• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Funimation's filed their TCPA. Curious how the usual suspects will try to spin this.

Funimation showing up to the party like
giphy.gif

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Jesus Fucking Christ they went IN. Screech and Blackface done went tilting at windmills and got themselves a very angry giant.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

But Greg, several people ASSURED me that you were wrong and no TCPA motion could be filed because this was CLEAR DEFAMATION. I'm not sure if they were lawyers but they had only the MOST PRESTIGIOUS ANIME AVATARS AVAILABLE

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There's usually an actual topic to discuss deathbattle, can we keep that shit out of this one?

On topic though, Greg's initial reaction to that TCPA filing is exciting.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
What's a TCPA? Google isn't helping

You remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosemite Sam challenged Bugs to a duel with a glove slap to the face? And Bugs answered by putting a brick in a glove and slamming the hell out of Yosemite Sam?

That first slap is Vic's suit, the brick smash is the TCPA countersuit by Funimation.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosemite Sam challenged Bugs to a duel with a glove slap to the face? And Bugs answered by putting a brick in a glove and slamming the hell out of Yosemite Sam?

That first slap is Vic's suit, the brick smash is the TCPA countersuit by Funimation.
that is an extremely apt comparison

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Vic will think when he realizes he got duped into paying two con men and the other side a small fortune in legal fees on the tailend and downturn of his career

Oct 25, 2017
*sees people on "that" side still claim Vic is going to be victorious*
*sees Funimation filed their TCPA and it is biiiiig*

I hope these people never gamble.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the background to this?
To make a long story (somewhat) short one of the biggest proponents to the #istandwithvic stuff is a alt-right grifter youtuber with the handle Hero Hei, Hei being the main character of the anime Darker than Black.

And now the va for the character is the one replacing Vic's character in the series RWBY, which was something the youtuber kept complaining about (that Vic's roles were being taken from him). Personally I think it's some beautiful irony if I ever seem one.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ethan Van Sciver and his fucking chuds will 100% fund raise to pay whatever Vic's legal fees will be.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Ethan Van Sciver and his fucking chuds will 100% fund raise to pay whatever Vic's legal fees will be.
Which honestly just blows my mind, really. Vic is nobody to these people. He's a voice actor for 2 notable anime characters, one of whom doesn't need any great voice acting anyway.

If they get Vic everything he wants and his name is cleared and he gets his job as voice actor back.....they don't even get anything out of it.

Like, atleast with Trump, you understand that Trump represents alt-right shitheels political perspectives and has transformed the country in such a way to make life more difficult for minorities, but with Vic....he's just a random VA celebrity. He won't do anything for them.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Which honestly just blows my mind, really. Vic is nobody to these people. He's a voice actor for 2 notable anime characters, one of whom doesn't need any great voice acting anyway.

If they get Vic everything he wants and his name is cleared and he gets his job as voice actor back.....they don't even get anything out of it.

Like, atleast with Trump, you understand that Trump represents alt-right shitheels political perspectives and has transformed the country in such a way to make life more difficult for minorities, but with Vic....he's just a random VA celebrity. He won't do anything for them.

It'll make "Libs and SJWs mad" though and that's all that matters. They'll drain their bank accounts and go into debt to do so.

Nov 3, 2017

The individual involved barely matters. It's crucial to them that a message be sent to women in nerd spaces that not only will their lives be made difficult for reporting sexual offences, but that they won't be believed and the accused will suffer no repercussions.

So long as they make clear that women are unwelcome and will be targeted for stepping out of line, the price tag doesn't matter

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Vic winning would mean the status quo remains, and the "SJWs have been put in their place." Kind of a piece of the larger zeitgeist.

Thankfully, things aren't going how they'd hoped, since it was a losing battle from the start. Once this whole thing is over, it'll be clear that Vic's brand of behaviour will no longer be tolerated at cons. Hopefully it sticks.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
The individual involved barely matters. It's crucial to them that a message be sent to women in nerd that not only will their lives be made difficult for reporting sexual offences, but that they won't be believed and the accused will suffer no repercussions.

So long as they make clear that women are unwelcome and will be targeted for stepping out of line, the price tag doesn't matter

So Basically this.

cQhmpqm.jpg

If someone can shop Bill's face onto Vic's body, that would be greatly appreciated.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Double-post, but this kind of deserves its own. Thanks to the person who linked this to me.

I was curious why Vic's info wasn't on the Super World Con's site at all, but it turns out Vic was actually scheduled to be at another con, but had to cancel due to a "complication". That complication probably being somebody found out about what's been going on. Super World Con was a completely last-minute appearance.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be fun to watch the goalposts shift further and further as it becomes more clear to the Vic stans that his lawsuit is destined for failure.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be fun to watch the goalposts shift further and further as it becomes more clear to the Vic stans that his lawsuit is destined for failure.
The end result in these people's alternative reality will be that although this lawsuit failed (due to lies & conspiracies against Vic), Vic still hasn't been found guilty of any crimes and as such a Good Christian White Straight Man™'s reputation will be seen as having been ruined for no good reason by evil SJWs.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
If the lawsuit gets thrown out or lost they'll just say the judge was unfair or there was some kind of foul play. Anything short of Vic outright admitting he did everything and the lawyers saying it was a ripoff will be brushed away. It's not actually a matter of if he's guilty or not because the accepted "fact" is that he's been smeared and the people trying to bring him down have been exposed and discredited. The lawsuit resultitself is superfluous.

Nov 3, 2017
Looking through #IStandWithVic really bums me out, because amongst all the shitstains are some people who strike me as just young, socially isolated and vulnerable.

I've seen so many twitter accounts that appear to be run primarily by young women and girls, who seem to have found a sense of belonging and community in anime and fandom, who see attacks on Vic as attacks on their own community.

These are people whose want of community and acceptance is being weaponised by culture warriors and bad faith actors and turned against survivors of assault and other prominent women in need spaces.

Like it just really fucking sucks to see people whose hearts are seemingly in the right space align themselves with grifters and trolls

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
Looking through #IStandWithVic really bums me out, because amongst all the shitstains are some people who strike me as just young, socially isolated and vulnerable.

I've seen so many twitter accounts that appear to be run primarily by young women and girls, who seem to have found a sense of belonging and community in anime and fandom, who see attacks on Vic as attacks on their own community.

These are people whose want of community and acceptance is being weaponised by culture warriors and bad faith actors and turned against survivors of assault and other prominent women in need spaces.

Like it just really fucking sucks to see people whose hearts are seemingly in the right space align themselves with grifters and trolls
This!

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019

Had a fairly long post about my thoughts on this, but I just shortened it to it being a failing of the community to reach out in any meaningful way to some of these people and give them a sense of belonging along with freedom of enjoyment on some shows. I see it a lot where you're given a hard time in some communities and sites for not liking certain shows or liking others and it gives a really suffocating feeling.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So.... I don't mind hy
Another filing has dropped. Got some interesting names on there too. Ex: Screech

o.O

I would have to look up a few of them but what is Chuck Huber doing on that list?
I don't recall hearing anything about him in this situation.
though I wouldn't be surprised if he had emails and what not related to the case of interest.

(I have to go to work though so I will check in later what is going on.)

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So.... I don't mind hy

o.O

I would have to look up a few of them but what is Chuck Huber doing on that list?
I don't recall hearing anything about him in this situation.
though I wouldn't be surprised if he had emails and what not related to the case of interest.

(I have to go to work though so I will check in later what is going on.)
Vic probably mentioned all of them by name in his deposition.