• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
He was Qrow, a fairly significant recurring character, who is a: probably going to continue to appear in the show (since they claimed that his firing wouldn't affect the creative direction of the show), and thus he probably would've continued to be Qrow sans being fired. As for the other show, i don't know either, and I don't care overly much, because texas is an at-will state, and he can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law.
The point being, voice actors usually are not actually employees of the company they are doing a job for. He was likely working on a contract basis; he isn't fired because he was never hired in the first place.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
The point being, voice actors usually are not actually employees of the company they are doing a job for. He was likely working on a contract basis; he isn't fired because he was never hired in the first place.

I think that's a distinction without a difference, especially when a contract for a show is ongoing, but I don't wish to argue it further.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Right, I think it's important to note Funimation's phrasing when it happened.

"Funimation will not be engaging Mignogna in future productions."

That doesn't say, "We have fired Mignogna." That's just, "We're not gonna bring him back in."

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The whole situation with this harassment, a voice actor faking evidence, etc is just so surreal. Why bother? He's a damn anime voice actor.

I'm out of the loop, what are the incidents of Vic being antisemitic?
Honestly it was minor and I don't think it needed to be in the thread title. There were two incidents people named AFAIK, the first being when someone bought one of his fan albums and asked him to sign it at a signing. Vic asked why not one of his Christian rock albums and when the fan said they were Jewish, Vic joked "Well, we can change that!"
The second was when a panel going on next door to his had lots of screaming and he said "it sounds like a holocaust in there!"

I'd only consider the first one antisemetic but it's also just kinda something that religious Christians do. I've had people express that sentiment to me over my life when I've told them I'm a Jew that think they're doing a good thing. I just kind of chalk it up to being overly religious.

Edit: fixed the first story

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation with this harassment, a voice actor faking evidence, etc is just so surreal. Why bother? He's a damn anime voice actor.

Honestly it was minor and I don't think it needed to be in the thread title. There were two incidents people named AFAIK, the first being when he invited someone Jewish to one of his prayer services. The person politely passed on it, saying he was Jewish, and Vic joked "Well, we can change that!"
The second was when a panel going on next door to his had lots of screaming and he said "it sounds like a holocaust in there!"

I'd only consider the first one antisemetic but it's also just kinda something that religious Christians do. I've had people express that sentiment to me over my life when I've told them I'm a Jew that think they're doing a good thing. I just kind of chalk it up to being overly religious.
Actually the first incident was someone was at a signing and bought one of his fan albums, but not one of his Christian rock albums. Vic asked why and she said she is Jewish. Then he said what you posted.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, it basically has nothing to do with anime or voice acting. I don't care about dubbing, voice acting in general or Dragon Ball, and I've barely watched any anime in the past decade, yet I've seen talk of this situation pop up quite a bit.

Similarly, I've seen people who weren't even fans of Vic Mignogna in the past suddenly become fervent defenders of his. Some of them are people who used to talk about how creepy he was (because these types of stories have existed about this guy pretty much since he started doing voice work), but recently have done a total 180.

While there are a number of people who are likely just naive fans, a large portion of the people kicking and screaming about the "false allegations" have basically co-opted and politicized the narrative into "the left is trying to destroy this guy's life because he's a conservative Christian!"

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
Do these people even realize that they actually hurt Vic? They are bringing so much attention to this, that a simple google search of his name will reveal a toxic clusterf**k of his supporters. It will be next to impossible to hide this from anyone who may consider hiring him in the future. Nobody will touch him with a ten foot pole with that kind of rabid fanbase. They just continue to hurt his career even more, because it reached a point where a company will not want to get involved with any of this, regardless of what they think about the allegations.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Do these people even realize that they actually hurt Vic? They are bringing so much attention to this, that a simple google search of his name will reveal a toxic clusterf**k of his supporters. It will be next to impossible to hide this from anyone who may consider hiring him in the future. Nobody will touch him with a ten foot pole with that kind of rabid fanbase. They just continue to hurt his career even more, because it reached a point where a company will not want to get involved with any of this, regardless of what they think about the allegations.
The vast majority don't care about Vic. This is about attacking women and ensuring that no one challenges the power white men have to get away with this stuff.

The goal isn't to get Vic his career back, it's to make sure people are too scared to speak out again.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The vast majority don't care about Vic. This is about attacking women and ensuring that no one challenges the power white men have to get away with this stuff.

The goal isn't to get Vic his career back, it's to make sure people are too scared to speak out again.

Aye, aye. It makes the claims of victims doing this for the attention somehow even more disingenuous, who in their right mind would want to go through all this :/

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was that SWAT incident really faked by one of Vic's accusers? Ffs why? You don't need to do shit like that to make Vic defenders look bad when they're already making themselves look like total lunatics without any help.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Was that SWAT incident really faked by one of Vic's accusers? Ffs why? You don't need to do shit like that to make Vic defenders look bad when they're already making themselves look like total lunatics without any help.
No, unfortunately it was faked by the person saying they got SWATted, and it didn't help the need for a legitimate fight to protect people from Vic or his behavior or the behavior of his fans or those who have piggybacked on the story with their own agenda. It just made it a whole lot worse.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
No, they were discovered to be using photos of the event from a Facebook post that came from 2016, which sort of delegitimized the SWAT claim, and then they deactivated their Facebook account. No word from them since.
Oh my god. That's such bizarre behavior from a seemingly solid person that I'd assume it was a hack. But I guess they would have mentioned something by now.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so steamed about the fake Swatting it's not even funny -- just another one of many examples of why women don't come forward.

What a clusterfuck this became.

The fucked thing is that apparently someone tried to swat Schemmel too, so it's not like this wasn't going to happen at some point. This sort of play's well within their repertoire.

So the question becomes why bother faking it? With all of shit Mignogna has done, and with how shitting Mignogna's "fans" have been acting, why did you feel the need to jump on top of the pile with something fake? Did you really want the sympathy of "I was almost killed by Vic's terrible fans!" that badly? Is it some weird attempt at martyring yourself for the sake of a narrative?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What's worth it will only embolden them in there harassment.
"See they will say or do anything to ruin Vic. They are all making it up."

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, unfortunately it was faked by the person saying they got SWATted, and it didn't help the need for a legitimate fight to protect people from Vic or his behavior or the behavior of his fans or those who have piggybacked on the story with their own agenda. It just made it a whole lot worse.

That is incredibly disappointing to hear.

The loons are gonna eat this up.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Apparently the individual in question has "clinical issues"-- I'd assume this means she's neurodiverse in some way that a negative result of that would be feeling a need to do something like that. Hopefully she gets help, but it does cast some doubt on to her initial story about Vic unless the other actress involved comes forward.

Of course, the hate mob wouldn't even believe it then, so I wouldn't blame the other actress for, well, not.

But what this shouldn't do is cast doubt on anyone else's experience.

I've also seen it brought up as an example of the KickVic side fabricating evidence "again", but really it's only the first time and for something unrelated to Vic himself. It's like these bozos refuse to acknowledge someone got caught trying to make an ex-friend look bad and that they were even shunned by the group which was merely trying to collect evidence. That's literally the only other case. Like, one could even make the case it's an attempt by their side to make survivors look bad. I won't because it seems like the troll legit was only concerned with making their friend look bad and didn't care either way about Vic, but one could.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't hear this one before. The word "holocaust" originally just meant a large fire and wasn't used in any special context, it's just that the Holocaust has such a powerful cultural presence that we almost never use the original sense of the word. Similar situation as the name "Adolf" suddenly going from common to extremely rare. I doubt Vic meant it in the original sense, but if that's what he said, it seems like a fairly easy thing to claim semantics on.

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
io9 just published a full-fledge feature, and oh hell, it is already a doozie
https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505

Voice actor Charlotte (not her real name) confirmed to io9 that she shared her story with Funimation for its investigation. She relayed to io9 her experience, one which Mignogna denied in emailed responses to io9's questions. Charlotte said that at a con in the late 2000s, she was getting ready to go to dinner with Mignogna and some other con guests and employees. Mignogna asked if they could stop by his room first, because he wanted to show her a video, and she agreed. Because both were in relationships—Mignogna with his now ex-fiancée Michele Specht and Charlotte with her then-boyfriend—she believed the invitation was platonic.

As they watched the video, she says, Mignogna grabbed her by the arms and kissed her aggressively, including putting his tongue inside her mouth. She tried to pull away, only to have him pull her back in. She told io9 she felt scared and frozen, "like a board." Then, things escalated. Charlotte said Mignogna backed her up to the bed and she fell down, then he got on top of her. Soon after, a friend came to check on them, and she immediately got off of the bed.

"I was saved by a door knock. I can't say what would've happened [otherwise]. I don't know if I would've kicked his ass, or he would've kept [going] and I stayed frozen," she said. "I keep waking up in the middle of the night with that panic feeling. It's that panic, it's that feeling I have to do something to get him away from me."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A holocaust is a burnt offering or sacrifice, not just "a large fire" and even in its original meaning was used in a religious context. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_(sacrifice)

Regardless, yeah, I doubt anyone post WWII that has heard or spoken the word has ever done so without being reminded of or imagining the genocide of 6 million Jewish people...even deniers.

Thanks for the clarification. I think "nuclear holocaust" might still be a common term, but I also don't think most people would describe it as just "a holocaust".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Is this the first full article on this? Just quickly scanning it right now, want to give it a proper read later. This jumps out at me:

Convention staffers also discussed their own Mignogna interactions with io9. Two people who've worked at Phoenix Comicon (now Phoenix FanFusion) shared how staffers would sometimes alert coworkers over the radio when a certain person was entering an area. One of them described it being used for Mignogna, to make sure a particular 19-year-old female staffer wasn't in the area. She called it "Code Vic."

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
From the article: a statement by his ex-wife.

My 12-year relationship [and] engagement to Vic Mignogna ended in May 2018. Very soon after, information about Vic's previously unknown behavior began to surface, and has continued to do so over the last several months—each revelation more shocking and painful than the previous, spanning the entirety of our time together. I have had to face the reality that the loving, monogamous relationship I believed in and was devoted to never existed.

This pattern of egregious behavior is so linked to his position of power that the voices of those stepping forward with allegations need to be heard clearly, and their claims taken with the utmost seriousness. And I extend whatever remains of my broken heart to every one of them.

It's also worth noting Vic himself was contacted for the article and gave various statements/"clarifications." His stance on consent is..telling, to say the least.

"If I'm a jerk and you don't tell me so, then you're consenting to me being a jerk. See how that works?" he said. "If somebody is doing something you don't approve of and you don't say anything...the implication is that you must be okay with it."

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hoo boy... gonna read it shortly.

tenor.gif

Feb 5, 2019
I appreciate Michele's public statement on Vic's behavior and her support of the survivors.

Granted she had already indirectly called him a textbook narcissist on Twitter and liked many of the #KickVic posts. So people who have been closely following Vic's allegations knew where she stood; it was a relief to finally see her speak out publicly.

I hope that Michele is hanging in there and that she takes all of the time she needs to heal.

The "Rachel" story made me grimace. Holy crap!

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Right, I think it's important to note Funimation's phrasing when it happened.

"Funimation will not be engaging Mignogna in future productions."

That doesn't say, "We have fired Mignogna." That's just, "We're not gonna bring him back in."

Some of Funimation's currently airing simuldubs like Reincarnated as a Slime also had him as a side character (that character got killed off) so I think that was another reason for their specific wording.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
From the article: a statement by his ex-wife.

It's also worth noting Vic himself was contacted for the article and gave various statements/"clarifications." His stance on consent is..telling, to say the least.
alternatively
try not to be a jerk in the first place

It really comes across that he's totally aware of how harmful he is, he just doesn't view it as his problem.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Just finished reading it. Stuff in there that I didn't even know from having kept up with this thread.
It goes without saying that a number of folks in the industry would be more candid with the press about their experiences with Vic while not exposing themselves to being targeted by the alt-right hordes that are looking for target to harass. I have no doubt that there are further allegations against Vic that we will never even hear about.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
alternatively
try not to be a jerk in the first place

It really comes across that he's totally aware of how harmful he is, he just doesn't view it as his problem.

Which illustrates what a narcissist this guy is. If he really regretted his actions and was committing to "reconnecting to God" like he claimed, he'd actually come out and condemn the people actively harassing Monica and Jaime in his name.

But since there's no direct benefit to himself, he only cares about paying passive lip service.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if his supporters will accept this, or conclude that he's innocent and maybe Harvey Weinstein was too. Could one man be an abusive, manipulative liar, or will they maintain that dozens upon dozens of corroborating stories are malicious and untrue?

'No, it couldn't be a fire - they all gathered together to invent a smoke machine... because they're jealous... and despise his beliefs, or...'.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if his supporters will accept this, or conclude that he's innocent and maybe Harvey Weinstein was too. Could one man be an abusive, manipulative liar, or will they maintain that dozens upon dozens of corroborating stories are malicious and untrue?

'No, it couldn't be a fire - they all gathered together to invent a smoke machine... because they're jealous... and despise his beliefs, or...'.

No because his fans are still asking for "evidence".

This is hear say to them.

Like they don't understand that literally NOBODY owes them anything NOR does anyone want to throw themselves out in public for all the 4channers and shit youtubers digging into their lives to find random unrelated shit they can use to trash the victims.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, there's a lot to unpack in this article. Those stories just make your skin crawl.

Mignogna initially spoke out on Twitter on February 8 to condemn harassment of people criticizing him. But an email shared with io9 also showed Mignogna, three days later, privately telling a fan how a certain voice actor had "turned to [be] hateful toward me." Mignogna mentioned that person by name.
And of course this shithead is spewing this bullshit to his fans. Saying one thing to the public but telling his fans shit behind closed doors.

I looked through the tag on twitter and they seem to be ignoring its existence for now. Probably be met with the same "WhErEs ThE PrOoF???".

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

They don't care whether the allegations against Vic are true. They just want an excuse to harass his accusers and will invent any narrative that allows them to do so. As far as they're concerned, io9's article is fake news.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
No because his fans are still asking for "evidence".

This is hear say to them.

Like they don't understand that literally NOBODY owes them anything NOR does anyone want to throw themselves out in public for all the 4channers and shit youtubers digging into their lives to find random unrelated shit they can use to trash the victims.
The first few replies to the io9 tweet with the article link were from people regurgitating the same tired arguments against Monica, Sean, and the SWAT thing from yesterday. It's clear many are probably not even going to bother reading it because in their minds every accuser is colluding with themselves to tell lies.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that they'll look at the article in the same way Gamergaters looked at the so-called "death of gamers" article, or Anita Sarkeesian's videos.