• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Framerate Stats
The version tested was 1.62 on PS4 and 3.4 on Switch. The Switch footage here is from docked mode. The Switch version was played from the game card. Blur and Motion Blur were enabled for both versions.

Switch in docked mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being 960x540 and the highest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts in docked mode are often below 1280x720. Switch in portable mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being 832x468 and the highest resolution found being 960x540.

Switch in portable mode seems to turn anti-aliasing on and off dynamically based on load. PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

The Switch can sometimes experience large frame time spikes when travelling through Crookback Bog
About what I expected tbh. Combat is mostly solid, cutscenes are all over the place and towns are a mess.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
That beginning was slightly worrying but it got a lot better. Performed better than I expected but the IQ is about what I expected.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess that's quite what you would expect from a TW3 Switch port. Worse in every regard but still an achievement.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What, no raytracing in the Switch version?? But this port is new!

Sounds like it runs/performs similarly to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which is a game of similar caliber. I'd say get it to anyone who's on the fence.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive they got it running but I don't think I'd prefer to play this version. But cool nonetheless.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
When I look at it on my phone with the app in portrait mode it looks decent. Full screen is just too blurry. Wish they would release a demo so I can check it on the switch screen.

Nov 8, 2017
Seems a lot smoother in on-foot gameplay compared to the cutscenes. Stutters during traversal on the horse are very much something I expected. The worst areas on Switch also seem to be imperfect areas on ps4.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks extremely blurry, but it's amazing it's running at all, and with a not too bad framerate all things considered.

Honestly even the PS4 version is looking kinda hideous to me these days. This game hasn't aged well at all.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Still very impressive that they actually did it and that it still seems very playable, but the Switch version wouldn't be my version of choice.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as others are saying it's amazing they got it running on the system. But yikes. Mostly sub-hd when docked and still regularly hangs around 20-25fps in cutscenes.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see the framerate dip in the same places during gameplay on PS4, too. I don't mind that they decided to leave everything cranked during cutscenes, either, to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Not conclusive, but seems mainly in cutscenes. Shame it looks so blurry, but long as the gameplay isn't dipping as low as some of those cutscenes, should be more than playable.

Still amazing to see this running on something so tiny.

I think the wow factor is higher if you've never used remote play on Vita / Phone.

Obviously the kicker here is full portability without needing internet to stream, and you exchange some of the visual fidelity to achieve that.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I know it's not the reaction the OP wanted but this is one of the best technical achievements of the generation.

It mostly runs very well from the long running videos I've seen.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It was 14 years ago that I was blown away by getting a version of Grand Theft Auto in my hands on PSP, followed up by being able to have my favourite PSone games emulated. Then I was blown away by the full fat experience of Gravity Rush and Final Fantasy X on Vita. This really is another level.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
With the exception of Novigrad and some cutscenes, it really holds the 30 fps target

I think that there's a chance that we are not playing the final code, due to the omission of motion blur and blur in the current version of the game. They are not active, despite offering the option to turn it on and off in the settings.

Cdpr posted a video of them playing the game weeks ago where motion blur was present.

So maybe there's a chance that it's not the final code (for some reason) and framerate will be improved with patches

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really impressive for a piece of hardware that is abou a third of the size of the GPU I used to play it on pc the first time.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The gulf in image quality is massive, holy crap. Expected, but still. Frame rate (outside of cutscenes) isn't as bad as I thought I'd be but I guess that's why.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as others are saying it's amazing they got it running on the system. But yikes. Mostly sub-hd when docked and still regularly hangs around 20-25fps in cutscenes.
This. It's a technical achievement, but it's rough. Looks like it's smeared with vasoline and hits the low 20's a lot.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The defensiveness got started early in this thread.

There is a palpable disdain among some Switch fans for technical analysis like this. It's weird.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a handheld device. It'd be unreasonable to expect much more out of this than what they got.

it does beg the question though: What's the point? Is it worth porting a game like this over to the Switch when there's so many compromises? I'll be very interested to see how sales pan out for this one.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is a base PS4, right? How is performance on Pro nowadays? I still have to play the two addons which I wanted to do soon.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The first 2 replies to the thread are embarrassing. Why enter a thread about performance if it's going to hurt your feelings.

I think the cut backs and performance are about on par with what most people expected.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's about what I expected. Blurry. Somewhat inconsistent frame rate. Still, if this gets more people to experience TW3, that's great! The story and characters are the meat of this game anyway.

Meta talk: with all these Switch ports, I've come to realize that I don't care that much about visual bells and whistles as long as the game presents a clean image (i.e. minimal aliasing) and can manage a solid frame rate with consistent frame pacing. I thought I'd end up getting more of these third party games on the system, but outside of last-gen ports it's been rather slim pickings. I got Rocket League and that wasn't too bad, but I just couldn't get myself to play (more of) Snake Pass because of the blurry sub-native visuals. It was actually giving me a headache. I must've also become more picky with age, because I don't recall spending as much time with any other system looking up performance information prior to settling on a purchase.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the wow factor is higher if you've never used remote play on Vita / Phone.

I've used remote play before. The visual fidelity + the pixel density make it nice, but one knows it's running a video streaming from the original device. I'm more-so impressed by the fact that the tiny chip is rendering this game at a playable framerate at all. Especially considering the PS4 outputs nearly 13-14 times the wattage of the new Switch.

Makes me rather excited for how ports will look on the next generation of the Switch, assuming the same form factor.

Nov 14, 2017
You are right the PS4 version does look like shit compared to the real version on PC.
Yeah... cool. No it doesn't, it actually looks good.

And before I get the totally surprising peasant comment, I played on base PS4, XB1X and PC (1080p, Very High, 60fps). All look good enough.
Switch version looks like shit but it's portable so it's still impressive. But saying otherwise is fanboy territory.