• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's one of those things I'm willing to bet Toei might have told Sabat not to do again, but it's not something I think Toei would be terribly concerned over.

Hell, I'm willing to bet even the chuds realized this considering how they're not squawking over it.

Speaking of the chuds...

Why are they all 919 area code?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Ehhhh...don't be so sure. Toei's lawyers are EXTREMELY protective of Sean's Goku voice, to the point at which Sean generally shuts people down whenever they ask him to do the voice in any situation where he might be recorded because the Goku voice is basically Toei's property.

Vegeta may be a slightly different scenario, or Sean may just be using "Toei will be mad at me" as an excuse to not do the voice in public because he's a bit of an ass, but there is at least a history of the IP holders being extremely protective of Dragonball character voices.

I'm gonna go with Sean being an ass as, while I can't find them now because typing Chis Sabat into YouTube gets you mostly conVic videos now, I know he's been doing Vegeta sketches and voices at his panels for years.

Hell he even did the "over 9000s" joke with Takahashi 101 at a con once. Now if anything was going to piss off Toei it would be praising Dragon Ball Z Abridged at a convention and then doing a meme skit with one of TeamFourStar in front of an audience.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ehhhh...don't be so sure. Toei's lawyers are EXTREMELY protective of Sean's Goku voice, to the point at which Sean generally shuts people down whenever they ask him to do the voice in any situation where he might be recorded because the Goku voice is basically Toei's property.

Vegeta may be a slightly different scenario, or Sean may just be using "Toei will be mad at me" as an excuse to not do the voice in public because he's a bit of an ass, but there is at least a history of the IP holders being extremely protective of Dragonball character voices.

Not sure since I have seen Sean used his Goku voice in Cons. Unless they mean he can't do anything OOC with Goku's voice, and even that's stretching since I've seen Sean used his Goku's voice to call Chichi a bitch.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
I think they would have -really cared- if the guy was running for President. I don't think it's really something they care about but I'm not a lawyer and I'm not an IP lawyer.

Nov 3, 2017
Are we even sure he has a law degree? I know he's not a member of a bar, and I seem to recall someone mentioning that he couldn't find any record that Screech got his degree.

He shows enough understanding that I'm willing to bet he has at least some exposure to law school, if not a degree. The way he conducts his...research, such as citing head notes rather than orbiter dicta, reminds me of weaker students or at least those who just haven't put in the work.

Like his whole conduct reminds me of law students who don't actually know that much, but knows just enough that with confidence and bluster, they seem convincing to lay people

How would that have helped Vic anyway?

None of this was ever about helping Vic. It's about threatening and isolating women in nerd spaces and their supporters. It's telling people that hordes of basement dwellers will dig through years of personal history to find anything they can to hurt you

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

might just be as simple as they have different contracts... i know nintendo put a clause in the 3 main house leads in FE that they can't spoof the voice in non-game stuff, but apparently other VOs are fine to just do whatever vids they feel like

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
might just be as simple as they have different contracts... i know nintendo put a clause in the 3 main house leads in FE that they can't spoof the voice in non-game stuff, but apparently other VOs are fine to just do whatever vids they feel like

That is probably the case. They can used their voices freely in Cons, since even the JP VAs can when they visit, but Sean can't used his Goku's voice on something like TFS for example.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
They spoof the area code
I'm gonna go with Sean being an ass as, while I can't find them now because typing Chis Sabat into YouTube gets you mostly conVic videos now, I know he's been doing Vegeta sketches and voices at his panels for years.

Hell he even did the "over 9000s" joke with Takahashi 101 at a con once. Now if anything was going to piss off Toei it would be praising Dragon Ball Z Abridged at a convention and then doing a meme skit with one of TeamFourStar in front of an audience.

I mean, Toei is the same company that went out of their way to pull a recording of the TFS actors in that one DBZ Kai episode so I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically singled them out as not being something Sean is allowed to replicate with the Goku.

And unlike Eric Stuart with YGO Abridged, it's not like Sean has ever gone on record trashing the series either.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's definitely possible they're only protective of Goku and not Vegeta. Goku is essentially a mascot, good chance that someone not into anime isn't going to know who Vegeta even is, while people definitely know Goku on the same level they know Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pikachu, Hello Kitty, and Mario.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
EFCa-X-z-W4-AEm-Czc.jpg

Country

Relationship

Issues!

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A certain court case gets brought up in this LegalEagle + H. Bomberguy video, regarding being libel-proof. Happens around 7:30.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
"Dominique is impersonating Toei and that's a horrible thing to do and could have massive repercussions in the relationship between Japan and America! Someone should report her and make her life horrible!"

#ISWV btw

Keen

Oct 29, 2017
The Dragon Ball Z t-shirt I see in Epcot in Disney World disagrees. Heck, I got several Goku t-shirt from the Japanese store there.

Mickey and Donald are on another level. In no way is Goku even close to as well known, worldwide, and across age groups, as those characters.

Lol at international incident! These people have no concept of reality.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Mickey and Donald are on another level. In no way is Goku even close to as well known, worldwide, and across age groups, as those characters.

Yeah, as a purely anecdotal example, I tried to introduce my friend to Fighterz (he didn't like it because he seems to just dislike pretty much anything animated), and he had never heard of Goku. Neither would people like my parents or others not really interested in DB. Goku is very famous, but he's famous in the sense of being the lead of an anime that broke into a wider audience than just anime fans. Whether or not somebody knows of him is still predicated pretty strongly on whether they like Dragon Ball, while characters like Mickey, Donald and Mario are known by everyone regardless of their entertainment interests.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

While true, Dragon Ball as a franchise took a giant jump in popularity since 2015 and when Super was running, often hit #1 on Twitter worldwide. I mean, the two hour special managed to shutdown at least three streaming sites for hours.

Yeah, as a purely anecdotal example, I tried to introduce my friend to Fighterz (he didn't like it because he seems to just dislike pretty much anything animated), and he had never heard of Goku. Neither would people like my parents or others not really interested in DB. Goku is very famous, but he's famous in the sense of being the lead of an anime that broke into a wider audience than just anime fans. Whether or not somebody knows of him is still predicated pretty strongly on whether they like Dragon Ball, while characters like Mickey, Donald and Mario are known by everyone regardless of their entertainment interests.

That is kind of a downplay since Dragon Ball as a franchise makes more money than Barbie. That and using anecdotal example, I know people who know who Goku is even if they never watched a single episode of Dragon Ball or only knows it as that show with the dudes with the spiky hair. Also helped that he was in the Marcy parade last year and Smash Brothers fans keep asking for him.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

You mean America.

Because literally everybody in europe (bar scandinavian lands) and asia knows Dragon Ball and Goku's face. Granted they may not recall his name depending on the age group, but they know him. There are a ton of people who thought it was just a dumb and violent cartoon for kids but they still knew of it. You couldn't escape it.
It was far bigger than any comics over there.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You mean America.

Because literally everybody in europe (bar scandinavian lands) and asia knows Dragon Ball and Goku's face. Granted they may not recall his name depending on the age group, but they know him. There are a ton of people who thought it was just a dumb and violent cartoon for kids but they still knew of it. You couldn't escape it.
It was far bigger than any comics over there.
I can guarantee that my 92 year old Austrian grandmother knows Mickey Mouse, and so does my co-workers 3 year old daughter. And my co-worker.
I'm 99% certain none of these people would have any idea who Goku is, and I'm fairly certain they have never even seen him before.
It is/was not bigger than Mickey Mouse, who literally everyone knows.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can guarantee that my 92 year old Austrian grandmother knows Mickey Mouse, and so does my co-workers 3 year old daughter. And my co-worker.
I'm 99% certain none of these people would have any idea who Goku is, and I'm fairly certain they have never even seen him before.
It is/was not bigger than Mickey Mouse, who literally everyone knows.

Ok, add Austria with the cool kids of the scandinavian lands.

If it didn't air in the 90s with a dub and wasn't popular then I see how it's not the case.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely did, haha. Mickey Mouse is just unreachable in his ubiquity.
Do you really know anyone who could look at a drawing of Mickey and Goku and only recognize Goku?

I said in most of europe and asia Dragon Ball is known. Didn't say it was liked or that it was more widespread than mickey. It is super known. It's the posterchild of japanese media.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I said in most of europe and asia Dragon Ball is known. Didn't say it was liked or that it was more widespread than mickey. It is super known. It's the posterchild of japanese media.
I agree, but you were disagreeing with people who (as I interpreted it) just said that Mickey is more known/on another level, which I think is true.
Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but you were disagreeing with people who (as I interpreted it) just said that Mickey is more known/on another level, which I think is true.
Anyway, sorry for the derail.

I wanted to clarify that you can be less known that Mickey and remain an icon, the state of manga in America is different than the rest of the world because they jumped on very late and comics were so strong already.

So in America I understand why DBZ is a little thing (that keeps growing), all things considered.

In Europe (bar a few select countries that obviously dodged the anime craze of the 90s) and Asia, DBZ is absolutely known to a majority of the population.
Unlike Mickey it's not always seen in a positive light of course, and grand parents wouldn't know the name of "goku" but they would associate his face with the name "dragon ball". I have yet to meet anybody in the past 15 years that hasn't even heard of it. It's that big over here.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
... I certainly hadn't meant to derail the thread. My bad if I was overly specific and wrong in that specificity. Point was more "Goku mascot, Vegeta not". But it could just be Sean's a dick lol.

A certain court case gets brought up in this LegalEagle + H. Bomberguy video, regarding being libel-proof. Happens around 7:30.
Oh wow.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Add in Africa as well, I remember my mom telling me once to switch away from DBZ because it was too violent and that "she liked the show more when he (Goku) was small".

Eraser Head

Aug 22, 2019
Oregon
Now some ConVics are comparing Vic's situation to the murder of Emmett Till and Jim Crow era laws:

This is Fox News levels of "We're the real victims here" whenever a tragedy occurs here or aboard. Usually because their rhetoric often leads to it or their names winds up in the perpetrator's manifesto.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Now some ConVics are comparing Vic's situation to the murder of Emmett Till and Jim Crow era laws:

This is Fox News levels of "We're the real victims here" whenever a tragedy occurs here or aboard. Usually because their rhetoric often leads to it or their names winds up in the perpetrator's manifesto.
Oh they've been doing this since February at least, I'm not shocked they're reusing content. Grift mill running dry. Need to use the victimization of a black boy at the hands of white supremacy to justify harassing people who want to hold a sex pest bully white man to account.

At least they're not pulling the "he's Sicillian so technically, maybe, he might possibly be part black" shit they did at the time.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019
Oh they've been doing this since February at least, I'm not shocked they're reusing content. Grift mill running dry. Need to use the victimization of a black boy at the hands of white supremacy to justify harassing people who want to hold a sex pest bully white man to account.

At least they're not pulling the "he's Sicillian so technically, maybe, he might possibly be part black" shit they did at the time.

I've had a couple people try to bring this around to the small handful of suicides by people who are "falsely accused" they really didn't have an answer to the question "Should nobody say anything then?" because you don't know what a false accusation is until you look into it. And honestly, those that committed suicide mere weeks after being accused of something... sure as shit had some actual skeletons in their closet to push it that far. People don't just jump to suicide.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Damn. Months ago I was kidding when I said "They'll teach this case as a cautionary tale in law schools across the country."

Seems I might have been right about that.