screen and VicStans may start saying "well Vic was just fighting an injustice!!" but no one, ever, should be in the position where they can only say "I won negative $250,000 at best in a lawsuit I BROUGHT."

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If he does nothing, he'll only lose $250,000 (and if the GFM truly did run out, in all likelihood Vic's on the hook, so he better start looking for malpractice attorneys).

Screen and VicStans may start saying "well Vic was just fighting an injustice!!" but no one, ever, should be in the position where they can only say "I won negative $250,000 at best in a lawsuit I BROUGHT."

Amended:
Play stupid games, lose A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS in lawyers' fees and sanctions.

Oct 8, 2019
Just checking ISWV on twitter and they are all celebrating at what a huge victory it is for vic to have won -$250,000 dollars, Vic might have been looking for his job back, and money for being fired but no job, and -250,000 dollars is just as good because Vic was fighting for justice. Also if you ignore Ty Beard's attorney fees then the GFM account will cover it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking ISWV on twitter and they are all celebrating at what a huge victory it is for vic to have won -$250,000 dollars, Vic might have been looking for his job back, and money for being fired but no job, and -250,000 dollars is just as good because Vic was fighting for justice. Also if you ignore Ty Beard's attorney fees then the GFM account will cover it.
10402dce-e738-4bdc-90ba-fd4005c2c9a8_text_hi.gif

LOL I think the sun has melted that shit a while ago.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to appeal to be honest, give his fans more false hope and then make the final fall as hard as possible.
Greg Doucette seems to think there's a pretty good chance that a counter appeal would undo a lot of Chupp's fee reduction for the defendants so, yeah I kinda hope it happens too. Give those defendants the money they deserve.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rooting for Prejudice in the Yeti cup.

It just shows just how fucking stupid these people are.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Beard ends up having to change his law practice's name after all this is said and done.

What a monumental way to own yourself over the course of this whole thing.

Not that I feel bad at all lol.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is their ability to appeal the fees/sanctions awarded dependent on Vic appealing or is it just not worth it at that point if he doesn't appeal? The way Chupp determined the fees awarded seems kind of shitty.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So is their ability to appeal the fees/sanctions awarded dependent on Vic appealing or is it just not worth it at that point if he doesn't appeal? The way Chupp determined the fees awarded seems kind of shitty.
I think appeals courts would look unfavourably on their request if they make the appeal themselves but I think they can if they want? It's just bad a look to go "Hey we didn't get enough money thanks" even if it's accurate.

It seems unlikely to me that Vic will not appeal though, he's pretty fucking stupid.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to the ruling is a bit more muted than expected. Somehow "everyone" wins, not including anyone with any financial involvement of course. Just all the onlookers feeling vindicated to a degree.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Beard ends up having to change his law practice's name after all this is said and done.

What a monumental way to own yourself over the course of this whole thing.

Not that I feel bad at all lol.

He already did. It was BHBH to begin with. Then the senator fella noped straight outta there, and it is now BHBC.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious so I went to the other site to see what they thought..... that was a mistake, " He's innocent!!!"

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah they might as well be KotakuInAction 2.0 because holy fuck these are some takes

Its been fascinating to see them go from "These people are going to be in Jail, Toei's going to pull Dragonball from Funimation, and Toei's going to give it to Vic for his new dubbing studio" to "Well Vic only lost 250,000 dollars, and Funimation and Monica lost a bunch of money so that's a win for us"

They just don't want to admit that the guy who has a history of being a sex pest, and has asked his fans to defend him maybe isn't a victim of a conspiracy involving the voice actress for Bulma (the main female lead of Dragonball) being jealous of Vic because he got to voice Broly (a character who appears in a couple of movies). Like they will move any goal post to justify the idea that "they are winning". No matter how much Ty Beard and Nick bungle the case, they are still super lawyers who are experts at law.