• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Umm isn't the idiot still somewhat claiming he's a lawyer. He should still BE a notary. Not WAs a notary.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a expert at those notaries! But what is a notary anyway?
I'm pretty certain that was a rhetorical question. He's either denying that fraudulent notarization is a thing or saying that it's something else, and so notarizing documents for people that aren't present doesn't fit the definition. What happened here was just an "error". A few more tweets from that chain:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Umm isn't the idiot still somewhat claiming he's a lawyer. He should still BE a notary. Not WAs a notary.

He had to take another shift at the law factory.

vincent-adultman.jpg

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Rekieta's defense appears to be that the notarization isn't fraudulent, which is technically likely true. One element of fraud is that a party relied on the fraud and doing so resulted in damages. The problem is that the "notarization" was so obviously fishy that nobody relied on it, though i guess one could make a case that damages were incurred in the form of billable hours. Either way I would expect to see Rekeita leaning heavy on "It's Not Fraud" and ignoring the fact that it is still not an ok thing for a notary to do.
A Notary Public is personally liable for negligence or fraud in the course of performing his or her duties. The bond a Notary Public is required to post is meant to ensure that the injured party can recover up to $10,000, but the Notary can still be held personally liable for any damages he or she has caused and may be subject to criminal prosecution and revocation or suspension of his or her notary public commission.

Types of notary fraud can include:

Failing to acknowledge your documents
Falsified stamps
Allowing the signer to sign a document while the Notary Public is not present.

In the case of Notary fraud you do not have to be doing it to cause damages. Just doing a notary improperly is notary fraud.

In addition to the, admittedly crappy source, I as a notary know it's fraud on my part if I do not have the person in front of me, with an unsigned document and an state issued ID, and I notarized it anyways.

It would be fraud even if I did it for a hand written letter saying that the person really likes pie.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
the latest development certainly delivered.
I swear it's too bad there's no ongoing law show worth watching these days, it would be absolutely hilarious to see how a tv show would tackle this case.
The good thing is that the accusation was so spectacularly incompetent that it's gonna be a case study in law schools in English speaking countries at least.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Poked around Beard's website again for no reason, and it has a website version of a freudian slip. Under "services", if you click "read more", it just leads you to "sorry, this page doesn't exist".

Now, jokes aside, the page does exist and can be accessed by the top bar, it just isn't linked correctly there. But I'm thinking this way makes more sense (also this way doesn't claim that they handle defamation which evidently)

FAKE EDIT:
This is a tweet chain worth clicking on. In response to some Vic stan pretending to be a lawyer (may or may not be joking) insisting that all lawyers file things late, legal twitter dude goes through Ty's activities to show how much of his time he's pissed away while working on this case.

He also brings up a point that didn't really occur to me until now; Beard's stalling tactics would make sense if he's trying to win through superior tolerance to legal fees, but he tried to do that with a corporation.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I was actually coming here to post that chain.

Also check out Marc Whipple's Screech Live tweets they are gold and a good way to keep up with the narrative conVics are being fed.

Edit forgot to post the tweets for Marc

Comments from Chris Sabat and Funimation employees

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Anime News Network has produced a new article summarizing the past weekend's nonsense, complete with comments from Chris Sabat himself and anonymous FUNi employees. Highlights below:

Sabat provided Anime News Network with the following statement regarding Huber's allegations.

"The recent allegations of sexual misconduct at Funimation and OkraTron 5000 are deeply disturbing and completely without merit. These libelous statements are based on groundless rumors and are meant to defame me and my company. Never in my career spanning two decades did I ever witness or participate in such conduct."

Anime News Network spoke with multiple former employees of Funimation regarding Huber's claims about the licensing company's allegedly sexually charged environment and the allegations against Sabat brought forth in Huber's affidavit. All the former employees denied any knowledge of a "casting couch" involving Sabat or anyone else working at Funimation.

Anime News Network contacted Nadolny via social media but did not receive a response by press time. A former long-time Funimation employee told Anime News Network that they believed Nadolny was let go due to unprofessional and disruptive conduct in the recording booth.

One former long-time employee, who asked not to be named, disagreed with Huber's characterization that Sabat was treated like a "de facto manager" at Funimation, given that he is not an employee but a contractor for the company. They noted that Sabat doesn't maintain an office there and was only at Funimation if he needed to record his own lines. They believe that Sabat may have had input in the talent for the Dragon Ball franchise, but casting would be a group decision overall. Furthermore, they never heard of or saw Sabat solicit any female talent in exchange for roles.

The staffer attributed the poor opinion of Mignogna among his coworkers as due to his own behavior, not an "inherit bias", and that Mignogna was "difficult to worth with, rude, would derail recording sessions, asked for excessive retakes", and could be "snappy" at directors who attempted to give him input. While Huber cited Mignogna's religion as a point of contention, the staffer noted that there are other employees and talent that are known to belong to the Christian faith and have not encountered the same problems as Mignogna, including longtime Funimation talent Caitlin Glass.

The former staffer added that questions regarding Mignogna's sexuality were also spurred by the Fullmetal Alchemist voice actor's behavior. They said they were personally aware of at least three male Funimation employees or voice actors that felt uncomfortable due to Mignogna's "touchiness" with them approximately 12 years ago. They said the "pedophile" rumors began because of Mignogna's conduct at conventions. If staff had made complaints about Mignogna's behavior, the staffer did not hear these complaints directly.

They also took issue with Huber's statement that he is "intimately familiar with the work environment at Funimation" and said that the conversations Huber mentioned would be unlikely to occur at the Funimation offices due to how voice acting is conducted within the building. Voice actors are typically called in to record solo and would have limited interaction with one another at Funimation. The staffer stated that Huber's knowledge of the company's work environment would be limited to the audio side of the company where he would mostly interact with ADR directors, ADR engineers, and producers. They said they believe Huber is conflating conversations between voice actors at conventions as interactions within Funimation.

Huber noted in his affidavit that the Funimation offices did not have sexual harassment policies posted and that he never received a handbook with information on Funimation's policies. According to three former staffers, full-time employees did receive employee handbooks and had to undergo mandatory sexual harassment training while at Funimation. These requirements may not have extended to Funimation's freelance contractors, including its voice talent. One former staffer cited this training as why they took issue with Huber's allegation that incidents described in Funimation's internal investigation happened off company property and thus may fall outside of its purview.

"If I meet with a co-worker at a bar off company time and that co-worker sexually harasses me, I still have the right to go to HR," they said. The former Funimation employee added that behavior at conventions would still be applicable, as a convention is considered a work-related event.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that what he said did not help Vic whatsoever and made it a lot worse for Vic.

Chuck's move is absolutely nonsensical. I'll be curious to know how that affidavit actually came to be.

It's been removed too right ?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Reminder that what he said did not help Vic whatsoever and made it a lot worse for Vic.

Chuck's move is absolutely nonsensical. I'll be curious to know how that affidavit actually came to be.

It's been removed too right ?
It's glorious, it might even manage to be a move that hit the lolyer with how it's been fraudulently notarized as well.
Really a masterpiece.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Could Vic not get someone better or was this the only person to help him with how much dirt is on Vic?

He blindly listened to Nick who, himself, was overwhelmed by the support he received and didn't want to lose "power" so he advised the first dude he had, Ty, a complete moron that has a level of incompetence never seen before.

Since Chuck is about to lose his career to a supposedly fraudulent affidavit, this is going to be a hilarious case to follow.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's mindboggling to me that in a statement full of lies and half-truths used to misrepresent Vic's abusive behaviour, "everyone keeps calling Vic gay" isn't looking to be one of the lies. Huber's affidavit has been a bizarre turn.

Is there any legitamacy to the idea that Sabat has a "casting couch"?

The legitimacy seems to be that Vic might have had a "casting couch".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Could Vic not get someone better or was this the only person to help him with how much dirt is on Vic?

Anyone better would have told him not to do it. I believe he met with another lawyer or two that said as much? Or at least did not put him on this path.

This was a certain angry YouTuber getting a family friend - who's used to handling a very different area of law - to take the case and profit (to some unknown degree w/r/t this being the priority) off the crowdfunding.

Not as far as anyone else has said or ANN's reporting has dug up.

I'd be reluctant to say it's confirmed to be false, especially cause IIRC it's out there that Funimation wasn't great to work for in the past. But as far as this case goes, nothing's really backing it up.

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindboggling to me that in a statement full of lies and half-truths used to misrepresent Vic's abusive behaviour, "everyone keeps calling Vic gay" isn't looking to be one of the lies. Huber's affidavit has been a bizarre turn.

The legitimacy seems to be that Vic might have had a "casting couch".
The only people who talked about it as far as I know are trying to lose a defamation case....

Ever since that funimation leak, there have been so many things flying around I can't tell what is legitamate and what is just trying to distract from Vic or create a false equivalence.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I love when Nick does the

*is confronted with a statement about his position*
*Incredulously asks question*
*Gets answer*
*Either insults or continues to ask questions rather than clarifying his position or citing legal precedent*

It almost reminds me of Ben Shapiro, but Shapiro is at least motor-mouthed enough to pull it off with some regularity. On Twitter, photographed for everyone to see, it just comes off as pathetic. In real time, obviously he gets hundreds of likes for every reply and his opponent gets ratio'd on his timeline, so he probably feels like he's winning, but he never actually answers anything sensibly.

Google Drive with all relevant documents

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
So let me see if I got this.
Chuck Huber accuses various people at Funimation of misdeeds, despite being a contract worker and not an actual employee. Never mind that just about every voice actor is a contract worker for Funi and being a Funimation employee is entirely different. And of course Funimation tells ANN that a lot of it is lies or misrepresentation.
Why would Huber do this? Self-sabotage his own career like this? Is he one of those "good Christian men" that believes he's being persecuted for his beliefs, and because Vic is also a "good Christian man" he believes he's also being persecuted?
Did he think he wasn't replaceable? Because he totally is.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
Chuck Huber accuses various people at Funimation of misdeeds, despite being a contract worker and not an actual employee. Never mind that just about every voice actor is a contract worker for Funi and being a Funimation employee is entirely different. And of course Funimation tells ANN that a lot of it is lies or misrepresentation.
Why would Huber do this? Self-sabotage his own career like this? Is he one of those "good Christian men" that believes he's being persecuted for his beliefs, and because Vic is also a "good Christian man" he believes he's also being persecuted?
I'm at a point where i assume, that everyone who is still defending Nick is either an Idiot, has done the same things, wants to somehow earn money or a combination of all those three things.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I still think it's a grudge against Chris Huber an a persecution complex based on being a "good Christian man" as you said. It's dripping over all his affidavit. Two of the things we knew about Huber already was that he was a conservative Christian and that he's weird as hell.

There's also the possibility that he brought this whole thing up as a cheap ruse to distract from Vic in which case I don't even fucking know. Maybe it could still be a persecution complex. Maybe Huber will have a bunch of a skeletons in his closet that will be brought out before this is over.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be reluctant to say it's confirmed to be false, especially cause IIRC it's out there that Funimation wasn't great to work for in the past. But as far as this case goes, nothing's really backing it up.

At the very least, it's pretty clear that the 'CHRIS CONTROLS FUNIMATION'S CASTING PROCESS' argument is bullshit, since Chris doesn't actually work for Funimation as an employee.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As was pointed out by one of the sources in the ANN article, this "he's Christian so they're put off and discriminating" stuff is fucking bonkers when you consider Caitlin Glass is an open and devout Christian and isn't, you know, a creepy or bigoted person. Hell she helped Vic a few times with his little Sunday bible panels or whatever at cons prior to 2010 or so (presumably and without proof, I assume it's because she started hearing rumors about him, but we can't actually know why she stopped). And now she's openly supported people he victimized.

Like, your religion isn't an excuse to discriminate or be a sex pest without getting reprisal, lmao. In the end, it's YOUR religion- YOUR mindset. You make the active choice to believe what you want.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As was pointed out by one of the sources in the ANN article, this "he's Christian so they're put off and discriminating" stuff is fucking bonkers when you consider Caitlin Glass is an open and devout Christian and isn't, you know, a creepy or bigoted person. Hell she helped Vic a few times with his little Sunday bible panels or whatever at cons prior to 2010 or so (presumably and without proof, I assume it's because she started hearing rumors about him, but we can't actually know why she stopped). And now she's openly supported people he victimized.

Like, your religion isn't an excuse to discriminate or be a sex pest without getting reprisal, lmao. In the end, it's YOUR religion- YOUR mindset. You make the active choice to believe what you want.
I forget who it was, but there's an affidavit from.... I want to say the staff at a con, who was basically saying this same thing about about Vic claiming religious persecution for not being given a big enough room. She noted that she was a Christian herself, and didn't feel like Vic's presentation was a Christian presentation, but just self-aggrandizing.

It's weird, but there are genuinely some people out there who really, really want to be able to call themselves victims. They're just the ones who will step on legitimate victims to do so. It's like how white supremacists go on about white genocide because, hey, all the other people who claim genocide get sympathy points, let's get us some of that too.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chuck confuses me. Claims to be a devout Christian but works with a man who not only cheated on his fiance but has had multiple sex partners out of marriage, which is against Christianity.
Why would he do this?
There are a lot of Christians (and this behavior is not exclusively Christian) who are terrible people, in violation of the teachings of God and Jesus, but they don't believe that this disqualifies them from being Christian. Like, Vic was confronted in his deposition with the wanton immorality of his acts, and asked how he resolves them with his loud claims of Christianity, and his response was "I've made a lot of mistakes". Humans are flawed creatures, and Jesus forgives mistakes, so... it's all cool! Vic can do whatever the hell he wants, whenever he wants, as many times as he wants, while constantly claiming the moral high ground, because Vic's Christianity headcanon says that Vic is allowed to smash that reset button as often as he pleases.

And, there are a lot of Christians (and again, I don't mean to suggest that this is exclusively Christian behavior) who engage in tribalism, and see anyone who self-identifies as a Christian as being superior to anyone who doesn't.

Add in the fact that Chuck Huber is apparently a conspiracy theorist, and conspiracy theorists tend to have a weakness for conspiracy theories. It's not 100% but, when you believe in one conspiracy (like say, flat Earth), there's a good chance you believe in another (like Q Anon, or anti-vaxx, or aliens, or the faked moon landing, or Bigfoot). And when you believe in two or more, there's a much bigger chance that you start to believe in all (or most) of them, because there's something off in your head that is rejecting sensible conclusions and is embracing conspiracy and paranoia.

Chuck Huber seems to have a hate-boner for Chris Sabat. Could be for any reason, but at the very minimum, Huber seems to have observed Sabat openly shitting on Vic's immoral, hypocritical brand of Christianity, and Huber switched into tribalism mode. Sabat, an inferior non-Christian heathen, is speaking against Vic, a superior moral Christian? How dare he? That's an affront to Huber's own Christianity.

Add to it the fact that Vic called out a "Funimation conspiracy" attempting to bring him down and destroy him, and Huber (being a flat-Earther, and quite possibly weak against conspiracies) presumably decided that a Funimation conspiracy was real, but contrary to Vic's idea that it was all the women who were against him, Huber thinks that Sabat is the mastermind (because Huber clearly hates Sabat).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Add in the fact that Chuck Huber is apparently a conspiracy theorist, and conspiracy theorists tend to have a weakness for conspiracy theories. It's not 100% but, when you believe in one conspiracy (like say, flat Earth), there's a good chance you believe in another (like Q Anon, or anti-vaxx, or aliens, or the faked moon landing, or Bigfoot). And when you believe in two or more, there's a much bigger chance that you start to believe in all (or most) of them, because there's something off in your head that is rejecting sensible conclusions and is embracing conspiracy and paranoia.
It's worth noting that in Huber specifically has a stated interest in fringe science and the flat earth stuff was just a given example of that. As in, he specifically seeks out positions which suggest conspiracy theories ("what mainstream scientists aren't telling you!"), rather than being something he just passive absorbs because he isn't that bright.

It might also suggest that these sort of persecution narratives appeal to him.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that in Huber specifically has a stated interest in fringe science and the flat earth stuff was just a given example of that. As in, he specifically seeks out positions which suggest conspiracy theories ("what mainstream scientists aren't telling you!"), rather than being something he just passive absorbs because he isn't that bright.

It might also suggest that these sort of persecution narratives appeal to him.
Yeah, so he's way past "dabbling" a little in some playful fun conspiracy theories. I didn't pay much attention to it last time it came up, as it didn't seem relevant as to why he was making problems for himself by inserting himself into a dispute that didn't concern him. It's certainly relevant now, now that he's torpedoed his voice acting career by lobbing unfounded accusations against his well-respected boss as part of a conspiracy theory intended to protect a real sexual harasser in his workplace.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Was just going through that LiveScreech transcript someone linked earlier, and noticed Nick can't stream Friday and Saturday.

It is really sad that he is missing out on what will surely be a moment of glory.

Gonna be interesting to the see Vicstans having to spend two entire days after the hearing without getting their talking points served up. Headless chicken time incoming.

Eraser Head

Aug 22, 2019
Oregon

If I'm not mistaken I believe some studios are directly involved in the casting process when a foreign distributor dubs their properties. For example on a commentary track for an early episode of One Piece (during one of the arcs for the East Blue Saga) Luci Christian mentioned that she, along with the other main cast members were approved by both Toei and Oda.

So the casting couch theory does seem like attempt to craft a narrative that Vic's behavior was the norm and that everyone was doing something shady at Funimation.

The parts of Huber's affidavit about him being persecuted because he's a christian or being intimidated into remaining silent about he's perceived innocence of Vic reads like it's something out of a christian film. The part about Fukunaga meeting with him like a mob boss saying "Vic is going to lose, he'll have to pay the defendants legal fees, etc." is similar to the christian boogeyman of "secular academia" or Planned Parenthood threatening to use the full force of their power to bury someone because they believe god exists, abortion is murder, or whatever talking point the film is trying to push.

Although I get the feeling they won't put out a press release about severing ties with Chuck Huber. They'll likely won't tell him about upcoming roles or if he does audition, they won't put him in for final consideration. They'll just quietly phase him out.

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken I believe some studios are directly involved in the casting process when a foreign distributor dubs their properties. For example on a commentary track for an early episode of One Piece (during one of the arcs for the East Blue Saga) Luci Christian mentioned that she, along with the other main cast members were approved by both Toei and Oda.

So the casting couch theory does seem like attempt to craft a narrative that Vic's behavior was the norm and that everyone was doing something shady at Funimation.

The Japanese rights holders are more involved these days. Likely to avoid more 4Kids incidents. Funi originally wanted a man to voice Luffy (they had Eric Vale in mind) but Toei and Oda demanded a woman play him.

Similarly, I saw a panel with Jalen K. Casell, the voice of Okuyasu in Jojo Part 4, and he mentioned how they had to send his audition tape to Japan for approval.

The parts of Huber's affidavit about him being persecuted because he's a christian or being intimidated into remaining silent about he's perceived innocence of Vic reads like it's something out of a christian film. The part about Fukunaga meeting with him like a mob boss saying "Vic is going to lose, he'll have to pay the defendants legal fees, etc." is similar to the christian boogeyman of "secular academia" or Planned Parenthood threatening to use the full force of their power to bury someone because they believe god exists, abortion is murder, or whatever talking point the film is trying to push.

Although I get the feeling they won't put out a press release about severing ties with Chuck Huber. They'll likely won't tell him about upcoming roles or if he does audition, they won't put him in for final consideration. They'll just quietly phase him out.

No wonder so many of those movies exist if that's how they feel all the time. Bleh...
Yeah I see Huber being phased out without making a big deal of it. Lying in court about a company you work for isn't going to be a good look.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Talk about a clusterChuck. "Funny" thing - a couple of months ago, I was at a Q&A with Chris and Sean, where Chris was talking about how he considers Sean one of the most irreplaceable Dragon Ball VAs... along with Chuck Huber.

Atreides42

Apr 18, 2018
It's a shame to hear about Chuck Huber. I met him at my local Comicon a couple of years ago, I didn't talk with him much, but he seemed like a real stand-up guy. He actually signed a Dragon Ball print that I bought there totally free.

I guess I'll just cover up that signature with a post-it note, or something.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly a lot of nothing but rumors from unnamed employees. Frankly, it sounds like Ty played into this paranoid delusions and convinced him all these things were true, wrote the affidavit and then had Chuck sign it.
don't forget about
BPkhgMDr.jpg

Aka when he tried to get the victims to claim they were wrong and by saying what they have it will be harder for real victims to come forward
tried to get funimation to claim they were wrong and donate 512k to charity
and tried to get Vic off with a slap on the wrist.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, who is Chuck?

googles

Ahh man, the VA for Kurogiri in My Hero? Damn, his voice is pretty cool too. Shame he's team Vic.