• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone put together a video of all of Broly's non-screaming lines in the new movie. I can't find it anymore (probably been taken down by copyright bots). The whole thing was only 2 and a half minutes long, from a 100 minute movie, and some of those lines were cheats like mild grunts or "hmm" or "huh".
I also saw a comparison of screams between Vic and Bin Shimada. Vic sounded completely flat, where as Shimada was savage as hell, and he's older than Vic.
It's not an English thing either. Schemmel and Sabat can scream their hearts out.

EDIT: My point is that even he's credited as the title character, he barely does anything with his voice.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
And then we are now reaching a point where Vic's opinions about anything; be it foods or what fucks up his voice the worst, are entirely irrelevant to the case this is the OT of.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I think Broly's the star. Vic isn't, though, since 99% of Broly's character are the things that happen to him and almost 0% consists of the things he says.

I was going to say something like "nothing that comes out of his mouth is important" except sometimes the things that come out of his mouth are laser beams, which are definitely more important than Vic's voice.
Even without words, Broly was arguably the star more than Goku, Vegeta, and even Frieza.
Ehhh... Beerus and Frieza weren't the stars of BoG and RF. Broly is basically Thanos in Infinity War, a major "villain" that they're building up for something more, but still not the star of the show.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I remember someone put together a video of all of Broly's non-screaming lines in the new movie. I can't find it anymore (probably been taken down by copyright bots). The whole thing was only 2 and a half minutes long, from a 100 minute movie, and some of those lines were cheats like mild grunts or "hmm" or "huh".
I also saw a comparison of screams between Vic and Bin Shimada. Vic sounded completely flat, where as Shimada was savage as hell, and he's older than Vic.
It's not an English thing either. Schemmel and Sabat can scream their hearts out.

EDIT: My point is that even he's credited as the title character, he barely does anything with his voice.

To be fair, screaming a lot takes a lot out of your voice. Something Sean and even Sabat talks about when they say Dragon Ball is the most draining and intense show they work on because you have to do several minutes of continues screaming and even warn people ahead of time that they will lose their voice.

Vic's screams used to be more intense with Broly. But he toned it down in recent years.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ehhh... Beerus and Frieza weren't the stars of BoG and RF. Broly is basically Thanos in Infinity War, a major "villain" that they're building up for something more, but still not the star of the show.

I would ague that Beerus and Frieza were the stars of their respective movies and the same with Thanos in Infinity War,. You can be a 'villain' and the star depending on the narrative. For example, despite being the main villain Guardians of the Galaxy, Ronin wasn't the star since he barely had any scene time or character development.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this comes off as backseat modding. But why the fuck is this thread now a random anime discussion?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this comes off as backseat modding. But why the fuck is this thread now a random anime discussion?
I think it's shifted, but the original point brought up was that the legal literature presents him as the star of the Broly movie, when he's actually pretty replaceable (the character isn't, but the character's dialogue is unimportant to start with).

Ultimately it was probably phrased that way to both satisfy Vic's ego and to present the damage as more severe (he was the star and now he's out of a job!)

Also, ironically, one of Broly's big character development moments in the movie is one that's harmed by having a sexual predator in the role.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's shifted, but the original point brought up was that the legal literature presents him as the star of the Broly movie, when he's actually pretty replaceable (the character isn't, but the character's dialogue is unimportant to start with).

Ultimately it was probably phrased that way to both satisfy Vic's ego and to present the damage as more severe (he was the star and now he's out of a job!)

Also, ironically, one of Broly's big character development moments in the movie is one that's harmed by having a sexual predator in the role.

I am following this more from a point of watching hate groups (starting with GerbilGuitars). Loving and discussing anime has a LOT of other threads going on. This thread is about a legal case, so it would be nice it wasn't turned into a catch'all voice actor thread.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, I saw someone saying that Vic can't sue Beard for malpractice, because it's not about how incompetent Beard is, it's about Beard's incompetence causing Vic to lose a case that he otherwise would have won.

And Vic's case (although serious for the defendants) was always a long shot.

that seems crazy to me - surely Beard's incompetance has driven up Vic's costs by a ridiculous amount? Any competent lawyer would probably just have charged the initial consult fee and said "There's no way in hell you're doing this and winning easily, here's your options"

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I am following this more from a point of watching hate groups (starting with GerbilGuitars). Loving and discussing anime has a LOT of other threads going on. This thread is about a legal case, so it would be nice it wasn't turned into a catch'all voice actor thread.
This thread started out being about Vic and other VA's being outed as sex pests/con creeps/rapists. Everything and everyone being discussed is related to Vic, including how big Broly's role in the movie was.

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty good summary, but this first point in itself is ISWV propaganda designed to make the situation look more vindictive against Vic than it actually was. The timing of this lining up with the release of the new Broly movie was purely coincidence.

The real catalyst behind all this was a significantly less famous figure in the anime convention community getting outed as a serial abuser, and some people choosing to air their laundry about Vic after seeing a similar pile of feces get his comeuppance. It's nothing new - Vic has been at this for literal decades, after all - but this time, it managed to stick.

Thank you. I will amend my post.

However, this is honestly the first I've heard of this other person. Who were they and what did they do?

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
That is what we know, but that is info from Screech. We will probably never see evidence of that or truly know what happened to that money.
If I remember correctly, even Doucette was unsure of Vic being able to touch the GFM funds. Whether or not that is related to a highly likely chance of Ty Beard just billing it to help before October 7th, that's something I'm unclear on. People don't generally get GFM to fund lawsuits.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
EEUuBTEUUAA977M

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I did just realize their his firm's logo being a chess piece is just another case of him being a totally trite military/war games nut though. So thanks for that.

Oct 26, 2017
Based on his performance in the courtroom, I doubt Beard even knows how to play chess.

I'd be surprised if he managed not to swallow any of the pieces.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I will amend my post.

However, this is honestly the first I've heard of this other person. Who were they and what did they do?
Honestly, outside of being the catalyst for this latest round of sharing Vic testimonials, the person was so insignificant in the long run I don't even remember his full name. Dylan K., I think.

It wasn't just Vic either; for a while, a spreadsheet of accused abusers was being passed around. Some people tried to use the spreadsheet to spread unsubstantiated rumors about people they didn't like though, so it's probably for the best it doesn't get talked about much now.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I can't help but hope that when Vic loses this case, the VAs from Funi send this as their condolences.

DnZA1mDWsAA3H4k

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019

Greg apparently got into another podcast thing with the Violet Wanderers; this is a roundtable with MarzGurl and renfamous (who is absolutely savage). They do spend a lot of it talking about the case. I haven't been able to finish it since I'm at work. Talks about the firestorm after the Aug 31 (late filing for Aug 30), the notary fraud etc.

Greg had done a previous podcast with the Violet Wanderers as an interview. I think they did a lot about the Threadnought but also covered a lot of cop cases / lawsuits.

Edit: They talk about the hearing. Greg had texted one of the lawyers there like "is this really as bad as it seems?" The text response was to the effect "This is the worst performance in court I have ever seen."

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Greg apparently got into another podcast thing with the Violet Wanderers; this is a roundtable with MarzGurl and renfamous (who is absolutely savage). They do spend a lot of it talking about the case. I haven't been able to finish it since I'm at work. Talks about the firestorm after the Aug 31 (late filing for Aug 30), the notary fraud etc.

Greg had done a previous podcast with the Violet Wanderers as an interview. I think they did a lot about the Threadnought but also covered a lot of cop cases / lawsuits.

Edit: They talk about the hearing. Greg had texted one of the lawyers there like "is this really as bad as it seems?" The text response was to the effect "This is the worst performance in court I have ever seen."

Got a link?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
While I enjoy the stream so far, I wish they didn't mock the appearance and voice of Beard and the YouTube lawyer. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive, but as someone who was literally bullied all through Elementary school on how I talked and looked, I have no tolerance for these kinds of things. Even if the other side are complete jackasses that does the same.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
They're literally the people who have had such mocking things hurled at them for months. They constantly deride Marzgurl, Greg, and Ren.

Lemoine himself constantly has to announce how West Nile Virus affected him and they use it against him constantly. When you hear it so much, I don't begrudge them insulting the people doing it to the people who have hurled it at them.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
So why do Vicstans want Sabat out?

It's a typical play from the GamerGate/Alt-Right handbook: find someone on the opposing side/someone liked by the opposing side, gin up some sort of controversy involving that person, then scream "He/She/They/It has done the same things as our guy who you despise so why don't you despise your guy! Huh? Huh? HUH? WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY"

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They're literally the people who have had such mocking things hurled at them for months. They constantly deride Marzgurl, Greg, and Ren.

Lemoine himself constantly has to announce how West Nile Virus affected him and they use it against him constantly. When you hear it so much, I don't begrudge them insulting the people doing it to the people who have hurled it at them.

I don't like when the other side does it either and I find it utterly disgusting. And I do agree that they had it coming, especially when I heard those YouTubers mock the accusers' voice.

But that doesn't mean I have to like/agree with what they're doing since it comes off as grade school name calling. I fully admit it's me, but the thing I was always taught is that you don't sink to pond scum level and be the the adult, even when shit is being thrown at you from all directions. Maybe naive, but that's what I think.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
I don't like when the other side does it either and I find it utterly disgusting. And I do agree that they had it coming, especially when I heard those YouTubers mock the accusers' voice.

But that doesn't mean I have to like/agree with what they're doing since it comes off as grade school name calling. I fully admit it's me, but the thing I was always taught is that you don't sink to pond scum level and be the the adult, even when shit is being thrown at you from all directions. Maybe naive, but that's what I think.
It is "immature" but I'm not going to begrudge people who have had to deal with it for months, years even. The people who get dumped on so they get false-flagged into suspensions and being locked out. So long as they're not going to go so far, I don't really care because they've been the ones dealing with the harassment that if they're going to let loose a little that's fine. They're the ones dealing with the harassment for months.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It is "immature" but I'm not going to begrudge people who have had to deal with it for months, years even. The people who get dumped on so they get false-flagged into suspensions and being locked out. So long as they're not going to go so far, I don't really care because they've been the ones dealing with the harassment that if they're going to let loose a little that's fine. They're the ones dealing with the harassment for months.

I do agree on this. It sucks being the adult in the room and it's often not rewarding.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird talking about being the adults in the room when we're comparing one group who is saying mean things to another group who is going through other people's personal history to drag it to online attention, and in some cases making semi-vague threats of gun violence.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's weird talking about being the adults in the room when we're comparing one group who is saying mean things to another group who is going through other people's personal history to drag it to online attention, and in some cases making semi-vague threats of gun violence.

It's no more weird than Obama's presidency where, agreed with him or not, he and his staff for the most part acted the adult, while the other side gave us BS like the Tea Party, Birthers, and who will become Trump supporters. And who can forget everything that was the 2016 election.

Don't forget going to people's convention panels just to scream how their rapist hero is actually 'totally innocent' and other such garbage.

Also not hard to believe when we in the US elected 'grabbed them by the pussy'.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
And where did rising above really get people? I'm not going to tone police the people who were harassed and attacked with mocking insults and decided to pay their attackers in kind or in a session of venting.

Edit: The transcript will be available tonight. Mark Menthenitis (@lawofthegame and who was at the hearing) already has a copy it seems.

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
And where did rising above really get people? I'm not going to tone police the people who were harassed and attacked with mocking insults and decided to pay their attackers in kind or in a session of venting.

Edit: The transcript will be available tonight. Mark Menthenitis (@lawofthegame and who was at the hearing) already has a copy it seems.

Yeah see the tweet from Mike I linked above. It is now pretty close to 1am here, I have to get up and get travelling for a family birthday thing relatively early tomorrow... but I just *can't* bring myself to go to sleep quite yet.

Edit:

I donated and haven't received a link yet.

Editing the edit: And Mike started livetweeting it here: