• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
what kinda of lawyer aims for appeal? It is like going to a doctor that aims to beat cancer after it reappears after remission

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
what kinda of lawyer aims for appeal? It is like going to a doctor that aims to beat cancer after it reappears after remission

Unless they are trying to get some ground-breaking case to the US Supreme Court, no lawyer *aims* for appeal as their go-to option. Ideally, you want the Judge to rule in your favor because appellate courts are courts of *review* (the VicStans need to get it through their heads that no new evidence comes in), and usually defer to the lower courts on questions of fact most times (and in situations of questions of law, you still have the chance that you'll create some hella bad law).

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I find it hilarious that any of these chuds are talking about boycotting as if they'd miss one precious second of Dragon Ball or My Hero Academia.
A lot of them don't give a shit about anime, they're just on board for the harassment.

It's super easy to boycott something you don't care about.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Look how upset Toei is, taking that DB license away from Funimation and condemning the VA's Vic sued.

Oh wait. No, no. It's actually the total opposite of that. Big oops.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
The salt in the replies lol.

Many people who are wishing positive comments and don't even know about the Vic stuff are getting called out by the ISWV crowd shouting 'appeals' 'destroyed an innocence man's career' '#worstbulma' and more.

Oh and one saying that appeals court doesn't favour the left. Yeah, a political term being used for court. Just lol.

I do feel bad for Monica Rial to have to put up with all this but she has a great support network at least ^^

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Look how upset Toei is, taking that DB license away from Funimation and condemning the VA's Vic sued.

Fair warning y'all, the replies contain more than your daily recommended amount of sodium.

I love how this just shits all over their conspiracy theories about Toei being pissed and wanting Monica gone.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they are trying to get some ground-breaking case to the US Supreme Court, no lawyer *aims* for appeal as their go-to option. Ideally, you want the Judge to rule in your favor because appellate courts are courts of *review* (the VicStans need to get it through their heads that no new evidence comes in), and usually defer to the lower courts on questions of fact most times (and in situations of questions of law, you still have the chance that you'll create some hella bad law).
Maybe they do want to go all the way to the SCOTUS, hey with the current lineup Vic would have a lot more sympathizers than he should

Sep 14, 2019
I still don't understand how his fans think this is a conspiracy. Okay, I do... But you get what I mean...

There are comments and posts online that are at least a decade old.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how his fans think this is a conspiracy. Okay, I do... But you get what I mean...

There are comments and posts online that are at least a decade old.
People literally craft their own world with their own internal logic. They ignore and discard anything that challenges the logic. There is a great documentary on netflix about Flat Earth that I think gives a great view of people like this.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Chef kiss.

And it's even more hilarious when some of these idiots go "I'm watching subs to own Toei and the libs!".
You fucking idiots Toei makes money either you watch subbed or dubbed.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Yeeeah... I've got a feeling there aren't going to be any appeals, or if there are they won't be with Beard and Nick.
I don't think there's any lawyer that will want to take the appeal if it's not Ty. Whipple mentioned that Ty is right in saying that switching lawyers for the appeal would probably be a problem for Vic although not because he'll be missing out on Ty's "superior knowledge of war history".

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Just when we thought we had seen the last clown car crash:

giphy.gif

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the lawyer friends I've talked to, even in law school they hammer it into them that you never want to be in a position where you need to bring a case to the appeals court.

Appeal judges are way more strict and need some very clear evidence that the previous judge made a procedural mistake or something like that. In fact, there are lawyers that specifically specialize in appeals because of how much harder and complicated bringing a case to a higher court is.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These fake fan dumb motherfuckers would turn on Akira Toriyama before they turn on the voice of a shitty one-note, barely-canon "appeal to edge kids" character.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
And so that finally happens. That will be the second (at least) complaint against Beard, since one of the lawyers who got doxxed by KF also submitted a complaint, since Beard was on record asking for for them to make his life miserable:

Not entirely sure what the chances are of that leading to something. But when it comes to people complaining about Beard, the more the merrier, I guess.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be some kind of disciplinary action for Beard. No professional, especially in the field of law, should be able to send rabid shitgibbons to harass their opponents and not face consequences for it.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost certain this poster don't watch anime. Same for a lot of Vic fans bombing Toei's twitter.

Which is one of the frustrating things about the whole conversation. Constantly hearing things about "the anime community" defending Mignogna. When so many of victsans don't even watch anime, they're right wing cultural carpet baggers.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be some kind of disciplinary action for Beard. No professional, especially in the field of law, should be able to send rabid shitgibbons to harass their opponents and not face consequences for it.

He forged signatures for the affidavits. I can't imagine he gets away from that.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is one of the frustrating things about the whole conversation. Constantly hearing things about "the anime community" defending Mignogna. When so many of victsans don't even watch anime, they're right wing cultural carpet baggers.

I have seen posts from the anime community of people who are glad that Vic lost his lawsuit and hopes that everything that was brought up in the lawsuit will destroy his professional life and he won't be put on any other major voice acting projects and not invited to conventions in the future.

Being a part of the anime community since at least 1999, I've consistently heard about Vic and his sexual harassment of women and girls since I started attending Otakon in 2001. I actually have friends who personally told me that they were harassed constantly by Vic whenever Vic spotted them at conventions, the reason why they didn't report it was because they were scared that Vic would retaliate by getting his fan club to harass, dox and SWAT them.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have friends who personally told me that they were harassed constantly by Vic whenever Vic spotted them at conventions, the reason why they didn't report it was because they were scared that Vic would retaliate by getting his fan club to harass, dox and SWAT them.

And now we know that not only was that likely, but we can add lawsuit to that list.

I still haven't entirely gotten over the insanity of this whole thing, and seeing Vicstans denial of reality after the ruling, just adds an extra layer of "be fucking careful out there."

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And now we know that not only was that likely, but we can add lawsuit to that list.

I still haven't entirely gotten over the insanity of this whole thing, and seeing Vicstans denial of reality after the ruling, just adds an extra layer of "be fucking careful out there."

Well hopefully this lawsuit will cause Vic to be poor and he can't afford to file anymore lawsuits, according to the Anime News Network article about Vic's court loss, anyone who loses a TCPA case will be fined an amount that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions...":

Judge John P. Chupp dismissed all of voice actor Vic Mignogna's case against voice actress Monica Rial, Rial's fiance Ron Toye, and Funimation in Tarrant County District Court on Friday. The court dismissed Mignogna's five remaining claims against the defendants, for a total of 17 dismissed claims between Friday's ruling and a ruling on September 6. Mignogna's remaining case had alleged that Rial and Toye engaged in defamation and civil conspiracy against the Fullmetal Alchemist voice actor and that anime licensing company Funimation defamed him.

The court found that all causes of action against all defendants asserted by Mignogna were based on, related to, or were in response to the defendants' right to free speech, the right to petition, or the right to association under the Texas Citizens Participation Act (TCPA), the state's measure to protect against SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) lawsuits. In addition, communications related to Mignogna's causes of action related to a public concern, and the communications involved allegations of conduct by Mignogna that relate to health and safety, environmental, economic, or community well-being. The court also found that Mignogna had failed to establish, by clear and specific evidence, a prima facie case for each element of defamation, tortious interference with existing contracts, tortious interference with prospective business relations, and civil conspiracy against all defendants, as well as vicarious liabilty against Funimation.

When a defendant successfully invokes the TCPA during a lawsuit, the plaintiff must pay court costs, attorney fees, and other expenses resulting from defending against the lawsuit. The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions..."

The defendants will be able to submit evidence to the court to support claims for attorney fees, costs, and other expenses and an appropriate sanction against Mignogna within the next 30 days.

Judge Chupp dismissed all of Vic Mignogna's case against voice actress Jamie Marchi on September 6 as well as Mignogna's case of tortious interference of existing contracts and tortious interference of business relations allegations against Rial and Toye on September 6. Chupp also dismissed Mignogna's allegations that Funimation participated in tortious interference and civil conspiracy on September 6.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Well hopefully this lawsuit will cause Vic to be poor and he can't afford to file anymore lawsuits, according to the Anime News Network article about Vic's court loss, anyone who loses a TCPA case will be fined an amount that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions...":

Yeah the sanctions will be interesting.

But even just him having to cover the defenses legal bills will be huge. I believe the Dallas News article casually threw half a mill out there. And for context, Nick has already mentioned on his LiveScreech that the $250K would be gone well before any sanctions could happen. Remember Beardo brought like 4 lawyers from his firm to pretty much every court appearance so far. All of them billing. So if plaintiffs lawyers alone cost quarter of a million, and Vic is on the hook for 3 legal teams, that alone could be fun. Even before we get to the sanctions part.

The law says "reasonable" fees. And Beardos team seems to be unreasonable high priced. Especially considering their performance.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the sanctions will be interesting.

But even just him having to cover the defenses legal bills will be huge. I believe the Dallas News article casually threw half a mill out there. And for context, Nick has already mentioned on his LiveScreech that the $250K would be gone well before any sanctions could happen. Remember Beardo brought like 4 lawyers from his firm to pretty much every court appearance so far. All of them billing. So if plaintiffs lawyers alone cost quarter of a million, and Vic is on the hook for 3 legal teams, that alone could be fun. Even before we get to the sanctions part.

The law says "reasonable" fees. And Beardos team seems to be unreasonable high priced. Especially considering their performance.

Yep, Beard's law firm website claims that they "offer its clients experienced advocacy for all their legal needs" and that "Founders Ty Beard and Don Harris have assembled a team of lawyers who are leaders in their individual practice areas." This was clearly not the case whatsoever with them trying to defend Vic:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Beard's law firm website claims that they "offer its clients experienced advocacy for all their legal needs" and that "Founders Ty Beard and Don Harris have assembled a team of lawyers who are leaders in their individual practice areas." This was clearly not the case whatsoever with them trying to defend Vic:

Even better than that, he (Beardo) actually put in his personal bio that he was an expert in defamation, until law twitter pointed out that it could lead to huge problems if it ever came to a malpractice lawsuit. Then it disappeared rather fast. The are screenshots of before and after somewhere in the Threadnought.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Oh wow, I checked the other day and the comments were free of any crazy comments but now the Vic Stans really invaded that thread.

So Vic lost. All hope is lost. Buuuttttttt......Rooster Teeth is burning down to the ground, Rial, Marchi, and company been outed as two-faced, lying horrible human beings, Sabat is employing a casting couch, Funimation been revealed to be a horrible place to work at and don't care about it's fans, and Toei might step in and take the license away.

So yeah. Vic lost but Rial and her goon squad lost WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY more than him.

LOOOOOOOOL

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even better than that, he (Beardo) actually put in his personal bio that he was an expert in defamation, until law twitter pointed out that it could lead to huge problems if it ever came to a malpractice lawsuit. Then it disappeared rather fast. The are screenshots of before and after somewhere in the Threadnought.

Beard's bio here needs updating:

https://beardandharris.com/ty-beard.html

Practice Areas

Defamation

Tortious Interference

Business Litigation

Business Transactions

Mergers and Acquisitions

Estate Planning

Private Equity Transactions

Strategic Planning and Structuring

Conflict Negotiation

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the lesson learned from this lawsuit is is to hire lawyers from the Texas law firms that represented the defendants, NOT the plaintiff:

Mignogna was represented by Ty Beard of Beard Harris Bullock Hughes and An Lee Hsu of the Martinez Hsu law firm. Marchi was represented by Sam Johnson of Johnson Sparks. Rial and Toye were represented by J. Sean Lemoine and Ethan Minshull of Wick Phillips, Casey S. Erick of Cowles & Thompson, and Andrea Perez of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal. Funimation was represented by John Volney of Lynn Pinker Cox & Hurst.