• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
The difference in framerate is a lot smaller comparatively than the resolution, so the X is offering the best visual/performance ratio even if not as big as with other games... Whats's wrong with people wanting that?

Exactly. It's a super small performance edge, and I doubt it will last after patches. Pro and X will likely get even closer as time goes on, but you can bet resolution won't improve on Pro at all.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can I get a Street Fighter 6 with this engine or what.
I would really love to see something like that in action.
I'm not too sure about that for a few reasons, to be honest. To quote what I've said in the past...
  • The RE Engine seems to excel with scanning in real-life models for the characters. That likely won't be easy to do with a ton of characters (especially when you factor in DLC).
  • As of now, only Division 1 has been using the RE Engine. While that could change in the near future, the guys at Division 2 seem currently content with Unreal Engine 4 & MT Framework.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Maybe people find performance more important than resolution? I don't even think you will even notice much difference in resolution with this fast action game. Do people only need to purchase the X version because of the "hallelujah true 4K" stuff? I don't know if i going to purchase this game but i will go also go Pro because i did the same with RE2: Remake.
If you value performance as a priority why did you go for the Pro version of RE2 Remake?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Average frame-rate doesn't tell the whole picture. Pro is substantially smoother in gameplay if we look at percentile frame-rate stats.

A difference of 5 fps in both 5th Percentile Frame Rate (46 / 51) and 1st Percentile Frame Rate (44 / 49) should be noticeable during gameplay (respectively XBX / Pro). Also minimum framerate tells the same thing: XBX drops 5 fps lower than Pro.

It means that when the game drops, it drops much lower on XBX.
I'm only ever going to play this game on PC, but once a game drops under 60 you generally lose the ability to discern a 5 frame gap. You just know you're not at a locked 60 anymore.

With Gsync/Freesync you can't even tell you're dropping frames until you hit the 40s. That's why variable refresh rate is a must have feature for next gen consoles, IMO.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Got the pro version, I don't like how the shoulder buttons feel in action games on the xbox. Got RE2 one the one x because that wasn't an issue for that game.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
People bitching about the Pro versus X difference in resolution when it's using both FXAA and TAS on X and thus having a blurry image, haven't actually had the chance to ply them both side by side.

The issue with the RE engine is that it ovwrsharpwns your image, and as such some things sre VERY overblown. Imagine a black wire on a bright blue sky. Now imagine one screen has AA, and you see no hard edges, and one screen has a sharpening filter, and looks utterly terrible.

Now apply that to alpha tested surfaces (hair, foliage) and anything where brightness contrasts dark (specular highlights etc).

So, yes the X produces a slightly more blurry image, but the pro is so visually noisy that it's actually really difficult on the eyes to play. Imagine a 4k video running at 1080p, with no downsampling at all applied. That's the sort of visua noise you're dealing with.

So while pro users keep going on about their sharper image, it's avtually ruined, because in motion it's utterly dreadful.
Looks great to me, sorry that it's "utterly dreadful" to you. I'm usually pretty sensitive to post FX filters like chromatic aberration and sharpening but I can't see anything wrong on my TV.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
We need stats on what percentage of time each platform maintains 60fps because that's the biggest differentiator. If it's dropping from 60fps then it's bad regardless, there's really not much difference between drops to 50 compared to 45.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
People bitching about the Pro versus X difference in resolution when it's using both FXAA and TAS on X and thus having a blurry image, haven't actually had the chance to ply them both side by side.

The issue with the RE engine is that it ovwrsharpwns your image, and as such some things sre VERY overblown. Imagine a black wire on a bright blue sky. Now imagine one screen has AA, and you see no hard edges, and one screen has a sharpening filter, and looks utterly terrible.

Now apply that to alpha tested surfaces (hair, foliage) and anything where brightness contrasts dark (specular highlights etc).

So, yes the X produces a slightly more blurry image, but the pro is so visually noisy that it's actually really difficult on the eyes to play. Imagine a 4k video running at 1080p, with no downsampling at all applied. That's the sort of visua noise you're dealing with.

So while pro users keep going on about their sharper image, it's avtually ruined, because in motion it's utterly dreadful.

You sound like you have your sharpening on your TV at 100. I haven't experienced any of that noise.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you value performance as a priority why did you go for the Pro version of RE2 Remake?

To be clear, i only use my X for gamepass and nothing else. Resident Evil for me personally belongs to be played on PlayStation. Looking back at the fps comparison on DF. Both versions are almost 99% of the time locked 60fps in gameplay, where DMC has more drops in gameplay on all versions. Both are 2 tottaly different games.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
You sound like you have your sharpening on your TV at 100. I haven't experienced any of that noise.

I have both my gaming monitor and OLED calibrated professionally, but thanks. The game uses a sharpening filter, so when no AA is deployed, it's overly obvious. Same when you only use a lower quality AA, it has less of an effect on removing it. Higher FXAA+TAA removes it, but still keeps the close and mid range detail sharp, while eliminating pixel crawl, over sharp and keeping detail.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I have both my gaming monitor and OLED calibrated professionally, but thanks. The game uses a sharpening filter when no AA is deployed, so when you only use a lower quality AA, it has less of an effect on removing it.

Karak noted something off with the Pro IQ too. Maybe it's noticeable to some and not others. Definitely a strange one.....

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I have both my gaming monitor and OLED calibrated professionally, but thanks. The game uses a sharpening filter when no AA is deployed, so when you only use a lower quality AA, it has less of an effect on removing it.

Calibrated professionally well damn excuse me. It must be amazing then.
Must be why the game looks utterly terrible to you because the PS4 Pro version is beneath your professional TV calibrations.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Calibrated professionally well damn excuse me. It must be amazing then.
Must be why the game looks utterly terrible to you because the PS4 Pro version is beneath your professional TV calibrations.

Ok mate. Ok. It's not like I work with gaming tech every day, I mean, it's not like I know what I'm looking for. As for my tv calibration, I didn't spend over £3k on a tv just to have it set up by some settings on google. It cost barely anything to do, and it means the whole thing is set up correctly. Why wouldn't I, when development is my bread and butter?

Here I am, giving actual reasons to why the engine works in a certain way, but all you're doing is throwing out shade in the style of an 11 year old kid. Come on man. It's nothing personal. But seeing as I write glsl shaders/fragment/vertex programs in my sleep, you would think I would notice something as blatant as chromatic abberation coupled with over sharpen filter mixed in with a heavy use of vignette.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok mate. Ok. It's not like I work with gaming tech every day, I mean, it's not like I know what I'm looking for. As for my tv calibration, I didn't spend over £3k on a tv just to have it set up by some settings on google. It cost barely anything to do, and it means the whole thing is set up correctly. Why wouldn't I, when development is my bread and butter?

Here I am, giving actual reasons to why the engine works in a certain way, but all you're doing is throwing out shade in the style of an 11 year old kid. Come on man. It's nothing personal. But seeing as I write glsl shaders/fragment/vertex programs in my sleep, you would think I would notice something as blatant as chromatic abberation coupled with over sharpen filter mixed in with a heavy use of vignette.

dude .. we get it .. you develop games.

Still doesn't change the fact that your earlier comments about RE games being "difficult to the eyes" and "utterly destroyed" on PS4 Pro are entirely hyperbolic.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
dude .. we get it .. you develop games.

Still doesn't change the fact that your earlier comments about RE games being "difficult to the eyes" and "utterly destroyed" on PS4 Pro are entirely hyperbolic.

Ok, let me rephrase.

As an artist, I want my work to be presented in as perfect a way as possible. Imagine something you make being messed with, you know? You make your wife a nice meal and she covers it in ketchup. It would piss you off, right?

So here you have art that's created to a set pipeline and that pipeline is that it uses an sharpen post process effect. This is common, a lot of game shave done this. But it destroys image quality. However that's not the way the game is supposed to be displayed. It's supoosed to be displayed AA on, AA which softens the pixel crawl and edge enhancement while retaining the original detail in the image at close and medium distances. Sadly a byproduct of this is that you lose some higher frequency detail, and that is most noticeable at long distance. That's why you have alpha foliage planes losing detail, or texture being harder to read.

Now, the Pro uses FXAA only(opposes to the X which uses FXAA+TAA, or just TAA, I can't tell for sure), however it uses such a low sample amount it's basicaly the same image as using none.

Now then, the issue stems from the original problem. You have an over sharpen filter. So, anything with high frequency detail now turns to noise when displayed at a native high resolution. So hair, the detail on Leon's clothing, specular highlights, anything sharp and small such as alpha masked lines (fences for example) just turn to noise. Add in that, to their overly aggressive chromatic aberration implementation, and you have a recipie for poor visuals.

Now most people play on a 1080p display. They won't see this. Most people play on a smaller set, 40" and below. They won't see this.

As I said, I'm not in this for console wars. I think that side of things is pathetic. It's a joke. People need to grow up. But I AM in this for technical discussion and analysis. And as such I usually side with X because it will have either the best overall result, OR, it will have a subpar result compared to the Pro; and that an equally interesting discussion to have.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

All you seem to be doing is patting yourself on the back with your never ending list of development accomplishments. Other than that you're simply throwing out hyperbolic statements and highly subjective opinions disguised poorly as facts.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

So you're saying because you work with gaming tech everyday there's no way you can be wrong? Yeah I guess Rockstar and CDPR weren't wrong with their HDR implementations cos they work with gaming tech everyday.
You don't have to work in gaming to notice things like sharpening filters and chromatic abberation, we notice these things here in games on the regular. You're not special mate at all.

chandoog you get me.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Actually when it comes to the hdr implementation of RDR2 and W3, one was released earlier than any HDR standard coming out, and this hdr authoring wasn't even a thing. It was early days. As for RDR2, I have no idea why t was the way it was, but when setup correctly, the HDR wasn't as bad as most people said it was, it was just different. I do feel however that the way they handled HDR in RDR2, more so the complete lack of communication on the problem, was awful.

I'm not saying I'm special. I am however saying that when you view these things with a technical eye, rather than a gamer with a 30" 1080p tv in his bedroom, you appreciate details on a different way.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

That's absolutely false. IQ on the X is far from ideal and Pro version at least is not that soft. About the artifacts on the pro, CBR is not too far off to dithering artifact or similar but suddenly such issue has became fucking noisy ando dreadful because people physiologically knows is less pixels natively. But lets take RDR2 on the X: has far more dithering artifacts and low buffer effects caused to higher res but no one here would say the IQ it's better on Pro because seems it's cleaner. Seems more a mind attitude to me.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
The pro version of RDR2 from what I recall still uses a wonky resolution and as such renders rectangular pixels for upscaling. It can't have a better dithering effect than the X, simply because dithering is 1,0,1,0 by very definition and is basedly solely on resolution. The higher the resolution, the better the dithering.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Actually when it comes to the hdr implementation of RDR2 and W3, one was released earlier than any HDR standard coming out, and this hdr authoring wasn't even a thing. It was early days. As for RDR2, I have no idea why t was the way it was, but when setup correctly, the HDR wasn't as bad as most people said it was, it was just different. I do feel however that the way they handled HDR in RDR2, more so the complete lack of communication on the problem, was awful.

I'm not saying I'm special. I am however saying that when you view these things with a technical eye, rather than a gamer with a 30" 1080p tv in his bedroom, you appreciate details on a different way.

Are you referring to the Witcher 3 as the one that released earlier? I still don't agree with this because, games like The Last of Us and Wipeout Omega look great in HDR, Witcher got HDR after those games came out. Nier on Xbox One X is another game that has fake HDR and I dunno what's going on with Monstee Hunter.

Red Dead is an odd one, it's pretty much SDR as EvilBoris pretty much confirmed it.

I get what you mean. Like a sound designer hearing things a different way when he knows how they did the sound, like in Killzone they used a stapler to get the reload sound. Once you know how it's done it can affect your enjoyment. I can understand that, I just feel you were a bit hyperbolic in your original post.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Take RDR2 on the X: has far more dithering artifact and low buffer effects cause higher res but no one here has the courage to say the IQ it's better on the Pro because is cleaner

Well now's your chance dude, be courageous and tell us that the Pro version of RDR2 has better IQ than the X because I could seriously do with the chuckles

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Maybe I was, and can admit to that. Maybe it was too strong a way of saying it. But to my eye, it totally destroys the visual side of things, like when you actually DO have your sharpness set to 100 lol.

Haha yeah sharpening halo rings around everything is a definite eyesore. It's worse when games/movies do it intentionally. The Dark Knight was guilty of this.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Now, the Pro uses FXAA only(opposes to the X which uses FXAA+TAA, or just TAA, I can't tell for sure), however it uses such a low sample amount it's basicaly the same image as using none..

Your entire post is too long to quote but just to correct this.

For the RE engine games, I believe Pro uses just TAA. XBX uses TAA + FXAA.

Pro does not use FXAA.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Movies I'm actually easier to please with. Except for Dolby vision on Star Trek Netflix. That can go eat a bag of dicks. I swear the noise on that is actual Lego pieces, it's so bad.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The pro version of RDR2 from what I recall still uses a wonky resolution and as such renders rectangular pixels for upscaling. It can't have a better dithering effect than the X, simply because dithering is 1,0,1,0 by very definition and is basedly solely on resolution. The higher the resolution, the better the dithering.
I absure you dithering is far more visible on the X than the Pro. And the blurriness of low buffer is more visible on the X. Now back to RE engine though you are a developer you even misunderstood FXAA to TAA because the X versions has just FXAA added to the final IQ compared the Pro. TAA is the same on both. But chats aside, I'm not sure how it's remotely preferable a blurred IQ at higher res to a sharper IQ because there are some noisy artifacts. Lot of graphic effects on console have similar problematic.

Last edited:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I absure you dithering is far more visible on the X than the Pro. And the blurriness of low buffer is more visible on the X. Now back to RE engune though you are a developer you even misunderstood FXAA to TAA because the X versions has just FXAA added to the final IQ compared the Pro. TAA is the same on both.
The dithering is easier to see maybe because the pro version of RDR2 is blurred?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wow one mistake while detailing several others, where I got acronyms the wrong way around. I'll just get my coat, eh? See you all at the job centre folks.

giphy.gif

you're just being unreasonable now ..

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow one mistake while detailing several others, where I got acronyms the wrong way around. I'll just get my coat, eh? See you all at the job centre folks.
You call the RE engine a dreadful show on Pro just for some artifacts and the X IQ preferable which is even more blurried at higher res. Like the fuck. Never seen a game more blurried on the X until RE engine and now find it preferable...
And no offense but a developer who doesn't knows the difference between FXAA / TAA and claim what is it preferable for the IQ, it's a bit strange.

Last edited:

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
RE2 on pro>X

Own it on both, compared it on both, I'll take a little shimmering over the blur X has. If its the same with this game I'll get it on Pro.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Developers need to figure their shit out with some games, there's no reason things should run worse on X1X. At all.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really wish they had just locked the cutscenes down to 30, going to drive me nuts. Also X performing worse while only pushing 30% more pixels is odd, maybe the reconstruction is different between Pro and X?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Movies I'm actually easier to please with. Except for Dolby vision on Star Trek Netflix. That can go eat a bag of dicks. I swear the noise on that is actual Lego pieces, it's so bad.

That's weird I assumed Dolby were authoring the Dolby Vision content themselves like IMAX do. Haven't really looked into it, but DV is supposed to be reference material.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think it's great that 3 of the 4 versions is in a good enough state where performance isn't too much of a problem. The OG Xbox One just needs to be taken behind the shed and shot.

Obviously you barely care to understand the true point of the conversation just for the sake of the console war.

It is kind of amusing that you'll jump on other people or throw a fit for people preferring the Xbox version, while throwing out equally hyperbolic comments, but say others are participating in console wars.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously you barely care to understand the true point of the conversation just for the sake of the console war.

I get the point, you don't like the blurriness of the RE2 X image and therefore can't agree that it is technically superior to the Pro version, this is because the Pro version of RDR2 was blurry and we all know that version was inferior to the X. It's a great argument.