• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm trying to understand how the X has the torn frames given their CPUs are the same and the X has the better GPU setup

Is this just an optimisation thing with the Pro being the lead dev platform?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I dunno, does it even have dynamic resolution support to keep fps capped at 60? All I know is that it seems to run pitifully on my gtx 1060.
Having no trouble running it on my laptop 1060 connected to an ultrawide, with AA off and all the settings at normal with 100% scaling, I'm getting between 65-80fps...

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
The Pro footage looked so blurry I thought the video was still buffering. X looks so much better. Wow.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I am playing on Xbox X on a 4k monitor. Would setting the resolution to 1440P instead of 4k possibly result in a better framerate or would the X still target 4k and downsample to 1440P?

Thoughts?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why do the base consoles not get compared in these things anymore? You know, the units that 90-95% of gamers have in their homes?

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
for all those mentioning screen tearing on X, the devs have already stated it is a known issue in the beta and they should be resolving it for launch. Whether they do or not is another matter though.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Despite running on 1X, I am not that impressed overall. Graphically it's nothing special but I suspect 1X enhancements are missing/heavily reduced. Performance wise, it seems OK. Ups and downs when things get crazy but I am sure some patches will sort those minor issue out.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game did not look great on the X to me when I played it - looked a bit "blurry" or muddy.

Oct 25, 2017
Despite running on 1X, I am not that impressed overall. Graphically it's nothing special but I suspect 1X enhancements are missing/heavily reduced. Performance wise, it seems OK. Ups and downs when things get crazy but I am sure some patches will sort those minor issue out.
It doesn't look great on PC either. Don't get your hopes up.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why do the base consoles not get compared in these things anymore? You know, the units that 90-95% of gamers have in their homes?
Probably a matter of resources for those making the videos. Comparing two consoles can be time consuming, let alone four.

I'd also imagine that the majority of people interested in these sort of videos are more likely to have the enhanced consoles.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What bothers me is not the resolution or the performance but the consistant shadow flickering and pixelated edges from the last COD games till this new engine (which looks as good as BF now) but still even on mid-gen consoles with GPUs 2.3 and 4.6 Times more powerful than their base versions yet shadows are still very low res!!!! In what age are we? Even during the PS2 era we had games with better shadows.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It would be sad if the XBX didn't come out on top. But I'm gonna play were my friends play...PS4.

Wouldn't the cross play help with that though? I don't know if there are any big limitations to cross-play but I was under the impression it uses you Activision account and allows you to play with any PC or Console player.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Thats...not what I gathered by looking at the data in the op?

they probably meant comparable fps difference vs pretty big resolution gap.

Either way, there's room for improvement on both consoles, that being said, I was content with how it was running for me.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the image quality differences in that vid at least. Makes the texture work look worse as a result also, I haven't kept up with this years COD news but I thought this was going to be a looker this time around, new engine and stuff right?

Looks like both versions need some work, you can't be releasing a Vaseline version on the premier COD console.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It takes quite a bit of time to line up shots and run numbers and make sure it is right, then produce a video, publish it.. .etc. Base consoles = 2x the work.
The IQ in the beta is awful even on PC.
I think the IQ in terms Anti-Aliasing is actually pretty amazing - if you do not like its softness, just use fidelity FX or Freestyle to your liking. Bam, it can be as sharp or as soft as you like. PC gaming is pretty neat.

It is probably one of the most effective TAAs we have ever seen.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
X running at literally double the resolution of Pro is impressive, even if the average framerate is slightly less. Another game where the resolution gap is somehow much larger than the power gap between the two consoles.
Isn't it rendered more or less the 50% of more pixels which is the bandwidth advantage of the X over the Pro? Games bandwidth starving can be easily put in the shame the Pro hardware. I don't find it "much larger" than their power gap. Reasonable talking, how an hardware can overtake the power gap with the weaker? This narrative is kinda of absurd for such things.

Last edited:

D23

Oct 25, 2017
played on both pro and x- x looks way better and runs smoother to my eyes

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The difference between the Pro and X versions was like putting on glasses for the first time. It really is a major leap.
Yeah. It reminded me of the Red Dead Redemption 2-situation. Some "cinematic" effects or the reconstruction method is ruining the IQ of the Pro-version, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
for all those mentioning screen tearing on X, the devs have already stated it is a known issue in the beta and they should be resolving it for launch. Whether they do or not is another matter though.

Thanks for this.
Was asking about this in the Beta OT, but never saw any confirmation that the devs had addressed it to the community.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I would hazard a guess that despite 90% of people owning a base console, the audience for a tech analysis is probably the kind of audience who is more likely to own a mid gen upgrade.

Obviously not across the board. But in general the mainstream consumer is probably less interested in tech analysis/framerate graphs than enthusiasts who buy Pro/X.