• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
it depends how much they argue, that he really is a "threat" or Vic team argues that "as a "fellow" VA they know most of the live hood of a Voice Actor (specially for anime) comes out of appearances at cons and events, so they were aware that trying to get him banned of those was effectively killing his bottom line" or something like that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
it depends how much they argue, that he really is a "threat" or Vic team argues that "as a "fellow" VA they know most of the live hood of a Voice Actor (specially for anime) comes out of appearances at cons and events, so they were aware that trying to get him banned of those was effectively killing his bottom line" or something like that.
But... they haven't tried to actively get him banned. They shared their story publicly and I'm pretty sure that conventions themselves started dropping Vic because they didn't want to be associated with someone who had mountains of accusations of sexual harassment dating back, like, two+ decades. There's not a single con that these victims were demanding to drop Vic.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
But... they haven't tried to actively get him banned. They shared their story publicly and I'm pretty sure that conventions themselves started dropping Vic because they didn't want to be associated with someone who had mountains of accusations of sexual harassment dating back, like, two+ decades. There's not a single con that these victims were demanding to drop Vic.
Yep, the only con that they claim to have proof of that is Kamehacon, but even then Kamehacon came out and said that information is false.

The whole Kamehacon conspiracy fell apart when it came out that Monica knows the people who run it and that they let her drop out and approved of her signing.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
But youtube told me that Monica and Sabat totally harassed the kamehacon organizer on the phone for three hours until Vic was kicked(what is the hang up button?)

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
It's funny how that works in this day and age. Being the worst of human kind somehow makes you popular

Yeah, especially when you know exactly what to say to please your fans. Though fans is an understatement, these "fans" downright idolize Vic, making them easy to control. Throw some misinformation out that these people want to hear, then throw your lawyer power around silencing those you question you're make it seem you're on the side of justice.....it's just plain sickening and disturbing what this YouTube lawyer and Vic's brainless followers are doing.
Frankly, this whole case is just a walking contradiction. First Vic apologizes shortly after his contract terminated, not just on Twitter, but in front of people at one of the few conventions he went to. Than he goes on suing two months later.
Next, Vic followers screaming "Innocent till proven guilty", followed by automatically deeming anyone against Vic is guilty.....since you know, it only applies to the way the supports your views. Than claiming there is a big conspiracy against Vic, while forming a conspiracy to prove Vic is innocent. It's just....there isn't enough words to describe this fiasco.
I may be a been vindictive, but I would love to see this going to court for conspiracy to blow up in Beard's face and in turn hit everyone that was involved as collateral damage, including the YouTubers.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm doubting that they'd win, but it seems like something theyd do. It doesn't help that Vic's lawyer replied to a tweet written by the author of the io9 article with "welcome to the party".
At this point they're just trying to bully and intimidate anyone who's in their way, hell I wouldn't be surprised if they started going after random people on twitter and threatening them with lawsuits all because they look like fun targets to harass... Which is also why I'm really looking forward to whenever Funimation responds to this because goddamn, Ty and Vic are in for a rude awakening.

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah, especially when you know exactly what to say to please your fans. Though fans is an understatement, these "fans" downright idolize Vic, making them easy to control. Throw some misinformation out that these people want to hear, then throw your lawyer power around silencing those you question you're make it seem you're on the side of justice.....it's just plain sickening and disturbing what this YouTube lawyer and Vic's brainless followers are doing.
Frankly, this whole case is just a walking contradiction. First Vic apologizes shortly after his contract terminated, not just on Twitter, but in front of people at one of the few conventions he went to. Than he goes on suing two months later.
Next, Vic followers screaming "Innocent till proven guilty", followed by automatically deeming anyone against Vic is guilty.....since you know, it only applies to the way the supports your views. Than claiming there is a big conspiracy against Vic, while forming a conspiracy to prove Vic is innocent. It's just....there isn't enough words to describe this fiasco.
I may be a been vindictive, but I would love to see this going to court for conspiracy to blow up in Beard's face and in turn hit everyone that was involved as collateral damage, including the YouTubers.
Oh I'm just as vindictive in wanting it to blow up in their faces and have their fall from grace. We shall see how it goes down though.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay

Asuka3+1 at this point I need to ask what your intentions are?

You seem to be acting as a devil's advocate but you need to be careful because being The Devil's Advocate will lead you to be advocating for the devil.

Vic is a piece of shit. My wife even posted very early in this thread that a mutual friend was seduced by him when they were 16.

A person has come out and said "He's been doing this since I was underage and I'm 30"

So what is his legal end goal? Sue everyone until he gets enough to live on? He isn't going to get a setelment and he can't prove malicious intent.

He's Digital Homicide thinking he's got a legal gotcha. He doesn't.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
im not exactly sure a guy that need a gofundme can "intimidate" a whole company which parent company is a massive conglomerate.

That's the other thing. Have you seen the house and the neighbourhood Vic lives in? This guy didn't need to gofundme. The GFM is just another way to pick the pockets of the idiots following Nicks crusade.

Beard and Nick just get all the money from the GFM. Vic gets his free lawsuit and thousands of idiots buying his christian CDs and that's it.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
he likely is not suing funimation for the articles (trying to holding press for defamation is almost a fulls errands), but Funimation (iirc) conducted some "internal investigation", so putting Funimation on the law suit allows him to legally ask Funi to surrender any and all information regarding that investigation (likely including conversations with the other defendants). Maybe he thinks he will find evidence there or whatever.
Wouldn't the constitution protect the identities of the people who came forward? Their names will be blacked out at least as sources, correct?

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
If Beard loses or the case is thrown out, the fans will just insist it was a mistrial or something. No matter what happens these people will not turn on the side they've chosen because they've eaten up every bit of what Rickietta has been spewing. All those videos worth of "proof" will still be on YouTube too.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Wouldn't the constitution protect the identities of the people who came forward? Their names will be blacked out at least as sources, correct?
I think that only applies to minors on any litigation.

Have you seen the house and the neighbourhood Vic lives in?
NOPE, I thought VA work was not bad but not either a gold mine (unless you were the Simpson VA)

deimosmasque
Ill ask you to stop wherever you think your line of logic is taking you. I have a personal interest in Lawsuit (studying it) so im just talking about the chances of it going forwards and win or being dismissed by a judge. On a level of "Vic Mignona" I could care less if he loses and has to live on the streets.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Certain people in this thread are still going completely off the rails on anyone they think is even slightly sympathetic to Vic (when they're actually not) and it needs to stop.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
NOPE, I thought VA work was not bad but not either a gold mine (unless you were the Simpson VA)

VA work itself does not get paid very well. But attending 30 conventions a year? That adds up. Usually conventions have to pay quite some buck to get VAs to attend. Either that or the VAs earn money by getting paid for autographs/photos/selling merch.

Let's just assume here that vic earned 5'000$ per convention (i guess it's more). This would mean 150'000-200'000$ per year. Additional to what he earns with his actual job and selling his merch online.
I'll be conservative. Let's say he parties so hard that he only makes a profit of 2'000$ per convention. That's still 60'000$

He could EASILY afford to pay the legal fees himself.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're a big name in the field anime VA tends to be on the lower side of VA pay doesn't it?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Unless you're a big name in the field anime VA tends to be on the lower side of VA pay doesn't it?

I remember Crispin Freeman once said even Anime based video games pay more than the dub work of the anime itself.

Watching Talking Toons recently Steve Blum said something along the lines of one episode of a western cartoon pays more than a 26 episode cour anime dub iirc (says a lot about Laura Bailey coming back for Fruits Basket).

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Crispin Freeman once said even Anime based video games pay more than the dub work of the anime itself.

Watching Talking Toons recently Steve Blum said something along the lines of one episode of a western cartoon pays more than a 26 episode cour anime dub iirc (says a lot about Laura Bailey coming back for Fruits Basket).
well i would imagine main roles in funimations bigger dubs would pay more

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certain people in this thread are still going completely off the rails on anyone they think is even slightly sympathetic to Vic (when they're actually not) and it needs to stop.

Well... a bit of sensitivity on the matter is to be expected considering how many times we've had asshole stans show up in the thread... but yeah, we should watch we don't go overboard on the paranoia here I agree.

Okay

Asuka3+1 at this point I need to ask what your intentions are?

You seem to be acting as a devil's advocate but you need to be careful because being The Devil's Advocate will lead you to be advocating for the devil.

This ain't the way, guy. Asuka3+1 hasn't posted anything unreasonable here.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
While investigating i found an old discussion in the ANN-forum from 2012.

If I recall correctly, Vic Mignogna charges $1500 a day or so. Atleast, that's what I heard back in 2008 from some people associated with a Dutch animeconvention... Multiple people from different conventions, actually. It was estimated it would cost nearly €7000 to have him over for the weekend. €3000 in fees, €4000 to make sure arrangements (including his flight, hotel room) were up to his standards.

I doubt the fees got lower in the following 10 years.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Tbh I don't think this situation is as crazy as people make it out to be. Lawsuits over stupid crap happen all the time, and while this may be rocking the more nerdy fandom sphere, people have sued others over crap to try and intimidate them all the time. As people have brought up, this suit is less about Funimation as much as it's about getting back at the people who "wronged" Vic. You can actually sue anyone for anything, winning is another story but it does sound big and scary if you're not too familiar with this which is what they're going for here to the point where I've seen other random dipwads now start claiming they've been in contact with Ty Beard once their attempts at getting under someone's skin or harassment completely fail.

This is why Funimation needs to hurry up with their legal response because as it stands them being quiet about this is unintentionally letting this dumpster fire of conspiracies run amok. Treating these sorts of events like pundit debates isn't something most people or even any company is really used to but that's the unfortunate world we live and whether I like it or not I can't deny that Vic's team is winning that particular side of the argument.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Vic would've still been riding the FMA Brotherhood high at that time. He hasn't done anything even close to that big since, so I could see his fees dropping.
They might have been been a bit higher recently compared to the past couple years due to Broly.
He's also known for being a diva, so his prices might have never dropped and he just kept getting invited to cons because he has a weird fanbase that shows up.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
They might have been been a bit higher recently compared to the past couple years due to Broly.
He's also known for being a diva, so his prices might have never dropped and he just kept getting invited to cons because he has a weird fanbase that shows up.

That's the ticker though. If you have a cultlike fanbase that go wherever you are, you can charge whatever you want.

5000$ is not much for a guy who sells 500 more tickets just by being there. I once had a convention pay over 1000$ for my flight and hotel (they messed up ordering the flight) and i'm a nobody. And it was still worth it for them, because the moment they announced me, they sold 100 additional tickets.

That's why cons invited him back. Even though he is a Diva. Even though he stole from staff (allegedly). Even though he was "overly friendly" with the underage girls. Or in total. Even though he was extremely problematic.

If he brings in the cash, you close both eyes.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
That's the ticker though. If you have a cultlike fanbase that go wherever you are, you can charge whatever you want.

5000$ is not much for a guy who sells 500 more tickets just by being there. I once had a convention pay over 1000$ for my flight and hotel (they messed up ordering the flight) and i'm a nobody. And it was still worth it for them, because the moment they announced me, they sold 100 additional tickets.

That's why cons invited him back. Even though he is a Diva. Even though he stole from staff (allegedly). Even though he was "overly friendly" with the underage girls. Or in total. Even though he was extremely problematic.

If he brings in the cash, you close both eyes.
What' this about him stealing?

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
He is kind of self entitled guy who thinks he deserves everything. I don't think I've told it here but I had a brief anecdote from someone I met who recorded some minor funi roles: they knew and had heard from many people Vic's rep was bad, but didn't really witness the man's diva behavior until they had to be stuck in a booth next to him. The guy was allegedly pulling a Van Halen and freaking out about M&Ms being the wrong color (they were all supposed to be GREEN!), loud and disruptive enough for at least the next booth over to hear. It almost doesn't sound real, but it would not shock me if vic did that, because he strikes me as that much of a bastard.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He is kind of self entitled guy who thinks he deserves everything. I don't think I've told it here but I had a brief anecdote from someone I met who recorded some minor funi roles: they knew and had heard from many people Vic's rep was bad, but didn't really witness the man's diva behavior until they had to be stuck in a booth next to him. The guy was allegedly pulling a Van Halen and freaking out about M&Ms being the wrong color (they were all supposed to be GREEN!), loud and disruptive enough for at least the next booth over to hear. It almost doesn't sound real, but it would not shock me if vic did that, because he strikes me as that much of a bastard.

Huh.

This is the same guy who decided to play William Shatner's role in a fan project, right?

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Archie didnt have him sign a contract. They were honestly really inept.

As the person who was studying each filing made in the case as it dragged on and the person who broke the news of what was going on with the key component in dispute--that being the contract--I feel the need to clarify this a tad.

Officially, we don't know if Penders ever signed a contract with Archie. We just know that when Archie filed the complaint (remember Archie was the plaintiff, not Penders), and it came time for Archie to prove he did, they could not produce the original contract.

That's why Archie lost their case. That's probably why the license went over to IDW. Penders was put in a position to say "prove it" and Archie could not.

This, on top of all the other stigmas attached to coming forward with a claim of sexual assault, is probably why no one who's made an accusation against Vic has actively pursued criminal justice or a civil suit. If you put Vic in a position to say "prove it," it's possible the accusations, even with some evidence behind them, may not be at the legal standard of what's considered sexual assault or sexual harassment.

And that's what I think makes Vic flinching first intriguing. If I had to guess, he wants to see what, if any, kind of investigation Funi conducted, and he might be on to something there. Corporations have a tough time keeping track of even recent records.

I would anticipate signed affidavits from all named defendants if this isn't thrown out of court. They will need to be quite thorough. I think this gets very nasty and very winnable for Vic if he can make it to discovery, if what I suspect he is (isn't?) looking for pans out. I also think those chances shift dramatically if Funi can get this to a jury trial. It's probably worth it for Funi to see this through--even if, theoretically, their investigation is revealed to be a sham.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
What' this about him stealing?

He loved to ask his handlers and other staff members at conventions to go grab him something to eat or to drink. When they brought it to him, he miraculously didn't have any money on him or was so busy with his fans, that he "forgot" to pay them back.
Or he just made it look like, it was free for him anyway (although he knew it wasn't and they had to pay out of their own pockets).

He's a freeloader. A bill-dodger. A dine-n-dasher. In other words. Someone who receives something without paying for it. A thief.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I get it, believe me.

This whole situation has gotten a lot bigger and more insane than I know I was prepared for.
I'm honestly amazed this is still going 3 months later. I figured Vic would have just quietly fucked off to being a televangelist or something. But I guess he's that much of a diva that he needs to drag this out.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
As the person who was studying each filing made in the case as it dragged on and the person who broke the news of what was going on with the key component in dispute--that being the contract--I feel the need to clarify this a tad.

Officially, we don't know if Penders ever signed a contract with Archie. We just know that when Archie filed the complaint (remember Archie was the plaintiff, not Penders), and it came time for Archie to prove he did, they could not produce the original contract.

That's why Archie lost their case. That's probably why the license went over to IDW. Penders was put in a position to say "prove it" and Archie could not.

This, on top of all the other stigmas attached to coming forward with a claim of sexual assault, is probably why no one who's made an accusation against Vic has actively pursued criminal justice or a civil suit. If you put Vic in a position to say "prove it," it's possible the accusations, even with some evidence behind them, may not be at the legal standard of what's considered sexual assault or sexual harassment.

And that's what I think makes Vic flinching first intriguing. If I had to guess, he wants to see what, if any, kind of investigation Funi conducted, and he might be on to something there. Corporations have a tough time keeping track of even recent records.

I would anticipate signed affidavits from all named defendants if this isn't thrown out of court. They will need to be quite thorough. I think this gets very nasty and very winnable for Vic if he can make it to discovery, if what I suspect he is (isn't?) looking for pans out. I also think those chances shift dramatically if Funi can get this to a jury trial. It's probably worth it for Funi to see this through--even if, theoretically, their investigation is revealed to be a sham.
Oh, I see. I actually didn't realize it was Archie that brought the case!

I'm honestly amazed this is still going 3 months later. I figured Vic would have just quietly fucked off to being a televangelist or something. But I guess he's that much of a diva that he needs to drag this out.
That's because it turned into a movement. It's not going away anytime soon.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
He was prepared to do so. But his rabid supporters, riled up by youtube hatemongers, kept the whole thing going and kept attacking the victims to a point where they in return had to criminate him even stronger.

Remember. The whole thing went from. "He grabbed underage girls butts and kissed them and hugged them and invited underage girls into his hotel-room" to "He sexually assaulted/harassed several of his VA-colleagues and tried to have Sex with a 15 year old girl when he was 26".

This escalation combined with Nick running a GFM and convincing Vic to take the money and position himself as a victim of SJW-Injustice had to lead to this point.

And it's not going to die soon. The youtubers, the vicstans, Shane Holmberg and Renfamous will keep this thing going a while.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I blame Rekieta. He smelled an opportunity to profit from the situation and now he wants to keep it going as long as possible. Guy is just the worst kind of scum.

Without him, Vic might just have quietly left this career behind with making too much of a fuss like he has with all his others.

Vic hasn't even distanced himself from alt-right trolls, shows where he lies

Oh, for sure. He's probably enjoying seeing his victims be harassed and threatened in his name for sure.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
Vic hasn't even distanced himself from alt-right trolls, shows where he lies

In german we have a nice saying. "Wes Brot ich fress, des Lied ich sing".

It basically means. I'm singing the tune of whoevers bread i eat. I think the english saying goes "He who pays the piper calls the tune. "

So it makes sense from a business-standpoint that he doesn't distance himself from these guys. And also i'm pretty sure that he got the same thought process they do.
Not going into details why, but it's save to assume that he's also a trump-supporter.

(fun fact. Some Vicstans even tweeted to Trump to help poor Vic out....)

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It probably doesn't matter whether he share the same views or agrees with them or whatever. His career is basically done and a bunch of people are giving him money or at least his lawyers money to get something out of this.

(Not saying he's probably a super liberal or super leftist person or whatever, just probably opportunistic)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt the fees got lower in the following 10 years.

Seeing the quality of shows he was attending and his declining work load, wouldn't be surprised if his fees did have to come down.

Have to remember that there are more conventions than ever, the competition for guests is greater, bigger stars are doing shows more often. Lower end voice actors and comic book artists in many cases make very little on going to cons anymore, they mostly just get free travel and lodging from promoters and depend on selling merch/autographs/photoops. Most comic artists get paid nothing I know to appear at cons unless they are the top of the line big names. Anime VA's are very low on that tier too of con guest fees from a local promoter friend.

Oct 25, 2017
So Roosterteeth's twitter account has been getting spammed by Vic stans since they cut ties... a lot of their claims were laughable from "Vic is going to bankrupt them" to "all RWBY fans want Vic back" but this...

Vic's situation is the same as the lynching and discrimination received by minorities

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
So Roosterteeth's twitter account has been getting spammed by Vic stans since they cut ties... a lot of their claims were laughable from "Vic is going to bankrupt them" to "all RWBY fans want Vic back" but this...

Vic's situation is the same as the lynching and discrimination received by minorities

This reminds me of around the time all this was first going down that a few Vic stans tried to claim it was racisim because Vic is Sicilian and therefore may have African heritage.

Last edited:

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019

Social media is toxic. I deleted my twitter because politics, counter-culture, and anger has taken over everything.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Taking a peak at her feed she's so over the top deranged I'd almost call fake.