• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

PS4 Pro renders at a resolution of 2880x1620 and downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled.

Xbox One normally renders at a resolution of approximately 1920x1080, but at some points during cutscenes it seems to render at lower resolutions such as 1728x972 and 1632x918.

Xbox One X renders at a resolution of 3840x2160.

PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X seem to be using a form of Checkerboard Rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

19ujqp.png

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So weird that they've done this with the X version. At the very least they need to patch in a performance mode option that better keeps 60 fps.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Pro is mostly locked at 60 during gameplay and close to that in cutscenes, base PS4 performs equivalent to Xbox One X at around 50 fps most of the time, sometimes reaching 60 in stretches, and Xbox One trails behind at around 40-50 pretty much constantly.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I see XB1X frame rate is still borked.

No reason to rush to get it. Will wait to see for improvements or a major sale I guess.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Base Xbox one is terrible and needs a 30 fps cap option. Also it's strange that Xbox one x never gets to 60 fps at any point.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wasn't this the same with RE2? That the performance was better on PS4 Pro because the XB1X was 4K?
No. RE2 on the X ran better than the PS4 Pro framerate wise. Both seemed to run at similar resolutions, although there was more evidence of reconstruction on PS4 Pro.

I think there was a later REengine title that targeted 4K to the detriment of performance on the X, but RE2 didn't do that.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Are they counting on ppl waiting 6 months to play the xbox version on xsx or something lol.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Yeah, a bit strange. I'm pretty sure both DMC5 and RE2 on the X had better framerates and resolution advantage over the Pro. I don't think either of those are true 4K on the X though...

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
XOX downsamples automatically, so no difference when it comes to performance.
The game will still render at the same resolution as it would on a 4K tv, just downsample it to 1080p.
Thanks
Edit: I thought downsampling was something that just changes the textures, so performance would be less affected.

Capcom really should give an option for Full HD.
As I said before, something about these games with unlocked framerate tells me that they did it with the retro on XSX in mind.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I mean native 4k and 60fps is a hard thing to do.

Yeah, for sure. That's why I pointed out that neither DMC5 nor RE2 were running at native 4K on the X. I have RE2 on the X and would like to have that and RE3 for the same system, so it kind of sucks that the performance of RE3 is not ideal on the X (for me). First world problems lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guess I'll try to seek a refund on my Xbox One X digital preorder. Not likely it'll happen. :/

I'll admit this is the deepest disappointment I've personally faced from a gaming purchase in a good long time. Such a bummer.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll try to seek a refund on my Xbox One X digital preorder. Not likely it'll happen. :/
Microsoft has been pretty good to me with regards for refunds, for what it's worth. Especially pre-order refunds (I refunded a Gears 4 digital preorder).
They even refunded me for Rise of the Tomb Raider (when it was exclusive I think, before it came to steam) after I had downloaded it and played it a bit (less than an hour, maybe even half-an-hour though).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading that pic of the results correctly that the 1X version literally [never] runs at 60fps? I'm saying that based on the "Maximum Frame Rate" result being 59 fps. That sounds odd just from a data perspective. (This sounds like they didn't do much in the way of profiling/adjustment for the launch version, and that's a disappointment.)

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Am I reading that pic of the results correctly that the 1X version literally [never] runs at 60fps? I'm saying that based on the "Maximum Frame Rate" result being 59 fps. That sounds odd just from a data perspective. (This sounds like they didn't do much in the way of profiling/adjustment for the launch version, and that's a disappointment.)

Yes, in the samples VGTech tested, the max frame rate XBX reaches is 59 FPS. The base PS4 has a higher average FPS than XBX going by their metrics.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the video more closely, I'd consider this sloppy on every platform aside from PS4 Pro. Having even the most powerful platform running this badly shows something must have happened behind-the-scenes.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch at the OG xbox one. 38 fps, why even bother running it at unlocked framerate at this point.

I gotta wonder if thats whats going to happen to PS5 games in 6 years. third party devs dont seem to give a shit about the weakest console.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wow. The further in the gen, the more X1X gets outperformed by Pro. Stop prioritizing resolution devs! Everything from 1440p and up is fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I was gonna get this on Pro anyway over my X but I think I will just wait until next gen at this point, have a ton of other stuff coming up that would put it on the backseat anyway.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, I'll pass this until One X version gets patched. No patch, no buy.

Disgraceful results

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's native though. DF think that all versions except the PS4 use some form of checkerboard rendering. That's probably why the OP only mentions the word native with the PS4 version.

Actually you are right, I should probably add that part in from the video description.

PS4 is the only one which renders native. All other versions are using reconstruction techniques.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2977-front.jpg

Can't blame Capcom for focusing on what's on the chip
Oh come on, devs can do whatever they want to. In this case they favored resolution and it seems their engine, as great results as it can produce, is not able to do proper dynamic resolution scaling which is a big disadvantage compared to other engines and thus not really future proof.
In any case, the performance on X is completely on Capcom and it's bad.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
wonder if Capcom is baking in 4k now so when users play on series X w/o a patch the game will easily hit 4k locked 60. still not a fan, they should just include 2 modes. one w/ native 4k and one w/ dynamic res keeping 60.

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch at the OG xbox one. 38 fps, why even bother running it at unlocked framerate at this point.

I gotta wonder if thats whats going to happen to PS5 games in 6 years. third party devs dont seem to give a shit about the weakest console.

Doubt the likely best selling console will be neglected at all. Your concern for 2025 games is noted though.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More like devs don't care about the platform where they will sell lowest. I don't see that changing next gen, and that's why we will end up both xbox and playstation being even closer than the specs.