• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Oh totally! He thought since Funimation was a big company they'd settle for millions to make them go away.

Probably because it seems everything he knows about actual civil lawsuits he got from movies and TV shows.

In reality, corporations pretty much fight every lawsuit they are given unless they absolutely know they're in the wrong and it would be bad publicity to continue.

And even then sometimes they fight you till you're out of money.
Not that this is directly analogous but my earliest memory of being aware of a legal fight in nerd circles was when Sony sued the developers of Bleem, a PlayStation emulator on the Dreamcast that was sold at EB Games and other retailers (it was literally just a boot disc that was tied to a specific game - there was one each for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3 if I remember correctly).

Bleem actually won the lawsuit, but Sony was able to laugh off the legal costs while the trial left Bleem penniless and they shut down anyway. So even though the big guy "lost" they still got what they wanted.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly it's a pretty common story. Things were the corporations when don't get a lot of News-Press because that's the narrative that we all already know.

So all we ever hear about is how the little guy beat the corporation or the corporation settle the lawsuit because that's an interesting story for the common person.

That results however is not very common

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Funimation is part of Sony, I'm certain the funding from Sony will keep Funimation afloat during this lawsuit battle with Vic.

My source that Funimation is part of Sony:

About Funimation

Funimation, a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Television, is the go-to destination for extraordinary anime. By combining its integrated in-house studios along with its technology and distribution partnerships, Funimation leads the industry with its omnichannel approach to offering anime to fans – from streaming and home entertainment, to theatrical distribution and broadcast television. The company's next generation streaming service, FunimationNow, provides subscribers with instant access to their favorite sub and dub shows in ad-free HD on the widest array of devices and platforms—from smartphones and tablets to TVs and gaming consoles. For more information about Funimation, visit funimation.com.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
There won't be any counter suits so don't get your hopes up.

Mote than likely this suit will end in October with atleast one appeal.

So maybe January or February before it's truly over.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not that this is directly analogous but my earliest memory of being aware of a legal fight in nerd circles was when Sony (or Sega?) sued the developers of Bleem, a PlayStation emulator on the Dreamcast that was sold at EB Games and other retailers (it was literally just a boot disc that was tied to a specific game - there was one each for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3 if I remember correctly).

Bleem actually won the lawsuit, but Sony (or again, Sega) was able to laugh off the legal costs while the trial left Bleem penniless and they shut down anyway. So even though the big guy "lost" they still got what they wanted.
Sony dude.

How do you even come up with Sega? It was a Playstation emulator.

Google would have answered that in 5 seconds

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sega gave no fucks in that era. They had absolutely no problem with multiple companies selling boot discs that removed region locks at retail.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not that this is directly analogous but my earliest memory of being aware of a legal fight in nerd circles was when Sony (or Sega?) sued the developers of Bleem, a PlayStation emulator on the Dreamcast that was sold at EB Games and other retailers (it was literally just a boot disc that was tied to a specific game - there was one each for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3 if I remember correctly).

Bleem actually won the lawsuit, but Sony (or again, Sega) was able to laugh off the legal costs while the trial left Bleem penniless and they shut down anyway. So even though the big guy "lost" they still got what they wanted.

Bit offtopic to the thread, but there was a nice video from Gaming Historian about that subject:
www.youtube.com

From Shady to Legal: How Bleem & VGS Battled Sony

Back in 1999, two emulators were released commercially that let gamers play Playstation games on their computer: The Connectix Virtual Game Station and Bleem...

Last edited:

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Hello I'd just like to inform everyone that this thread is on the Threadnought now
vIf0lAD.gif

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"If I call someone a pedophile, even if it's true, that statement is defamatory"

As an aside, Sega did have a lawsuit RE: unauthorized publishing on their platforms but it was with Accolade back in the Genesis era.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

alright let me google some definitions.

Defamation: "the action of damaging the good reputation of someone; slander or libel. "

Ok ok I don't see truth or lie or anything like that in that definition... but it seems to also mean slander or libel I should check those.

Slander:
NOUN
law
  1. the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.Compare with libel.
    "he is suing the TV network for slander"
VERB

1. make false and damaging statements about (someone).

1. Libel :
    NOUN
    1. law
      a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.Compare with slander.
      synonyms:
      defamation · defamation of character · character assassination · calumny ·
      [more]
    2. (in admiralty and ecclesiastical law) a plaintiff's written declaration.
    VERB
    1. law
      defame (someone) by publishing a libel.
      "she alleged the magazine had libeled her"
      synonyms:
      defame · malign · slander · give someone a bad name ·
      [more]
    2. (in admiralty and ecclesiastical law) bring a suit against.

So I have to come to the conclusion that he googled the definition of defamation but didn't actually check what all the words in the definition meant?
    And here I thought I couldn't think even lower of the guy #_#

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
alright let me google some definitions.

Defamation: "the action of damaging the good reputation of someone; slander or libel. "

Ok ok I don't see truth or lie or anything like that in that definition... but it seems to also mean slander or libel I should check those.

Slander:

1. Libel :

So I have to come to the conclusion that he googled the definition of defamation but didn't actually check what all the words in the definition meant?
    And here I thought I couldn't think even lower of the guy #_#

He could have just looked it up in a law dictionary or jury instructions. Or you know, just Google. Here's the first result:

To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things:

1) a false statement purporting to be fact;
2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person;
3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and
4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
He could have just looked it up in a law dictionary or jury instructions. Or you know, just Google. Here's the first result:

To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things:

1) a false statement purporting to be fact;
2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person;
3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and
4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.
oh I knew a law dictionary would get me there faster. I was just trying to show how easy it was to find even without law stuff and just searching a normal dictionary.

This isn't even a malice vs actual malice issue that some people seem to have issues grasping. This is very cut and dry that for defamation even in a non legal use, it has to be false.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this Beard dude just skipped every single class while in law school.
Honestly, a question that's been on my mind for quite a while now is "how easy is it to cheat at law school?"

Turns out that I accidentally posted the wrong tweet a while ago, so I'll paraphrase something I saw earlier. Vic stans were trying a while ago to prove that #KickVic is wrong by digging up one statement against Vic which may have been false. The thing is, that actually hurts Vic's case, because he's accusing Monica, Ron, and Jamie of defaming him, meaning he needs to prove that it's them specifically who are responsible for his lost reputation.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Percy digging the hole another 6 foot deeper? Must be another day on the Threadnought.

Seriously, though, I just bruised myself with the facepalm.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Completely off-topic, but seeing the video just reminded me of menu song from International Superstar Soccer 64, goddamn I played a lot of that game.

Like I played a bunch of Deluxe on the SNES too, but that really doesn't compare to how much I played 64. That freaking menu song is forever stuck in my head.

Also, ''A true statement can be defamatory'' is truly a galaxy brain defense.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
oh I knew a law dictionary would get me there faster. I was just trying to show how easy it was to find even without law stuff and just searching a normal dictionary.

This isn't even a malice vs actual malice issue that some people seem to have issues grasping. This is very cut and dry that for defamation even in a non legal use, it has to be false.
Yeah I got you. I'm just saying it's crazy that Percy, as an attorney, didn't even just spend 10 seconds to look up the actual legal definition and elements.

Or... he did read it, but doesn't understand what "elements" are?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and a brief reminder that that Ty Beard is a MENSA member, a military history buff and a strategic master.

Which I still think is code for him being a NAMBLA member, a Neo-Confederate, and a guy who owns a fedora.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated but this is real and in Dallas this week. CACC was scheduled for 8/12-15 and Animefest is for 8/16-19 so not technically overlapping but still.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and a brief reminder that that Ty Beard is a MENSA member, a military history buff and a strategic master.

Which I still think is code or him being a NAMBLA member, a Neo-Confederate, and a guy who owns a fedora.
Excuse me, I'll have you know that he is incredibly brilliant tactician AND has eidetic memory. Clearly this is a amazingly complex strategy that he is pulling with the intent to confuse the opposition into think they are winning.

And then when the time is right he pulls his OBJECTION to turn this case around!

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Gonna be honest, I keep worrying that maybe vengeful, sympathetic sentiment for Vic is growing but then I remember when it came up in a line at the last con I went to, everyone pretty much agreed he fucked up. It's anecdotal, but I think the general perception is definitely not "Vic was wronged and these people need to pay". And the con before that, there were people literally in pro-KickVic cosplay lmao.

Ideally this should be a stepping stone to holding other people in the industry and in the con circuit accountable. So it's good to see that it's probably just a bunch of loud conservative trolls or incredibly naive people making noise at this point. They're going to crop up anyway and should frankly be ignored. Unless they start active harassment themselves, in which case, they should be reported.

Last edited: