• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Cutscene FPS is awful on all consoles it looks like. Definitely going PC version for that 90+frame goodness

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
PS4 for me, not sure how well this would run under linux on my pc.
I wish they would have lowered resolution to get a locked 60 at all times though.

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
I would still caution against stating so definitively (VGT says "seems", you are the one making a definitive statement about it). All Frosbite games were assumed to be using CB rendering until the developers stated otherwise and of course, we then find out that the CB artifact is as a result of their motion blur.

Well, to their defense, even if i agree with you at the end, devs stated anthem was native 4k on X, when finaly it is dynamic 4k.

Yep, we are, I saw one instance of that and it lasted less than a second.

Personally the increase in FR seems so marginal compared to a 30% increase in resolution. But thats my personal preference, everybody is different (see above).

Even if i totally respect your opinion, for me framerate is king, as i think pushing resolution over framerate is a dumb move ( or at least provide dynamic resolution over horizontal axis ).
During the boss fight, you can often see more than 5 fps difference between those 2. And even 2fps difference can be what separates smooth framerate and tearing/stuttering.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it last for about 2-3 sec ( from 5:35 to 5:38 )

Resolution difference is also marginal at 5-6 feet away. Yet you can feel the differences in frame-rate.
I play like, less than 2 feet away, so think the X would probably be a better bet for me.

RE engine looks softer on X despite higher resolution. Happened with RE 7 and REmake 2. The demos for Devil May Cry 5 also seemed to show this.
Thats so odd. I was under the impression RE2 looked incredible on the X.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Well, to their defense, even if i agree with you at the end, devs stated anthem was native 4k on X, when finaly it is dynamic 4k.

If you note, I said nothing about the resolution only about the mode or type of rendering. The dev stated native rendering while it was assumed to be CB and its not.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think RE Engine is the best Japanese Engine this generation. It keeps well balance between high resolution and high framerates.(Also visual performance is absolutely stunning.)
The only problems with the RE Engine are its lack of Switch support, the fact that only Division 1 is using it, & the current reliance on scanning in models. I can forgive the first point since it'll make the RE Engine a viable option for next-gen consoles, but I hope the latter two are rectified in the near future.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thats so odd. I was under the impression RE2 looked incredible on the X.

It does look incredible. It's just that the X version uses FXAA + TAA versus just TAA on Pro. The AA coverage is superior with less shimmering, but it ends up causing the image to look a bit more blurrier than Pro even though it's running more pixels.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
TL;Dr

XBX: 2160p
PS4 Pro: 1800p
both seem to be using checker board rendering.

OG PS4: 1080p
XBO: 1080p
XBO seems to be using checker board rendering.

Pro has higher average frame rate in both game play and cut-scenes between Pro and X.
OG PS4 has higher average frame rate in both game play and cut-scenes between the base consoles.

Unless I'm missing something, the figures don't make sense. 1800p is 69% of 4K, so a difference of 31% but there's a ~40% gap in performance. I know making comparisons isn't this straightforward but you'd think there should be less of a performance difference considering the hardware.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
They're both sub 50 with a 2-3 FPS difference
I saw bigger differences. Like 7 fps. Are we looking the same video?
It's not exactly like for like obviously, but I saw up to 10 fps difference during the last part of the video. Average frame rate gap seems more than 2-3fps to me... more like 4-5fps during that last part. Pretty considerable difference IMO, especially for an action game like DMC. But 2160CBR vs 1800CBR is also considerable, so it basically comes down to IQ vs performance.
IIRC, if the final game is like the demo, I believe the XB1X version had extra AA over the PS4 Pro version that softened the image slightly, but gave a more stable image. Or was that RE2?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It seems devs are truly getting a hang of the X hardware. Devs have been pushing 4K a lot more in their games.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Glad I chose the X, the difference in peformance seems to be miniscule while the resolution boost is significant enough. Game looks sharp as hell.

Can't wait for in-depth DF video on graphics.

Jan 17, 2019
It's not exactly like for like obviously, but I saw up to 10 fps difference during the last part of the video. Average frame rate gap seems more than 2-3fps to me... more like 4-5fps during that last part. Pretty considerable difference IMO, especially for an action game like DMC. But 2160CBR vs 1800CBR is also considerable, so it basically comes down to IQ vs performance.

IIRC, if the final game is like the demo, I believe the XB1X version had extra AA over the PS4 Pro version that softened the image slightly, but gave a more stable image. Or was that RE2?

Depends on TV size and sitting distance, but you won't notice that difference in resolution when you sitting 5-6 feet ( around 1.6 m ) away in front of 50+ inch TV. Anyway, you'll notice frame drops regardless of sitting distance.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish Capcom locked cutscenes to 30 fps and upped the visuals /res

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yep, we are, I saw one instance of that and it lasted less than a second.

Personally the increase in FR seems so marginal compared to a 30% increase in resolution. But thats my personal preference, everybody is different (see above).
Tastes are tastes but dips 45 fps very frequently to be brutally honest vs a less often 48-50fps on the pro in the final part of video, it's not a good sign for the more demanding scenes. Call such difference marginal for a 30% of more pixels with a less sharper IQ .... what's exactly the point to have such res boost if performance and even sharpness is worst compared the pro?

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The presentation of a "5th percentile framerate" is interesting. It's probably more accessible than e.g. 95th percentile frametime but still gives roughly the same information (which is a lot more useful than just average framerates).

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went with the PS4 Pro for this one despite owning both the Pro and an X1X. Frame rate is king in DMCV + strongly prefer the Dualshock controller. Will probably pick up the PC version too at some point but I at least wanted the HDR OLED goodness too.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I chose the X, the difference in peformance seems to be miniscule while the resolution boost is significant enough. Game looks sharp as hell.

Xbox controller for dante though....I own an X, but still choose base ps4 over it.
(Double dipping on PC anyway)

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I don't get it why people continue to repeat it. Game is even less sharp on the X. Who gives a fuck of 30% of more pixels if it's not visible in clarity? Just for pure math? And dips at 45fps it's a minuscule difference now? I could understand to prefer to play on the X for personal tastes but no need to downplay some problematics.

Last edited:

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Hilarious people saying they're going Pro considering the how minimal the differences are in performance.