• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did Huber say exactly which is worth noting?
Here's his affidavit.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vi...on-cut-ties-lawsuit-filed.94896/post-24100340

Some highlights.

11. The first time I heard Vic's name was in a conversation in 2003 or 2004 with Chris Sabat. This occurred while I was recording for a Funimation property at Okratron5000.

12. In that conversation, Chris Sabat verbally disparaged Vic's Christian faith and speculated that Vic was "actually gay" based on the way he dressed.

13. In that conversation, Chris Sabat stated that Vic was a pedophile who liked "little girls". Despite these statements, he did not express concerns about risks to fans, which I thought was odd.
18. In virtually all conversations I had with these voice actors when Vic was not present, disparaging remarks were made about Vic. Typical statements included "he's a prima dona, he's a douche, he's a diva, his clothes are gay," plus comments of his purported infidelity, dislike of his conservative Christian beliefs and personal attacks for his support of Donald Trump. All of these comments were made at one time or another by Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, Chris Sabat, and others.
Apparently everybody shittalks Vic, all the time. I can believe it.

Also, this completely destroys Vic's lawsuit, since the "lies and slander" didn't originate where Vic says they did, they've been commonplace for decades.

15. In approximately 2007, Vic began the practice of autographing artwork depicting anime characters for money at anime conventions.

16. Other voice actors (Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial and Chris Sabat) and other Funimation employees initially described that practice as "stealing from fans," "using fans," or "being an asshole." We all later adopted the same practices and currently follow those practices at conventions.

17. This behavior by voice actors (including Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial and Chris Sabat) and other Funimation employees toward Vic's successful business tactics demonstrates longstanding negative opinions about Vic.
And according to Huber, people say these things because they're jelly that Vic (who was a millionaire thanks to family money before he became a VA for the minor celebrity and the pussy that comes with it) invented the technique of charging money for autographs (a technique which they hypocritically looked down upon as being distasteful).

21. In December 2013, at Yama-Con, I had lunch with Sean Schemmel and Sonny Strait.

22. Sean Schemmel tried to persuade me to participate in a derogatory video about Vic known as the "Vince Mangina VA pedophile video". The video was to portray Vic as a pedophile. I refused because Vic is my friend and he is not a pedophile.

23. Most of the time when I interacted with Sean Schemmel, he attacked Vic for pushing his Christian faith on fans at conventions and for Vic's purported sexual promiscuity.
Notice how Huber knows for a fact the Vic is not a pedophile, meanwhile this is the second time that Huber has attached the "purported" qualifier to Vic's promiscuity/infidelity (Vic admitted in his deposition that he's fucked hundreds of women and couldn't possibly name them all, including paying to have sex with prostitutes while he was engaged to be married).

24. In 2016, I was at Funimation and witnessed a producer at Funimation, warn other Funimation employees of Vic's arrival and address Vic negatively with directors at Funimation.

25. In approximately 2016-2017, a director employed at Funimation, told me that Vic would never get a directing job at Funimation because he was "such a douche."
It's amazing how Huber thinks he's helping Vic.

34. Senior Fumimation directors have described the work environment at Funimation to me as a "Den of Poison," "Kafka Nightmare," and "Orwellian Slave Factory."

35. My experience working at Funimation was unpleasant. It is well known that if one falls out of favor with certain people (including Chris Sabat) or if one tries to do anything to change the working conditions, that person will not be rehired as a voice actor. I felt threatened with not being used as a voice actor in subsequent projects if I complained about the work environment.
Yeah, that's totally how you go about keeping your job [/sarcasm]. It also has absolutely nothing to do with Vic's lawsuit.

41. When the Dragonball Kai was being recorded in 2007, I heard rumors that actresses had been recast at Funimation for refusing sexual advances by Funimation employees. I consider these rumors credible based on my experience working at Funimation and from direct messages received from a former DBZ cast member.

42. I also heard that actresses who participated in sex with Funimation/Okatron5000 employees were cast in roles. I consider these rumors credible based on my experience working at Funimation
Right here is where he accuses Funimation of operating a casting couch. Hiring/firing women based on whether they will/won't have sex with their superiors. He doesn't directly point a finger at Sabat, but his next couple paragraphs are about how Sabat has significant power and influence at Funimation, so he's at least trying to imply it. And the funny thing is, evidence emerged suggesting that Vic was operating a casting couch.

51. I have observed Chris Sabat on multiple occasions talk in a derogatory manner about members of Funimation management and other people he calls "friends."
"Hey Funimation executives, Chris Sabat says mean things about you behind your backs, please fire him. BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with Vic's lawsuit."

58. Jamie Marchi and I have been close friends and writing partners since 2009. She never mentioned the hair-pulling incident at Funimation that she alleges occurred between Vic and her.

60. I believe Jamie Marchi would have mentioned the hair-pulling incident, if it had bothered her, since she is typically very outspoken. In addition, while Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial and other Funimation employees often expressed animosity towards Vic, they never claimed he had sexually harassed or sexually assaulted anyone. Their animosity was primarily due to his personality, his sexual promiscuity, his Christian faith and claims that he was difficult to work with.
"Jamie Marchi couldn't have been assaulted by Vic, because we're close friends and I would have known about it. My friend Jamie is obviously a lying bitch who made up a false accusation about Vic because she hates him."

67. I was initially supportive of what Jamie and Monica were doing because my understanding was that they were, with inflated versions of their stories, attempting to help the alleged underage victims of rape and sexual assault by Vic, which they along with Michelle Specht directly told me existed, who would otherwise be too afraid to speak out. I never considered Jamie and Monica to be victims of attempted rape or sexual assault by Vic.
"The defendants lied about rape to try and make it easier for nonexistent victims to come forward."

68. I drafted a proposed statement by Vic that included the phrase "I am a sex addict" because my conversations with Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial convinced me that Vic would have to admit some form of "guilt" for them to settle. Vic never saw or approved that phrase.

69. I am not educated about sex addiction nor am I an expert about sex addiction.
"I do not know WTF I am doing..."

70. I talked with Vic about sex addiction and advised him to speak with his counselor about it. I now believe his sexual activity and infidelities are more closely associated to the common narcissism and ego from men in his position. I believe Vic is sincere in his efforts with his counselor to correct the abject moral failings associated with his sexual behavior.
"... but I'm gonna keep on doing it."

72. During my settlement efforts. Todd Haberkorn told me that that Chris Sabat, Ron Toye and Sean Schemmel told him that he was in danger of never working at Funimation again because Haberkorn retained the same law firm as Vic.
Haberkorn told Huber that everyone warned him that he (Haberkorn) was gonna wind up blacklisted for hiring Vic's Anime Rapist Lawyer.

74. I contacted Gen Fukanaga, the then CEO of Funimation to discuss my concerns with Chris Sabat's gaslighting of Sean Schemmel, damaging use of his authority toward actors and his attempts to destroy my career, in early March 2019 who met with me and advised that Vic would lose and have to pay via something he had learned about called an Anti-SLAPP motion. He also, in response to my specific concerns about Chris Sabat, said that he had been friends with Chris Sabat for 17 years and he did not believe me. This meeting occurred on March 5, 2019 at 2:30 p.m. in Gen's office approximately a month to a month and a half prior to Vic filing the current pending lawsuit.
"I whined about Sabat to me and Vic's #1 ally at Funimation, it's right-wing asshole CEO. He warned me that Vic was going to lose his not-yet-launched lawsuit, because it would be thrown out with anti-SLAPP. He also told me that my latest conspiracy theory was stupid."

75. I and my wife fear direct, planned and specific retaliation from Chris Sabat and those loyal to him in response to this affidavit that will be damaging to my reputation and career.
"I know exactly how badly I'm screwing myself here."

78. In my experiences with Vic, if someone acted like they did not want to be hugged or kissed, he stopped immediately.
So Vic lets Huber into the bedroom with him, huh? Kinky.

80. When I was told about the contents of the "confidential" investigation undertaken by Tammie Denbow on behalf of Funimation, my opinion was that Funimation, Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial acted together and with encouragement from Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, to destroy Vic's career and life.

81. I believe that the purported incidents investigated by Tammi Denbow occurred of Funimation property and not at Funimation events.
"I believe that Funimation's entire investigation was a fraud. Also, rape doesn't count when it happens after hours and not in the office."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Notice how Huber knows for a fact the Vic is not a pedophile, meanwhile this is the second time that Huber has attached the "purported" qualifier to Vic's promiscuity/infidelity (Vic admitted in his deposition that he's fucked hundreds of women and couldn't possibly name them all, including paying to have sex with prostitutes while he was engaged to be married).

And take a moment to consider that he refers to "purported infidelity" when literally the first point of his affidavit following his identification is him saying he was upset by Vic's infidelity.

Since I had to be up earlier today, I ended looked at the Huber affidavit again too. Two things I noticed:

33. Vic told me he had a meeting with a producer at Funimation, in approximately 2018 specifically to discuss any issues with his behavior. He stated that there was no mention in this meeting of his having committed sexual harassment, sexual assault or his having behaved in an inappropriate manner at Funimation or at any conventions. He stated that she told him that he was "difficult to work with" because he sometimes asked directors to do additional takes when the director was satisfied with his initial take.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that voice recording time can be expensive, and extra takes mean more cost. So isn't Huber at this point basically trying to paint the image that Vic is being bullied by Funimation because he's not very good at his job? If the point of this lawsuit was to repair his career and restore his reputation, wouldn't that be something to avoid too?

44. During this timeframe, I sent a text message to Chris Sabat who responded that "if this has anything to do with Vic, I will not talk about it."

So by the sounds of it, when there was even the slightest sign that Vic might have been removed from the role, Huber didn't even have to bring it up for Sabat to know that's what he wanted to talk about. So is Huber the original Vic stan? Does he just like talking about Vic on his spare time and Sabat is sick of it? There's no way that this is the first interaction they've had on the subject.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
EDtBxF8X4AEfVDP.jpg:large

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Doesn't really matter if he's changed firms does it? All the evidence filed by the prosecution that helps the defense has irrepairably screwed Vic hasn't it?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I have no idea how much damage this new lawyer can mitigate. What's been said and done has already done so. I mean, there's no take-backsies.

New co-counsel picked up

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Full doc here:

Seem new fella also does not have much relevant experience. Speculation abound from various Twitter comments suggests a few options. Beard might have done this to attempt to not have to show up Friday to show his notary log. He might have been fired from the case. He needs someone who is very clearly not him at his side, as his reputation is/will be in tatters.

And this will be expensive for Vic.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Full doc here:

Seem new fella also does not have much relevant experience. Speculation abound from various Twitter comments suggests a few options. Beard might have done this to attempt to not have to show up Friday to show his notary log. He might have been fired from the case. He needs someone who is very clearly not him at his side, as his reputation is/will be in tatters.

And this will be expensive for Vic.

Yeah I don't get it. I went and checked his page on his firm's website and he seems to be transactional law not litigation.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing the new firm doesn't know what all is going on. No way no one competent and with a legit practice would want to attach themselves to this shit show

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Watch this be something really really stupid like Beard bringing this guy in because he also had issues filing things on friday evening or something.

Another suggestion:

It'd be really funny if this guy is being brought in because Beard knows he has lost the case but doesn't know how to deal with the aftermath.

Edit: Greg suggests it's basically a babysitter for Ty to make sure he doesn't cause more problems for BHBH as a whole.

Basically, Ty causing fraud and fucking up over and over is probably going to result in sanctions, and this guy would be there to make sure he doesn't fuck up more.

Last edited:

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Watch this be something really really stupid like Beard bringing this guy in because he also had issues filing things on friday evening or something.

Another suggestion:

It'd be really funny if this guy is being brought in because Beard knows he has lost the case but doesn't know how to deal with the aftermath.

Yeah this new guy deals a lot around business and real estate law based on his bio. A lot of work in asset management and sales, business mergers, etc.

Then again he also mentions doing divorce cases so who knows.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm prob not the first to post this but I'm surprised this thread is still so active. I thought we called him out as a scumbag, he got fired and that was that but this has gone full blown court case. is there a summary of what I've missed since the initial people coming out and saying what he does?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm prob not the first to post this but I'm surprised this thread is still so active. I thought we called him out as a scumbag, he got fired and that was that but this has gone full blown court case. is there a summary of what I've missed since the initial people coming out and saying what he does?

so basically an outside youtube guy started a GFM/grift campaign

raised money

brought in a lawyer. not a competent litigator skilled at dealing with 1st amendment/defamation claims. but a family friend that planned his grandparent's estate (not even joking)

so now this lawyer (ty beard) and the youtube guy (rekieta) made a big clown show out of the whole thing. parading themselves around on cons and youtube streams, getting into fights with actual litigators on twitter, etc.

but the music is about to stop because the judge is about to rule on a defense the defendants filed (SLAPP, or something meant to discourage garbage defamation suits trying to bully people into silence despite their first amendment rights, which is what this case is). and those clowns just keep dancing...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There's a threadmark that loosely covers the case up until last week. Things went off the rails on Saturday though

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
There's a new lawyer being added to the case at the 11th hour? LMAO at this entire fiasco.

I'm guessing the new person will be like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction, sent to clean up the mess and get everyone out of town without getting arrested.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of an analogy for this and I can't. It's like when your work is so bad that you rip it up and start again when you're already past the due date? Except it's still the same shitty work, and it's not you doing it anymore? I'm at a loss.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so basically an outside youtube guy started a GFM/grift campaign

raised money

brought in a lawyer. not a competent litigator skilled at dealing with 1st amendment/defamation claims. but a family friend that planned his grandparent's estate (not even joking)

so now this lawyer (ty beard) and the youtube guy (rekieta) made a big clown show out of the whole thing. parading themselves around on cons and youtube streams, getting into fights with actual litigators on twitter, etc.

but the music is about to stop because the judge is about to rule on a defense the defendants filed (SLAPP, or something meant to discourage garbage defamation suits trying to bully people into silence despite their first amendment rights, which is what this case is). and those clowns just keep dancing...
There's a threadmark that loosely covers the case up until last week. Things went off the rails on Saturday though
Oh my god... when i saw the thread title updated with lawsuit filed however many weeks ago, I thought it was the victims really taking him to town...

Come to find out this dumbass is suing them LMFAO

How did things go off the rails Saturday? Because currently I see them running around like chickens with their heads cut off

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
The world at large: "They can't possibly be that dumb?!?"
Vic's legal team: "Hold my Beard!"

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I think Greg's theory is more likely than Mike's right now.

Guess we'll find out tommorow.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
How did things go off the rails Saturday? Because currently I see them running around like chickens with their heads cut off

Short version, Beard handled this like a college assignment. On his filing deadline on the 30th (which is after already getting a 1 month extension) he filed a train wreck. Footnotes missing all over, forgetting to put any proof of his arguments in his conclusions, are just a few. The big one was he has 3 affidavits from various (rather completely irrelevant) witnesses that were not notarized.

So what is a lawyer to do, but notarize them himself without the witnesses present.

That was caught immediately, and the defense asked to see his notary log. Which lead to silence from the Beard, who then withdrew his filings and resubmitted in a slightly altered form, hoping that no one would notice.

They did.

Edit: Missed a few words.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Right now I'm trying to figure out what's happened since the bumbling at the end of the threadmark lol. Like I said I thought he was getting taken to court by the people who assaulted him... Instead it's complete buffoonery lol

Basically Notary Fraud was committed by Plantiff's council as part of a nonsensical filing. Then Plantiff's council tried to recend that filing and replace with another with out courts opinion.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
so, the theory is that ty needs another lawyer to be his babysitter
ty fucking founded his own goddamn firm
they need to hire someone to hold his hand and his name goes before the senator

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god... when i saw the thread title updated with lawsuit filed however many weeks ago, I thought it was the victims really taking him to town...

Come to find out this dumbass is suing them LMFAO

Oh god, I should be working right now but here we go:
- The deadline for Beard (Vic's lawyer) to file his response to the TCPA motion (basically that says this lawsuit is frivilous and made to try and cost the defense money, not to win) was Friday at midnight
- Beard filed it at 12:35am iirc, claiming technical issues.
- The filing was a mess. Like amateur doesn't even cut it. It was missing citations all over place, had citations that were there but not fully filled in, even the things that were properly filled in were a near illegible mess.
- It also added three new Affadavits (sworn statements from witnesses) to "Defend" Vic
- I put defend in quotes because one in particular, Chuck Huber's, was incredibly damaging for Vic's case, stating that these kind of rumours have follower Vic around for years and the defendants weren't even close to the first people to spread them (you can't sue someone for defamation for saying something about a public figure that is already known/rumoured about said figure, also you can't damage someone's reputation if their reputation is already trash.)
- Those three Affadavits were notarised by Beard himself and all signed/notarised the day before the filing was due.
- Over the weekend, Beard withdrew all three of those affidavits and submitted identical ones without the notarisation or signatures of the witnesses, after one of the lawyers on the defense side emailed him saying they looked suspicious.
- Then the defense lawyers all filed a joint motion to dismiss those and to sanction Beard, claiming that the reason he withdrew the affadavits was that he notarised them without the people there, noting that one of the people that supposedly was there and signed it was across the country at a convention that day and could not possibly have been there. Basically, he committed fraud.
- Also, Beard filed a statement asking for his late submission to be allowed as it was caused by "Technical issues" with the submission portal because the file was too big.
- The evidence he used to support this showed that not only was it actually rejected because someone had put a password on it (so not file size) it also wasn't submitted until 15 minutes after the deadline. Meaning that on top of fraudulently notarising those statements, Beard also lied to the court about why his submission was late.
- THEN the defense filed all their responses to Beard's work, they're often very snarky and very obviously angry as everyone has gotten fed up with this idiot.
- The Judge ruled against a Motion to Strike that Beard made a month or so ago, two hours after the Defense's response was filed (which is pretty fast from what I'm told!)
- LATEST: Vic's lawyers filed a thing saying that another lawyer from another firm was going to appear as co-counsel during the hearing tomorrow. Nobody knows why, so speculation is rampant (mostly covered on this page of the thread.)

I probably missed some important stuff but goddamn it has been a busy few days if you're following this case.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Vic stans: See, they have so much evidence against the defendants that they had to bring in more lawyers to tackle everything. This isn't looking good for Funi and the rest!

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
- The deadline for Beard (Vic's lawyer) to file his response to the TCPA motion (basically that says this lawsuit is frivilous and made to try and cost the defense money, not to win) was Friday at midnight
- The filing was a mess. Like amateur doesn't even cut it. It was missing citations all over place, had citations that were there but not fully filled in, even the things that were properly filled in were a near illegible mess.
- It also added three new Affadavits (sworn statements from witnesses) to "Defend" Vic
- I put defend in quotes because one in particular, Chuck Huber's, was incredibly damaging for Vic's case, stating that these kind of rumours have follower Vic around for years and the defendants weren't even close to the first people to spread them (you can't sue someone for defamation for saying something about a public figure that is already known/rumoured about said figure, also you can't damage someone's reputation if their reputation is already trash.)
- Those three Affadavits were notarised by Beard himself and all signed/notarised the day before the filing was due.
- Over the weekend, Beard withdrew all three of those affidavits and submitted identical ones without the notarisation or signatures of the witnesses, after one of the lawyers on the defense side emailed him saying they looked suspicious.
- Then the defense lawyers all filed a joint motion to dismiss those and to sanction Beard, claiming that the reason he withdrew the affadavits was that he notarised them without the people there, noting that one of the people that supposedly was there and signed it was across the country at a convention that day and could not possibly have been there. Basically, he committed fraud.
- Also, Beard filed a statement asking for his late submission to be allowed as it was caused by "Technical issues" with the submission portal because the file was too big.
- The evidence he used to support this showed that not only was it actually rejected because someone had put a password on it (so not file size) it also wasn't submitted until 15 minutes after the deadline. Meaning that on top of fraudulently notarising those statements, Beard also lied to the court about why his submission was late.
- THEN the defense filed all their responses to Beard's work, they're often very snarky and very obviously angry as everyone has gotten fed up with this idiot.
- The Judge ruled against a Motion to Strike that Beard made a month or so ago, two hours after the Defense's response was filed (which is pretty fast from what I'm told!)
- LATEST: Vic's lawyers filed a thing saying that another lawyer from another firm was going to appear as co-counsel during the hearing tomorrow. Nobody knows why, so speculation is rampant (mostly covered on this page of the thread.)

I probably missed some important stuff but goddamn it has been a busy few days if you're following this case.

Somebody give this man a threadmark!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Short version, Beard handled this like a college assignment. On his filing deadline on the 30th (which is after already getting a 1 month extension) he filed a train wreck. Footnotes missing all over, forgetting to put any proof of his arguments in his conclusions, are just a few. The big one was he has 3 affidavits from various (rather completely irrelevant) witnesses that were not notarized.

So what is a lawyer to do, but notarize them himself without the witnesses present.

That was caught immediately, and the defense asked to see his notary log. Which lead to silence from the Beard, who then withdrew his filings and resubmitted in a slightly altered form, hoping that no one would notice.

They did.

Edit: Missed a few words.
Basically Notary Fraud was committed by Plantiff's council as part of a nonsensical filing. Then Plantiff's council tried to recend that filing and replace with another with out courts opinion.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is really at the point where another thread should be made IMO, especially since thing are escalating.
I mean, we've had new threads made before, but they just die out.

Everyone just seems to come right back to this one.

I feel that most of this thread title, if anything, should just be changed, since the pertinent information is in the op, and the majority of people already know what the thread is about now.

Seems silly to still have such a long title now, when it's something completely else now.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that most of this thread title, if anything, should just be changed, since the pertinent information is in the op, and the majority of people already know what the thread is about now.

Seems silly to still have such a long title now, when it's something completely else now.
I agree. My suggestion is

Vic Mignogna Lawsuit |OT| Why Are We Here?