• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
you might all laugh at ty "fear the" beard now but are you being mocked worldwide at this very moment? no? i didn't think so

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like Ty got the delay in the TCPA hearing, but whether filing deadlines have been set is yet to be seen.

Edit: nevermind it's been set

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
And of course, all the Vicstans are running around screaming VINDICATION this morning over a bog standard continuance. Shocking.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so that's just more money Vic has to pay

38a.jpg

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
For the record. Greg and some other lawyers already commented on the possibility this would happen, so this isn't left-field.

Regardless, I'm reading this just amounts to a schedule change? Also something about this preventing a "trial by ambush," although I don't know what that is.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the bit that annoys me. I know this is standard but it just re-energized Vic's base

Eh, I was concerned for a fleeting moment, but it seems to basically just be a step to shut them up definitively.

Let them get their hopes up for half a second if it'll get swatted back down hard.

For the record. Greg and some other lawyers already commented on the possibility this would happen, so this isn't left-field.

Regardless, I'm reading this just amounts to a schedule change? Also something about this preventing a "trial by ambush," although I don't know what that is.

Purely going by context, it sounds like it would be Beard claiming that he wasn't given an appropriate amount of time to form a proper argument (hence giving him extra time even when he's demonstrated that he's wasting it). So all of this revolves around time.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This case has done more damage to Vic's reputation than the people he's against literally ever could have.

The only reason anybody would want him to win this case anymore would be to punish his victims for speaking out. It can't salvage his reputation, it's just about hurting people now.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I was concerned for a fleeting moment, but it seems to basically just be a step to shut them up definitively.

Let them get their hopes up for half a second if it'll get swatted back down hard.

Purely going by context, it sounds like it would be Beard claiming that he wasn't given an appropriate amount of time to form a proper argument (hence giving him extra time even when he's demonstrated that he's wasting it). So all of this revolves around time.

I mean sure. I just rather see the harassment of people on Twitter die down a bit more and I'm sure this has only served to re-energize it

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure. I just rather see the harassment of people on Twitter die down a bit more and I'm sure this has only served to re-energize it
That's fair.

Is there actually a huge feeling of vindication from Vic stans on Twitter? There's something fundamentally absurd about that if so. This delay is still just a delay of the inevitable at this point. Vic's side hasn't demonstrated a single thing that they were supposed to, has inadvertently made their client and themselves look worse, and has actually faced a defense who has taken this seriously and been thorough.

It's a little like bragging because you didn't get double perfected, you managed to get a hit in when the other player put down the controller for a second so they could scratch their nose. It's such an insubstantial victory that it just highlights what a loser you are if you consider it to be your great comeuppance.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This case has done more damage to Vic's reputation than the people he's against literally ever could have.

The only reason anybody would want him to win this case anymore would be to punish his victims for speaking out. It can't salvage his reputation, it's just about hurting people now.
Tbf, he can't do anything except try to win now. The TCPA filings mean that even if Vic was the drop his case the Judge would still rule on whether this is a SLAPP case, in which case Vic would still need to pay the defendants legal fees and whatever sanctions are added on top. It doesn't really matter whether he wants to win or not now.

But yes, filing this case at all was a massive mistake. One which multiple lawyers warned Vic about before he gave in and hired the grifters that BFL recommended.

Last edited:

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair.

Is there actually a huge feeling of vindication from Vic stans on Twitter? There's something fundamentally absurd about that if so. This delay is still just a delay of the inevitable at this point. Vic's side hasn't demonstrated a single thing that they were supposed to, has inadvertently made their client and themselves look worse, and has actually faced a defense who has taken this seriously and been thorough.

It's a little like bragging because you didn't get double perfected, you managed to get a hit in when the other player put down the controller for a second so they could scratch their nose. It's such an insubstantial victory that it just highlights what a loser you are if you consider it to be your great comeuppance.

They take whatever win they can get sadly 🙄🙄🙄 but yeah it's been a lot of people forgetting all of law twitter basically said this would happen and rubbing it in their faces lmao

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
If there is one thing Judges hate, it's being roped into discovery disputes.

People (especially on Vic's side) shouldn't be reading into the continuance; unless the Judge is an asshole/bad mood or the attorney did something very egregious (Ty's arguments were dumb, but it still boils down to "but I'm actually not ready yet please give extension"), the Judge is likely going to grant it so that's less work and the record is more appeal-proof in terms of procedural posture.

With all that said, I definitely can't see the Judge granting a second continuance unless legit extenuating circumstances occurred (and usually the defense would show professional curtesy to not object)

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the bit that annoys me. I know this is standard but it just re-energized Vic's base
I'll liken this to the current Republican base in politics.

When you don't live in a fact-based reality, you can just lie to yourself and re-energize yourself over anything, even when it's imaginary. Don't worry so much about what they feel because even when this case is dismissed, those same Vic supporters will just find some other thing to energize themselves and it's not something you or any of us can control.

The only thing that will matter is that the people being sued will be satisfied when the case is dismissed and we'll all be satisfied when Vic gets nothing from this case except to have his reputation destroyed even further, with no future career prospects, and that he'll just fade away into obscurity eventually. With no more opportunities for voice acting roles and no fandom that comes with it and no invites to conventions, he'll have far fewer opportunities to prey on young girls and women.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I was reading through the threadnaught and it seemed that one Vic Idiot yelled at Greg claiming he was "Deadnaming" Percy (he wasn't) and that he was being homophobic for it. Not only that but this Vic Idiot claimed to be gay (he wasn't). Of course when people started calling him out he suddenly vanished without a trace.

...What drives these people to do these things?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
So I was reading through the threadnaught and it seemed that one Vic Idiot yelled at Greg claiming he was "Deadnaming" Percy (he wasn't) and that he was being homophobic for it. Not only that but this Vic Idiot claimed to be gay (he wasn't). Of course when people started calling him out he suddenly vanished without a trace.

...What drives these people to do these things?

Out of all the attempted gotchas at Greg, it goes without saying that was the most bizarre.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Things I remember Vic saying about this movie from when he was showing it around at conventions:

He lied to the post office about his filming intentions in order to get permission to film there. He told the guy at the post office that he was a college student working on some piece about the US mail system, and he brought his own box for the sake of continuity, and said he wanted to film this box and basically tell the story of the box going all the way through the mailing process from one person to another. The guy at the post office lit up with delight and started rambling on about the inner workings of their processing procedures, all while Vic is just trying to get these cinematic shots of his box and smiling and nodding along.

That was really his house, really his car, really his license plate, so he had leaned all the way into FMA in his real life.

I do not believe he had permission to use that Alphonse statue, and as I'd heard it told, he basically stole it from Funimation for something like a day to film that last scene.

Hired a guy with a rain machine to do that rain scene. Maybe that's obvious, 'cause otherwise of course how would he have done it.

One of those villains at the end is a composite shot. Envy, I think? It pans up one person's body, and then it's somebody else's face on their body.

The guy who shows up for three seconds as Armstrong is the con chair of San Japan, though San Japan wouldn't exist for another two years.

It's rumored that Aniplex wasn't thrilled that this movie existed. He possibly was trying to get it on the Funimation DVDs as an extra but obviously he didn't have the legal rights to use all those assets to make and distribute it. And yet, it's being sold on DVDs in his fan club shop.

Vic supposedly stole projectors from various other panel rooms that needed projectors in order to show this at some events.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Things I remember Vic saying about this movie from when he was showing it around at conventions:

He lied to the post office about his filming intentions in order to get permission to film there. He told the guy at the post office that he was a college student working on some piece about the US mail system, and he brought his own box for the sake of continuity, and said he wanted to film this box and basically tell the story of the box going all the way through the mailing process from one person to another. The guy at the post office lit up with delight and started rambling on about the inner workings of their processing procedures, all while Vic is just trying to get these cinematic shots of his box and smiling and nodding along.

That was really his house, really his car, really his license plate, so he had leaned all the way into FMA in his real life.

I do not believe he had permission to use that Alphonse statue, and as I'd heard it told, he basically stole it from Funimation for something like a day to film that last scene.

Hired a guy with a rain machine to do that rain scene. Maybe that's obvious, 'cause otherwise of course how would he have done it.

One of those villains at the end is a composite shot. Envy, I think? It pans up one person's body, and then it's somebody else's face on their body.

The guy who shows up for three seconds as Armstrong is the con chair of San Japan, though San Japan wouldn't exist for another two years.

It's rumored that Aniplex wasn't thrilled that this movie existed. He possibly was trying to get it on the Funimation DVDs as an extra but obviously he didn't have the legal rights to use all those assets to make and distribute it. And yet, it's being sold on DVDs in his fan club shop.

Vic supposedly stole projectors from various other panel rooms that needed projectors in order to show this at some events.

He sells this ?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I don't see it on the store after all. I do see these things though:
Advanced Alchemy- A Risembool Ranger Cookbook and Scrapbook:
A culinary collection by the Risembool Rangers Fan Club

Are you looking for the Best way to transmute the right ingredients into Apple Pie? Or how about the secrets of Flaming Alchemy vs Grilling Alchemy for om nomming yummy salmon?!

Well you're in luck... The Risembool Rangers are proud to Present the First EVER Advanced Alchemy Cookbook & Scrapbook. This book features several recipes, stories, pictures, and important cooking tips... relating to some of your favorite Vic Mignogna themed animes. Don't worry, we took care to code our information like the very BEST alchemist should!
Vic Mignogna's Sheet Music

Sheet music written especially for you to play on your piano.

$5.00 per song or order the entire set for $20.00 and save $5!

* PDF format will be emailed to you after payment. Thank you!
SELAH I

A beautiful collection of piano tracks composed, produced, and performed by Vic. This music truly displays Vic's deep love for God and the desire to thank Him for all that He does. This CD reminds you why God created music.

$16.00 each CD.
Picture
IF THESE WALKS COULD TALK

A collection of songs written, arranged, and produced by Vic back in 1992. An oldie but a goodie...especially for those of you who enjoy hearing Vic sing.

Includes songs like "Worth Waiting For" which he performed on Star Search in 1993, and "Italian Boys" featuring his very dear Grandma Mignogna.

Recently redesigned!! Plus two NEW bonus tracks!
~"Nothing I Won't Give Remix"
~"Je Nai Pas De Mots"

$16.00 each CD.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"If these walks could talk" sounds like a parody album name in a sitcom ep

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"If these walks could talk" sounds like a parody album name in a sitcom ep
That and his song "Guilty Beauty Love" from another CD just feel like they're really appropriate names for all the wrong reasons. Actually, the one that's titled "I Have No Words" in French is pretty good too.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
So, uh... it was brought to my attention that the person playing Scar... is very likely somebody in blackface...?

We do consider Scar to be black, right?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh... it was brought to my attention that the person playing Scar... is very likely somebody in blackface...?

Scar isn't black, they have "brown" skin and clear straight hair, which means he can be asian, arab, hispanic etc...

But to answer your question, that's the inner side of his ear... It doesn't quite match, can you spot it :p ?

ccdf981e23bba767ed83da7484e16bfa.png

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No, he's a made up ethnicity. Brown skinned yes, but they have red eyes and white, straight hair. Fairly sure the Ishvalan are meant to be closer to middle eastern ethnicities than sub-Saharan African.

Still, darkening skin on a white actor for it is pretty bad.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Scar isn't black, they have "brown" skin and clear straight hair, which means he can be asian, arab, hispanic etc...

But to answer your question, that's the inner side of his ear... It doesn't quite match, can you spot it :p ?

ccdf981e23bba767ed83da7484e16bfa.png
No, he's a made up ethnicity. Brown skinned yes, but they have red eyes and white, straight hair. Fairly sure the Ishvalan are meant to be closer to middle eastern ethnicities than sub-Saharan African.

Still, darkening skin on a white actor for it is pretty bad.

Fair enough, I never finished watching the series to myself, nor had I read up on the manga author's intention for the character.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
People (especially on Vic's side) shouldn't be reading into the continuance; unless the Judge is an asshole/bad mood or the attorney did something very egregious (Ty's arguments were dumb, but it still boils down to "but I'm actually not ready yet please give extension"), the Judge is likely going to grant it so that's less work and the record is more appeal-proof in terms of procedural posture.

Also, the judge did it in a way that kind of fucks Ty's strategy. His strategy was to get an evidentiary hearing right before the TCPA hearing, get all the evidence blown away by, well, I don't fucking know, standing up in court and waving a magic wand for all I can see, then defeat the TCPA because the defendants have no evidence that Vic is a creepy fuck. There's a million things wrong with that strategy but now the evidentiary motions are due, in writing, a week before the TCPA hearings so that strategy's fucked. You can't blindside someone if they're not going in blind even if you were going to blindside them with bad law.

Judge basically gave Ty a get out of jail free card that was a poison pill. "OK, you want three weeks to read all the stuff you already read? Fine. But you're not going to use your bullshit to make the court complicit in your planned stunt." It's kind of funny to watch a Judge so deftly defuse a lawyer's planned bullshit. What's Ty going to say? "The mean judge wouldn't let us ambush the defense with a legal gish gallop the day of!"

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not only that but I've read that the way the judge arranged it all was basically the judge Crossing all the t's and dotting all the I's in order to make sure that Ty asking for this continuance and his motions couldn't be used for an appeal later