• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Note that this footage is from the 6v6 Control game mode. Performance in Control seems to be slightly worse than the 3v3 game modes. Both PS5 and Xbox Series X in the 120fps mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x1440. Pixel counts at or near 2560x1440 seem to be common on both consoles.

Performance can vary somewhat and the scenes here aren't exactly like-for-like which should be kept in mind when comparing the performance of the consoles here.

The 120fps mode on both consoles has some graphical downgrades compared to the 60fps mode such as: reduced draw distance, removed motion blur, removed depth of field, shorter LOD transition distance and removed ambient occlusion http://bit.ly/3mT4XJz The game may need to be restarted for these differences to take effect.

11pk3p.png

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why's there so many torn frames in ass creed / dirt but literally zero in the last couple of comparisons I've seen? Are those first examples in a minority or are torn frames likely this gen?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This just shows that other devs need to be more aggressive in their resolution scaling. Are they not even having to use VRR on Series X to prevent tearing? 90-120 fps with wide FOV sounds heavenly.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Why's there so many torn frames in ass creed / dirt but literally zero in the last couple of comparisons I've seen? Are those first examples in a minority or are torn frames likely this gen?

Likely minority cause of various reasons like putting game out on 8~9 platforms at once and development during Covid.

Games like Destiny are already extremely well performing last-gen games, naturally the next-gen enhancement should flow similar. That's what I think at least.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Both AC and dirt have improved since launch too.

On Series torn frames are much less commonplace now.

Anyway, Destiny 2 is reference level performance on both consoles at all frame rate modes. A great showcase of what they can do, no matter which console you choose.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love "boring" results like this. It seems like they were willing to pull back a lot to get this as stable as they have, and it's a cool result.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought Destiny 2 would be one of the games I would be the most impressed with on next gen consoles. The update was fantastic

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I remember the Ps360 days when we had games using brown/gray/orange filters and running at 20 fps at their best, so it's extremely pleasant to see games pushing beyond 30fps and delivering

Bungie always did pretty well for optimization even back in Destiny 1 with XBO and PS4.

Parity all over again, 7 years later /s

Yeah but Xbox's minimum FPS was 88 while PS5's was 87, so HA!!! /s
What about those 9 vs 4 frames at 25ms?
Damn Cerny
Overclock the clock!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised both consoles couldn't hit native 4k on that game but I'm happy the devs went for the performance instead.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie going from 30fps on console for like, ever...then jumping straight to 120? Ha, aight dudes.
I love how they pretended they didn't boost the framerate on the midgen consoles to "keep it fair" (instead of getting bad PR for saying the CPUs couldn't handle it) and now they're just like "fuck it 120fps with a wider FoV against 30fps players"

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm always surprised by these comparisons. I always expect xbox to come out ahead, but ps5 is just barely behind (if at all)

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Kinda funny how the framerates are identical. Are there soft limits in place, so that hardware differences don't matter?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they pretended they didn't boost the framerate on the midgen consoles to "keep it fair" (instead of getting bad PR for saying the CPUs couldn't handle it) and now they're just like "fuck it 120fps with a wider FoV against 30fps players"
I think I'd still lose against PS4 players in Trials of Osiris but that would still be very cool to see.