• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Behold. More beardy wisdom:

We are starting to move from "can this guy really be a lawyer?" to "how tf does this person manage to tie his shoes in the morning."

I read the words "basic logic" and I immediately think of every dipshit "rational" Youtuber who thinks being able to parade "logic" in any internet shouting match means they're experts in debate.

Every other day he makes it clearer that he somehow frauded his way through the bar.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every single time I see this thread bumped I think to myself "Vic and his lawyer/supporters surely can't top themselves this time" but behold, they always manage to surprise me.

I wonder what the excuses will be when they lose catastrophically and how those "lawyers" by Vic's side will turn it into an opportunity to scam even more people.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
One of the earliest things to happen was Jessie Pridemore stating she was assaulted by an industry figure too powerful to name, only because it was relevant to how Vic treated her upon hearing the story. Haberkorn then went and released a bunch of screenshots of private conversations he had with her in order to spin the narrative that Pridemore was unstable, outing himself as the subject of Pridemore's story in the process.

Doucette brought it up while musing what Percy's end game is to keep grifting after Vic is done; apparently he's claimed on Twitter that he also represents Haberkorn and the Anime Matsuri dude?

edit: beaten by a more thorough explanation
I was thinking for a microsecond, what if this is the master plan. What if MENSA's tactical genius wanted to install himself the lawyer for all anime adjacent abusers and then ruin their cases, sending them all crashing down?

Then I remembered that he called for doxxing because someone pointed out how stupid he was, and so he's just an asshole who is too dumb to understand how badly he's doing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I was thinking for a microsecond, what if this is the master plan. What if MENSA's tactical genius wanted to install himself the lawyer for all anime adjacent abusers and then ruin their cases, sending them all crashing down?

Then I remembered that he called for doxxing because someone pointed out how stupid he was, and so he's just an asshole who is too dumb to understand how badly he's doing.

You are close though. His master plan was to sue everyone into settlements and do that for all anime adjacent cases that he could trick people into doing.

He was basically counting on the alt right outrage culture to keep him funded for years to come.

He just didn't realize that people settling for lawsuits doesn't happen as often as it seems to in the movies. And that his own friend and state senator had helped pass a law that prevented people for suing for that reason

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
degree8tkfe.png

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not much new. Doucette noted that Beard is now representing Haberkorn.

Haberkorn is the guy who heard a woman saying "I got raped once by a man who I will not identify" and felt compelled to jump to his feet and say "Fuck you! I didn't rape you. You were totally asking for it."

I haven't heard anything about him being fired from his roles like Vic was though.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
I haven't heard anything about him being fired from his roles like Vic was though.
Everyone's so concerned with Vic that I'm wondering if they threw him under the rug.

Todd should definitely be pushed out of the industry for doing what he did to Jessie, hopefully he will be ousted once he embarrasses himself hiring beardo as a lawyer.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Everyone's so concerned with Vic that I'm wondering if they threw him under the rug.

Todd should definitely be pushed out of the industry for doing what he did to Jessie, hopefully he will be ousted once he embarrasses himself hiring beardo as a lawyer.

Is he actually getting represented by Beard? I know Beard has linked him multiple times, but Todd basically did the opposite of what Vic did and went completely radio silent on everything the moment things were turning south.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wow. I somehow got blocked by a Vicstan despite my only Twitter post about this entire thing has been about being sure that notarized statements count as sworn testimony.

Eraser Head

Aug 22, 2019
Oregon
Wow. I somehow got blocked by a Vicstan despite my only Twitter post about this entire thing has been about being sure that notarized statements count as sworn testimony.

You might have been caught up in a block chain. But than again trying to argue with a ConVic is pretty infuriating, I tried to be civil with one over at Arlong Park Forums (before the thread was locked there where only three users who defended Vic after the story came out) and the user pretty much stuck to victim blaming (or denying Monica and Jamie were victims because they actually fought back against twitter users who were harassing them), conspiracy theories, and constantly whining about leaving the forum because they were in the minority (they never did leave in the end). Ironically they accused me being a white knight for the victims, when essentially everything they do is white knighting for Vic.

If you really must engage them online, just remind them how little they know about defamation cases (since they seem to constantly forget that the burden of proof is on Vic), that their hero is serial sexual harasser, pedophile, all-around creep, and an unemployable has-been, who is stuck with an incompetent buffoon for a lawyer and a drunk for a supporter. They're not going to be civil with you, so why be civil with them?

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
The threadnought is rather fascinating atm. The Vicstans are at total attack mode, pretty much without any new material. Seems they are aware of the Friday deadline and somehow think they can win this by screaming louder.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My favorite has been the person who says that everyone against Vic should be branded terrorists and charged accordingly.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we're definitely in the ramp-up period to a big court date again. The amount of idiocy from the Vicstans increases exponentially in direct proportion to their desperation. Friday afternoon should be good times.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nono, they want to make sex pests happy again.

To clarify -- since admittedly my comment was kinda flippant -- I do mean that I want them to be afraid legitimately; I just think "terrorism" is funny only because of the specific baggage the term has collected over the past 18-ish years. I think stuff like #MakeRapistsAfraidAgain, etc. are good hashtags.

Think more like the fucked ways people try to stretch the Niemoller poem. "First they came for the people who creeped on teenage girls in public..."

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify -- since admittedly my comment was kinda flippant -- I do mean that I want them to be afraid legitimately; I just think "terrorism" is funny only because of the specific baggage the term has collected over the past 18-ish years. I think stuff like #MakeRapistsAfraidAgain, etc. are good hashtags.

Think more like the fucked ways people try to stretch the Niemoller poem. "First they came for the people who creeped on teenage girls in public..."

No need to clarify. I was attempting a joke, I think.

But holy fuck at these people. And hail the raid tanking twitter abilities of Sir Greg.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
No need to clarify. I was attempting a joke, I think.

But holy fuck at these people. And hail the raid tanking twitter abilities of Sir Greg.

S'cool, I just think when we've got like 4-5 different sex pest threads going on in one day (ProJared, this, Alec Holowka, Chapelle's comments on MJ, Jeremy Soule) it's good to establish some level of baseline because it's potentially an all you can eat buffet for the goading sockpuppet-y misogynists.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean if Sabat did use autistic as an insult, that's absolutely something that should be called out as wrong. It's patently unacceptable.

However. We should be careful to not hammer on it too hard in this specific situation. We have seen time and time again those on the right weaponize political correctness to silence marginalized people and their allies. See: "fake news", "alt-left", and the whole debacle with Ilhan Omar. By the same coin, we should be careful to not allow those on the right to use "but your guy called people autistic as an insult!" as a bludgeon. It's a tricky balancing act. But no one said trying to make society or even just the anime enthusiast community itself a better, safer place would be easy.

However, fact of the matter is I've only seen an (oddly blurry) screenshot with a lowercase s in Sabat. And people ISWV champions as "good people" themselves publicly and frequently use such terms derisively. So it's... weird. Even if it is real, it's still fairly clearly a bad faith attack for those who like Rekieta to also call out Sabat.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Agreed. Basically they are trying to deflect and if he did use autistic as insult it's definitely bad.

BUT it has nothing to do with Vic's lolsuit so to me it's a situation of "Don't worry we'll get to him, right now we're talking about something else.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's a variety of disingenuous tactics where ethics are viewed as system you can game. One of the ones from the Gamergate days that always used to bug me was "what if you associated every bad thing that Muslims did with all Muslims". And it was always, always, always Muslims. It was pretty clear what they were doing; they're trying to associate themselves with a vulnerable group. If the SJWs are always defending Muslims, if I can look like a Muslim, they'll have to defend me.

It also shows how their mind works. One part of is that level of solipsism where they just assume no one else is capable of thought. The idea demands that the opponent be an automaton that is destroyed or forced to act a certain way when they can be out-logiced like on the original Star Trek. It also basically confesses that they equate Muslims and terrorists in their head, and had no idea of how many Muslims actively condemn terrorism or how Islam, like any other religion, is divided into various denominations with different traits and histories and such. The idea of a monolithic Islam that all Muslims are responsible to becomes laughable when you notice that major terrorist sects are associated with denomination that viewed practicing numerous mainstream Islamic practices as the mark of an infidel. Gamergate was never so divided against itself.

Now if Chris Sabat used ablist language then it would be good for him to apologize. But ultimately, being at this point and as radicalized as they are, Vic stans probably aren't approaching this topic with morality guiding their decisions. Rather, they're attempting to use morality as just another tool to gain leverage. Vic, Screech, and Percy were probably doing that kind of thing long before this thread was posted.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I mean if Sabat did use autistic as an insult, that's absolutely something that should be called out as wrong. It's patently unacceptable.

However. We should be careful to not hammer on it too hard in this specific situation. We have seen time and time again those on the right weaponize political correctness to silence marginalized people and their allies. See: "fake news", "alt-left", and the whole debacle with Ilhan Omar. By the same coin, we should be careful to not allow those on the right to use "but your guy called people autistic as an insult!" as a bludgeon. It's a tricky balancing act. But no one said trying to make society or even just the anime enthusiast community itself a better, safer place would be easy.

However, fact of the matter is I've only seen an (oddly blurry) screenshot with a lowercase s in Sabat. And people ISWV champions as "good people" themselves publicly and frequently use such terms derisively. So it's... weird. Even if it is real, it's still fairly clearly a bad faith attack for those who like Rekieta to also call out Sabat.

For the record, as an autistic individual myself, I'd normally be peeved, but that bizarre disconnect you mentioned in the bad-faith accusations/Sabat's alleged ill-thought word choice smothered any potential discontent there. (I'm reading it was apparently a reference to Kiwifarms' frequent references/self-descriptions of "weaponized autism," but obviously the average person won't know that.)

Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true given he used a *certain homosexual slur a few years back, but as someone else mentioned, Vic Stans will take whatever victory they can get at this point even if it has fuck-all with the actual case. Regardless, I know Sabat's level-headed to recognize his mistakes, so I'm in no rush to call for his head.

(*Actually, I only learned of that specific example from ISWV, go figure.)
Vic, Screech, and Percy were probably doing that kind of thing long before this thread was posted.

As pointed out in the tweets I shared, Screech and his posse already were.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I want to read this thread but at this point I'm scared. 160 pages is a little daunting
Depends on what you're looking to get out of the thread mainly.

If you're more concerned about the base discussion of Vic, and everyone who calls him an ally being terrible and disgusting people, then the first 50 to 100 or so pages.

If you're more interested in his "supporters", his "lawyers", and the man himself getting dunked on both from a social media standpoint, and from a legal perspective, then the last 60-65 pages will do just fine.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Greg's back this morning with a big-ass (40+ post) set of tweets on how the Vicstans have dug up Ron Toye's divorce proceedings from 7 years ago, and how it means nothing to the Vic case.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I read Monica's twitter on that.

Ron went to counseling/therapy and is a better person from it.

Vic has never tried to better himself.

Yet Vicstans are trying to weaponize this stuff with Ron now

it's sad x.x

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Greg's back this morning with a big-ass (40+ post) set of tweets on how the Vicstans have dug up Ron Toye's divorce proceedings from 7 years ago, and how it means nothing to the Vic case.

Just going through this and it feels a little too legal-y for me to care about details, but these side topics are jumping out at me:

The last one is just the tweet that led me to this chain. I don't think it's evidence and I don't really care about the fact itself, but it does seem like something that would have relevance to motivations and potential range of victims for serial sex assault. I'm actually not sure if I should post it but that if I ask in the thread I'm essentially posting the claim anyway.

It's written like he has more anecdotes about him and this is just the funny way they met, but I don't see anything more that follows this.

EDIT: I just realized that since I had read these out of order, it probably made the last tweet seem more important to the conversation.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I read Monica's twitter on that.

Ron went to counseling/therapy and is a better person from it.

Vic has never tried to better himself.

Yet Vicstans are trying to weaponize this stuff with Ron now

it's sad x.x

Yeah the same people who looked for anything and everything to discredit Monica is doing this concerned "Won't somebody think of Monica" act. It's SO transparent and obnoxious.
Just going through this and it feels a little too legal-y for me to care about details, but these side topics are jumping out at me:

The last one is just the tweet that led me to this chain. I don't think it's evidence and I don't really care about the fact itself, but it does seem like something that would have relevance to motivations and potential range of victims for serial sex assault. I'm actually not sure if I should post it but that if I ask in the thread I'm essentially posting the claim anyway.

It's written like he has more anecdotes about him and this is just the funny way they met, but I don't see anything more that follows this.

Maybe I'm getting senile and reading it wrong, but I swear one of the commenters keeps saying "Yeah, so Vic is touchy and a borderline sex pest, but that doesn't give people the right to make up accusations of him being a sex pest!"

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Could someone do a quick summary of what happened since the lawsuit was filed? I don't keep up with this thread but I see that it gets bumped every now and then.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone do a quick summary of what happened since the lawsuit was filed? I don't keep up with this thread but I see that it gets bumped every now and then.

All right, the TL;DR version w/o links 'cause I'm at work and can't link everything right now.

1) Vic files his lawsuit against Funimation, Monica Rial, Ron Toye, and Jamie Marchi, with the help of a D-class Youtuber (Nick Rekieta) and an estate lawyer (Percy "Ty" Beard) who's never seen the inside of a courtroom.
2) Over the course of several weeks, depositions happen. They are terribly damaging to Vic's case from top to bottom, including a disastrous performance by Vic himself, as well as his lawyer displaying his lack of courtroom competence.
3) Funimation, Monica, Ron and Jamie file suit against Vic and his suit under the auspices of the Texas Citizen's Participation Act, a very powerful anti-SLAPP statute in Texas. Actual lawyers look at the TCPA suits and conclude that they're almost total slam-dunks. Vic's supporters believe otherwise, without actual evidence.
4) Procedural delays brought by Vic's side (nothing really out of the ordinary here) push the TCPA hearing date into early September. This Friday (8/30) is the deadline for Vic's lawyer to file his final responses to the TCPA suits. It's widely expected (due to earlier statements) that the constitutionality of the TCPA will be brought up, however that turns out to be previously-settled case law.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I get the point in trying to bring up Ron's past. It's got nothing to do with the case. It's an attempt to discredit him and possibly Monica in the public eye.

With regards to Ron I have always and will always support rehabilitation over permanent punishment and ostracization, which I know is a mindset that won't win me many admirers. As, yes, that means if Vic actually does get the help he clearly needs and changes as a person and displays this through his actions, I will hold no ill will towards him any longer. Just like Ron has admitted he's done wrong and has gone through counseling and therapy and, according to people I have reason to trust far more than Vic, Nick, Beard, or any CGer, he is a good man now.

But it seems Vic hasn't chosen that path. He's chosen to deny he's done anything wrong (outside of cheating, which he admits to) and is clearly altering how he carries himself not because he has changed his morality, but because he doesn't want to get in trouble or lose more face. Not being a creep so as to not be in trouble is a lot different from not being a creep because you know it hurts other people. In one case, the mask will always, inevitably, slip. In the other, there's no mask to slip.

And even if Ron was the same man he used to be... yes, I would condemn him. But, what do you know? It doesn't change anything about how I feel about Vic. He has had rumors swirling about him for years and years before a single VA involved in the lawsuit spoke up (several others had at VAAD panels before, of course, which are nigh impossible to confirm given the "no recording" rule common at them, but still). Rumors that have not cropped up about other similarly (imo, moreso) handsome, charismatic, friendly and famous male VAs. I've been saying this for months. Where are the Matt Mercer accusations? Travis Willingham accusations? JYB accusations? Oh, yes, that's right. They don't exist. Because they're actual decent human beings unlike Victor Joseph Mignogna. So what the fuck are people talking about when they say this is about "jealousy" or whatever? So it's safe to assume, Vic's just not a good guy.

Look, the fact of the matter is, this is once again bad faith posturing. And it sucks because I have seen a lot of people who are against Vic being a creep also being suckered into it and in turn labeled as a concern troll by KickVic individuals. When they need to hear this: Ron was, and has been, made to be held accountable for his actions, as he should have been. He needs to stay the fuck away from whoever he has hurt in the past, which he clearly is doing, and just the same has gotten the help he needed to be a better person. His victims have no reason to forgive him in spite of that, and by the same coin, you don't have to either. But those who did not know him when he was a bad person only know him as the good man he is now, and I don't think one can condemn them for that, especially given what little we do know. And he's clearly put in the work to better himself.

Vic? He hasn't. And due to his ego, he clearly won't. Ever. At best he'll continue wearing the mask of a God-fearing Christian Man, while the true Vic is a man who feels he should be allowed to be near whoever he wants and do whatever to whoever he pleases because he's just that special. He confirmed that the MOMENT he tried this lawsuit bullshit. He doesn't want to actually change, he wants to weasel out of taking responsibility for his actions.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
All right, the TL;DR version w/o links 'cause I'm at work and can't link everything right now.

1) Vic files his lawsuit against Funimation, Monica Rial, Ron Toye, and Jamie Marchi, with the help of a D-class Youtuber (Nick Rekieta) and an estate lawyer (Percy "Ty" Beard) who's never seen the inside of a courtroom.
2) Over the course of several weeks, depositions happen. They are terribly damaging to Vic's case from top to bottom, including a disastrous performance by Vic himself, as well as his lawyer displaying his lack of courtroom competence.
3) Funimation, Monica, Ron and Jamie file suit against Vic and his suit under the auspices of the Texas Citizen's Participation Act, a very powerful anti-SLAPP statute in Texas. Actual lawyers look at the TCPA suits and conclude that they're almost total slam-dunks. Vic's supporters believe otherwise, without actual evidence.
4) Procedural delays brought by Vic's side (nothing really out of the ordinary here) push the TCPA hearing date into early September. This Friday (8/30) is the deadline for Vic's lawyer to file his final responses to the TCPA suits. It's widely expected (due to earlier statements) that the constitutionality of the TCPA will be brought up, however that turns out to be previously-settled case law.

There's also the gag reel, which includes stuff like:

- Beard asserting that calling Vic a "piece of shit" is defamation because he is not literally feces (complete with a definition of the word "shit")
- Beard actually claiming blasphemy
- The judge possibly not realizing that Beard was Vic's lawyer
- Beard repeatedly being told by Casey Erick why his threatened filings don't make any sense, throwing a temper tantrum while Erick is totally unfazed, then attaching those same conversations to said filing
- Vic misunderstanding a question and admitting that he hired prostitutes behind his fiance's back
- Nick's show and Vic's fanbase repeatedly damaging Vic's case

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in Illinois for work so I haven't been to the thread in a bit (just a bit), so thank you to everyone for getting me up to speed. Shit continues to be wild, and of course very embarrassing for Beard and co.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
What I cannot wrap my head around is that this is a case that ambulance chasers would not even touch. I wonder if Vic will turn and sue Beard for bad representation after everything is said and done.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
What I cannot wrap my head around is that this is a case that ambulance chasers would not even touch. I wonder if Vic will turn and sue Beard for bad representation after everything is said and done.

From what I'm understanding ,according to Greg(this was back when this whole twitter thread started), Vic put himself in a situation where he can't win in both the defamation case and the possible bad representation case(if he filed for one). I'll try to find the tweet.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
From what I'm understanding ,according to Greg(this was back when this whole twitter thread started), Vic put himself in a situation where he can't win in both the defamation case and the possible bad representation case(if he filed for one). I'll try to find the tweet.

I mean, Vic and all associated parties clearly have no idea how law works nor any care in learning it. Last thing any of them are gonna do is start taking legit legal advice now.

Any chance we can get that lawsuit on like Judge Judy or something? That's about the level of stupid bullshit we're at.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This is the part that makes things so absurd to me. Even with only the very basics of legal education, it was clear from the start that this wasn't a great idea. Like, here were my thoughts on the subject from February:

With Vic's behaviour supposedly being an open secret, I'd say he had enough fame - or at least connections - to wield earlier, and now we're seeing that they're no longer sufficient for him.

As for how a case would go... well, I'm not a lawyer either, but trying to reason it out, it doesn't seem like he's in a good position to me. His behaviour's pretty obvious at this point, the facts of the case clearly aren't in his favour, so it seems like he'd have to rely on technicalities like the burden of proof and admissible evidence and the like. Which are probably only in his favour if someone goes after him, not if he tries to sue someone, since in the latter case he's the one who has to deal with the burden of proof as the claimant.

As far as I know, if he goes for defamation, it then falls on him to prove that the statement isn't true. It looks like criminal defamation is a state-by-state thing, but I don't think he's going to risk the higher burden of proof in a criminal case, so he'd probably go for damages if he did that.

Also, I believe class action lawsuits only go one way - a group of people can sue an individual but an individual can't sue a group of people - so his accusers would have an easier time pooling their resources and suing Vic than Vic would have going after them.

It could be that I'm being overly optimistic, but it looks to me like he's in the position where he's better off trying not to lose rather than trying to win.
i like to imagine that the lawyer he went to in order to salvage his career just helped him fill out a job application at burger king

Jun 22, 2019
I've been sorta stunned at the lack of articles in popular (or at least semi-popular) online outlets about how much of a shitshow this court case is.

In fact, when my phone has thrown "news" advertisements at me when I open a new tab in Chrome (I need to get a work-around for this because it's only ever been annoying), on a few occasions I've seen some small-scale blog-esque articles that were in defense of Vic, and absolutely no articles exposing the absurdity of his creepy behavior or Beard's idiocy in the filings.

I'm legitimately wondering if people who don't keep up with these developments are even aware that Vic has only been digging a deeper hole for himself.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I've been sorta stunned at the lack of articles in popular (or at least semi-popular) online outlets about how much of a shitshow this court case is.

In fact, when my phone has thrown "news" advertisements at me when I open a new tab in Chrome (I need to get a work-around for this because it's only ever been annoying), on a few occasions I've seen some small-scale blog-esque articles that were in defense of Vic, and absolutely no articles exposing the absurdity of his creepy behavior or Beard's idiocy in the filings.

I'm legitimately wondering if people who don't keep up with these developments are even aware that Vic has only been digging a deeper hole for himself.
as hilariously inept as the case is, this frankly isn't all that big outside of anime circles and, uh, Dallas circles

ANN is a pretty notable outlet has been keeping up with the coverage, fwiw too