• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having never actually watched the anime and only looked at the character on Wikipedia, that seems to be more of a matter of choice than accuracy. His title according to the Fullmetal Alchemist wiki is 大総統; 大 is just "great", whereas 総統 could be generalissimo or fuhrer, and you-know-who is the first thing to pop up if you look up that latter word in Google image search.

Either way, it still seems to be straightforwardly meant to suggest a dictator, and would probably be a weird nickname to get from your mom.
I feel like this had to have been coordinated with Arakawa, or whoever decided on the original anime's direction to a certain degree, considering where the Conqueror of Shamballa movie went.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Vic's only aware of people that have defended him as having been "harassed". Fucking piece of shit.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

tenor.gif

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way this would have come up, but I'm pretty sure there are people who are called "Führer" in real life; the word just means "guide", so it can also be like, a travel brochure (Reiseführer). So Vic had more than one pedantic argument that he could have used, but he just didn't for whatever reason.
I figured out a long time ago... the reason why some horrible people don't jump for incredibly easy and obvious opportunities to prove their innocence is because... brace yourself for it... they're guilty as sin. They can't see the innocent path ahead of them because they're not on the innocent path. That's why you (as an innocent observer) can facepalm so hard when you see someone miss something so obvious. Because it's painfully obvious to you (innocent), while it's not at all obvious to them (guilty).

Essentially, Vic can't deny that the "Fuhrer" thing was about anything except Hitler, because it was 100% about Hitler for Vic.

If "Fuhrer" was really ever about King Bradley for Vic, then that's probably where his mind would have gone, trying to explain anime to the court (despite the question specifically asking about the real world). But it has always meant "Hitler" to Vic, and he approves of that, so when he was confronted with it, he froze like a deer caught in headlights.

Also, regarding innocence, note how Vic Bologna, that paragon of Christianity, put his hands on a Bible and swore to God, and then said that he doesn't give a shit about his fans losing their money and getting swindled by a con-man. But I'm sure Vic's God-loving fans are still going to convince themselves that Vic loves them and that he's not just trying to kiss them while their parents aren't looking.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
In my mind, I picture Vic just having been blissfully unaware of the full extent of the con and the futility of this case, only to have a rude wake up call in court.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also, regarding innocence, note how Vic Bologna, that paragon of Christianity, put his hands on a Bible and swore to God, and then said that he doesn't give a shit about his fans losing their money and getting swindled by a con-man. But I'm sure Vic's God-loving fans are still going to convince themselves that Vic loves them and that he's not just trying to kiss them while their parents aren't looking.

Honestly, I was just thinking a moment ago about how the real life Fuhrer was a guy who paid lip service to Germany's Christians while plotting to instead supplant Christianity with a cult worshipping himself.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Apparently Vic's only aware of people that have defended him as having been "harassed". Fucking piece of shit.

That's not even the worst part of the the two tweets.

"So she had this horrible experience, then a second situation, she agreed to come to my room briefly. INow I wonder why she would do that?"

Does that read as a subtle "she was asking for it" to anyone else?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I knew the deposition would be bad, but even having been following this for the entire time I'm still in awe at what a complete shitshow of a person Vic is.

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
I knew the deposition would be bad, but even having been following this for the entire time I'm still in awe at what a complete shitshow of a person Vic is.

Bad doesn't even begin to describe it! Even during the deposition Vic said he didn't prepare for it. Maaann I hope they get a hold of Screech for his deposition!

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about the Fuhrer stuff is that the "as in Adolf Hitler?" parallel is brought up by his own lawyer. Nice going, guy.

Anyway, this deposition isn't going to lead to perjury charges, and (even with the saucy footnote about management doctrine in Minnesota) it's vanishingly unlikely that this leads to any consequences for Nick. But if there was somehow any doubt that Vic had anything resembling a case, that doubt is gone. The question is only how badly he gets hit when it's all over. Deposing Rekieta is entirely unnecessary to getting the case dismissed, but it could go a long way to establishing why Vic should get hit by crippling punitive sanctions because his legal fees are being financed by other people.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mike Dunford knocking this out of the park. Is there anywhere where I can read the full transcript?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He really does keep throwing blackface Screech under the bus, "don't know him, didn't authorize him, didn't even know how much money he made with that campaign". So much for Screech being a close friend of Vic, and how are there idiots still falling for this shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If thise people had self awarness they would stop giving money. But they rather get ripped off to own the libs

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also just want to say how much I love Lemoine saying to Vic that he is a unicorn, and Beard being so distraught by it that he has to ask for a break.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How does the judge read this and not say "get the fuck out of my court room".

Do Vic even talk to his "lawyers", he doesn't sound like he was prepared at all

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this had to have been coordinated with Arakawa, or whoever decided on the original anime's direction to a certain degree, considering where the Conqueror of Shamballa movie went.

Ah, yeah, good to keep in mind that the original FMA movie/anime did do the weird Nazi Germany alternate world thing.

That's not even the worst part of the the two tweets.

"So she had this horrible experience, then a second situation, she agreed to come to my room briefly. INow I wonder why she would do that?"

Does that read as a subtle "she was asking for it" to anyone else?

I wouldn't say it's closer to that as much as it's like the similarly horrible dismissal of abuse. "She stayed/came back after, so he couldn't have actually been abusive", etc.

implying "she was asking for it" would, well, be admitting he did something, so it's a slightly different brand of gross instead
So what's the time table of what's recently happened?

Vic + the defendants did depositions. Deadline for filing to dismiss lawsuit (essentially) is in a week or so; Funimation has already done that. Thing from today is defendants trying to see if they can request to depose Nick still. Also includes a large portion of Vic's deposition, which basically just repeatedly confirms that he has no real way to argue that the defendants distinctly hurt his reputation in any major way, for multiple reasons.

Sounds like Funimation's hearing to see if they get the case against them dismissed is in a month.

Mike Dunford knocking this out of the park. Is there anywhere where I can read the full transcript?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm no lawyer, but "Presumably, he has been inside of a courtroom at some point since his admittance to the bar on May 8, 2015 " seems like the closest thing to Ether you'll see in a boring lawyerspeak document like this.

Spend some time on PACER (or the free copy). You'll see worse. This is actually somewhat mild. Some judges can also get spicy.

since Rekeita is trying to claim that him going to texas for a deposition would be to expensive and too hard on his children the defense has moved to have it held at a court near him via teleconference

The original draft offered to depo him at home via teleconference if I'm not mistaken. They're asking to move it to a local court because they assume he'll just refuse to comply at home.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Good lord, what a shitshow. Vic is so screwed. He literally shot himself in the foot and his lawyer isn't helping.
BTW, is the gofundme seen as a fraud?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
How does the judge read this and not say "get the fuck out of my court room".

Do Vic even talk to his "lawyers", he doesn't sound like he was prepared at all
Lol right? Surely the minimum preparation at least would be "Don't fucking try to defend, or even admit what you did." Trying to sue someone for defamation because "They told people about a thing I did, but it sounded worse when they said it" isn't really a thing...

Sorry if it was already posted but this page by page break down of Vic's deposition by Mike Dunford is very good. (I've embedded from a few tweets in because as he self described he "Boomered it" and accidentally replied to the wrong tweet and broke the thread.)

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's in the replies by Dominique Skye. I'll try to find it again later but I'm at work right now.

Edit: Found it

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeeeesus this deposition LMAO. Seeing these morons get dragged gives me so much life.