• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
This is a good thing for both consoles that they are this close together. Now as someone who has both, this is a harder decision. I'm thinking maybe PS5 because of the haptics? I do love my Elite Controller though.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It's a few frames on the 120hz setting, it's barely (if at all) noticeable. Who gives a shit what console warriors think, although they will literally cling on to anything. I'm just happy that multiplats are performing really well on both consoles.

In a year or so I imagine that the Series X will gain a slight lead on resolution and possibly frames, once developers have had more time with the tools.

I'm thrilled to see, if the same people who call this "a few drops you can't even notice while playing", will say the same when the it switches in the future.

Last edited:

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
I say this as someone who games on PC mainly and is purchasing a PS5, why does it matter which console has more power?

I understand the hardware argument on PC where there can be huge variances in performance depending on which hardware you purchase and where brute force often matters in order to reach required framerates with certain games that are poorly optimized for the platform.

But on console, a closed ecosystem where third party games are often tailored towards the lowest performing hardware and built upwards from that point, surely you go for which console you think offers the better first party exclusives? Not which console offers 5fps more than the other in specific situations? Am I wrong in thinking that it's sort of redundant?
I think it's because a lot of people were essentially crapping on the PS5 for months, claiming that the XSX would definitely outperform it easily, and should definitely be the best place for multiplats. So these same people are probably annoyed that the PS5 is actually performing just as well, and in some small cases better than the XSX. I think you're right though - we should be happy that the consoles are so close and that there isn't so much of a disparity between them.

We should be happy we have two premium consoles who have taken a different outlook architecture wise (Microsoft went for power, Sony went for speed). The learnings we should have from this generation is going to be invaluable. It only bodes well for future console development to have such a competitive, close gaming environment right now.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Compared to last gen, this is extremely tame and dull. Those face off threads in 2013 were so much busier and noisier.
Yeah I suppose. We all want console wars to stop, but 70% of the Threads here are breeding grounds for them. Just old and tired of reading people be so tribal about the company they support. I am guilty of it here and there, but am trying to do better. I'd rather talk about how excellent a game is than find every little issue and trash it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
That's a part of the story. People are interested in why XSX isn't performing up to what the silicon should be capable vs.PS5. This is also economically important as XSX APU costs more than PS5. So it's more like nerd talk than anything.

Ah I see, well from an economical viewpoint I can see why people would challenge the performance, after all, when people pay more they instinctively expect better (whatever better means to them, in this case I imagine it means better visuals and performance) so I can see the argument there.

I just feel like (and I may be wrong here) a lot of the arguments around these issues are, sadly, merely just brand loyalty rearing its ugly head which I feel does just muddy discussions in general.

I have always been platform agnostic myself, I go where I feel I will personally find more enjoyment for my money and I don't mind what other people prefer or want to belittle their purchasing choices because I find it to be rude and just not very kind to others (not that I am saying anyone is doing that here in this thread, I haven't seen any of that after skimming through tbh, I am talking about the wider narrative in general around consumer purchases such as phones vs phones, console vs consoles, TV's vs TV's) where people feel the need to say "mine is better than yours" it's just, well, pointless imo, don't you agree?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think parity will be expected at this point but I do think it's okay to call out Microsoft for going so hard on the FLOPS metric. FLOPS are just one metric for measuring theoretical performance using floating point operations but there's only one true measurement and that's right here. How each console actually plays games in the real world. I don't think the visuals and performance on either console will be constrained by the tech. I don't think they were on last gen either. It will be about money, time, dev skill, and the will to push the limits.

It is interesting how there's a slight edge for the PS5. It's not really something I expected. I guess tools could be the reason but I doubt we will see a gap appear even if the tools mature or whatever. We'll just coast along with slight, unnoticable variances until Naughty Dog blows everyone out.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think it's because a lot of people were essentially crapping on the PS5 for months, claiming that the XSX would definitely outperform it easily, and should definitely be the best place for multiplats. So these same people are probably annoyed that the PS5 is actually performing just as well, and in some small cases better than the XSX. I think you're right though - we should be happy that the consoles are so close and that there isn't so much of a disparity between them.

We should be happy we have two premium consoles who have taken a different outlook architecture wise (Microsoft went for power, Sony went for speed). The learnings we should have from this generation is going to be invaluable. It only bodes well for future console development to have such a competitive, close gaming environment right now.

Could not agree more with that sentiment, I feel like if more people had this outlook then discussions about the subject would be much healthier, the focus, imo, should be on how much enjoyment people are getting from these systems and how much they love the games.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
This is a good thing for both consoles that they are this close together. Now as someone who has both, this is a harder decision. I'm thinking maybe PS5 because of the haptics? I do love my Elite Controller though.

Im in the same boat, i think PS5 for the games that really makes good use of the Dualsense and off course SX for the games that come to Gamepass directly. And other games i will see which has the best online community. And of course the exclusive platform BS that both make use off.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna repost the actual results again for the new page because I feel like some people have lost their minds while trying to own the opposition or whatever. These results are both incredibly good for both platforms. Virtually identical. A different of 1.8% recorded on the mean average taken on the 120HZ mode and essentially completely locked on both on the 4k/60 mode.

Another reminder that the COD at the launch of the PS4/Xbox One was 1080p on one console and 720p on the other and both had drops to the 30s and 40s. They've truly smashed it with Black Ops Cold War. These are super solid results.

Dynamic 4k/60fps, with raytracing.
Xbox Series X Mean framerate: 60fps
Xbox Series S Mean framerate: 59.43fps
PS5 Mean framerate: 59.9fps

Dynamic 1440p/120fps, no ray tracing
Xbox Series X Mean framerate: 114.93fps
PS5 Mean framerate: 117.02fps

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
All I see is good news here, with potential for slightly better news as the xsx sdk improves. No large gulf in performance or visuals between the two lead next gen consoles, and only some desperate console warriors looking for ANYTHING to stir the pot with.

As far as console war ammo goes, on a strictly technical level, this generation is going to be nothing but blanks -- and that kills some of you, doesn't it?

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Wow people are getting really worked up over results that would pretty much be within margin of error on a lot of pc benchmarks. I can't believe that guy asking if the 1x is shit in a dm, get some perspective on life, damn.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Seems like both are fantastic. I know it's COD and they arrive for locked frame rates anyway, but seems like great results.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

lol people getting worked up over this tiny difference.

Everyone should be happy that they have close performance and it will just come down to whose first party games you like the most along with controller/services.

For the first time in a while none of the big 3 have massively fucked up their console launch/strategy, should be celebrated.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Just gonna repost the actual results again for the new page because I feel like some people have lost their minds while trying to own the opposition or whatever. These results are both incredibly good for both platforms. Virtually identical. A different of 1.8% recorded on the mean average taken on the 120HZ mode and essentially completely locked on both on the 4k/60 mode.

I cannot believe more people haven't thrown their XSX out of the window.. this is preposterous!

/s

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"Shouldn't be happening" based on...?

The PS5 has a number of hardware advantages over the SX, its better dev environment besides. The problem with the elevation of TF performance as the end all be all of judging hardware is that it doesn't nearly tell the whole story.

The SX does have a modest pure TF advantage that will be better utilized over time, but it's not a blowout by any stretch of imagination. When you have systems as close as these two are, with each having their own positives and negatives, the "winner" of these head to heads won't always be the one with the TF lead.

I expect there to be some PS5 games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come. Ultimately though games are going to be in general pretty even throughout this gen, and that's a good thing.
What are those hardware advantages? Because ps5 is also consistently performing below a 5700, which is a match for specs save for the clocks and the fact that a 5700 has exclusive memory usage.

To make more clear, you are implying ps5 is punching above its weight due some customizations Sony may have done when in fact its also underperforming compared to its specs.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I mean it's already pretty fun going back to threads where the consensus was that Series X would be THE place to play third party games at launch.
Yep, and also fun going even further back to 2019 when specs were only rumoured and everyone claimed the PS5 would be more powerful and THE place to play third party games. Fanboys eh

What's hilarious to me is how lopsided comments like these are. Ok... so the consensus is that the XSX hardware isn't being taken "full advantage of"... great. Fair point.

But neither is the PS5.

As tools get more mature on the XSX, so will they too on the PS5. So it's hilarious to me that people think saying this only somehow apples to the XSX. And if console development history is anything to go by, devs would still be squeezing extra performance out of thee machines in 6 years' time. I think it would be very shortsighted of anyone, to think that while techniques and tools improve on one, it wouldn't also be improving on the other.
Not sure how it was lopsided when I intentionally kept it generic so as to apply to both consoles.

Yes, as the generation unfolds, devs will start to squeeze more out of both consoles. Whats important to note however is that on paper, the XSX is more powerful; and that we've had numerous reports (to the point we can safely assume it as true) of XDK tools coming in hot.

"I think it would be very shortsighted of anyone, to think that while techniques and tools improve on one, it wouldn't also be improving on the other."

Has anyone actually suggested this or are you making it up?

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
What are those hardware advantages? Because ps5 is also consistently performing below a 5700, which is a match for specs save for the clocks and the fact that a 5700 has exclusive memory usage.

To make more clear, you are implying ps5 is punching above its weight due some customizations Sony may have done when in fact its also underperforming compared to its specs.
Can you provide some proof of this? Because i've a 5700XT and my GPU can't do more than 1440p in every game lol

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

Can you provide evidence that it's consistently outperformed by a 5700? Not seeing this anywhere and just dropping stuff like this as if it's fact is not a good look for you.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

For last gen I tended to play SP games on my one X and multiplayer on my PS4 Pro, no real reason. In the back of my mind I figured the more powerful X would run stuff "better" but honestly I'm pretty sure it never really was that different between the two, and the videos in OP kinda seem to back that up for this new gen now too.

For this gen I'm going to try to play most games on PS5 and gamepass games on my series X, and the reason is the most banal of things: I prefer getting platinum trophies to 1000/1000GS. I don't even try most of the time, but if I do... well, thats it.

I must admit though Smart Delivery is looking nicer and nicer after I had a lot of issues with COD Black Ops on PS5 (game keeps wanting me to download and run the PS4 version instead of the PS5 edition I have installed), but hopefully Sony cleans that up a bit in the next few months.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they at the exact same visual fidelity/settings?

Either way it's 2fps different in 120hz mode and .1 fps xsx advantage in 60hz mode.

Pretty much the exact same performance, but ps5 has some drops in 4k/60mode but runs 2fps faster in the mode you'd want vrr for but it doesn't do vrr....

Either way both very close performance so that's good.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands

Another reminder that the COD at the launch of the PS4/Xbox One was 1080p on one console and 720p on the other and both had drops to the 30s and 40s. They've truly smashed it with Black Ops Cold War. These are super solid results.

Unacceptable, blood must flow for that 00.1fps difference.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Link too this 5700 comparison?

Raigor

May 14, 2020

9 pages for this? A 3 fps advantage in the 120fps mode? People have way too much time to dedicate to console wars and arguing about a mere <2% advantage

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Are they at the exact same visual fidelity/settings?

Either way it's 2fps different in 120hz mode and .1 fps xsx advantage in 60hz mode.

Pretty much the exact same performance, but ps5 has some drops in 4k/60mode but runs 2fps faster in the mode you'd want vrr for but it doesn't do vrr....

Either way both very close performance so that's good.

No PS5 version has more smoke effects coming out from guns than both XS versions and more birds in the horizon. Check page 5.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has someone compared the resolution?
It's in the video description:

Both PS5 and Series X in the ray tracing mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1800. PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x1200. PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a form of temporal reconstruction to reconstruct the horizontal resolution up to 2560 when the horizontal resolution is below this figure.

flyshow

Oct 31, 2017
Xbox Series S doesn't have a 120fps mode or a ray tracing mode

This piece of information could be a bit ambiguous. Is it confirmed that the XSS version does not support raytracing?
The XSS version doesn't have a toggle-able raytracing option in game, but it has ray tracing data installed with exact same size as the XSX version (~11GB).

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

A dev did this article saying comparing platform is much more than a Teraflops number. After all of this is logic. They use AMD for the APU and they choose the same MSRP, cost difference is probably very low between the two consoles. If the PS5 was 399 dollars, there would be a difference.

The PS5 is $399!

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Could not agree more with that sentiment, I feel like if more people had this outlook then discussions about the subject would be much healthier, the focus, imo, should be on how much enjoyment people are getting from these systems and how much they love the games.
Era gone era unfortunately...

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Slightly controversial theory here... but I don't think this has much to do with the tools on the Xbox.

We have multiple games now from there different devs that show a PS5 advantage in a specific type of scenario. In DMC and COD, it's the 120fps mode, and in AC:V, it's when there is a lot of stuff on the screen.

In every case that comes down to just GPU grunt, rendering at peak rez and lower framerate, we have seen a similar difference in performance between the PS5 ad XSX with the XSX taking the lead. But I feel that the areas the PS5 fares better have more to do with some kinda hardware advantage that is not obviously clear now. It may be a CPU advantage, a cache advantage, or even a RAM advantage. Whatever it is it's there. Because we can't say the XSX tools are only limited in a specific type of game mode but fine in others.

The differences are o me still all round negligible, but I am more interested in what exactly this cold b.I just don't agree with the whole tools thing as both systems would see benefits with more mature tools.
Not sure how it was lopsided when I intentionally kept it generic so as to apply to both consoles.

Yes, as the generation unfolds, devs will start to squeeze more out of both consoles. Whats important to note however is that on paper, the XSX is more powerful; and that we've had numerous reports (to the point we can safely assume it as true) of XDK tools coming in hot.

"I think it would be very shortsighted of anyone, to think that while techniques and tools improve on one, it wouldn't also be improving on the other."

Has anyone actually suggested this or are you making it up?
Not making anything up... it's a very easy and understandable assessment to make from just a cursory glance of all the comparison threads so far with people writing off the PS5 advantage to nothing more than XSX having underdeveloped tools. I am sorry, but how else is that to be taken or interpreted, especially when every mention of the tools weren't even as generic as yours. They usually would literally say "XSX tools must be undeveloped"..etc.

So its not like I was singling you out or anything, it's just a common narrative I have been noticing of late. And while I actually even agree with it, I was just pointing out that that observation goes both ways. In this thread, alone I could probably find over 40 posts making that assertion and would quote them as examples but that would be rude.

one

Nov 30, 2017
Looking forward to seeing this thread 1 year later. Or someone can create an aggregated thread for the list of these comparisons.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Exactly, only people who have been warrioring on this power fantasy trip are upset by some of these very early returns, I never have chose a console just because of power all I care about is the games I can play on it And any other innovative things on the console. Anyone getting hung up on most powerful or incrementally better performance on one console or another just are looking stupid people like me have been warning people for months but they got caught up on the hype, will the XSX out perform at times absolutely but what everyone has been saying is all of this stuff depends on what devs focus on, and how easy it is to develop for a console and how much extra time devs have to optimize. The XSX more than likely will do better in certain games later in the gen but overall we are going to have near parity and everyone should be happy by that and can be happy with whatever platform they invested in, and where their friends are and what games/services make them most excited to play and go for that system.

Oct 30, 2017
9 pages for this? A 3 fps advantage in the 120fps mode? People have way too much time to dedicate to console wars and arguing about a mere <2% advantage
What exactly is the issue here? Much of the conversation is about expected relative performance compared to what we are seeing here.

With PS5 having a slight edge, there is certainly discussion to be had regarding system design choices, development tool maturity, and how we might expect this generation to pan out in terms of performance. And then the broader discussion how multiplat performance may not be one of the selling points of one console over another like in previous generations.

Almost Nobody here is arguing that one version with ever so fewer dropped frames is substantially better than the other here. So I don't really see the issue with discussing our expectations of multiplat performance vs. what we are seeing now.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I speak if the PS5 was a 399 dollars console with Digital version even cheaper like 349 or 299 dollars. This is not the case. At the end the BOM of tht two consoles is very close.

I doubt they that close , well i guess it depends on what you call close .
Cause something like a $30 difference is $300 million for 10 million consoles .