• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear.

D_DeaItX4AArJ8N.jpg

D_DeaIsW4AQaEPX.jpg

What a goddamn surprise he has zero credentials to his name.

I'm no lawyer, but "Presumably, he has been inside of a courtroom at some point since his admittance to the bar on May 8, 2015 " seems like the closest thing to Ether you'll see in a boring lawyerspeak document like this.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
since Rekeita is trying to claim that him going to texas for a deposition would be to expensive and too hard on his children the defense has moved to have it held at a court near him via teleconference

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

D_DeaIsW4AQaEPX.jpg

My god, they broke that man. Thats some professional legal SHADE.

I can feel the burn from my computer.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
since Rekeita is trying to claim that him going to texas for a deposition would be to expensive and too hard on his children the defense has moved to have it held at a court near him via teleconference

Lmao, I've worked for a law firm for 2 years and get attorneys' schedules sent to me daily. I've never seen a depo in a judicial setting. 99% of the time it's at one of the attorneys' offices.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Vic could come out and say it was all his fault and the entire thing has been a scam as a result and the stans would still be acting like that is somehow a big win that only they understand.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Obviously, my favorite part is where they say exactly what their intentions are for raising the funds, which is actually to sue me and ensure that a lean gets put on the Volkswagen that I don't drive and have never driven.

I was going to ask about your Volkswagen. Didn't expect to see that when I was scrolling through that Twitter thread.

Sorry you've been dragged into this shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Greg was already saying how the GoFundMe was against the terms because it's for a legal defense, not a lawsuit. So it's like it went up from a 3 to a 7 on the deceit-o-meter.

And I swear one of the Era members that works in law was speculating that Nick Rekieta is not actually a practicing lawyer after he demonstrated that he doesn't know that libel ands slander are both forms of defamation. So that's a point on your score card, buddy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I gotta say. As stupid as I thought this whole lawsuit was, I didn't think it was so stupid that it would drag in another tangentially related idiot and publicly humiliate him before it's over.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Seem pretty straightforward, but grabbing stuff anyway. Only got ten pages in, I'll return later.

Plaintiff (unnecessarily and prematurely) filed a Motion to Quash Moving
Defendants' Notice of Intent to Subpoena Rekieta (the "Notice'), asserting that the Funimation
MTD stays all discovery.10

I feel like Funimation's lawyers are enjoying the freedom to dunk on Vic's side here. Remember that they already told Beard that this was nonsensical and wasn't going to work and included that in the evidence for the motion, and now that it's happened, they're just using the opportunity to throw in another jab.

See Mignogna Depo., at pp. 33 (not his attorney); 34-35 (deleted texts); and 43, 45 (not paying attorneys).

Going to return to this later, but this is presumably where you go for clarification on Vic's legal fees.

This is not at all surprising, as Plaintiff admits receiving criticism for years for
kissing young girls, and acknowledges rumors of pedophilia following him well prior to January

More evidence that the lawyers have to try really hard to keep a straight face.

Plaintiff concedes (as he must) the foregoing articles are allegedly defamatory and
damaged his reputation (collectively, the "Defamatory Articles)."22
22 See Mignogna Depo. at pp. 142-43, 156-157, 164, 230-31 ("Q. You would agree with me that if you don't sue
those magazines, your reputation is still going to be damaged because you'll never -- A. Oh, I would say my
reputation has been irreparably damaged. Q. And because of those articles, correct? A. No, sir, because of
everything. All of it. It's a cumulative thing. Didn't you use -- like the term you used, death by a thousand cuts, you
know.").

I feel like this answer might help to the support the argument of his reputation being already so damage that he can't be damaged further, but that could be my bias showing.

Some time in February 2019, out of the blue, Rekieta contacted Plaintiff directly to
express his support for Vic's "plight."29 The exact genesis of this relationship between Plaintiff
and his new fan Rekieta is unknown because Plaintiff (even after this litigation began) has a pattern
and practice of deleting relevant text communications

This has that sense of deliberate understatement to it, like "and you know what that means, right?"

Confirming his knowledge of the "MANY possible defendants," Rekieta also states
the "people Vic has worked with, and considered friends, for many years" had defamed him.33
Only Plaintiff could have revealed this information to Rekieta.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole thing, cause I had a Lyft ride and waiting for a train and a train ride, and so had time to kill.

It's, uh, maybe not worth it? Not that I expected much, but the Nick stuff is probably what's most distinctly important (which makes sense given what the document is). The deposition is largely just drilling down on the fact that he really, really has no reason to say that the defendants - both the individuals and Funimaton - were responsible for the impact to his reputation. A lot of reviewing of the numerous articles published about this which were unrelated to their comments, of the numerous conventions that canceled him without any input from the defendants, etc.

EDIT: Rather- that in itself is pretty important because it shows there's, like, 0 reason to even go after the defendants! But don't expect many individually interesting moments beyond the Nick and fan club stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
You would figure that Vic would, y'know, bring up Fuhrer King Bradley from FMA to try to mitigate the implications of being called Fuhrer from his fanbase

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Read the whole thing, cause I had a Lyft ride and waiting for a train and a train ride, and so had time to kill.

It's, uh, maybe not worth it? Not that I expected much, but the Nick stuff is probably what's most distinctly important (which makes sense given what the document is). The deposition is largely just drilling down on the fact that he really, really has no reason to say that the defendants - both the individuals and Funimaton - were responsible for the impact to his reputation. A lot of reviewing of the numerous articles published about this which were unrelated to their comments, of the numerous conventions that canceled him without any input from the defendants, etc.

EDIT: Rather- that in itself is pretty important because it shows there's, like, 0 reason to even go after the defendants! But don't expect many individually interesting moments beyond the Nick and fan club stuff.

"bu-bu-but nicky said monica forced kamehacon to disinvite him!!!11"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a law show be broken if you know someone is raising money in your name under false pretenses

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"bu-bu-but nicky said monica forced kamehacon to disinvite him!!!11"

As always, let us not forget that the one convention he can say they did contact and discuss his behavior with...

he was not actually canceled from

Seeing them go through the whole timeline just makes it even more laughable.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cant sue someone for tarnishing your name and career if you go out back and shoot it repeatedly over and over with statements like this. Like holy fuck how dumb can you be.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any trick of wording there?

As in, he's outright admitting to that specific thing already, so they didn't "get him" with that question cause he's not even hiding it. You can see from the bottom of that page in Format's post that he goes on to say more about it.

Do remember that he did post that one "apology" early on. He's framing this stuff around that, as "999/1000 fans were cool with it, but then there's always 1 so now I have to stop...", which... not sure that's gonna fly when someone's directly asking you if the creepy thing is creepy, bud.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The question specifically asked for people in real life.
There's no way this would have come up, but I'm pretty sure there are people who are called "Führer" in real life; the word just means "guide", so it can also be like, a travel brochure (Reiseführer). So Vic had more than one pedantic argument that he could have used, but he just didn't for whatever reason.

Oct 26, 2017
I check in here once a day just to see the latest and today's visit was a doozy. What an absolute shit show he's instigated.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo... Nick's response to all this has been to raise the goal of the GFM to $300,000...

When you get caught grifting... grift harder, I guess.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's no way this would have come up, but I'm pretty sure there are people who are called "Führer" in real life; the word just means "guide", so it can also be like, a travel brochure (Reiseführer). So Vic had more than one pedantic argument that he could have used, but he just didn't for whatever reason.
The lawyers probably framed the question this way to prevent Vic from using the character from FMA. Either way, you'd have to be incredibly naive to accept 'Fuhrer' as a nickname anywhere without immediately thinking of the real-world connotations behind it. There's really no defending it.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly just enjoyed that they brought his mom into that instead of letting him dismiss all of it as the fanclub.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Greg was already saying how the GoFundMe was against the terms because it's for a legal defense, not a lawsuit. So it's like it went up from a 3 to a 7 on the deceit-o-meter.

And I swear one of the Era members that works in law was speculating that Nick Rekieta is not actually a practicing lawyer after he demonstrated that he doesn't know that libel ands slander are both forms of defamation. So that's a point on your score card, buddy.

I saw a video he did with a comedian interviewing him as they eat beef jerky- he does have an office with his logo on it. I don't know what type of law he practices but some attorneys never have to step foot in a courtroom. Which means he's probably not an expert in the type of law which requires him to, like libel cases

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not in the English language.
Absolutely, but I feel like "well it's okay to call me Fuhrer because that's a guy from the anime" would be the same level of pedantic, since

1. anime is not going to be the first thing you think of when you hear that word
2. the anime guy's title is probably referencing Hitler anyway because that's not a generic word for a state leader
3. that's not even the guy he plays

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
Absolutely, but I feel like "well it's okay to call me Fuhrer because that's a guy from the anime" is on the same level of pedantic, since

1. anime is not going to be the first thing you think of when you hear that word
2. the anime guy's title is probably referencing Hitler anyway because that's not a generic word for a state leader

4. The Fuhrer in said anime wasn't exactly a role model.....

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Absolutely, but I feel like "well it's okay to call me Fuhrer because that's a guy from the anime" would be the same level of pedantic, since

this could have all been avoided if they just called King Bradley by the more accurate translation of his title of President-General: Generalissimo

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just read that deposition and wowee...

Vic sounds like he might not be quite right in the head through a lot of those questions. Whole things is just one big ole bucket of yikes though mainly.

No way this isn't gonna be the nail in the coffin for this shitshow, right? I mean... after BFL has his first visit to a big boy courtroom of course. Don't want to miss that.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

OH MY GOD
Q: Are you aware of any other GoFundMe campaign in the entire United States where a man accused of sexual harassment gets money to go sue his accusors?
A: No, sir.
Q: I mean, you're a unicorn, aren't you?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

And was mentioned earlier:

4. He was a bad guy in the anime as well.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
this could have all been avoided if they just called King Bradley by the more accurate translation of his title of President-General: Generalissimo
Having never actually watched the anime and only looked at the character on Wikipedia, that seems to be more of a matter of choice than accuracy. His title according to the Fullmetal Alchemist wiki is 大総統; 大 is just "great", whereas 総統 could be generalissimo or fuhrer, and you-know-who is the first thing to pop up if you look up that latter word in Google image search.

Either way, it still seems to be straightforwardly meant to suggest a dictator, and would probably be a weird nickname to get from your mom.