• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
FMA is a reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally good show, like goddam Arakawa is a genius.
And of course people ascribe Arakawa, the animation team and the localization people's work to the goddamn voice actor.
Just one single voice actor too! Like, the rest of the cast is waaaaaay better than Vic, but they act like Vic MAKES the show because he voices the main character.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
All this stuff reminds me of how many Vicstans during the court case posted things like "NO VIC DON'T ADMIT THAT", making it blatantly obvious they didn't care so much about if Vic did those things, as much as them just wanting to defend Vic.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, had an overnight explosion of JAQoffers and concern trolls mucking up the thread. Happy to see ERA staff giving out warnings here.

Newsflash for all y'all, especially the Vicstans trying muddy the narrative: none of this means shit to the lawsuit. God help Percy if he tries to get this stuff submitted as evidence, there's a good chance the judge will laugh him out of court.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to laugh every time that the usual crowd tries to act woke to somehow get back at people. "All that shit I've been jumping through flaming hoops to defend over the last several months is bad now for this one specific case! Take that!"

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised none of them have made a thread on the Funimation stuff yet. They'd probably get lots of people here on board with finding it disgusting if they didn't just use it to derail another topic.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised none of them have made a thread on the Funimation stuff yet. They'd probably get lots of people here on board with finding it disgusting if they didn't just use it to derail another topic.
That's because they don't care about the transgression, they just care about defending the pedo creeper.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My position is on this case that, Vic i believe has done some wrong(personal opinion). At same time im for due process and I want to see some evidence against vic. I can't live by the "listen and believe" only despite that personal opinion. That said, Ive observed a lot of this thread. The one thing I will say is that throughout this process, imo a lot of folks in this thread seem to be willing let shit go or dismiss things as not "relevant" for their own convenience. As long as the "prize" is got. This has led to what imo has been shitty behavior being accepted when things look in the wrong. I decided to say something about the Ron Toye thing first cuz to me, that was disturbing. And still is. This latest thing with the va yeah it comes off as a joke but im willing to bet if that came from the "other side", a lot of you, no almost all of the people here who are not really neutral(or at least not really trying to be) would be singing a different tune. Their seems to be no self reflection. Since ive been accused of trolling, i'll make this one post of my stance and move back on to the other stuff I enjoy about this site and never bother with this again.

Fine let's humor you for 5 minutes.

I personally think Sean Schemmel is a humorless asshole and he needs to apologize immediately for even saying the f-word as a joke. For me I wouldn't be to surprised if he is a homophobe. He has to prove it to me through deeds not words. Doesn't have anything to do with Vic suing people for defamation.

Chris Sabbat should clarify if he really did send that message if he hasn't already. If he did he needs to apologize for using autistic as a slur l, even against kiwi fans. He has always seemed like an upstanding guy to me so I hope he will make amends. Doesn't have anything to do with Vic suing people for defamation.

Ron Toye is a complete asshole if he beat and threatened his ex wife. I do as a default believe his ex wife, but since there actually is due process and court proceedings I'd like to see them all. He has also apologized for that behavior and sought thearpy for his issues so good on him for that. And despite being someone Vic is suing... Doesn't have anything to do with Vic suing people for defamation. Because past bad acts can not be used against a person in court and it does nothing to speak to if he's lying now or not.

There. I care about these issues but since they are unrelated to the KickVic Saga I don't talk about them here. When they find something from Ron, Monica, Jamie or Funimation that proves they are intentionally lying with the intention to cause Vic to lose his jobs... I'll talk about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The "leaks" are actually blowing over quicker than I thought. It went from #2 trending in the US to #19 trending in less than 4 hours or so. Before long it won't even show up. In fact as far as I can tell all this has done for some people is remind them of all of the shit Vic is accused of. What a backfire for all the Vic defenders who were desperately spreading this in order to defend him lol

tzmshizm

Oct 25, 2017
It's that usual 'I know you find this offensive so here is a video of someone you like saying that offensive thing!' Tactic a lot of right wing people do. It's the dumbest deflect method because it's based around the idea that these two things are equal in intensity.

Yes, Sean saying something offensive is bad. It's a slur and he should apologize. But there is no way in this world that it is at all equal to what Vic has done. Saying an offensive word is not equal to multiple instances of sexual assault.

Beyond that , it's specifically meant to demonize the people that are against Vic, as if it neuters the entire thing.

Where it falls apart the most is the fact that the people yelling to look at how bad these people are probably don't actually find that slur offensive in the slightest and probably say it themselves on a regular basis. It's incredibly hypocritical.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah they don't seem to get that adding "See Vic isn't as bad as this" that only makes uninformed people look up "Wait what did Vic do?"

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The events of the last 24 hours give me a suspicion that Percy's final filings today are going to be super cringe.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit when I saw 4 new pages I hoped Ty had filed his brief. Turns out it was just someone shit stirring.

Oct 25, 2017
The "leaks" are actually blowing over quicker than I thought. It went from #2 trending in the US to #19 trending in less than 4 hours or so. Before long it won't even show up. In fact as far as I can tell all this has done for some people is remind them of all of the shit Vic is accused of. What a backfire for all the Vic defenders who were desperately spreading this in order to defend him lol

Are kids in school right now?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The shit that's coming out shouldn't be excused; 10 years ago (which is really not long ago at all!), edgy comedy, etc. does not keep things from being bad. That being said, it's obviously not coming out in good faith and sincere apologies/actions would all that's expected (though that should happen instead of it being glossed over completely).

If anything, I'm just amazed they resorted to spreading that instead of leaning harder on whatever that Ron stuff is (I still haven't actually seen anything on it as I've reasonably fallen behind on the Threadnought and am just catching up more now), since that's at least like vaguely related to this even if it still means absolutely nothing in practice.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That being said, it's obviously not coming out in good faith and sincere apologies/actions would all that's expected (though that should happen instead of it being glossed over completely)

No one is glossing over this at all. What is being said in regards to both the Threadnaught and this thread, which I refer to as the Threadscort, is saying that none of this is relevant to the current lawsuit being discussed.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
This situation reminds me a lot of when people discovered those Rugrats storyboards where Tommy's dad was depicted as an abuser and child molester.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
What really undermines this supposed "hypocrisy" for me is that if Schemmel, Sabat, and the other VAs involve make a sincere apology for what they said in the tapes, I'd have no problem forgiving them (even if I'm not going to be more skeptical of their character moving forward). They've done enough good lately for me to easily believe that they've changed for the better in the nearly two decades since those recording sessions took place.

What Vic's done can't be spirited away with an apology. He's caused real, tangible harm to untold people and got away with it for YEARS. If anything, what these tapes prove is HOW he got away with it: the studio culture was such that awful behaviour ran rampant with little consequence, people could do disgusting stuff in the name of "jokes" and it took years and years for it to catch up to them. Hell, according to sworn affidavits, Vic was STILL doing this crap as recently as last year, and has showed no desire to change or make amends for what he's done.

I have to wonder how Funi panels will be like if the Vic stans were to come in and try to do some damage. Then again how many of them actually go to cons. Think back to Anime NYC during the whole goblin slayer controversy, there weren't anyone talking about it or showing support for the show.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this thread exploded. I think I remember seeing some of those driveby posters but not anything about them, which I take as evidence that I've seen them shitposting before. I also think it's interesting that - unless I missed it - no one posted or asked for the leaked audio records but you've got people leaping into 160 page thread for the first time assuming we all know what they are.

This situation reminds me a lot of when people discovered those Rugrats storyboards where Tommy's dad was depicted as an abuser and child molester.
That was actually my first thought! No mention of legal action there. You can criticize the humour used, but that's just people blowing off steam behind the scenes. That much isn't unusual or illegal.

I do think it's important to remember, though, that Funimation isn't the good guy here. Vic was allowed to abuse as many people as he did because he was enabled over a long time. I don't know if it's Funimation's owner or if there are other involved. So not only do I not think Vic is the only bad guy in this case, but I think a necessity of this case is that he's not the only bad guy.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I saw it trending this morning and looked up what pearls were being clutched over and saw a post with a guy acting offended that Bulma and Chi-Chi were giggling about penises on a hot mic.

I don't understand how that's supposed to help the case of their serial predator but to see them pleading for people to retweet the hashtag to make it trend just shows how desperate they are.

W/R/T Schemmel and Sabat's antics, if they apologize for saying dumb shit in the recording booth that'd probably be best. Very strange that it'd be recorded, none of it was very clever or worth saving.

For an example of recordings that actually have some value, Berserk had very funny outtakes that you can find on YouTube.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, [sigma] popped into a THQ thread just to talk about how bad Era's reputation is

Oh hey, DaSorcerer7 made a driveby post in a Sugiyama thread

Oh hey, Dreazy goes into a thread about female representation in FighterZ and talks about all the characters he'd prefer over women and whines about how Sony censored Dead or Alive

Weird that they people suddenly started caring about sexual abuse from a nerd culture celebrity all of a sudden. Or, uh, some other stuff that came out during the discussion of the above, I guess.

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And of course people ascribe Arakawa, the animation team and the localization people's work to the goddamn voice actor.
And not even the original one (which is typically hired with the author's recommendation).
giphy.webp

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen this posted in here

Ushio & Tora voice actor Brett Weaver issued a comment to Anime News Network after photos posted on Twitterappeared to dispute his previous statements that he prevented fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna from sitting next to Macross voice actress Mari Iijima at her request at Tekkoshocon 2007.

Regarding the above photos, Weaver commented to ANN, "I have seen those pictures. I am at a loss. I know that Mari [Iijima] asked me for help, and I remember saying a brief thing to Vic. I even spoke to my wife about it and she remembers me talking about it on that day. It was 12 years ago. I know I helped, but I guess I misremembered about where we sat. I am trying to remember if we had more than one panel. This was one of those situations where it wasn't really a big thing, so it hasn't really sat in the forefront of my mind."

Jim Gogal, who was the was President of the Board of Tekkoshocon Inc. and Chief Executive Officer in 2010 told ANN that Iijima's room was moved once during the 2010 event. According to Gogal, "She had reported to me that Mignogna had been calling her room and showed up there at one point. She was moved to a different room inside the same hotel. This room was booked under a different name to prevent any future incidents. Iijima was also given extra security afterwards." Gogal said Iijima remained in her new room for the duration of the event.

Gogal also stated, "Mignogna and Iijima's schedules were specifically made so they would not encounter each other at her [Iijima's] request. This was because, as she relayed to me, his past behavior and harassment to her."

ANN sent a query to Iijima about the alleged incidents involving Mignogna at either the 2007 or 2010 Tekkoshocon event. Iijima declined to comment on the matters.

pictures and a but more info in the link

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Animal House uses the f word several times, mostly because it didn't mean what it did back then.
What? Yes... yes it absolutely meant the same thing back then as it does now.

Sean really does need to come out and apologize for this.

Does it change anything about Vic, the shit he's done, or the fact that he's gonna lose his lawsuits? No.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Twitter so I don't know the full content of the leaks aside from what's posted here. If you think it's notable, it should probably be spun off to its own thread.

If slurs are being used it probably merits an apology - even if it isn't meant to be released to the public, you're setting the tone for your workplace culture if you allow that to fly around - but if it's discussed here it only serves to distract from a separate issue.

Last edited:

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally Chris and Sean will both come out and apologize for their words, and make it clear that they no longer find that type of language to be acceptable.

In the end these leaks do nothing to help Vic in the slightest though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get how Vic had such a rabid cult even before the woman haters latched onto his defense.

Like, I love FMA but I wont watch the dub because I think Vic sucks as a VA
Is it really a true fanbase or is it more just crazy alt right people latching onto Vic looking for the next big controversy to raise a crazy internet war over?

I highly doubt most people actually care about Vic but are rather just looking for a fight.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get how Vic had such a rabid cult even before the woman haters latched onto his defense.

Like, I love FMA but I wont watch the dub because I think Vic sucks as a VA
He plays a lotta pretty boi characters in anime and characters named at young girls. Which allowed for his predatory behavior

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really a true fanbase or is it more just crazy alt right people latchong onto Vic looking for the next big controversy to raise a crazy internet war over?

Column A and Column B.

But yeah, I'd wager that it's more on the crazy asses who just wanna latch on to something.

He plays a lotta pretty boi characters in anime and characters named at young girls. Which allowed for his predatory behavior

This as well

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like I missed the trolls, but regardless it's probably worth moving discussion about the "leaked VA" stuff to a different thread or something if people want to continue it at all? It's really not relevant to this thread at all.

Edit: Like that one I guess? ^ lol

Summary of the case so far

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
What happened with the court case?

Why does a 162 page catch all thread only have 2 threadmarks?

I think your post got lost in the shuffle as concern trolls started but to answer your questions:

1) The court case is ongoing. Here is a REALLY quick summarised version of events. Hopefully someone can fill this out a bit more and we can get that Threadmarked or something. For reference, I'm not a lawyer so i'll probably mess some of the law-ish bits up and I highly recommend trying to sift through the "Threadnought" on Twitter for better info from actual lawyers.

• Vic sued Funimation, Monica Riel, Ron Toye and Jaimie Marchi for defamation and tortious inteference with contracts. There are also other charges of conspiracy, which are connected to the previous two as you need to prove they did the thing before you can prove they worked together to do the thing.
  • Vic was originally seeking at least $1 Million in damages, with no maximum. That was updated to between $1-5 million when Vic's lawyer realised it's harder to argue that specific damages were made that Vic needs to be compensated for if you don't give a hard number.
  • Vic's lawyer, Ty Beard, has never actually litigated a Defamation case (and it sounds like has possibly never litigated a case?) as he is a real estate lawyer primarily.
  • This lawyer was hired at recommendation of a youtuber who started a GoFundMe campaign to fund the campaign also.
  • Depositions were done of the defendants and Vic. Nothing much of note came from the defendants ones other than that Vic's lawyer didn't know what he was doing and accidentally ended Toye's deposition hours early, thinking Toye had refused to authenticate evidence when in fact he had already authenticated it.
  • Vic's deposition has been largely considered "case destroying." Not only did he admit to multiple of the claims that the lawsuit claims were defamatory statements, he also admitted to never asking the youtuber to create the GFM campaign, endorsing it or indeed even knowing how much he was suing for or what his lawyer was being paid.
  • Worth also noting at this point, Defamation works differently in the US depending on the plaintiff's standing. The over-simplification is, if you're a private figure you can sue for a lot more broad things than a public figure can by simply proving those things hurt him. Vic is arguing that the defendant's actions and claims made him lose money from being able to go to conventions and sell chances to meet him, signed merch, etc etc which puts him squarely into the "Public Figure" standing instead, in which case he needs to prove not only that damage was caused by the claims but also that the defendants knew they were false when they made them. This distinction is really hard to prove and is why public figures rarely win defamation cases in the US (and why Vic's original lawyers told him he didn't have a case...) The defence's response to this has basically been "they weren't lies because we believed the things we said happened and we believe they happened because they happened" followed by statements under oath from many of Vic's victims.
  • Another point worth noting (thank you L Thammy for reminding me on this one) is that the Defense are also arguing that Vic is what is known as "Libel-Proof" basically, that his reputation was already so bad before the statements he is suing over were made that the statements could not possibly have harmed him in any meaningful way. This is something Vic himself accidentally admitted in his Deposition and is also supported by things like Vic hosting a "Rumours" panel about these claims in 2011, more than 8 years before the defendants made their claims.
  • The defendants each filed TCPA motions. This is the Texas version of the SLAPP act, which is basically designed to shut down frivolous lawsuits primarily being used to try cause monetary damages to defendants without actually intending to win a case. Eg: A rich person suing a poor person because they know hiring a lawyer to defend it will destroy their life financially.
  • Worth noting, Riel and Toye's lawyer is incredibly highly regarded in defending TCPA cases, runs a blog educating people about TCPA and is all around basically overqualified for this case.
  • The way the TCPA works means that after it is filed the judge must hear the case for it within a certain number of days. Vic's lawyer got an extension to this in exchange for the Defence getting guarantees that he couldn't drop mystery evidence on the court date as he had previously claimed he was going to do. The Judge agreed to it and set a 7 day deadline on filings before the court case (At the time of writing THIS deadline is today! [Update: he missed it])
  • The TCPA motions will have their day in court a week today, with the judge giving their verdict some point before an October date (I forget what the date is, but it's roughly about a month later.)
  • If they pass then the case is dropped, Vic has to pay each of the defendants legal fees and will also most likely be hit with a sizeable fine as punishment. Vic can then appeal them (and probably will) so it'll still drag on at least another couple of months. If they lose on appeal Vic will need to pay the defence fees for the appeal process also.
  • If they don't pass then the judge will decide whether the case is worth putting in front of a jury or could dismiss it outright himself (I think, again, not a lawyer.)
  • Lawyers on twitter became pretty enamored with the case because one of the initial filings by Vic's lawyer stated (not verbatim, I don't have it in front of me but it's easy to find) that calling Vic "A piece of shit" was defamatory because Vic was "not literally made of fecal matter" an argument so absurdly stupid it has been quoted and laughed at by lawyers literally across the globe at this point. They all seem pretty confident the TCPAs will succeed and many have posted break downs as to why and detailing both the issues with Vic's case and the strength of the defence's arguments.
  • LATEST UPDATE: At the time of writing, Vic's lawyer has failed to file his responses to the TCPA motions, claiming technical issues. This probably won't result in anything meaningful as the Judge will give him some leeway on it due to him being new to this and the Judge wanting to make appealing his result harder for the plaintiff. Expect the defendant's lawyers to make fun of him a bunch though.

2) I have no idea why there are so few threadmarks in this thread. I originally said in this post that someone else should make a threadmark summary post but i'll PM the OP and ask if they can threadmark this one. However I'm not going to be able to update this regularly or anything and it's still no doubt full of errors and missing things so if people @ me i'll try to add corrections when I have time.

Here's the "Quick Navigation" thread of Greg Doucette's "Threadnought" about the case. It's bloated with him retweeting and mocking trolls so it's pretty hard to follow unfortunately but it's by far the most in depth break down of why the case is most likely a massive mistake on Vic's part, regardless of whether he actually did the things the defendants claimed he did or not.

And for funsies here's the current list of Vic's victims who has sworn statements under oath about what he has done.

Hope this helps! I haven't even mentioned any of Beard's misguided "Motion to Strike" stuff which the defence responded to recently so if someone could add that that'd be rad and i'll quote it on here.

Might be worth adding the below tweet to your (rather impressive) post. It has the link to a gdrive with all the court documents so far, for those who would want to dive deeper.

Last edited:

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap this thread took a few turns since I last looked.

Happy to see the smoke bomb got its own thread.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I think your post got lost in the shuffle as concern trolls started but to answer your questions:

1) The court case is ongoing. Here is a REALLY quick summarised version of events. Hopefully someone can fill this out a bit more and we can get that Threadmarked or something. For reference, I'm not a lawyer so i'll probably mess some of the law-ish bits up and I highly recommend trying to sift through the "Threadnaught" on Twitter for better info from actual lawyers.

• Vic sued Funimation, Monica Riel, Ron Toye and Jaimie Marchi for defamation.
  • Vic's lawyer, Ty Beard, has never actually litigated a Defamation case (and it sounds like has possibly never litigated a case?) as he is a real estate lawyer primarily.
  • This lawyer was hired at recommendation of a youtuber who started a GoFundMe campaign to fund the campaign also.
  • Depositions were done of the defendants and Vic. Nothing much of note came from the Defendants ones other than that Vic's lawyer didn't know what he was doing and accidentally ended Toye's deposition hours early, thinking Toye had refused to authenticate evidence when in fact he had already authenticated it.
  • Vic's deposition has been largely considered "case destroying." Not only did he admit to multiple of the claims that the lawsuit claims were defamatory statements, he also admitted to never asking the youtuber to create the GFM campaign, endorsing it or indeed even knowing how much he was suing for or what his lawyer was being paid.
  • Worth also noting at this point, Defamation works differently in the US depending on the plaintiff's standing. The over-simplification is, if you're a private figure you can sue for a lot more broad things than a public figure can by simply proving those things hurt him. Vic is arguing that the defendant's actions and claims made him lose money from being able to go to conventions and sell chances to meet him, signed merch, etc etc which puts him squarely into the "Public Figure" standing instead, in which case he needs to prove not only that damage was caused by the claims but also that the defendants knew they were false when they made them. This distinction is really hard to prove and is why public figures rarely win defamation cases in the US (and why Vic's original lawyers told him he didn't have a case...) The defence's response to this has basically been "they weren't lies because we believed the things we said happened and we believe they happened because they happened" followed by statements under oath from many of Vic's victims.
  • The Defendants each filed TCPA motions. This is the Texas version of the SLAPP act, which is basically designed to shut down frivolous lawsuits primarily being used to try cause monetary damages to defendants without actually intending to win a case. Eg: A rich person suing a poor person because they know hiring a lawyer to defend it will destroy their life financially.
  • Worth noting, Riel and Toye's lawyer is incredibly highly regarded in defending TCPA cases, runs a blog educating people about TCPA and is all around basically overqualified for this case.
  • The way the TCPA works means that after it is filed the judge must hear the case for it within a certain number of days. Vic's lawyer got an extension to this in exchange for the Defence getting guarantees that he couldn't drop mystery evidence on the court date as he had previously claimed he was going to do. The Judge agreed to it and set a 7 day deadline on filings before the court case (At the time of writing THIS deadline is today!)
  • The TCPA motions will have their day in court a week today, with the judge giving their verdict some point before an October date (I forget what the date is, but it's roughly about a month later.)
  • If they pass then the case is dropped, Vic has to pay each of the defendants legal fees and will also most likely be hit with a sizeable fine as punishment. Vic can then appeal them (and probably will) so it'll still drag on at least another couple of months. If they lose on appeal Vic will need to pay the defence fees for the appeal process also.
  • If they don't pass then the judge will decide whether the case is worth putting in front of a jury or could dismiss it outright himself (I think, again, not a lawyer.)
  • Lawyers on twitter became pretty enamored with the case because one of the initial filings by Vic's lawyer stated (not verbatim, I don't have it in front of me but it's easy to find) that calling Vic "A piece of shit" was defamatory because Vic was "not literally made of fecal matter" an argument so absurdly stupid it has been quoted and laughed at by lawyers literally across the globe at this point. They all seem pretty confident the TCPAs will succeed and many have posted break downs as to why and detailing both the issues with Vic's case and the strength of the defence's arguments.

2) I have no idea why there are so few threadmarks in this thread. My suggestion would be that someone take my above summary, fill out the numerous things I missed out, link to the case files (you can find them on twitter) and threadmark that.

Here's the "Quick Navigation" thread of Greg Doucette's "Threadnaught" about the case. It's bloated with him retweeting and mocking trolls so it's pretty hard to follow unfortunately but it's by far the most in depth break down of why the case is most likely a massive mistake on Vic's part, regardless of whether he actually did the things the defendants claimed he did or not.

And for funsies here's the current list of Vic's victims who has sworn statements under oath about what he has done.

Hope this helps! I'd rather not have my post threadmarked itself for various reasons, but again if someone else wants to correct and expand on this and threadmark that you have my blessing to copy and paste this wholesale as a starting point. I haven't, for example, even mentioned any of Beard's misguided "Motion to Strike" stuff which the defence responded to yesterday/today so if someone could add that that'd be rad.

Might be worth adding the below tweet to your (rather impressive) post. It has the link to a gdrive with all the court documents so far, for those who would want to dive deeper.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, I even had that tweet open in a tab with the intention on posting it and forgot lol. Thanks!

Nice job on the post. Certainly does deserve a threadmark.

And as for why this thread has none, a point would be that this thread was at 140+ pages at the time the feature was implemented?

Never the less, your post should get one, but I have no clue how that works. OP adds them?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nice job on the post. Certainly does deserve a threadmark.

And as for why this thread has none, a point would be that this thread was at 140+ pages at the time the feature was implemented?

Never the less, your post should get one, but I have no clue how that works. OP adds them?

True, but there's also already threadmarks for some of the older info in the thread and none for info on the case, which I can understand being confusing to people who are just coming to this now due to the other Funimation stuff.

I have no idea how threadmarks are added

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1) The court case is ongoing. Here is a REALLY quick summarised version of events. Hopefully someone can fill this out a bit more and we can get that Threadmarked or something. For reference, I'm not a lawyer so i'll probably mess some of the law-ish bits up and I highly recommend trying to sift through the "Threadnaught" on Twitter for better info from actual lawyers.

• Vic sued Funimation, Monica Riel, Ron Toye and Jaimie Marchi for defamation.
  • Depositions were done of the defendants and Vic. Nothing much of note came from the Defendants ones other than that Vic's lawyer didn't know what he was doing and accidentally ended Toye's deposition hours early, thinking Toye had refused to authenticate evidence when in fact he had already authenticated it.
  • The Defendants each filed TCPA motions. This is the Texas version of the SLAPP act, which is basically designed to shut down frivolous lawsuits primarily being used to try cause monetary damages to defendants without actually intending to win a case. Eg: A rich person suing a poor person because they know hiring a lawyer to defend it will destroy their life financially.
  • The way the TCPA works means that after it is filed the judge must hear the case for it within a certain number of days. Vic's lawyer got an extension to this in exchange for the Defence getting guarantees that he couldn't drop mystery evidence on the court date as he had previously claimed he was going to do. The Judge agreed to it and set a 7 day deadline on filings before the court case (At the time of writing THIS deadline is today!)

2) I have no idea why there are so few threadmarks in this thread. My suggestion would be that someone take my above summary, fill out the numerous things I missed out, link to the case files (you can find them on twitter) and threadmark that.

Here's the "Quick Navigation" thread of Greg Doucette's "Threadnaught" about the case. It's bloated with him retweeting and mocking trolls so it's pretty hard to follow unfortunately but it's by far the most in depth break down of why the case is most likely a massive mistake on Vic's part, regardless of whether he actually did the things the defendants claimed he did or not.

Hope this helps! I'd rather not have my post threadmarked itself for various reasons, but again if someone else wants to correct and expand on this and threadmark that you have my blessing to copy and paste this wholesale as a starting point. I haven't, for example, even mentioned any of Beard's misguided "Motion to Strike" stuff which the defence responded to yesterday/today so if someone could add that that'd be rad.

Nice job on the summary. A few clarifications.

The independent charges against Jamie, Monica, and Ron are defamation, as well as tortious interference with contracts. For the latter, tortious just means that it's related to damaged (and thereby would grant monetary compensation) rather than a criminal charge, and the idea is that they ruined his existence and future contracts with conventions.

There are also charges that don't stand independently. Against the three, there's conspiracy, which obviously falls apart when there's nothing illegal they were conspiring to do. The other, which is directed at Funimation, is vicarious liability. That's essentially alleging that they were acting as agents of Funimation when they did this, so Funimation should also compensate.

People might be interested in knowing that Vic is asking for over a million dollars. Punitive damages have been mentioned, which means a payout that goes beyond just compensating Vic for damages simply to punish the offender.

I think it's also key to note that defamation requires that the act be intentional, in the sense that they were actually knowingly spreading falsehoods, and not substantially true, as in the very gist of the statement has to be wrong rather than just detail. The onus is on Vic as the accusor to demonstrate these.

I have no idea how threadmarks are added

The OP of the thread can do it, I think mods can as well. You can try PMing someone.