• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, its maddening. Kanzenshuu is a trashfire. You're one of the few people there that isn't a cloying demented fanboy.

I'd like to think it has its fair share of sensible minds, but that it devolves into "YOU GUYS ARE BEING MEAN TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is getting real old, really fast. I'm amazed that one troll hasn't been banned yet for how much he's derailed the thread.

It's happening on ANN too -- observe this lovely piece of victim-blaming.

The problem isn't the analysis, it's the implicit claim that her i09 article was properly conducted. It's a basis for contention. Everyone can scream unprofessional all they want (it's a subjective adjective), but we (should) all know that you wouldn't comment about your own article especially when a mention of your article is also plastered on the lawsuit claim and the threat of ligitation is as real as ever.

"she shouldn't have done that!!!!111" is so goddamn telling

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
From what I saw on Twitter, Blackface Lawyer seems very confident that Sony won't intervene. I'm not sure why.
Sounds like he's contradicting himself. Isn't he the one who claimed Sony conducted the investigation over funi? Why would they not get involved, especially if they can prove who the whistleblower is who leaked details to Nicky and sue the pants off both the whistleblower and him? It makes no sense that they wouldn't get involved esp as Funi's current parent company. They have even more power than funi does monetarily and in the industry. He's fucked, he's denying the inevitable. And even without Sony, funimation is the largest distributor of anime in the US, not like they're dirt poor and unable to afford a better attorney. Both funi and Sony definitely can afford better attorneys than any of the white trash lawyers Vic has.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I heard someone say this:

"
It kind of seems like Mignogna is destined to win this this lawsuit. How are the defendants supposed to prove that he did what he was accused of? How do you prove someone committed sexual assault or harassment?"

Any thoughts on this? I really don't want him to win

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

"
It kind of seems like Mignogna is destined to win this this lawsuit. How are the defendants supposed to prove that he did what he was accused of? How do you prove someone committed sexual assault or harassment?"

Look up Burden of Proof. Should suffice for an answer.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
In this case Vic will have to prove that they lied. Which is unlikely because he's already admitted to some of the acts he was accused of already and even apologised.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

"

He's accusing others of conspiring against him. No one has made any legal accusation against him.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
I think blackface lawyer probably hasn't done much law outside his teeny tiny rural bubble in bumfuck nowhere... he does realize that Texas courts are different, right? That they are a different state, that they have different laws? Even if the other lawyer is a Texan he doesn't really seem to understand his own state's laws. I think it's laughable that these two inexperienced guys think they can go up against corporate conglomerates at all. They're pushing their luck.

Courts typically favor corporate personhood. Corporations have the most money. In this case I actually agree with them firing Vic, and I can't see what legal repercussions they could even face for it.

he was essentially a contractor for Funi in a right to work state, where there are no unions, and contractors are even less protected than technical employees of the company.

Texas companies can fire you for way milder shit than what they fired Vic for, with less investigation, at the drop of a hat, and whether it's fair or unfair, they won't favor you if you try and sue the company in a court of law. They will always favor the company. So he's not going to win against Funi. Them firing him was justifiable anyway.

I doubt that funi/sony will settle with him. There's no way they would settle for something as high as $1 million, that's a big loss and makes them look weak as a company, makes them look vulnerable to any people who pull a Vic in the future and want to follow suit and sue them... they're not going to let him take that much money from them, no way in hell.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I saw on Twitter, Blackface Lawyer seems very confident that Sony won't intervene. I'm not sure why.
Does he seriously think the company that ran the initial investigation that got Vic fired, that apparently has someone leaking internal investigation details to a Youtuber, who's subsidiary is now implicated in a $1,000,000 lawsuit, won't be intervening? It's amazing the ambulance chaser can blink and breathe at the same time.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Also I don't believe Vic was fired. Didn't Funimation just do an announcement that they were no longer contracting him for work.

Ask a WWE performer how much legal liability a company has when severing a contract.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Is Morose Mononokean even mentioned in the filing at all?

It's the one tiny thing they could MAYBE tackle Funi for, and that no one's mentioned it being there says to me it's not. Which means they ain't got shit on Funi.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I need to look into it more, but fwiw- there was a reply to the io9 writer's tweet thread suggesting that the choice of this being in Texas, and that specific county, is likely intentional. Something about Beard having done this before, because it's annoying to send someone out to and so they may be more likely to settle?

I'll look into it a bit tomorrow.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I need to look into it more, but fwiw- there was a reply to the io9 writer's tweet thread suggesting that the choice of this being in Texas, and that specific county, is likely intentional. Something about Beard having done this before, because it's annoying to send someone out to and so they may be more likely to settle?

Losing a million dollars is more convenient than sending a lawyer to Texas.

That's like the sickest burn on Texas ever.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is only tangentially related here, but I was looking on Amazon UK earlier and ended up on the Broly Blu-ray page and saw that the Vic asshole reviews have started cropping up there now.

Tried to report the review as it was telling people to pirate the movie rather than buy it, but Amazon only has a "report abuse" button so I don't know how much good that'll do.

It's like nowhere is safe from these fucking people.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the whole at-will state thing, I don't believe they're going after Funimation for firing Vic. They're going after Monica et al for interfering with Vic's contracts and preventing him from getting future ones. Both his work with anime has been mentioned and his income from conventions, so the contracts he's claiming they interfered with might be conventions cancelling him.

Funimation is being accused of vicarious liability, which boils down to "look what your employees did!"

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what county it is, but as for Texas, that makes sense.

Funimation headquarters are located in Flower Mound, TX (which is near the middle of the northern border of Texas). Most of the voice actors who work with funimation live nearby and likely also live in Texas, so yeah...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm either not very familiar with the specific of vicarious liability or I've forgotten the details of it. Is it actually as simple as bringing Funimation in just because the supposed conspirators are employed by them? I'm mostly seeing Canadian stuff when I try googling for it, but looking at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respondeat_superior

The employer-employee relationship is the most common area respondeat superior is applied, but the doctrine is also used in the agency relationship. In this relationship, the principal becomes liable for the actions of the agent even if the principal did not commit the act. There are three considerations generally:

1. Was the act committed within the time and space limits of the agency?
  2. Was the offense incidental to, or of the same general nature as, the responsibilities the agent is authorized to perform?
  3. Was the agent motivated to any degree to benefit the principal by committing the act?

The degree to which these are answered in the affirmative dictates the degree to which the doctrine can be applied

I'm not seeing how any of these considerations would go against Funimation. Maybe they were tweeting while working with Funimation, but they could have done that anywhere. Theirs tweets have nothing to do with their responsibilities as voice actors and do nothing to directly benefit Funimation, except if you genuinely believe that they need to remove a threat to other employees, which wouldn't be the intentional misinformation that's being claimed.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the idea seems to be that x individuals were actually agents or representatives of funimation according to some dumbshit i quickly muted on twitter

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
the idea seems to be that x individuals were actually agents or representatives of funimation according to some dumbshit i quickly muted on twitter
Yes, but I think that's in the sense of being employed by Funimation, not them being Funimation spies or anything. That much is just within the definition of the accusation. These people act on behalf of Funimation, so Funimation bears some of the responsibility for what they do.

What I'm wondering is if they can actually successfully claim that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
that sounds on the face of it to me insane because trying to tie corporate responsibility to individuals acting in their private lives outside their scope as employees sounds fucking nuts

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Monica doesn't only do voice work for Funimation so I assumed she was a contracter

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Monica doesn't only do voice work for Funimation so I assumed she was a contracter

Basically, most of the voice actors (not all, mind you) are just contracted free lance workers. This is also true for translators and some other parts of the production work. Chris Sabat, curiously enough for his Okratron studio, doesn't list FUNimation as a contractor, so I assume he considers them an extension of his work.

Still, regardless of that, FUNimation needs to provide a safe environment for their workers, contracted or not. Which is why it's in their best interest to deal with this.

But yeah, Monica Rial and the like don't represent FUNimation. But at the same time, the company takes some responsibility in ensuring safety of their contractors and employees, so it's really one and the same here.

That's the basic jist of this, really.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My best friend talked to me about his behavior recently and how she experienced it at a Texas convention.

It's crazy how impersonal this matter was until your BEST FRIEND says "oh yeah, he did that stuff even with me and made me sick to my stomach".

All I needed to hear. I'm beyond done with anyone who defends him.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My best friend talked to me about his behavior recently and how she experienced it at a Texas convention.

It's crazy how impersonal this matter was until your BEST FRIEND says "oh yeah, he did that stuff even with me and made me sick to my stomach".

All I needed to hear. I'm beyond done with anyone who defends him.
:(

Stevetry

Feb 24, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling in a thread regarding sexual harassment, account in junior phase
Not looking good for FUNimation to have mainstream media talking about this the way they are they should have handled this better.
I really don't think they expected so many people to push back but a good thing is that with this we will know who was telling the truth.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
nine posts in two months lol

anyway this being reported on mainstream news means basically nothing, because anyone who would care probably already knows

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is that burner really trying to imply that mainstream media is on Vic's side? That's something I certainly haven't seen.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Not looking good for FUNimation to have mainstream media talking about this the way they are they should have handled this better.
I really don't think they expected so many people to push back but a good thing is that with this we will know who was telling the truth.
I suppose you think this looks better for Vic and his decade plus bad reputation that's followed him around?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, maybe fox news would be on Vic's side, but i can't really see CNN or MSNBC ignoring the decades long history of people complaining about Vic's behavior

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What mainstream outlets have covered it? I can't find any.

I'd like to believe that msm coverage would be a good thing (so long as it isn't Fox of course) as that would mean there was at least more information out there that wasn't being delivered through the filter of sycophantic cultists on Youtube.

I'd like to believe that.

a good thing is that with this we will know who was telling the truth.

We know this already though.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I know that's a burner account and probably a troll but to be honest he's kind of right that Funimation could handle this better from a PR standpoint, but not in the way he says. The problem I'm seeing isn't really what they've done because they didn't do anything wrong as much as them and any other company that have this BS internet outrage machine growing are unintentionally letting it grow by not addressing it directly. Now they're going to address it directly whenever they respond to the lawsuit but with all the nonsense going on right now they'd be better to address it sooner rather than later.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify: I keep seeing the Vic apologists on ANN mention how Funi's investigation was "inconclusive". Was this from Rekieta's cherrypicked bullshit with the jellybean thing or...?
they've been tooting that horn from the start, they weren't going to accept that Funi did proper due diligence from the beginning. The jellybean thing is just something that blackface lawyer is bullshitting about being the most 'damning' thing that Vic did when in all likelihood he just cherrypicked it out of a plethora of much worse things that were stated about Vic in the investigation.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
they've been tooting that horn from the start, they weren't going to accept that Funi did proper due diligence from the beginning. The jellybean thing is just something that blackface lawyer is bullshitting about being the most 'damning' thing that Vic did when in all likelihood he just cherrypicked it out of a plethora of much worse things that were stated about Vic in the investigation.

Pretty much what I suspected. Thanks.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Is that burner really trying to imply that mainstream media is on Vic's side? That's something I certainly haven't seen.

Wow I can't believe even the lamestream media knew who was lying. Wow. Funi is sure in trouble now!

I'm guessing these people have literally never read Variety before. Just about everything there reads as a press release and the article about the lawsuit is no different. It just says what he has been accused of and what the lawsuit alleges. That's literally it, because that's how everything Variety does reads.

I'm guessing the jellybean thing is something that is obviously not excusable that also happened in a public forum, so it can be easily verified. They have to acknowledge he did it, but it's the only thing he did, right, because most of the rest of it is usually more overt harassment happening one-on-one so they can just say that oh that, that stuff is made up, so it doesn't count.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If these idiots had a single thought of their own you'd think they'd want to be shown the Funi report BFL supposedly has to see for themselves what it says, y'know... because "evidence" is apparently such a big thing for them in every other instance.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know his supporters don't come away thinking he's innocent. Like this Yellowflash guy, he's obsessed with this and I really don't get why. (Really wish his vids would stop popping up in my feed)