• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Call of Duty Warzone frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe The version tested was 1.17 on PS4 Pro and 1.0.17.10237 on Xbox One X. Default motion blur and film grain values were used for both consoles.

Timestamps: 00:00 - PS4 Pro 05:12 - Xbox One X

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1388x1528 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 2716x1528. On PS4 Pro a form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the resolution above the natively rendered resolution. The maximum resolution that can be reached with this temporal reconstruction technique on PS4 Pro seems to be 2716x1528.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1920x2160 and the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160. On Xbox One X a form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the resolution above the natively rendered resolution up to 3840x2160.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
X's framerate is worse than Pro's. Was not expecting that. And both of them start dropping frames like crazy at the worst possible time - combat.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Another game where Xbox One X prioritized resolution over framerate.

Great results overall, though. Warzone is generally a smooth experience.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Pro version have some kind of v-sync on? all it's frames are exactly 16.66 or 33.33, whereas the X is spread out over all the different ranges? Genuine Q!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For those who have played both, is it a better/smoother experience than Apex Legends in your experience, on consoles ?

Seems very similar to me.

I've even had a warzone match where the VM was clearly having issues and everyone was blinking around, moving in slow motion, just like the early days of Apex.

Warzone has got a bigger map, and the geometry seems a little more complicated. It's amazing that the shooting still feels like MW with all of that going on.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
For those who have played both, is it a better/smoother experience than Apex Legends in your experience, on consoles ?
Apex is certainly smoother on 1X. In combat with multiple teams though, I want to say that Modern Warfare feels smoother but I haven't played much so can't really say for certain.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Pro version have some kind of v-sync on? all it's frames are exactly 16.66 or 33.33, whereas the X is spread out over all the different ranges? Genuine Q!

You're right. X uses an adaptive v-sync while Pro is fully V-synced, going by the base Modern Warfare tech analysis.

Xbox One X also seems to be the only platform using an adaptive sync, meaning that some degree of flexibility is added to the render budget. A 60fps game has a 16.7ms per-frame render budget, synchronised to the refresh of the screen. However, on the X, the game is given leeway to extend that budget within a certain window. 'Late' frames therefore arrive as the screen is updating, causing the tear effect. It's not overly intrusive as it's limited to the top portion of the screen. Performance overall is typically 50-60fps but the hardest stress areas can drop to the mid 40s. It's a surprising turnout when the less capable Pro is delivering a more consistent experience - and with no tearing.

www.eurogamer.net

From Xbox One to RTX 2080 Ti: how Modern Warfare's stunning tech scales across all systems

Five years in development, the new Infinity Ward engine is finally in the hands of Call of Duty players in the rebooted…

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't modern warfare a lot better when playing in 120hz mode on the One X? Why not try that?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Console Wars, history of prior behavior
i feel like these only get posted when it's bad for one x. somehow i knew before i clicked...

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Base PS4/XBO comparison is up:

Call of Duty Warzone frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS4 and Xbox One. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe The version tested was 1.17 on PS4 and 1.0.17.10237 on Xbox One.

Default motion blur and film grain values were used for all consoles. Timestamps: 00:00 - PS4 05:12 - Xbox One

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 960x1080 and the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080 when rendering below that resolution.

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 800x900 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 1600x900. Xbox One uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1600x900 when rendering below that resolution.

Stats: http://bit.ly/38z0ODn
Frames Pixel Counted: http://bit.ly/2TMEdxP

1qmj0j.png

Kymos

Nov 15, 2017
They should comment about playing on an Xbox one X with VRR on, i haven't noticed any tearing using it.