• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenotome

Aug 31, 2019

I don't think anyone really knows because she's not willing to just come out and say it, it's always just asides to things she said to other people. But again, she's also an alcoholic with at least 3 DWIs to her name, that's not to the story can't be true but it does put mitigating factors for why she was not rehired as opposed to not having sex with Sabat. If she's got a story to tell, then she should tell it not pussy foot around having Chuck acting as her mouth.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Who knows, but I think of it like this: Let's not forget that while FUNi is certainly innocent of this defamation nonsense, they aren't exactly the good guys, either -- they were just as complicit as anyone else in allowing Vic's antics for this long without consequences. If you were genuinely argue FUNi's work culture was steeped in sex (as in, not devolving into victim-blaming horseshit), that might be one reason why they turned a blind eye for so long.

That, or Huber/Nadolny could just be talking out their ass. Point is, while I'd certainly be disappointed if that was the case, I wouldn't be surprised. Age hardens you that way. :/

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"What even is an anime community, anyway?"

-An actual defense lawyer, 2019

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So when is this thing supposed to come to a head anyway? I know the date has been moved back a few times so where is it now?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably best not to speculate about Nadolny and Huber's story of someone being fired for not performing sexual favors.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My personal vote is that the thread spends at least a page on the fact that this filing attempted a defense based of slightly misworded George Costanza quote.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
So when is this thing supposed to come to a head anyway? I know the date has been moved back a few times so where is it now?

Right now, the TCPA hearing is on this coming Friday, September 6th. There is a very good chance that it'll get continued again due to Percy's shenanigans.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
My personal vote is that the thread spends at least a page on the fact that this filing attempted a defense based of slightly misworded George Costanza quote.

Y'know what, I didn't get to comment on it when I saw it skimming through a couple hours ago, so yeah let's talk about it.

Specifically my favorite part is him referring to it as "the Seinfeld defense", as if that is some accepted parlance. I even decided to Google it just to see what comes up, and no, this particular quote never comes up. Hell, the closest thing to an accepted "Seinfeld defense" according to Google is this:

Beard is literally trying to fucking meme his way through a legal defense. If he could he'd probably slap the gif in the document itself.

And I'd be laughing more except all of this is him perpetuating every toxic tenet of rape culture and promoting harassment and possible harm on others, all because he decided to take the culture war grift further than the average Sargon fanboy.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished reading through Mike Dunford's summary.

This filing is the real world equivalent of the Chewbacca Defense from South Park. Luckily, this is the real world, and the technical issues and outright mistakes and missing pieces is gonna piss off the judge something fierce.

Friday's gonna be LIT.

518C0G%2Bi5AL._SX425_.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

See for yourself:

Furthermore, Monica Rial and Ron Toye appear to be using the "Seinfeld Defense" which is "it is not a lie if you believe it to be true." The misplaced use of this defense further bolsters the fact that their statements were made with malice and thus, qualified privilege does not apply and Vic' lawsuit should not be dismissed.

What makes it additionally absurd is that this "Seinfeld defense" he's ridiculing would probably be good advice in a lot of cases. If you believe it than you can't be intentionally spreading a lie to cause harm, so if the issue is about proving actual malice rather than proving negligence...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, glad to see some commentary; gonna dig in now + in the morning. Looking forward to seeing just how much of a mess this is on a technical level.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
What's this about Chris Sabat as well?
And Chuck is siding with Vic? Really? Urgh...I liked his Hiei

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What's this Huber story? What did Chuck do?
He didn't exactly do anything, but we have an affidavit from him where he supports Vic's case. He basically says that Chris Sabat is the real villain and has bullied Vic for years for being Christian and looking gay, and that he doesn't believe any of the allegations (although he does say that Vic manipulated fans for sex - somehow he doesn't view that as part of being a sexual predator).

Another weird point that I forgot to bring up is that Chuck confessed that he didn't really know anything about sex addiction and has moved on to thinking that Vic is a narcissist. He doesn't seem to know what a narcissist is, though; he seems to think it's just a result of power going to your head as opposed to being a person who deliberately seeks out positions of power and abuses them, as well as manipulating people to achieve that.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Stephanie Nadolny doesn't have anything to do with the current Lawsuit or with Vic's behavior so let's drop that.

If she has made allegations let's make a new thread rather than mudding the waters more than the conVics already have.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's this Huber story? What did Chuck do?
He inserted himself into the Vic situation a while back by writing up a disgusting "both sides" sort of compromise agreement, and then pressured the Defendants (Huber's apparent friends) to sign it, saying that Vic agrees to go to counseling and he will say he's very sorry, and the Defendants agree that they lied/exaggerated all of their claims about Vic, and Funimation agrees to re-hire Vic, and Vic gets to go back to everything being exactly as things were before.

Some foolish people (myself included) went to bat for Huber, suggesting that maybe we didn't know the context of Huber's involvement, and maybe this was a back-and-forth sort of thing where this is the minimum that he got Vic to agree to, and maybe he just brought that potential settlement offer to the Defendants. Maybe he didn't personally sign off on it or endorse it.

Now we know (from his deposition) that the disgusting "agreement" was 100% Huber's idea. He thinks Vic is innocent. He thinks all of his other friends are lying about their claims of harassment and abuse. He supports Vic's legal assault against his (former?) friends for their horrible lies. Chuck Huber is a disgusting piece of shit.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's worse than that. Hubert know Vic is guilty, or at least know that rumors existed about Vic for years, and decided that didn't matter because "both sides."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's worse than that. Hubert know Vic is guilty, or at least know that rumors existed about Vic for years, and decided that didn't matter because "both sides."

It came across to me that he was vaguely aware of Vic, but decided to outright side with him and condemn the rest because of some unrelated gripes with Sabat. Some pettiness trumped over him having an actual take on what happened; I don't even see anything that supports a "both sides" stance.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Over under on Funi cutting ties with Huber? Assuming of course that his casting couch story is false.
Considering it's another smear campaign being spread by Black lawyer himself and Chuck is a bad faith actor who tried to shut up Vic's accusers you can pretty much ignore that accusation. It's only been brought up to save Vic's ass and needless to say Chuck doesn't have a chance of coming back after this.

EDXG8ZpXYAA04Uz

Nadolny had a criminal record with 3 DUIs and that's more than likely the reason she was let go.

EDVXOOZU8AAvDA7

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
When I read through this even I realised the footnotes were a mess and it was hard to find the evidence they referenced (if you look back I said they only added one new affidavit, which is incorrect and this is why i made that mistake.) Reading Mike Dunford's analysis of it really hammers home how badly they fucked them up though.

Edit: that fsckemail Chain linked above that *definitely* isn't Greg wink wink explains why Beard filing late is even worse than other lawyers pointed out. He also points out the defence still probably won't waste time trying to strike it though because it's so bad why bother.

But basically, because he electronically filed on Saturday it won't be considered filed until the next working day. Which give you this is a holiday weekend in the US means by filing 27 minutes late he actually filed 3 days late.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if he cut ties himself given the animosity on display here.
With how much he seemingly hates working for Funi it's kinda surprising he didn't leave a long time ago.
Or he didn't actually hate working there at all and is just saying that now in a pathetic attempt to help Vic.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily, you will 100% definitely see the Defense use Huber's affidavit multiple times in the hearing itself. It's scathing for Vic and it's kinda insane that Vic's lawyer filed it.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Beard is probably going to end up catching a bar complaint soon because holy fuck a lot of what I was able to skim (and this isn't even getting into him blowing the efiling deadline) could be straight up malpractice

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Those possibly falsified signatures could be REAL BAD, if they are in fact digitally added in.

I know people keep saying "Beard can't be that stupid" and then he keeps showing us in fact, he is even more stupid than we could have ever expected but... surely he can't be that stupid. Surely he wouldn't falsify an Affidavit, knowing that his firm has been sanctioned for falsifying documents before and as a result everything he files would be intensely scrutinised?

Risking being wrong again, i'm going to lean towards "He's not that stupid" and the signatures are legit. It's still pretty stupid though given he apparently got all the signatures for what he acts like is an important piece of evidence the day before the filing was due...

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I know people keep saying "Beard can't be that stupid" and then he keeps showing us in fact, he is even more stupid than we could have ever expected but... surely he can't be that stupid. Surely he wouldn't falsify an Affidavit, knowing that his firm has been sanctioned for falsifying documents before and as a result everything he files would be intensely scrutinised?

Risking being wrong again, i'm going to lean towards "He's not that stupid" and the signatures are legit. It's still pretty stupid though given he apparently got all the signatures for what he acts like is an important piece of evidence the day before the filing was due...

There are layers of stupidity in that filing that are just amazing. From "why in the world would he file that" to "wait, did he just falsify signatures to file it?"

I am not entirely sure Mr. Mensa Man has *any* clue what he is doing. There are no charitable readings of this. Even if he just wanted to tank the case asap so he could get his grifting money and move on, why the hell would he do it in a way that completely destroys his reputation and, possibly, his career?

I have had one foot in the "he can't possibly be that stupid" camp, but the more layers are dug up through the hilarious threads analyzing this trainwreck of a filing, I simply have to admit that yes... he can indeed be that fucking stupid.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say you truly believe the accusations against vic were not worthy of him being fired because what he had done to jamie and monica wasn't that terrible and he would have apologized if they had told him he was out of line.

Let's say you think he only really had sex with adult fans and so you consider that these are consenting adults, and while there is a power imbalance, it's akin to any famous person on Earth that has done the same so you think it's okay.

Let's say you believe every other instance of improper behavior is either made up or blown out of proportions, or that they were from a different time and things have changed.

Ok. That effectively makes you a piece of trash, * but *

Why in the fucking world did Huber torpedo his own career for literally no reason ?

1) He did not help Vic's case whatsoever (if anything he made it worse)

2) He literally shit on his "friends" and employers, going as far as to imply some really seriously disturbed things

3) Let's say he really did witness some bad stuff, if he had actual concerns and wanted to "come out", this lolsuit was absolutely NOT the place to do so

I know you guys were like "lol flat earther, he dumb" but being this dumb would mean he doesn't even have the cognitive ability to own a twitter account and be able to form sentences.

This is insane.

Did Ty just make that thing and signed it for him ? In which case Chuck deserves it because he shouldn't have shared anything with those idiots
Did Chuck have some dirt on Funimation ? Then he should have made it clear from the start instead of the cowardly way
Is he literally, clinically insane ? That is apparently more and more likely

Hopefully they recast and don't just let him hang out after he shit the bed and push to have his roles undermined but tolerate him like they did with Vic for years.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Huber was trying to form a narrative for Vic. He was sympathetic and he was definitely massaging things in that direction, but I don't think everything he said was straight up 100% bullshit or else he wouldn't have said that Vic manipulated fans for sex.

Since his whole testimony is so laser focused on how much Sabat sucks, I viewed it as him siding with Vic in order to get back at Sabat. He mentions being initially more sympathetic to Monica and all at first then shifting his position, which certainly seems true enough, and seems to imply that he doesn't really care about whether his position now is correct or not because he isn't even claiming to have done so in response to new information.

Basically, Huber probably feels similarly oppressed as he claims Sabat is oppressing Vic, despite seemingly not having the ability to claim that Sabat talked badly of anyone who wasn't a sex predator. Like, he's vicariously offended because Sabat said mean things about a conservative Christian. He doesn't like how Vic acts and mentions it on his own accord, but willfully looks that over because it's a more suitable position for him to talk about what he's really interested in.

It also has be wondering if the meaning behind the "Sabat isn't going to help you" line isn't totally different than any of us thought, and was rooted in how Huber was trying to turn everyone against Sabat during this.

Is he literally, clinically insane ? That is apparently more and more likely

Considering how Chuck has been jumping between poorly understood references to mental illness as a defense for Vic, let's not do that.

If anything, some of the wackier elements of his personality fall in line with how he seems to view himself as oppressed. Consider how he seeks out fringe science - as in, science that's rejected by mainstream scientists - and started a Catholic school which was noted for being more fringe conservative and traditional than normal Catholic schools. We're starting to see the pattern where he pushes himself into these unpopular positions.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Damn, disappointed in Chuck,really.
Second, didn't like he say he doesn't condone Vic's acts?
What is his beef with Chris? What did he imply?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Huber was trying to form a narrative for Vic. He was sympathetic and he was definitely massaging things in that direction, but I don't think everything he said was straight up 100% bullshit or else he wouldn't have said that Vic manipulated fans for sex.

Since his whole testimony is so laser focused on how much Sabat sucks, I viewed it as him siding with Vic in order to get back at Sabat. He mentions being initially more sympathetic to Monica and all at first then shifting his position, which certainly seems true enough, and seems to imply that he doesn't really care about whether his position now is correct or not because he isn't even claiming to have done so in response to new information.

Basically, Huber probably feels similarly oppressed as he claims Sabat is oppressing Vic, despite seemingly not having the ability to claim that Sabat talked badly of anyone who wasn't a sex predator. Like, he's vicariously offended because Sabat said mean things about a conservative Christian. He doesn't like how Vic acts and mentions it on his own accord, but willfully looks that over because it's a more suitable position for him to talk about what he's really interested in.

It also has be wondering if the meaning behind the "Sabat isn't going to help you" line isn't totally different than any of us thought, and was rooted in how Huber was trying to turn everyone against Sabat during this.

But why ?

This lawsuit is not even about Sabat whatsoever. He's not even a defendant.

If he had any genuine issue with Sabat he could have handled this so many other ways.

Just trashing your friends and employers in a random ass irrelevant affidavit is so mind bogging I can't come up with any reason he would do that.

Like if they had tried a suit for wrongful termination I'd at least *see* the point. But a defamation lawsuit where the dude in question isn't even involved ???

He implied that Sabat may have given out roles to women responding favorably to his advances, and vice versa.

A literal career suicide by Chuck. It's a bit unfathomable why he did this at the moment.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

He's still saying that. He condemned his infidelity at the start of the affidavit and later said that he manipulates his fans for sex. That's what makes it more damning that he's taking Vic's side; it's not explicitly clear that he knows better.

He repeatedly refers to Chris Sabat mocking Vic for his Christianity and for "looking gay", as well as some other things like finding ways to make money through his VA position and supporting Trump. It's started, but it's not hard to infer that Chuck feels like he's similarly oppressed considering that he's notedly a conservative Christian too.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Didnt the mods literally say to stop bringing up Sabat because it literally has nothing to do with the case

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt the mods literally say to stop bringing up Sabat because it literally has nothing to do with the case
That was the audio recording stuff, we're discussing different Sabat stuff now because a the latest filing references him a bunch for seemingly no good or relevant reason which is...bizarre. Makes it relevant to the thread.

Those leaked audio recordings are still irrelevant. Even more irrelevant than we assumed actually as even Beard wasn't stupid enough to try and attach them to the case.

So is Funimation sketchy as a whole? How credible are Chuck's accusations about Chris?
I don't think Funi are sketchy as a whole (no more than any other big company at least...) Unless I missed something in Chuck's deposition though he doesn't really even accuse Sabat of much. Just says he's scared of losing his job for backing Vic (which he should be) and that Sabat talked shit about Vic calling him a pedophile (because he is) and so on.

Last edited:

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
That was the audio recording stuff, we're discussing different Sabat stuff now because a the latest filing references him a bunch for seemingly no good or relevant reason which is...bizarre. Makes it relevant to the thread.

Those leaked audio recordings are still irrelevant. Even more irrelevant than we assumed actually as even Beard wasn't stupid enough to try and attach them to the case.

Didn't see that, my bad

I thought I saw a mod saying to not bother with the Sabat stuff from the filing because its just as irrelevant, But regardless, I'm so fucking sick of them throwing shit at the wall to cover for Vic.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So is Funimation sketchy as a whole? How credible are Chuck's accusations about Chris?
Who knows? Keep in mind that Funi did keep Vic around despite the long history of his behavior with women though so they certainly aren't clean. Huber is pretty much committing career suicide with this move though.

What gets me is that Huber gains nothing here since Vic is most certainly going to lose this case. There were definitely better ways to go about this.

Oct 25, 2017
He's still saying that. He condemned his infidelity at the start of the affidavit and later said that he manipulates his fans for sex. That's what makes it more damning that he's taking Vic's side; it's not explicitly clear that he knows better.

He repeatedly refers to Chris Sabat mocking Vic for his Christianity and for "looking gay", as well as some other things like finding ways to make money through his VA position and supporting Trump. It's started, but it's not hard to infer that Chuck feels like he's similarly oppressed considering that he's notedly a conservative Christian too.
He also says that he never heard Marchi complain about any sexual assault or he would have heard something despite standing up for her in twitter.

EDXNAZ4W4AA4pPb

I really wish you would know the both side-ism when you see it and stop giving him time of day. He's just trying to muddy the waters so people will shut up about Vic. He's already asked them to lie about it and got frustrated when they didn't.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Funimation being sketchy as a whole is, to a certain degree, not news. There is no party, not even Vic himself, who has been presenting the idea that the allegations of Vic being a pedophile or a molester are new. Funimation still kept him on for some reason and that's something to be criticized.

As for trusting Huber's account of Sabat. A principle I've heard elsewhere is that it's easier to trust an account the less motive they have to be giving you this information. Since he's the one who brought Sabat up and clearly wants to shift the conversation to being about him, the part of Huber's account that I trust the least is where he talks about Sabat. Maybe there's truth to it, but I'm not going to take it too seriously until someone corroborates it, except on using it to figure out what's going on in Huber's own head.