• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting anything to come from the claims that Beard faked the signatures on those affadavitz, but boy do I have egg on my face.

Chuck Huber is accusing Chris Sabat of pulling a "casting couch" to hire some actresses.
Ironically, it's more likely Vic did that as his side-piece, Chelsea Beard, was cast as an extra in a show he was ADR Director on.
He actually wasn't accusing Sabat of it, the affadavit is just worded weird to make it seem that way. He specifically does not mention Sabat's name in that section just "funimation employees."

Which as you said, people have guessed that is because Vic either was the one or one of the ones who did it and Huber just didn't want to say it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is CBS All Access worth it now!?

EDijy6GXsAABE_Z

;)

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting anything to come from the claims that Beard faked the signatures on those affadavitz, but boy do I have egg on my face.

He actually wasn't accusing Sabat of it, the affadavit is just worded weird to make it seem that way. He specifically does not mention Sabat's name in that section just "funimation employees."

Which as you said, people have guessed that is because Vic either was the one or one of the ones who did it and Huber just didn't want to say it.

Ah okay. Just Chuck not helping the case at all then...
Making it an even bigger clusterfuck..

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay. Just Chuck not helping the case at all then...
Making it an even bigger clusterfuck..
Everything about his affidavit was a garbage fire for the plaintiffs and it's insane that they filed it. That's not even taking into account that they committed fraud by doing so.

Speaking of which. If the incredibly damaging to Vic stuff in Huber's affidavit was deemed okay by Beard, you gotta wonder what he deemed so bad that he removed it...

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about his affidavit was a garbage fire for the plaintiffs and it's insane that they filed it. That's not even taking into account that they committed fraud by doing so.

Speaking of which. If the incredibly damaging to Vic stuff in Huber's affidavit was deemed okay by Beard, you gotta wonder what he deemed so bad that he removed it...

With the level of competence on display here, I yet *again* have to turn the notch down a bit on Percy. I will now be impressed if he enters the courthouse without shitting his pants.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

Because what Chuck had said was a total disaster for Vic. (And himself)

I really wonder now what actually happened and what was removed.

I wonder if Beard signed it himself (his firm was caught doing it).

That'd explain why it was impossible to make any sense of Huber's affidavit.

And moreover it would mean Beard just threw that heavily edited nonsensical bullshit just to give food to Nick.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

Because what Chuck had said was a total disaster for Vic. (And himself)

I really wonder now what actually happened and what was removed.

I wonder if Beard signed it himself (his firm was caught doing it).

That'd explain why it was impossible to make any sense of Huber's affidavit.

And moreover it would mean Beard just threw that heavily edited nonsensical bullshit just to give food to Nick.

There are 4 new filings from Beard on Shane Holmberg's gdrive. I am gonna just wait for one of the lawyers to have a look first, since it seems Ty is both filing and striking to remove the latest Vic affidavit. He seems to be playing 48D Tic Tac Toe or something.

Edit: Ok, I am not the only confused by that, at least:

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This has always been a garbage fire of a lawsuit. I just never expected Percy to start throwing entire barrels of gasoline onto the fire.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go stock up on popcorn... I somehow thought the stupidity would be hitting on Friday. But it seems that when you hire Beard & Bollocks, every day is stupid day.
We're getting livetweets of multiple of Beard's disasters and probably of some competent responses from Defense later today. Then a Nintendo Direct tomorrow! What a good week.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Simply saying "we goofed" and falling on the judge's sword would have been much better both from a "I need to salvage my professsional reputation" standpoint and "i need not to piss the judge off further" than this motion that makes them look incredibly shifty and even more incompetent

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Simply saying "we goofed" and falling on the judge's sword would have been much better both from a "I need to salvage my professsional reputation" standpoint and "i need not to piss the judge off further" than this motion that makes them look incredibly shifty and even more incompetent
Lol, right?
It seems like they would have been better admitting "it wasn't done on time, we got it in a bit late, please forgive us." rather than "Hey lets lie and then also attach evidence that shows we lied."

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Beard's firm is already on record for doing this kind of shit and has been sanctioned for it. I'm going to guess that they do this kind of stuff pretty frequently, but they usually get away with it with cases that aren't under such intense scrutiny by the general public like this one.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
We're getting livetweets of multiple of Beard's disasters and probably of some competent responses from Defense later today. Then a Nintendo Direct tomorrow! What a good week.

Also Steven Universe yesterday and Ducktales today. Lots of entertaining things this week 😊

Stephanie Nadolny doesn't have anything to do with the current Lawsuit or with Vic's behavior so let's drop that.

If she has made allegations let's make a new thread rather than mudding the waters more than the conVics already have.

This Comment from me aged poorly. Screech was on live stream claiming she is the woman that Sabatt supposedly tried to casting couch.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

It is kind of amazing the way the supposedly exculpatory evidence these guys come up with not only fail to deflect the accusations but only, in the face of further investigation, make their side look even worse.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Jebus ... here comes the pain!

"This is an instance when the integrity of the Court is threatened by the behavior of a licensed attorney in the State of Texas,and three witnesses willing to participate in his schemes.Severe sanctions are warranted, including the striking of the "Response," "Motion to Strike," and Second Amended Petition. "

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Can't they just pump the breaks?
It was labor day weekend!
I can't follow everything!
Can the lolyers be competent for once so I don't feel like I missed 2 seasons of game of thrones over the weekend?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ty Beard out here thinking he's some hot shit S1-S2 Tyrion Lannister but really he's S7-S8 Tyrion
At this point I'm more thinking S8 ep 5 Euron.
As in a blowhard who think he's going in the glory when he's a douche that can be easily dispatched by an opponent with hands tied.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
At this point I'm more thinking S8 ep 5 Euron.
As in a blowhard who think he's going in the glory when he's a douche that can be easily dispatched by an opponent with hands tied.

Right, I think in a way Rekieta's weird monologues about justice are probably more in line with S7-S8 Tyrion in retrospect

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind Vic's case was absolutely not a guaranteed loss, nor was a potential case against funimation.

Something even Greg has acknowledged.

It's just that Ty has so completely fucked Vic's case form start to finish that he now can never recover from it.

So in a way it's a blessing he went for this guy.
"Not a guaranteed loss" is quite a ways from "a good idea", though. If Beard was not a complete idiot - so we're looking at a universe where there's an entirely different human being with his name and profession - you'd still have to deal with the fact that Vic has the uphill battle of proving falsity, you'd still have to deal with the fact that he has to prove that contracts were actually affected by the defendants, you'd have to isolate it to those you accused and avoid Vic's existing reputation. If you can't realistically handle these than at least you'd need to successfully manage intimidation tactics before your suit is taken down.

I'm not convinced that Beard ever had a realistic possibility of winning this suit. As in, the suit that Beard actually created. What he might have been able to have won is a much more carefully thought out, probably much more focused and specific suit that targeted specific vulnerable areas - like, say, if they had already consulted with the various cons beforehand and focused on tortious interference with Kamehacon specifically from the start.

In fact, consider that Beard has been completely changing his story as the flaws with his filings have been coming out. I thing that even he on some level had realized that his suit wasn't going to work and tried to change it as far as he could as it went.

I'd agree it was a blessing, and Beard's incompetence doubly so, but I think the blessing was that Vic left the secure position of just laying back and being comfortable that the burden of proof lies in his favour position if someone goes after him and instead entered into one where all of the responsibility falls on him. If Vic had decided that he was okay with cutting his losses than he'd likely suffer no punishment beyond losing his VA career and being dropped by a bunch of conventions.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the new filing, and yeah, Sean Lemoine is pissed off. This isn't just lawyer shade anymore, weapons are out and it's time for the Iron Price (to keep the GoT thing going from the last few posts).

This is a bold move, Lemoine runs the real risk of going too far in the Court's eyes.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this Beard's first case of this type. I swear I read someone where that he was primary an estate lawyer

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so it seems like the "reported" error of submission of the file being too big was a lie.
The system keeps track of when and why things are submitted or rejected and it seems like they initially tried filing 15 minutes after the deadline so the system was set to not allow any changes, which is why the file had problems being submitted... because the system was working as intended and they missed the deadline.

EDjdtYdX4AAZQ2w

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Reading through the new filing, and yeah, Sean Lemoine is pissed off. This isn't just lawyer shade anymore, weapons are out and it's time for the Iron Price (to keep the GoT thing going from the last few posts).

This is a bold move, Lemoine runs the real risk of going too far in the Court's eyes.

Not sure how bold it is. This seems a pretty clear cut case of Beard falsifying notarization of three different documents that he submitted to the court. He got a months extension and still couldn't find the time apparently (these live streams apparently both take time and cause hangovers) to get these documents notarized legally.

He also lies in a different document about why he filed it late. This seems like amateur hour to the max.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
So, since Friday at midnight, Ty has:
  1. Filed a critical motion in an unfinished form a half hour after a deadline he had asked for a month ago;
  2. Included in that motion fraudulently notarized affidavits (that also sink his client's case, one of which contradicts his client's sworn testimony);
  3. Threatened the other side when confronted about the notarization issue;
  4. Filed a request to forgive his lateness with the judge that lies about the reason the motion was late, and includes documents demonstrating those lies;
  5. Tried to withdraw the affidavits due to "defects in form"; and
  6. Included the content of the affidavits as "unsworn declarations" in an amended petition he filed even though he is barred from submitting it without leave from the judge.
He keeps making more mistakes in an effort to cover for the ones he made earlier. All of these are unforced errors.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The fact that he doesnt get how notaries work is the most telling to me.

I am a notary and I often have people bringing in presigned documents or try to get me to notarize things for people not there and we tell them "No!"

Those are just regular people though, most haven't even heard of notaries outside of pop culture at best.

Percy is a fucking lawyer. He should know better than ME let alone randos off the street.

And as he is usually an Estates lawyer it makes me question how many wills, trust and power of attornies he's just stamped with no one being there at all.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how bold it is. This seems a pretty clear cut case of Beard falsifying notarization of three different documents that he submitted to the court. He got a months extension and still couldn't find the time apparently (these live streams apparently both take time and cause hangovers) to get these documents notarized legally.

He also lies in a different document about why he filed it late. This seems like amateur hour to the max.

It really depends on the Judge here. Many of them take a very dim view of what they perceive as someone trying to do their job for them, and you never want to piss off the Judge presiding over your case.

I mean, yeah, this shit that Percy is pulling here is freaking obvious. But generally you want the court to come to their own conclusions (even if you're kinda guiding them down your path), not just flat out say "you must do this".

EDIT: An example from Mike Dunford's current livetweetstreamthang on this new filing:

The meter was at 15. The first paragraph redlined it anyway. The second blows it up completely. This is also a high-risk paragraph; in some ways even moreso than the conclusion. It's perilously close to being a challenge to the judge; judges don't always take that well.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
And here is the document explaining why most of what the mensa beard wants to file is inadmissible anyways:

And given how he has reacted so far, I am not even sure he entirely understand how much he has fucked this up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to make me feel stupid when it's pointed out but I have to ask; how do you tell if the forms haven't been notarized correctly? Were there artifacts from doing it digitally or something?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

If this were a normal case with normal lawyers and standard litigation practices, yes, he definitely would run the risk of going too far out there.

In this situation though, Beard is not only trying to gaslight the court, but is also flagrantly disregarding Civil Procedure rules (there are many, many, many reasons that you don't amend your goddamn complaint/petition days before the actual hearing)... Judge could very well be like "good thing they said it and not me," which is still not a good spot to be in

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the Judge here. Many of them take a very dim view of what they perceive as someone trying to do their job for them, and you never want to piss off the Judge presiding over your case.

I mean, yeah, this shit that Percy is pulling here is freaking obvious. But generally you want the court to come to their own conclusions (even if you're kinda guiding them down your path), not just flat out say "you must do this".

EDIT: An example from Mike Dunford's current livetweetstreamthang on this new filing:

The meter was at 15. The first paragraph redlined it anyway. The second blows it up completely. This is also a high-risk paragraph; in some ways even moreso than the conclusion. It's perilously close to being a challenge to the judge; judges don't always take that well.

Fair enough, and point taken.

But in cases like this for example, where the judge would have to read through what is now 2.000+ pages to get up to speed, isn't that also kinda their job?

As I read through these documents, they seem to all be in a format explaining why the reach the recommendation and conclusion that they do. So the judge can read the summaries on both sides, doublecheck with the footnotes (LOL Beard) and ofc check that everything is in compliance with the law.

This is just, probably more than any case in recent memory, one side shooting bearded fish in a barrel.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to make me feel stupid when it's pointed out but I have to ask; how do you tell if the forms haven't been notarized correctly? Were there artifacts from doing it digitally or something?

Greg mentioned that. But from the document is seems Lemoine and Johnson mostly reacted to the 3 documents all being notarized on the same date in Lemoines office just before his deadline. One of them, Slatosch, was at a con rather far away, so that rose suspicion. Then they asked for proof, which lead to panic from the Beard.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Greg mentioned that. But from the document is seems Lemoine and Johnson mostly reacted to the 3 documents all being notarized on the same date in Lemoines office just before his deadline. One of them, Slatosch, was at a con rather far away, so that rose suspicion. Then they asked for proof, which lead to panic from the Beard.
Oh, so it's not an issue with the placement of the stamp itself, but that the notary is supposed to identify the people involved and it stretches belief to claim that actually happened?

I'm wondering if maybe Beard should have just spent the weekend on it at this point. Like, it's not going to get any later when it's delivered on the holiday, he could have at least not rushed it out.

EDIT: Beard threatened someone when the notarization issue was brought to him? How is it that I was watching the thread over the weekend and I seem to have missed stuff?

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so it's not an issue with the placement of the stamp itself, but that the notary is supposed to identify the people involved and it stretches belief to claim that actually happened?

I'm wondering if maybe Beard should have just spent the weekend on it at this point. Like, it's not going to get any later when it's delivered on the holiday, he could have at least not rushed it out.

It is that it strains belief that they would all pop into Beards office on the same day to get the documents notarized. Lemoine even made a handy little box with their addresses (OMG DOXX) and how far exactly they each where from Beards office, where the notarization supposedly took place.

Edit: omg...

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

When someone gets their signature notarized they need to present an ID (usually a driver's license) for the notary to verify that they are who they say, give a ink fingerprint in the notary's journal, and sign both the journal and the document. It's pretty unlikely that that guy who was at a con far away to have done that in Beard's office.