• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Can someone explain to me how the judge is supposedly bias. I keep reading the Vic fans saying something about Twitter steams that the judge misread or didn't read properly.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how the judge is supposedly bias. I keep reading the Vic fans saying something about Twitter steams that the judge misread or didn't read properly.
They assume that the judge works like it does on TV, and they haven't looked at or read anything related to the case before walking into the room.

Because Vic's side is incompetent and didn't properly introduce evidence for a lot of stuff, seemingly thinking that they could just add it to the hearing as a big twist surprise, they had nothing to show for a lot of cases.
For the stuff they did potentially have stuff for, the judge already looked at it, and didn't care to wait around as they tried to figure out where things were since they weren't prepared at all and the stuff they submitted was a huge mess.

You have a lot of stuff from the bits we have seen where the judge is like "Show me actual evidence to the main claims of your case.
and vic's lawyer is like. "Uh, I don't know where it is, and anyways we have circumstantial evidence. We demand more time."
and the judge being "stop wasting my time." and just ending it there.

it's less bias and more vic's lawyer is so bad he didn't even prepare to present the stuff he obviously was going to be asked about.

Vic lost, so he must be biased.

It's really that simple and ridiculous.

also this :P

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this tweet with Screech saying he doubts there will be any money left in the GFM warchest when time comes to award money to @marchimark.

I wonder if there is a legal argument to be made about that when sanctions roll around. If Dic MigNogget's representation has billed out 240.000$ for that absolute horror show... then damn. It seems the law says reasonable fees, but when sanction time rolls around, I really hope that number comes up a lot. Especially with a x4 at the end.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Thanks for that. Since I haven't been following, most of the information I got, mostly indirectly, have been from Vic fans.

My confusion is on the other charges Vic brought up. Defilement I get, but what's up with the other charges?

Finally, what's this proof that Vic fans claimed to have that Funi was lying, especially Bulma's VA that they have a raging hate boner for?

Edit: I also want to add thanks for this thread so I can directly read what's going on with people going raging fanboy.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Thanks for that. Since I haven't been following, most of the information I got, mostly indirectly, have been from Vic fans.

My confusion is on the other charges Vic brought up. Defilement I get, but what's up with the other charges?

Finally, what's this proof that Vic fans claimed to have that Funi was lying, especially Bulma's VA that they have a raging hate boner for?

Edit: I also want to add thanks for this thread so I can directly read what's going on with people going raging fanboy.

This covers most of it.

This covers the rest

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With reactionaries, it's pretty simple.
Even if they say the sky is blue outside, go outside to check first and expect the sky to be green.
You know the "trust but verify" thing?
With reactionaries, it's more like "don't trust and verify anyway".

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Thanks!

Good lord, Vic's lawyer sucks. WTF were they thinking hiring him? And Vic got him from fans on his GoFund? This has to be a joke. For someone who supposedly come from money, he brought a circus.

Okay, getting pass that, why were only four other named in the lawsuit with Funi? Other VAs also called out Vic including Sabat.

There's also this about the judge from Vic supporters. Please forgive me for bringing this filth here, but I can't properly explain their argument. Promise I won't post another video from them since this was hard for me to watch, but I want as much information so I can stop the misconceptions that Vic fans are pushing. That and their entire rant about a Twitter line lost me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Good lord, Vic's lawyer sucks. WTF were they thinking hiring him? And Vic got him from fans on his GoFund? This has to be a joke. For someone who supposedly come from money, he brought a circus.

Okay, getting pass that, why were only four other named in the lawsuit with Funi? Other VAs also called out Vic including Sabat.

There's also this about the judge from Vic supporters. Please forgive me for bringing this filth here, but I can't properly explain their argument. Promise I won't post another video from them since this was hard for me to watch, but I want as much information so I can stop the misconceptions that Vic fans are pushing. That and their entire rant about a Twitter line lost me.

I guess you could say...

Vic bought a zoo.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I guess you could say...

Vic bought a zoo.

Perfect!

Honestly, Vic deserves what happened to him given that this lawsuit was really half-hearted and half-ass. But I'm happy it happens since it more or less tells me that he did indeed do terrible things.

Which is what I wanted from the lawsuit, the truth one way or another, although I had hoped it wasn't true. But it is what it is.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And like always their arguments make no sense even at face value.
"The judge is biased but he has a chance to turn this over!"
Like if the judge is biased, it's fucked and there's no coming back.
And Vic's next move?
Guy hasn't done shit, it's all the incompetent lolyer who forgot to do his job.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

If you're talking the legal charges, they're:

Defamation - Obviously, accusing the defendants of damaging Vic's reputation with false claims about him.

Tortious interference with existing contracts - Claiming that the defendants caused quantifiable damage to Vic by causing his contracts to be broken or unable to be completed. Presumably regards Vic's contracts with conventions, but that was on Beard to establish.

Tortious interference with prospective business relations- Claiming that the defendants caused quantifiable damage to Vic by preventing him from getting business in the future.

Conspiracy - Claiming that the defendants intentionally worked together for the purpose of doing one of the above.

Vicarious liability - Claiming that Funimation is responsible for the rest of the defendants because they're working on Funimation's behalf or enabled by Funimation to do the above.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to give a good explanation of stupid decision-making; you'd have to be in Ty Beard's head to fully understand what he's thinking and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

That said, it's worth noting that America's generally got huge fetish for free speech and some are even harder about it, so defamation often has additional barriers because the lawmakers really don't want to take action on things that people say. In Texas, you can't act on statements made more than a year ago and you can't act when you haven't tried other ways to resolve the issue like demanding a retraction.

I presume Beard felt that he had the strongest case against these three, but it also introduces the whole "death of a thousand cuts" problem where it's hard to isolate the damage of the defamation to these particular individuals because he's been shrugging off his reputation as a sex predator for so long.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If you're talking the legal charges, they're:

Defamation - Obviously, accusing the defendants of damaging Vic's reputation with false claims about him.

Tortious interference with existing contracts - Claiming that the defendants caused quantifiable damage to Vic by causing his contracts to be broken or unable to be completed. Presumably regards Vic's contracts with conventions, but that was on Beard to establish.

Tortious interference with prospective business relations- Claiming that the defendants caused quantifiable damage to Vic by preventing him from getting business in the future.

Conspiracy - Claiming that the defendants intentionally worked together for the purpose of doing one of the above.

Vicarious liability - Claiming that Funimation is responsible for the rest of the defendants because they're working on Funimation's behalf or enabled by Funimation to do the above.

The Conspiracy and Vicarious liability charges are stupid as hell. Everyone got to together to KickVic instead of him being let go because he was accused of sexual harassment and Funi saw it better to let him go over keeping that liablity around.

That and Funi isn't even the only company to dismiss him. Like, where's the lawsuit against Viz letting him go?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Conspiracy and Vicarious liability charges are stupid as hell. Everyone got to together to KickVic instead of him being let go because he was accused of sexual harassment and Funi saw it better to let him go over keeping that liablity around.

That and Funi isn't even the only company to dismiss him. Like, where's the lawsuit against Viz letting him go?

or RT

I think their intention is that because Funi let him go it chain reactioned into the others letting him go or some nonsense or the defendents go him booted

it doesnt even matter. He's a contractor. Who wasn't even doing anything at the time at Funi. They can't let him go if hes not technically employed

Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget RoosterTeeth. They should be careful with them, they have Michael B. Jordan money now.
Can't wait for the Atlus lawsuit when they bring back Junpei in Persona 5 Arena and don't cast him for the English voice.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I would have to imagine that vicarious liability is kind of an ambulance chaser tactic here. They wanted a payout and Funimation has deeper pockets than just some voice actors, so they try to drag Funimation in. Remember that they asked for over a million dollars including punitive damages (as in forcing the defendants to pay Vic just so that they're punished with a big fine), meaning they want money above and beyond the actual harm caused to Vic.

The flaw with this plan is that by bringing Funimation into the suit, they brought Funimation's money and lawyers into the suit.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Because this was always about culture war against victims speaking out, and a grift to get money.

The first 4 defendents were two women who called him out, the husband of one of the victims and a big company.

They probably figured Funimation would settle to make it go away leaving the other three to settle so they don't go bankrupt.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I would have to imagine that vicarious liability is kind of an ambulance chaser tactic here. They wanted a payout and Funimation has deeper pockets than just some voice actors, so they try to drag Funimation in. Remember that they asked for over a million dollars including punitive damages (as in forcing the defendants to pay Vic just so that they're punished with a big fine), meaning they want money above and beyond the actual harm caused to Vic.

The flaw with this plan is that by bringing Funimation into the suit, they brought Funimation's money and lawyers into the suit.

You don't need Funi's money or lawyers when your lawyer got his law degree over the mail. That and isn't Viz bigger than Funi?

That and the lawyer seems to be trying trial by media by getting people to paint Funi VAs as horrible people running some kind of gang. Even if that's true, Vic is still accused of sexual harassment which got him fired, not being a homophobia or just a general jackass.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Don't forget RoosterTeeth. They should be careful with them, they have Michael B. Jordan money now.
Can't wait for the Atlus lawsuit when they bring back Junpei in Persona 5 Arena and don't cast him for the English voice.
Hilariously enough in black face dude's stream, from the livetweet of that stream anyway, he claims that good strategists study big pockets so Funi was chosen because they were with Sony and Sony is full of cash.
Like lawl

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need Funi's money or lawyers when your lawyer got his law degree over the mail. That and isn't Viz bigger than Funi?

That and the lawyer seems to be trying trial by media by getting people to paint Funi VAs as horrible people running some kind of gang. Even if that's true, Vic is still accused of sexual harassment which got him fired, not being a homophobia or just a general jackass.
There might have been a point where Viz was bigger (not sure) but Funimation = Sony and there is no way Viz is bigger than Sony

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There might have been a point where Viz was bigger (not sure) but Funimation = Sony and there is no way Viz is bigger than Sony
Even worse for the lolyers, they thought that Sony was gonna settle things and just pay but then Sony would have explain why they bought Funi when it proved to be a liability.
So in the end they kinda forced Sony to show that they're not just piñatas to be shake down.

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously enough in black face dude's stream, from the livetweet of that stream anyway, he claims that good strategists study big pockets so Funi was chosen because they were with Sony and Sony is full of cash.
Like lawl

They should have done more research.
Rooster Teeth is owned by Otter Media who are owned byyyyyyyy Warner Media!

But yeah, so much incompetence.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Even they realised they didn't have a case against RoosterTeeth. Their logic is that RT's statement for dropping Vic didn't "imply" that he did anything or something dumb like that.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

You're joking but chances are if they did more research, they would have ended up suing a company like Amazon (for the unlimited pocket that can sue you into the poor house) or Nintendo (you know the company that doesn't usually settle).

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019

Im just really confused by it honestly. There's some big Funimation led conspiracy that Funimation could have just solved by not hiring him for projects just as they're doing now. It was always in the cards. Funi didn't do anything they weren't able to do. The combo of being an IC and Texas being an at will state completely negates wrongful termination. Which seems to be Vic's turds' major point that Funi fired him. They didn't fire him, they reserved their right to contract him for more work. Work he was not even in the middle of, so... Where is the crime?

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot that. It happened last year, right?

Honestly, Vic fans should be pissed off by the absolute shit tier job Vic's lawyer did instead of trying to spin things as a win or Vic is destroying Funi.
Therein lies the main problem here. They're anger here doesn't make sense. Nothing about the stance to support Vic made sense if you looked ever casually at the volume of allegations against him, and his actions following the first few of them coming to the forefront. And yet he garnered such support. He's not overly popular or talented, nor nearly as charismatic as other celebrities. Because it wasn't about supporting what they think/believe/know is right, it's about disparaging, to outright hating those that were victims of Vic's (and others) abuse. It's bile, sexist prejudice that has been allowed to fester in a nest of denial that anything Vic did was wrong. Allow that mentality to continue then you have a hiveminded mentality of denouncing any turn of events that don't explicitly work with your world view (in this case Vic's victims and anyone who supports them being the worst kind of people).

This isn't a perfect hivemind, mind you, it's a melting pot of anime fans, Vic fans, incels, GGs, Comic Gate fans, etc that have latched onto this as the latest vent for their prejudice and hatred, so naturally they'll have different perceptions of where and why things fell apart for them. Some will out Beard for the clown he is. Some will have privately/proudly never declared they don't care about Vic as much as fucking over the girls he harassed. Some will resort to anime logic to rationalise why the world doesn't agree with their views.

But the one thing that unifies these people, of so many different ages, relative backgrounds, degrees of education, sex, race and religious background, is the innate desire to silence victims of sexual assault. To champion a predator. Because fuck women speaking out. Fuck SJWs. To this end their hatred is right on point. It's not Beard's fault he failed, he's just helping us attack people defending victims. It's Monica's and the other VAs fault. It's the judge's fault. It's the womens' fault.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Im just really confused by it honestly. There's some big Funimation led conspiracy that Funimation could have just solved by not hiring him for projects just as they're doing now. It was always in the cards. Funi didn't do anything they weren't able to do. The combo of being an IC and Texas being an at will state completely negates wrongful termination. Which seems to be Vic's turds' major point that Funi fired him. They didn't fire him, they reserved their right to contract him for more work. Work he was not even in the middle of, so... Where is the crime?
You just explained why there's no wrongful termination in the lolsuit.
They just consider that somehow Funi broke a contract or something which is stupid since the pedocreep is an IC but that's got a higher chance to stick than wrongful termination that's for sure.
Then again we're talking about lolyers that don't understand defamation law and still pushed a case in that specific area.
They're worse than the worst firm in Texas I guess.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They did recast Vic in one of his roles. But I imagine that was legally done by buying out the rest of his contract... no proof of the contract has shown up at all.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

True. I guess it's best to say that Funi decided not to do business with him again than 'firing'.

That and Sabat had it out for Vic for 15 years and only now gave him boot despite Vic and his fandom claiming that Sabat is the mob boss of Funi and have pull in the industry. By that logic, Vic wouldn't have been hired again years ago. Not extend his roles to Ed and even Sabo.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019
They did recast Vic in one of his roles. But I imagine that was legally done by buying out the rest of his contract... no proof of the contract has shown up at all.

They don't even have to do that much. Being an IC means that you get paid for the hours you record and that is it. They can call you into to record or they can not. The contract wouldn't be for a certain amount of money because the amount of hours was never guaranteed which makes Vic being a diva in the booth and demanding more takes is because he's paid by how long he's in there.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
After this case is thrown out, Vic needs to sue his lawyer. Even if he was innocent, his legal representation has been horrible.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's what I'm hoping for. The ISWV people would tear each other apart if this happened.

They should be the most angry at how terrible Vic's lawyer is instead of spinning that everyone hates Vic. I mean, I'm angry just by reading how stupid the lawyer has been and I'm been neutral until recently. How could they survive this amount of stupid for almost half a year?

Oct 26, 2017
They should be the most angry at how terrible Vic's lawyer is instead of spinning that everyone hates Vic. I mean, I'm angry just by reading how stupid the lawyer has been and I'm been neutral until recently. How could they survive this amount of stupid for almost half a year?

They were only listening to Nick Rekieta's live streams about the case so they all were duped into thinking that Ty was a super genius and that the case was going to be an easy win. In reality, pretty much every other lawyer that weighed in confirmed that this case was a mistake from the start.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They were only listening to Nick Rekieta's live streams about the case so they all were duped into thinking that Ty was a super genius and that the case was going to be an easy win. In reality, pretty much every other lawyer that weighed in confirmed that this case was a mistake from the start.

I just found that guy's channel when I was looking at Vic's fans stuff. Now that I pretty much made up my mind, I decided to see how exactly they justified the lousy lawyering. Is the guy a real lawyer?

Gotta say, reading the actual docs and the summary here and reading Vic's fans stuff, it's like stepping in another reality. If I did follow them, I would think Vic was completely innocent.

That and strange, 'no proof of wrongdoing' to 'Vic has been accused of this in the past'.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Wanted to respond to this bit as I think it didn't get focused on.

You have to keep in mind that a certain YouTuber lawyer and his buds framed this as "the first batch of people being sued". As if it makes any sense to argue "these people sooooorta hurt my reputation, but it wasn't really just them!" when the entire point is whether or not they're responsible...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not misremembering, we saw the defendants' contracts earlier and they specifically stated that Funimation has no obligation to use the voice recordings. The voice actors' recordings are basically given to Funimation like a supermarket gives you a bag of raw frozen shrimp. You can sit them on your kitchen counter for a month and watch them rot or you can cram them up your butthole one by one like little Luigi Amiibos; the supermarket doesn't have any control at that point.

I think the contract stuff has been the most confusing part of the case. When the lawsuit began I remember wracking my brain to figure out what contracts the tortious interference applied to and inferred that it must have the ones Vic had with conventions since there was no mention of breach of contract at all, but then legal Twitter came in and said that Beard actually had just fucked up completely and failed to tell us what they are.

A lot of people have confusedly discussed breach of contract but I think the only way the contracts with Funimation specifically have been relevant have been in determining the defendants' relationships with the company.

EDIT: From Jamie Marchi's actor's agreement (I'm pretty sure that this is standard for Funimation, hers is just the first one I saw)

actor04jop.png

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I asked this before, but is Nick Rekieta a real lawyer and what lawyer in their right mind supports the Conspiracy and Vicarious liability charges when Vic was clearly not rehired for being accused of sexual harassment?

Even Defamation charges are a hard sell given the high burden of proof.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He's a real lawyer, has his own law firm even. However for a while now he's been doing his streaming to "lawsplain" since then he has been moving from one popular with the ALT right crowd culture to the next.

Grifting seems to be his true career now. Keep the viewers sufficiently outraged so they keep subscribing and donating.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
He's a real lawyer, has his own law firm even. However for a while now he's been doing his streaming to "lawsplain" since then he has been moving from one popular with the ALT right crowd culture to the next.

Grifting seems to be his true career now. Keep the viewers sufficiently outraged so they keep subscribing and donating.

That explains why he reminds me of Fox News.

And it's weird that Vic fans only defer to him and literally no other lawyer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't accurate.

Ty is the person that is a real lawyer with his own law firm (though with no experience in defamation)
Nick is the one that has been streaming.

Ty has been on nicks stream from time to time but it's all nick that we see with the streams.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This isn't accurate.

Ty is the person that is a real lawyer with his own law firm (though with no experience in defamation)
Nick is the one that has been streaming.

Ty has been on nicks stream from time to time but it's all nick that we see with the streams.

So Nick is just a lawyer streamer?