• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LJMontello

Jul 12, 2019
Hey guys, just hopping in to thank you guys for the heads up on the stealth invite of Vic and found out from another guest of said con that Vic has indeed been. If you guys catch other pieces like this, feel free to reach out.

And indeed, this is a Kopf event. He has a few cons where he is a shadow president pulling the strings while letting others be the face. Someone pulled the tax form listing him as president.

As you guys are noticing, this stuff is much bigger and systemic than Vic, and I'm aiming to force conventions to reform, so please don't hesitate to get it on my radar. 10 years retired from con work and we shouldn't not only have the same problems but the same names. The more we can signal boost and organize this stuff the better.

BTW, more is still coming.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Doucette's take on it

They've tried to take out the bits where they explicitly called Vic a public figure and in the process made the whole thing way dumber.

They included the TDMA letters as exhibits this time. Meaning we may actually get to read transcripts of a judge reacting to their "It's defamatory to call him a piece of shit because he isn't literally made of poop" comment.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This avid English-dub defender I used to follow must hate dub actors by this point with how much sleep he's lost over defending Vic

Not to mention all this ad-homineming he's doing to fellow peeps who've found the legit reasons to be against Vic

Killer Tofu

Feb 18, 2019
Hey guys, just hopping in to thank you guys for the heads up on the stealth invite of Vic and found out from another guest of said con that Vic has indeed been. If you guys catch other pieces like this, feel free to reach out.

And indeed, this is a Kopf event. He has a few cons where he is a shadow president pulling the strings while letting others be the face. Someone pulled the tax form listing him as president.

As you guys are noticing, this stuff is much bigger and systemic than Vic, and I'm aiming to force conventions to reform, so please don't hesitate to get it on my radar. 10 years retired from con work and we shouldn't not only have the same problems but the same names. The more we can signal boost and organize this stuff the better.

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of who Kopf even was until a friend who's in on the con industry told me about him.

I know this thread is about Vic but I'm interested in knowing more. Maybe you can make a thread about it here on the forum? I rarely attend conventions but when I do I rather support the right ones.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome, and thank you so much for what you've done so far. I look forward to the day when cosplayers and con attendees won't have to deal with this kind of shit ever again.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to ResetEra!

I've made a thread on here about Kopf in an attempt trying to warn folks on here to not attend any events he organizes:

I'm a longtime attendee of multiple conventions that has had Vic as a guest which I hope this time around, he is permanently banned from all conventions, both as an attendee and guest.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering how Beard became a lawyer... Are there actual lawyers who are as stupid as Beard or is Beard the only lawyer of his type working as a lawyer?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I am wondering how Beard became a lawyer... Are there actual lawyers who are as stupid as Beard or is Beard the only lawyer of his type working as a lawyer?

Saying you're a lawyer is like saying you're a doctor. Sure you know some basic general knowledge that goes along with the field but a GP can't do brain surgery. Same as a lawyer. He appears to be primarily a transactional lawyer/estate planner that appears to be inexperienced and hence terrible at litigation.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a tick. Look at this one.

The fact that he's focusing on the framing this as malice suggests that he's trying to frame this as actual malice, which is a necessity for this lawsuit.

Now, we probably know this already, but checking Wikipedia:

This term was adopted by the Supreme Court in its landmark 1964 ruling in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan,[2] in which the Court held that:

The constitutional guarantees require, we think, a Federal rule that prohibits a public official from recovering damages for a defamatory falsehood relating to his official conduct unless he proves that the statement was made with 'actual malice'—that is, with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not.

It's extremely obvious that this "malice in your heart" thing from the deposition doesn't really have anything to do with actual malice, which is an issue of intention than emotion. What "malice in your heart" does remarkably resemble, however, are bad Twitter arguments. Now, I'm not sure whose voices those are in the clip - if that's Ty Beard, it seems like he genuinely believes uneducated idiots on Twitter more than people with actual legal expertise.

Meanwhile, the other clip has Blackface screeching that Ron is a "pile of garbage", which would have been defamatory in a world where Ty Beard wasn't an idiot. So presumably he realizes that the things they're spouting are crap? Or maybe he just feels like it doesn't apply to him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Beard seems like a special case.

Okay, this part has to be a lie. I can accept that Beard cheated his way through law school and no idea of what he's actually talking about, but surely the man has at least been channel surfing at some point and bumped into a courtroom drama by accident.

EDIT: ?????

watczj6u.png

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, thank you so much for everything you have been doing in regards to talking about the situation behind the management of cons like Tekko and others.

This culture of enabling and protecting predators like Vic in conventions, especially coming from the con heads who should primarily have the public's safety in mind, has to stop.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this part has to be a lie. I can accept that Beard cheated his way through law school and no idea of what he's actually talking about, but surely the man has at least been channel surfing at some point and bumped into a courtroom drama by accident.

watczj6u.png

Almost 100% sure that's a Screech sock puppet account.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Observation: clicking on any of the tweets posted in this thread feels exactly like you're opening the door of a clown car.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Wow, anymore cons we should know about doing this stuff?
And yeah, this is just so hilariously bad. Karma

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Don't miss out on this bit:

even Beard doesn't understand that Ron's answers on the tweets were perfectly fine, and went to the judge over it

Beard seems like a special case.

Now, this is almost certainly a joke.

but it's only funny because I'd bet only the second sentence is actually false

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Wow, I feel like we need a glossary of names and bullet points of major events.

Missed a week of updates and I feel lost already

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

watczj6u.png

How do we get on racism? That is an old dog whistle. "Yeah I hate brown people, but I do it for the blacks". We know you hate us too

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
How do we get on racism? That is an old dog whistle. "Yeah I hate brown people, but I do it for the blacks". We know you hate us too
"I know what will throw 'em off, I'll throw a completely nonsensical gotcha question at 'em that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed!"

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for speaking up. I know you've caught a lot of shit for what you've said, but you're doing good work.

It seems like the Vic stans have finally gone full on incel, they've straight up started referring to Vic as an "Alpha Chad".

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for speaking up. I know you've caught a lot of shit for what you've said, but you're doing good work.

It seems like the Vic stans have finally gone full on incel, they've straight up started referring to Vic as an "Alpha Chad".
a nearly sixty year old alpha chad,

sheesh what is it with Incels playing up the virility of old shitty men as if they don't succumb to aging just like the rest of us

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I feel like we need a glossary of names and bullet points of major events.

Missed a week of updates and I feel lost already
As far as the Vic case itself, not a ton is really happening at this point; basically, the suit is more than likely going to thrown out when the deadline hits, and Ty Beard is fighting back with all of the grace and finesse of a Magikarp that's still below level 15.

As far as names go, the big ones (which you might know already if you've been keeping up) are probably:

Vic Mignogna: The pedophile who harasses women at cons​
Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi: The other Funimation VAs that Vic is suing, at least one of whom he's harassed multiple times before​
Ron Toye: Monica's husband (fiance?) who is alleged to be part of the conspiracy against Vic​
Funimation: The company that they all worked at sought their services as contractors, which Vic is suing because he really wants them to hire him again (more likely because he was five million bucks)​
Percy "Ty" Beard: The trained chimp that is serving as Vic's defense whoops, I should say attorney, as Vic isn't actually accused of anything from a legal standpoint​
Nick Rekieta: Some guy who Vic's defenders give money to, who leaks info related to the case and pretends to be a black person at parties​
Eric Casey: A lawyer on the Funimation side, seems to be the one most actively in contact with Beard. Seems distinctly unimpressed by Beard's antics​

I'm not too into this VA or con stuff so feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the Vic case itself, not a ton is really happening at this point; basically, the suit is more than likely going to thrown out when the deadline hits, and Ty Beard is fighting back with all of the grace and finesse of a Magikarp that's still below level 15.

As far as names go, the big ones (which you might know already if you've been keeping up) are probably:

Monica Rial and Ronald Toye: The other Funimation VAs that Vic is suing, one of whom he's harassed multiple times before​
Funimation: The company that they all worked at, which Vic is suing because he really wants them to hire him again (more likely because he was five million bucks)​
Percy "Ty" Beard: The trained chimp that is serving as Vic's defense whoops, I should say attorney, as Vic isn't actually accused of anything from a legal standpoint​
Nick Rekieta: Some guy who Vic's defenders give money to, who leaks info related to the case and pretends to be a black person at parties​
Eric Casey: A lawyer on the Funimation side, seems to be the one most actively in contact with Beard. Seems distinctly unimpressed by Beard's antics​

bit of a correction, but Ron Toye isn't a VA, Jamie Marchi is the other Funi regular that is involved in the suit

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I look in this thread, it continues to be hilariously stupid. I mean seriously.

Love thet Lawyer guy's twitter. It's fun to see what a competent lawyer thinks of all this.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's so scary. Real lawyers can't be bothered to learn law more than a incompetent developer.

Law is a lot like code. There are functions, rules, and results. Precision is important. A good lawyer and a good software engineer have a lot in common.

There are a lot of shitty lawyers out there. You can usually spot one by a focus on an attempt to intimidate.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Monica Rial and Ronald Toye: The other Funimation VAs that Vic is suing, one of whom he's harassed multiple times before​
Funimation: The company that they all worked at, which Vic is suing because he really wants them to hire him again (more likely because he was five million bucks)​

bit of a correction, but Ron Toye isn't a VA, Jamie Marchi is the other Funi regular that is involved in the suit
Second correction. saying they worked at Funimation makes them sound like employees of funimation. They are not. They are independent contractors that work with funimation which is a very distinct difference as far as the law is concerned for Funimation's liability (if this was a legit case)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Best part is they had to go nearly a year back in his timeline to find it.

And with as much as Mr Doucette posts... That probably took more than 5 minutes.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If we be generous and assume that a neuron had to fire in order to drag that photo out - and judging by the OK sign and clown emojis on their Twitter handle I think it's probably way too generous to assume that there was any subtext here - it could have been meant as a gotcha take on people making fun of Beard's office.

Except, you know, one is for living in and the other is for meeting clients and imposing the proper psychological effect. People can slap a big "Barba Crescit Caput Nescit " sign on their bedroom door and the worst it'll be is tacky.

EDIT: Found a better Latin phrase.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My house needs to have been repainted years ago. The law office I work in was completely repainted and renovated less than 2 years ago, and we're still doing ongoing furniture renovations.

The difference is we almost never have visitors at my house, and the office has clients daily.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
The Threadnought is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Ofc the person immediately moved the goalposts to a different country.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Was curious as I'm not that into law, how have Vic's lawyers humiliated themselves now?

Lately?

They basically amended some stuff around their case to not mention Vic being a public figure as much, because that being true makes the case much harder for them. But... it's very obviously the case, with things Vic said himself in his deposition as proof, so there's no way for them to argue otherwise and it's pretty silly to try to move away from it now.

There's also the stuff in the tweets I posted a bit earlier- they seemingly had a very quick hearing after Ron's deposition, where the judge + the other lawyers had to explain to Beard that Ron saying he did not specifically remember making individual tweets did not mean he was saying he didn't make the tweets. Which is to say that Beard had about the same bad understanding of it that all the fools on Twitter had. And apparently he also asked a lot of hypothetical questions in Ron's deposition that'll be completely inadmissible in court, in addition to being a waste of time to begin with.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Sooooo apparently Blackface Lawyer streamed the entirety of Vic's deposition, including redacted portions like this:

He was with his fiance longer than eight years, right? Truly a man of Christian faith.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo apparently Blackface Lawyer streamed the entirety of Vic's deposition, including redacted portions like this:

He was with his fiance longer than eight years, right? Truly a man of Christian faith.

Lmao jesussssssssssss

Is there a statute of limitations for soliciting prostitution?

"I've made a lot of mistakes" is the understatement of the century.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The level of incompetence blackface lawyer showcases on a daily basis is dumbfounding.

A real disgrace to ... er ... blackface lawyers ? The bar wasn't high damn it !

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I had a 3 second thing of having my mind going "shit, his own lawyers released that? poor guy" and then remembered why he was sitting in front of that camera in the first place.

He really is getting fucked over harshly by his own representation now. It is turning into a rather spectacular show.