• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
He also mentioned other cons that Vic was disinvited to, but Beard has no evidence that Funi's staff were the ones who got him disinvited. He just assumed since they got involved in one con, then it's reasonable to assumed they got involved with the other cons disinviting him. The judge didn't buy this since as he pointed out, other people could have called in and raised concerns about Vic since his accusations was all over Twitter. So Beard needed some evidence that showed than Funi's staff got Vic disinvited from other cons instead of just Random Person A. It stands out more since Beard apparently didn't even talked to the other con owners.

Every time I look at his transcript the same phrase keeps coming in to my head: "if only you thought to plead it". You can't just bamboozle people at the hearing in litigation. All sides play with their cards face up.

Even if Percy decides to appeal, what the hell is he going to appeal it with? The record is just so ridiculously thin. Not to mention he should be raked over the coals by the state ethics committee for creating such an incomplete record to begin with. He left so much stuff out that he could have used.

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This transcript is really the gift that keeps on giving.

Like god, the judge was trying to give Beard a potential out there, and he was too stupid/incompetent that even take that much. Like, he's basically making the defense's argument for them there. How did someone like did manage to get licensed and even get this far?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I look at his transcript the same phrase keeps coming in to my head: "if only you thought to plead it". You can't just bamboozle people at the hearing in litigation. All sides play with their cards face up.

I'm reminded of the scene in My Cousin Vinny where Joe Pesci tries getting friendly with the judge in order to dupe him into swiping evidence from the prosecution, and he gets all excited that it worked only for Marisa Tomei to call him a massive idiot for not knowing that all presented evidence from both sides is supposed to be available.

No surprises, Percy.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's so insane.
Beard: [says thing]
Defense: That's a lie
Judge: is that a lie?
Beard: please ignore the evidence that proves it's a lie

I want to hear Charles Dance day "Y'all" lol

Later in that very conversation,

Beard: <Arguing that VA's are a employees, he certainly thinks they are!>
Defense: Affidavit from Vic, he says he's a independent contractor, affidavit from Funi Exec, says their independent contractors.
Beard: Objection, they're not experts on independent contracting!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm reminded of the scene in My Cousin Vinny where Joe Pesci tries getting friendly with the judge in order to dupe him into swiping evidence from the prosecution, and he gets all excited that it worked only for Marisa Tomei to call him a massive idiot for not knowing that all presented evidence from both sides is supposed to be available.

No surprises, Percy.

Your reminder that My Cousin Vinny understood the law better than Percy does.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Your reminder that My Cousin Vinny understood the law better than Percy does.

The scene in question - couldn't get it before because I was mobile:

My Cousin Vinny knowing more than Percy isn't surprising, considering My Cousin Vinny was directed by a law graduate, which the movie's legal accuracy is often attributed to. The surprising bit is apparently none of them - Percy, BFL, even R. Broly - have ever seen the movie once in their entire lives. Like, this is pre-law 101 we're talking about here.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
For those following his thread, Mike Dunford has started part 2 of live tweeting the transcript.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Man,Beard is really bad at this. Even when he's not screwing up definitions his attempts at offense are so feeble.

I ended up reading that filing finishing at like 3am and having to head to my nephews birthday at 8:30 the next morning. So I missed a fair bit. Really enjoying Mike's (rather sober) takes on it. Especially since I think I have a tendency to concentrate on the "funny" bits when reading it myself.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I ended up reading that filing finishing at like 3am and having to head to my nephews birthday at 8:30 the next morning. So I missed a fair bit. Really enjoying Mike's (rather sober) takes on it. Especially since I think I have a tendency to concentrate on the "funny" bits when reading it myself.

Is there a place to watch if you miss the stream?

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, Mike is heading out of the (rather sober)-tag here. Which is understandable, since this entire thing is just amazing.

But still, I love his way of describing these things:

Edit: I wrote somewhere earlier in the thread that I had lowered my standards to being impressed if Beard was able to enter the courtroom without shitting his pants. There more I read, the less sure I am that he met that standard.

Last edited:

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
I've got a passing interest in law and follow various lawtwitter accounts now since they found out about the lawsuit. Sorta like expanding my knowledge by finding HistorianTwitter. Anyway, it's kinda telling when they collectively dunk on your court hearing.

SO many of them are pretty much "If the judge said this to me I'd melt/die/etc"

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a passing interest in law and follow various lawtwitter accounts now since they found out about the lawsuit. Sorta like expanding my knowledge by finding HistorianTwitter. Anyway, it's kinda telling when they collectively dunk on your court hearing.

Ikr? This was never a love of mine. And I cannot say anime was. But it has been wonderful to see lawyer-twitter dunking on this. Sadly they (the chuds) will move on to something else that does not have an ongoing legal case and make other people miserable.

Really fucking hope lawyer twitter keeps this up to some extent.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This one still blows my mind every single time.

Oooooo. Historical twitter. That sounds awesome, any recommends?

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
Oooooo. Historical twitter. That sounds awesome, any recommends?
Kevin M. Kruse is my main go-to and he has a twitter list-thread of others.

God like I don't know why people believe Ty or Nick on these. "I lost these contracts!" "I can't provide those to you they were handshaken." "Names?" "HE SAID IN HIS DEPOSITION WHICH HE PLEAD TO AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO TAKE THESE AS FACT YOUR HONOR"

Like, you got fucking affidavits for these people up to the hearing how the fuck you can only get Stan Dahlin or Slatosch to answer you?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I wrote somewhere earlier in the thread that I had lowered my standards to being impressed if Beard was able to enter the courtroom without shitting his pants. There more I read, the less sure I am that he met that standard.
He might have made it into the court room without shit in his pants, but he certainly left with a pile in his drawers.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Reading the Tweets were great. I thought it was horrible and I'm a layman. Seeing lawyers go 'this is horrible' really brings to light how much Beard screwed up. Seriously, whoever gave him his degree in law needs to asked for their diploma back. And that is if he really got a law license since I'm wondering if he faked it.

And I feel sorry for the judge. He must have been thinking what he did wrong on his life to lead him to this moment.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019
You know... Getting lost in a 2 hour fight with these people on Twitter is really something... I had People tell me that Funimation's stocks are dropping because of the leaks and the casting couch shit and when I post Sony's stock prices actually some of the highest since their crash in the early 2000s they're screeching "I said Funimation! Not Sony! Their Stocks and Subscribers are dropping!" It's never a thought to them that Funimation is not a traded company... It's like... The YouTube people tell them these things and it never enters their mind that they are being lied to... I'd feel bad for them if they weren't so proud of their stupidity.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You know... Getting lost in a 2 hour fight with these people on Twitter is really something... I had People tell me that Funimation's stocks are dropping because of the leaks and the casting couch shit and when I post Sony's stock prices actually some of the highest since their crash in the early 2000s they're screeching "I said Funimation! Not Sony! Their Stocks and Subscribers are dropping!" It's never a thought to them that Funimation is not a traded company... It's like... The YouTube people tell them these things and it never enters their mind that they are being lied to... I'd feel bad for them if they weren't so proud of their stupidity.

As far as I can tell Funimation isn't even on the stock market, so WTF are they talking about?

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I don't get. If the conventions were hostile, why not bring a motion to conduct discovery and compel them to answer under oath. It's like he didn't run his answer against even a cursory list of the elements of the case. The affidavits from JSL are devastating but they are in dispute. All he needed to do is get the con rep on the record saying that we were potentially going to invite Vic, we saw the allegations sent to us by the defendant, and we decided to decline Vic's attendance. Whether the allegations are true or not, Vic has the chance to deny them in his response and the judge has to take the plaintiff's side on questions of fact.

That Percy didn't do that is mind boggling.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I don't get. If the conventions were hostile, why not bring a motion to conduct discovery and compel them to answer under oath. It's like he didn't run his answer against even a cursory list of the elements of the case. The affidavits from JSL are devastating but they are in dispute. All he needed to do is get the con rep on the record saying that we were potentially going to invite Vic, we saw the allegations sent to us by the defendant, and we decided to decline Vic's attendance. Whether the allegations are true or not, Vic has the chance to deny them in his response and the judge has to take the plaintiff's side on questions of fact.

It's more mind boggling you still think they're competent enough to even think that far ahead. ;D

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

It's yet another sign that Percival is either a true believer or has grifted himself so hard he's conned himself into thinking he's one.

Like if he was actually a decent conman he would've done as you said, or if the cons didn't give him that at least spin it to make it sound correlated. It would've been bullshit but it'd at least be an active play.

But instead he's an imbecile so up his own ass he legit believes Funi told all these cons to cancel and then just never saw the need to verify that.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

No surprises, Percy.

My favorite part of this is that Tomei knows about discovery, yet her first reaction is that he stole the files.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019

The reason he didn't is because fucking up here means he may be able to Con Vic into trying an appeal promising that he's got all good so he can make more money. This is about stretching this case and the money train as far as he can go.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
There's a clip of Vic talking about the Threadnought in an armory basement and it's just... He's in for a rude $$$ awakening.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so satisfying to see this creep scammed by these clowns. This is just so mesmerisingly stupid I can't stop following it.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Mike is finishing up tweeting through the transcript, with part 3. Just in case anyone missed it.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Courtesy of /r/ningen
un2hnWp.jpg

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
The arguing of the VicStans is amazing:

If that was the case wouldn't that mean that if Vic lured three 14yo girls to his hotel room, it is rational to infer that he lured *all* the 14yo girls at that con to his hotel room?

Keen

Oct 29, 2017

Disregarding his general fuckupery, I thought there was a stay on discovery for the TCPA hearing. So he couldn't compel them to answer under oath.
But nothing prevented him from talking to them, and he didn't even do that.